PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Protagonists You Hate

Forsaken Lover
05-30-2013, 04:59 AM
I feel like ranting.

I'm going through DmC right now and I'm enjoying myself. However, getting online kinda ruins my enjoyment because of all the spite and it makes me want to post this.

I. Hate. Dante. He is not lovably over-the-top. He is not endearingly obnoxious. He is an unbearable blend of the worst cliches imaginable and there is nothing at all to miss about him. He was one of the most shallow and transparent attempts at being "kewl" ever devised. He's basically The Poochie of video games.

Nu Dante may not be the best character ever but old Dante was a good candidate for one of the worst characters ever.

Well that's me. Have at you. List the characters you played but wished to god you didn't have to.

Skyblade
05-30-2013, 06:10 AM
Ramza Beoulve (Final Fantasy Tactics). Do I really need to go into this one again?

Connor (Assassin's Creed 3). Really? You open the game with Haytham Kenway, a guy who has a simply awesome personality in the first few minutes of playing him, and then drop us into the life of little Connor, who displays all the personality of a brick. Maybe he gets better later, but thus far, I haven't cared enough to play the game further to find out. I completed his training, started in on the hunt of the Templars... And gave up. Not solely due to the bland main character, but had I still been playing Haytham, I'd probably have gone quite a bit further.

TrollHunter
05-30-2013, 09:25 AM
I feel like ranting.

I'm going through DmC right now and I'm enjoying myself. However, getting online kinda ruins my enjoyment because of all the spite and it makes me want to post this.

I. Hate. Dante. He is not lovably over-the-top. He is not endearingly obnoxious. He is an unbearable blend of the worst cliches imaginable and there is nothing at all to miss about him. He was one of the most shallow and transparent attempts at being "kewl" ever devised. He's basically The Poochie of video games.

Nu Dante may not be the best character ever but old Dante was a good candidate for one of the worst characters ever.

Well that's me. Have at you. List the characters you played but wished to god you didn't have to.

-cough-
Devil May Cry 3-Dante With The Motorcycle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHY6xRpktk)
I don't think you really get it, and I hate to be the guy to say that. It wasn't so much an attempt at being cool as it was just an embrace and exaggeration of all those "cool guy" cliches. They were just having fun with him as a character, and in a lot of his games they didn't take him seriously at all.
He may have been 2-dimensional, but he was always fun to watch. Take a look at bayonetta, as it is much the same there. Lots of exaggerated stereotypes used to poke fun and make for an entertaining game.
I can see why you wouldn't like him though, as a lot of it is very ham-fisted and ridiculous, though for me that's part of why I love him.
The new dante is actually fleshed out and 3-dimensional, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I still personally prefer the 2-dimensional shallow dante though, as that's what I'm looking for when I pop in my devil may cry discs. Over-the-top combat, hilarious music, and a story that doesn't take itself too seriously.
If I wanted a more serious game... I'd pop in god of war, which I also love but play for different reasons.

Though, that's just my off-topic rant.

My answer: A real one will be coming soon

Loony BoB
05-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Does Terra count? Because she annoyed the crap out of me. I get that "oh, but you'd be depressed to and give up hope all the time as well if you were in her situation!", but oh man, I'm playing a game and I'm trying to enjoy it, but she keeps bringing in the blues. Urgh.

Beyond that, eh, nobody really stands out off the top of my head. D= If you were to count Vaan, I wouldn't say I hate him but I didn't find him amazingly appealing.

Del Murder
05-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Terra was awesome and her reaction to the circumstances she had to endure was pretty realistic. And I didn't think she was that depressed. As the game proceeds she does gain some more hope for the world.

My answer is Calista from The Last Story. She's just such bland, stereotypical 'trapped princess' character (think Marle from Chrono Trigger but with absolutely no edge to her). This character has been done several times before, and she adds nothing new to the model, and in fact is missing several characteristics that have made past versions a bit more likable. If I could describe her in one word it would be 'nothingburger'.

