PDA

View Full Version : Camping

Jinx
05-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Have you ever been camping? Do you like to do it?

I've only ever been "camping" in a camping trailer on a camping ground. I don't think I really got the full experience, and wouldn't even call it camping, but I'd be up to the idea of it.

Faris
05-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Love it, miss it. :( If I could go at least once a year for a weekend, that would be awesome.

Pumpkin
05-28-2013, 04:52 PM
I love camping. In a tent by the lake especially.

A few of the more stable childhood summers that I had, we would drive up to the lake with tents and sleeping bags and a blow up raft and a cooler of beer (not for me), water, hot dogs and marshmallows. We would go get our own firewood and spend 3 days just out in the woods, far away from everyone, no technology to be found, and just have a fun, relaxing weekend. My favorite part was stopping at the last gas station before we got o the mountains and get giant peanut butter cookies.

I miss camping. I hope Joe Bryan and I get to go together this summer. I haven't gone in years.

Shorty
05-28-2013, 05:56 PM
You bet your ass I'm going camping this summer.

We went all the time when I was a kid, but in the last few years with friends it's been sparse - 0-1 times a year. :(

Flaming Ice
05-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Used to go camping at a place where they have rattlesnakes near there.

There's also a bay nearby (there're different trails near the park) and some people were swimming in the water, nearby was some underwater hole that a snake was in.

Then you go along the trails and you'll have rattlesnakes slither in front of you on the trail. Also, there's a rock formation that has a hole going in that you could climb through to get to the other side (else I think it would have been a long walk). As far as I recall you had to climb up it though...not very fun going back down x.x.

Another time my mom brought herbal essences shampoo and some bee was flying around my head after ~.~

I love camping. In a tent by the lake especially.

A few of the more stable childhood summers that I had, we would drive up to the lake with tents and sleeping bags and a blow up raft and a cooler of beer (not for me), water, hot dogs and marshmallows.

Spider dogs and smores

Pike
05-28-2013, 06:19 PM
I went to a "weekend summer camp" thing a couple of times as a kid and it mostly sucked. It was freezing all the time and I wasn't interested in any of the normal activities (because I can't swim and am terrified of water, and I always injure myself hiking, and so forth and so forth.)

Tigmafuzz
05-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Camping is the best.

Anyone who disagrees will be thrown in the dungeon.

Flaming Ice
05-28-2013, 07:26 PM
I went to a "weekend summer camp" thing a couple of times as a kid and it mostly sucked. It was freezing all the time and I wasn't interested in any of the normal activities (because I can't swim and am terrified of water, and I always injure myself hiking, and so forth and so forth.)

Some places have playgrounds :)

Chris
05-28-2013, 10:46 PM
I love pitching tents.

Parker
05-28-2013, 11:30 PM
I went with scouts and it was pretty weird. They made us run around in our underwear at midnight.

Otherwise it was pretty cool and fun but lmao at the idea of me being without internet for a week or even weekend

Raistlin
05-28-2013, 11:47 PM
I went camping a bit when I was younger, but not since my early teens. I enjoyed it, but haven't cared enough to actively pursue it in my adult years.

Sephex
05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm in the middle. On one hand, I did have a good time the few times it happened when I was a kid. On the other hand there are days where I can only take so much of being outdoors. If push came to shove and I was forced to deal with it, I would be fine. I guess I just hate hot/humid weather outside. So yeah, if the weather didn't feel like a sauna, I would be game.

Shiny
05-29-2013, 12:36 AM
I love pitching tents.
This probably has a double meaning.

Denmark
05-29-2013, 12:41 AM
I love pitching tents.
This probably has a double meaning.

i was going to reply with an incredulous "probably?" but then i realized that Chris may not actually love setting up shelters to sleep in while camping

fire_of_avalon
05-29-2013, 12:45 AM
I love to camp but I have no one with whom I may camp. And I am not into camping alone.

Clouded Sky
05-29-2013, 02:52 AM
Oh man, camping! We used to go as a family all the time!

I also went last weekend, but it was this little baby cabin so I don't know if I can really consider it camping.

I'm getting a small one person tent so that I can guerilla camp and hike from the Pacific Ocean to the Sea of Japan. Camping is seriously awesome. I'm so sick of the city. :(

Pumpkin
05-29-2013, 04:02 AM
I love to camp but I have no one with whom I may camp. And I am not into camping alone.

