PDA

View Full Version : Ma'am

Pumpkin
05-30-2013, 05:56 PM
I find it interesting that there seems to be a cultural difference in regards to the word ma'am. Where I am from, (Ottawa, Ontario) it is considered rude to call someone ma'am unless they are visibly over the age of 50. A lot of younger people would get scolded at high school jobs for calling a woman ma'am. The proper term to use is miss. I was also watchin a television show last night, where the woman was in her late 30's and she started to feel old because a younger man called her ma'am. This was in Seattle, I think? I've seen it in a show that took place in Boston as well.

Here in upstate South Carolina however, it is common to call everyone ma'am and considered polite, no matter what the age. I have been called ma'am on many occasions, and I find it amusing, since I'm obviously young and I know it isn't reserved for only older women as it is where I am from.

Which way is ma'am used or interpreted as where you're from? Any other words come to mind with this kind of effect?

Pike
05-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Here most people don't use any sort of honorific like that, to the point that it takes me by surprise if someone does.

So I think "ma'am" and "miss" are both pretty equally acceptable for women here, people just never use them.

Psychotic
05-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Never ever used. Maybe perhaps to address the Queen or a female officer who is higher ranked than yourself if you're in the army/police. Madam is more common in Britain.

Shaibana
05-30-2013, 06:30 PM
for me its just a way of being polite to a woman.
though i find it a bit uncomfy hen they someb0dy calls me ma'am, becaus i also think its for the older ppl. though i say about 25+

Freya
05-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Ma'am is the female version of Sir. Or so that's how I was taught. So anyone you don't know deserves a Ma'am or Sir if they are older than you or not. You don't know if they deserve the respect or not but you should give it anyway because it's polite!

Shorty
05-30-2013, 06:47 PM
When people call me ma'am it makes me feel old and I feel sad.

Calliope
05-30-2013, 06:51 PM
25+? Fuck, I feel old suddenly.

Roogle
05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Ah, I never use titles like ma'am or sir unless it is required by the type of accent that I am using. I think those terms can be rather outdated!

Pike
05-30-2013, 07:57 PM
I like how you guys don't like being called "ma'am" cause it makes you feel old, but I don't like being called "ma'am" because it sounds girly as hell and I'm not :colbert:

Chris
05-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Ma'am and Miss are very common in the Philippines, as they're still deeply rooted in tradition and courtesy.

In Denmark, it's like, "hey, you". :(

Raistlin
05-31-2013, 02:15 AM
I'll use both "ma'am" and "miss" for most ages, though now that I think about it I think I use "miss" more in professional contexts.

Sephex
05-31-2013, 02:22 AM
I think people who try to use any word like Ma'am, miss, or my lady when the setting is inappropriate are fedorable.

fire_of_avalon
05-31-2013, 03:31 AM
I live in the South. Everyone is Ma'am. Sometimes people are Miss too, though. If I refer to a non-present third party it's Ms though.

Rebellious Eagle
05-31-2013, 04:18 AM
Almost no one says ma'am or sir up here in the Northeast. But when I go to the South, like noted, I'm always ma'am even though I'm younger than most people who have called me it. It's pretty amusing xD

Jinx
05-31-2013, 04:56 AM
I get called both. Miss makes me feel like a kid, ma'am makes me wonder if I look old or something. I don't mind either though, I think it's nice.

Shorty
05-31-2013, 05:51 AM
I think Miss is cute and sweet.

noxious.sunshine
05-31-2013, 08:13 AM
When I worked at the Elementary School, I was "Miss Jamie" - but that's a whole different protocol. And of course having been a server, using "Sir" & "Ma'am" are commonplace - especially 'cuz I live in the South as well.

I don't really force the habit onto my daughter, though. My best friend and her husband practically beat those terms into their sons, though.

Faris
05-31-2013, 01:11 PM
I only use it when I'm being sarcastic or joking, especially with male friends.

Where I am from, (Ottawa, Ontario) it is considered rude to call someone ma'am unless they are visibly over the age of 50.
That's news to me :shobon:

Unbreakable Will
05-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Ma'am is the female version of Sir. Or so that's how I was taught. So anyone you don't know deserves a Ma'am or Sir if they are older than you or not. You don't know if they deserve the respect or not but you should give it anyway because it's polite!