Pike
05-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Beyond that, eh, nobody really stands out off the top of my head. D=

No Tidus? :greenie:

I'm having trouble thinking of a protagonist I "hate". Some characters were more bland or boring to me than others but active hatred? I don't know if I've reached that point with any game yet.

Del Murder
05-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Tidus sucked due to the voice. If there wasn't VA in FFX then Tidus would be much more accepted. Imagine Squall with VA. Gods he would be the worst.

Pike
05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
I like Tidus personally. I thought he was hilarious and fun.

I just like to tease BoB. :p

Freya
05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Connor. They dropped the ball on AC3. :(

Pike
05-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Connor is a hottie though! So is that one guy you play at the beginning of the game whose name I forget.

Freya
05-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Haytham!

Pike
05-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Haytham was great. I wanted to play the whole entire game as him. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/smiley/emot-allears_zps3b660dd9.gif

Sephex
05-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Tidus sucked due to the voice. If there wasn't VA in FFX then Tidus would be much more accepted. Imagine Squall with VA. Gods he would be the worst.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/crazycat.gif

Also, my answer would be Jake from RE6. His goal in life is to tryhard out of every situation he's in.

Ultima Shadow
05-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Edge from Star Ocean 4. The worst of all overly cliché RPG MC's I can think of.

Skyblade
05-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Connor is a hottie though! So is that one guy you play at the beginning of the game whose name I forget.

Nobody ever reads my posts, do they?

Connor was the third protagonist mentioned in this thread. And I talked about Haytham at the same time.

Haytham was awesome. Pity they then dropped Connor on us.

And, frankly, Del, it depends on the VA they choose, and how the voice direction goes. Done properly, I think Squall with voice acting could work. But it would be difficult to pull off, I admit.

Pike
05-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Nobody ever reads my posts, do they?

What was that?

I think maybe Skyblade posted just now but I'm not sure.

Madame Adequate
05-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Edge from Star Ocean 4. The worst of all overly cliché RPG MC's I can think of.

I didn't mind him for the one reason that when he causes the alternate Earth to be destroyed he actually cares. Now, the means through which he expresses that isn't very enjoyable to watch, but I'm sick and fucking tired of people acting like something from an alternate dimension has zero value.

Ultima Shadow
05-31-2013, 12:53 AM
I didn't mind him for the one reason that when he causes the alternate Earth to be destroyed he actually cares. Now, the means through which he expresses that isn't very enjoyable to watch, but I'm sick and fucking tired of people acting like something from an alternate dimension has zero value.
Has there ever been a case where a typical hero-character has not cared about a world getting destroyed/lots of people getting killed etc? His reaction to that event was understandable and good to a degree, but also to be expected and not something that made him stand out to me in any way. It didn't make up for how incredibly over-the-top cheesy and dull he felt through the rest of the whole game.

To me, it's more like: if he actually hadn't cared at all, despite how he usually acts, he would have been the single greatest failure of a character to ever grace video game history. :p

Loony BoB
06-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Beyond that, eh, nobody really stands out off the top of my head. D=

No Tidus? :greenie:
I guess I kind of thrust my memories of FFX out of my mind, because yeah, Tidus and Yuna are annoying as hell and they are at least just as bad as Terra for me.

Like you, though, I don't really hate any of them. I just find them incredibly lacking in any form of charisma whatsoever, or alternatively just plain outright annoying.

NeoCracker
06-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Has there ever been a case where a typical hero-character has not cared about a world getting destroyed/lots of people getting killed etc? His reaction to that event was understandable and good to a degree, but also to be expected and not something that made him stand out to me in any way. It didn't make up for how incredibly over-the-top cheesy and dull he felt through the rest of the whole game.

To me, it's more like: if he actually hadn't cared at all, despite how he usually acts, he would have been the single greatest failure of a character to ever grace video game history. :p

I still can't bring myself to hate the guy. I don't like him, but whenever I remember The Last Hope, I can't remember a damn thing about him. I mostly remember fun combat, and Meracle turning into an adorable kitten.

maybee
06-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Master Chief the most overrated video game character ever created since Video Game's birth.

Quindiana Jones
06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
He was cool before they decided to deify him.