You should camp with sharky and I and we will have fun and finally meet and concrete plans will motivate us to actually go camp :excited:

Unbreakable Will
05-29-2013, 04:57 AM
I would have enjoyed my last camping trip a few years ago but I had a constant barrage of "I wanna go home, it's cold, its itchy, there are bugs... wahwahwah." from two of the women that went with us. So i ended up wanting to kill myself the entire smurfing time. So yeah I enjoy it as long as weak-ass folk don't come along.

NorthernChaosGod
05-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Camping is pretty cool. The last time I went was in 2010 with some coworkers. We brought a bunch of beer and food to grill and it was awesome.

Pheesh
05-29-2013, 08:02 AM
We used to go camping all the time when I was younger. I loved it. As I grew older it slowed a bit, but I've gone with friends a couple of times, most notably we went camping for a friend's birthday a while ago and oh my god was it fun. It was the first time I properly went with just friends and we were over the legal drinking age, needless to say it was insanely awesome. I ended up in a freezing cold lake... in my underpants... quite inebriated.

The camping we did when I was younger was fun for different reasons, my Step Dad at the time was a massive Australian nature buff, so I learned a lot about native wildlife and weird foods that could be found out in the bush and just general Australian survival stuff. Unfortunately I've forgotten most of that now :(

Aulayna
05-29-2013, 08:40 AM
I dislike camping. A lot. To be fair the only experience I have of camping was with my parents and it was pretty much the most unfun thing I can think of from my childhood.

The only time I will tolerate it is when camping out overnight to get Centre Court tickets for Wimbledon.

Værn
05-29-2013, 09:53 AM
A friend of mine mentioned camping just a few days ago, and I linked him this random episode of Corner Gas. Brent and I have the same idea of a perfect camping trip.
ftmsKcNsBn4

But seriously, camping is more appealing to me than my mom's idea of a relaxing vacation on a beach in Florida. Wearing a jacket and pants beneath the shade of trees makes for a much more pleasant time than wearing only a pair of shorts while directly exposed to intense sunlight. No amount of insect bites, poison ivy, or food poisoning that I could possibly accrue can begin to compare to the agony of the blistering sunburns which I am so prone to.

Shlup
05-29-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm really good at squatting to pee. I really need to invest in a pad for under my sleeping bag though.

Pike
05-29-2013, 11:15 AM
But seriously, camping is more appealing to me than my mom's idea of a relaxing vacation on a beach in Florida.

I just avoid both.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-29-2013, 05:49 PM

You should camp with sharky and I and we will have fun and finally meet and concrete plans will motivate us to actually go camp :excited:

:up:

I've done lots of "go to the lake with a tent, beer, food, and grill out" style camping. I've also done lots of hiking into an area, setting up a light camp, and then hiking back out.

I like "low impact/no trace" or subsistence style hiking and camping, but I suppose it's not as laid back and carefree as what a lot of campers prefer.

I enjoy it because you have minimal gear, minimal people, and a focus on observing the wildlife around you. If you do it properly, it really does give you the opportunity to see things you would have normally missed, and teaches you more about things around you than you'd normally learn. Plus you can see areas the average day hiker doesn't get exposed to.

Araciel
05-29-2013, 05:58 PM
I dig it. Gonna buy a canoe this year and try to get out there.

noxious.sunshine
05-29-2013, 08:13 PM
I only like camping if there's a body of water close enough to go swim in and is secluded at the same time.

My dad bought me a little Fisher Price tent when I was little. My big brother and I once tried to for real camp in it out in the woods in our back yard. But then it rained and the tent, needless to say, wasn't water proof.

Aside from that, "camping" for us involved going to the lake on our boat during the late spring/summer/early fall - pretty much during the warm season when we could swim. We had a small Sea Ray boat with a cabin (master "bed", mini sink & toilet/shower combo & a little cuddy cabin for me and my siblings). We'd stock up on food and beer and diet pepsi for my dad and whatever the hell us kids ate and we'd go drop anchor at this little island way far away from the marina. We'd stay at least a weekend - swimming, innertubing, kneeboarding, etc. It was always a lot of fun. I miss those days.

If I go for -real- camping now, I've gotta have an air mattress. I have a bad back. Sleeping on the hard ground with a flimsy sleeping bag for cushioning just wouldn't cut it.