Pumpkin
05-31-2013, 04:49 PM
I only use it when I'm being sarcastic or joking, especially with male friends.

Where I am from, (Ottawa, Ontario) it is considered rude to call someone ma'am unless they are visibly over the age of 50.
That's news to me :shobon:

Really :O

I've seen people get fussed at about it all the time. Heck I was a supervisor at Tim Horton's and I had customers telling me to fuss at the employees about it.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-31-2013, 06:17 PM

I live in the South. Everyone is Ma'am. Sometimes people are Miss too, though. If I refer to a non-present third party it's Ms though.

I'll just go ahead and solidify this Southern stereotype. Not everyone here does it, but if they were raised to be polite and respectful to others, it's how they're taught to show that respect. Every woman is ma'am, every man is sir.

EDIT: So if you're vising down here, or you can tell someone is from the South when they're visiting elsewhere, try not to be offended. It's meant to be polite. :)

Pumpkin
05-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Calling someone miss can be polite to, though. Apparently more so to some people including just a few here who said ma'am would make them feel old.

Dat Matt
05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
For me, Ma'am is never used. Miss is used for some of my female friends, usually when I want to give them a title for some reason. I have never given a male a title, and never will.

IN that vein, some suppliers at my work call me Sir. It freaks me out to be called Sir when I am only 22.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-31-2013, 07:19 PM
I have never given a male a title, and never will.

Why?

Shauna
05-31-2013, 07:34 PM
I use Mr/Miss/Mrs on a daily basis due to work things - only polite to call people such things when demanding they give me all their delicious money.

But in general day to day life? I don't tend to use such formalities. No ma'am, no madam, no sir, no miss. I don't tend to get referred to as any formal titles either. I wonder if this is another bizarre NA/EU culture difference! I am interested for more people from this side of the pond to respond. :excite:

Pike
05-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Where I am if somebody uses one of these terms you know they're either from the South or the military. xD Because no one uses them otherwise.

Citizen Bleys
05-31-2013, 11:36 PM
I'll only call someone "ma'am" if I don't like her.

For the same reason, if someone calls me "sir" I respond, "Don't call me sir, my parents were married."

Shlup
06-01-2013, 01:05 AM
I don't discriminate--anyone can be a ma'am or a sir. My coworkers are not always pleased by this.

Pike
06-01-2013, 01:26 AM
I wish people would call me sir.

That would be awesome.

Miriel
06-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I think the first time I was called ma'am a few years ago, I literally stopped and just gaped at them in horror. I was like... 20 at the time? Totally uncool.

Aulayna
06-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Ma'am/Miss etc are all used interchangeably here. Ma'am is just a more posher version of Miss really.

Malboro-Menace
06-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Ma'am is not commonly used here. Miss, however, is used a lot and madam is the most formal "posh" way to address a woman. Sir is also common for referring to men. Around here, none of these seem to differ between older and younger people.

Quindiana Jones
06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I read a great article about this in some American newspaper whilst I was over there. Someone complained about the honorific, and the author quite rightfully chewed her out for being so stupid. It was glorious to read the complete lack of tact or subtlety in a broadsheet. :D

Ma'am/Madam = Sir.

Araciel
06-03-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm bringing back My Lady.

Freya
06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
M'lady if you're not noble born :D

Loony BoB
06-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I often refer to Danielle as 'the good lady' or 'my good lady'.

Aulayna
06-03-2013, 04:53 PM
When I lived in the ends the formality was often "oi, bitch"

In Ireland it's usually "Sorry" (pronounced with really strong emphasis on the end, SOH-REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

Araciel
06-03-2013, 05:27 PM
M'lady if you're not noble born :D

Exactly, my lady.

Shiny
06-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Miss is more common where I'm from. Miss and "missy" if you are younger. I have never used or been called a m'am.

Mirage
06-04-2013, 12:20 AM
People never use words like these in Norway. No sir, no ma'am, no miss, no mister. Norway's just a really impolite country I guess.