PDA

View Full Version : What type of Magic bests suits you?

Dat Matt
05-30-2013, 08:07 PM
I had a thought earlier that there is a tonne of magic in the final fantasy series. Therefore I wondered what sort of Magic best suits the EoFF users. Do you focus on:

White Magic - A focus on restorative magic to heal allies
Black Magic - A focus on destructive magic to demolish foes
Red Magic - A jack of all trades and a master of none
Blue Magic - Learning the way of the beast by using their moves against them

Personally, I have an affinity with green magic. Whenever I was playing FFXII I would spend most of my time buffing my party using spells like protect, shell and bravery in order to improve the tip the scales in your favor. While this may not have been a mana drain at the start it proved invaluable in the end game, especially against more powerful bosses like Omega Mk XIII, Ultima and Yazmat.

These are some examples of general types of magic found in several FF franchises, but what magic do you enjoy using the most.

Gamblet
05-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Black Magic if that includes summoning. Why? Because it is freakin' cool. :cool:

Chris
05-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Blue Magic can be so much fun to use, but also a pain in the ass to acquire. I especially enjoy the method in FFIX. You eat an enemy, and you grow big and strong? It's what mama always told me. :jess:

Karifean
05-30-2013, 09:33 PM
If I know how to use it, Blue Magic. (Mainly VII Enemy Skill Materia, VIII Quistis)

Otherwise it's a tie between Black and White Magic. I've never actually played a game that has a dedicated Red Mage :/

Dat Matt
05-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Black Magic if that includes summoning. Why? Because it is freakin' cool. :cool:

I'd say summoning could be considered seperate. There is a specific Class for it in the tactics games too.

Shauna
05-30-2013, 11:39 PM
If I had to pick a mage type, I'd prolly go with White Mage. I like helping people and whatnot.

We all know I'm a tank though, forget magic. xD

Formalhaut
05-30-2013, 11:42 PM
I'd like to be a mix between White and Green.

Pumpkin
05-31-2013, 04:36 AM
I'd say Black Magic. I've always gravitated towards Black Mages and their spells. Especially the Ice and Blizzard spells.

Least of all Green Magic. I get all exceted when I learn status buffs, but then I never use them, except occasionally haste. I usually prefer to spend a turn doing damage and healing instead of buffing, even though I am aware that it can turn the tides of a battle. I guess it just doesn't click with me.

Jinx
05-31-2013, 05:04 AM
Black Magic. Firefirefirefirefire.

Laddy
05-31-2013, 05:22 AM
Green Magic is best magic.

Shorty
05-31-2013, 05:49 AM
Black magic. I am the ice queen.

Green magic and blue magic are the worst. No thanks.

Mahad
05-31-2013, 06:14 AM
I have a strong preference for black magic. Big spells are my fav. Where buffs are concerned I prefer time magic, as I'll use Haste to gain the edge and Quicken to end it fast. Although not one of the magic categories, Alchemy and Sagacity skills are pretty useful too. None are as fun as blue magic, thought.

Gamblet
05-31-2013, 10:16 AM

I'd say summoning could be considered seperate. There is a specific Class for it in the tactics games too.

Summoning magic then for me.

SteahMeLee
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Summoning is more related to White Magic than Black... Most Summoners are also White Mages (I apply this even when I create the classes myself)...

Anyway, mine is probably White Magic... I'm a pacifist in real life... :p

Loony BoB
05-31-2013, 11:26 AM
White Magic, although when gaming I naturally assume tanking and offensive melee roles. Magic isn't really my area of expertise, however Paladins make good use of white magic so I'll go with that. If you're going by personality, though, I'd say white magic still suits and I always want to help friends and fix problems, which I suppose that relates to in some way.

Mirage
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Time magic, white magic, blue magic. Black magic is kind of boring to me. Summoning is cool, but the cost usually doesn't justify the effects. Green magic is just some FF12 nonsense and is clearly just a mix of black and white spells.

Dat Matt
05-31-2013, 08:25 PM
Time magic, white magic, blue magic. Black magic is kind of boring to me. Summoning is cool, but the cost usually doesn't justify the effects. Green magic is just some FF12 nonsense and is clearly just a mix of black and white spells.

Summoning has never clicked with me. Taking a spell like Ark from FFIX, the summon takes 100 seconds or so, and only deals the same amount of damage as a regular attack.

I agree that Green Magic is nonsense from FFXII. The role did change into the synergyst in FFXIII though, so the idea of having a specific character class for buffs seems to be continuing into the following series.

The Man
05-31-2013, 10:04 PM
Blue has all the best spells:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=692&type=card http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=728&type=card http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=729&type=card

wait that's not the type of magic we're talking about is it

I actually own all three of these cards. No Moxes or Lotus though :(

@topic, I'd probably be a red mage, or maybe a time mage. Or maybe a black mage or a white mage. Probably a red mage though because I'm so indecisive.

Jowy
05-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Mighty Guard, Aqualung, White Wind, and Level 5 Death? I'll take all of those game-breaking spells, thank you very much!

The Man
05-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Blue magic in FF does have a lot of great spells, but there is the caveat that you have to get enemies to use them against you first. Which seems an unpleasant experience to go through :<

Jowy
05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

SteahMeLee
05-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Actually, I won't call Blue Magic with the term "magic" in the first place... :p I find "Enemy Skill" a more appropriate name... Monsters don't actually cast spells (ok, some monsters do, but...)! They are more innate powers monsters can use by nature...

Freya
06-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Ya know I'm probably a white mage. I like helping others so I'd probably do that.

I know in MMO's I like being a healer because I don't like relying on others to keep me alive so I do it!

Formalhaut
06-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I'd say Black Magic. I've always gravitated towards Black Mages and their spells. Especially the Ice and Blizzard spells.

Least of all Green Magic. I get all exceted when I learn status buffs, but then I never use them, except occasionally haste. I usually prefer to spend a turn doing damage and healing instead of buffing, even though I am aware that it can turn the tides of a battle. I guess it just doesn't click with me.

Haste is a fabulous enhancement! Bravery/Faith are also very good, though I'm not keen on Regen. It is the least useful of all of the standard buffs.

Vigilance and Veil in XIII/XIII-2 was pretty useless too.

Tasura
06-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Hmm. Well, in Final Fantasy terms, I'd probably be a Red Mage that focuses on Black Magic with little White Magic. Kinda like how I play Clerics in D&D.

Gamblet
06-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Summoning has never clicked with me. Taking a spell like Ark from FFIX, the summon takes 100 seconds or so, and only deals the same amount of damage as a regular attack.

Think outside the game mechanics. I think we are not restricted to numbers here. :kakapo:

Greatermaximus
06-04-2013, 10:20 AM
What's wrong with specific spells? For 1 Mp in final fantasy five you can 'return' going to the start of combat. Without that spell then I play "White Mage." Since it's better to be safe then sorry. Otherwise it's time.