PDA

View Full Version : They call me Bell, they call me Stacey, they call me herrr

Shorty
05-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Break-off of the names thread - do people ever mistake your name when you introduce yourself or when you're on the phone? Or do you have a name that gets atrociously mispronounced?

For some godawful reason, I am constantly mistaken for Vera. Or Beth, sometimes Beth. I don't know how either of those can be derived from Sarah, but it has happened in every state ever that I have lived in.

CimminyCricket
05-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I've gotten Henry, Edwin, David and Robert. My name is Edward and only Edwin was remotely close.

Night Fury
05-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Kara, Lara, and Zara are all pretty popular.

Oh, and Tanya. :(

Faris
05-30-2013, 11:26 PM
I get "Melissa" a lot. :irked:

Unbreakable Will
05-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Bill, understandable.

Bob, eh...

Wilford, I'll smurfing kill you. There's only one person I let get away with it for reasons even I don't understand.

It may be the fantastic goddamn massages. Yeah... probably that.

Shorty
05-30-2013, 11:32 PM
What about Willard?

Unbreakable Will
I get that a lot too. :cry:

Denmark
TCXFKo1UDjQ

that's pretty much all I have to contribute. I speak clearly when I tell people my name (Robert, I go by Rob).

I did get Ralph once, I think.

Shorty
05-30-2013, 11:34 PM

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk220/abducted_by_eon/Willard%20-%20Remake%20-%20Pix/WillardPic14.jpg

This is what I'm going to change your set to. Enjoy!

Shauna
05-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Nothing too awful. Either Shana or Shona. Reasonable mishearings.

People trying to spell my name, though? I have seen all the possible combinations of letters.

Jowy
05-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Someone called me "Mitch" once even though my nametag clearly said "Eric". Other than that, no!

Lonely Paper Star
05-31-2013, 12:23 AM
I introduced myself as Paula and this dude was like, "Impala???!" Like, the car. What.

Many times, different friends would accidentally switch my name with my good friend Carla's. Then they started doing it on purpose. Or combining our names as CarlaPaula. -____-

Pike
05-31-2013, 12:27 AM
I get called Sarah a hell of a lot more than I really should. I mean Stephanie -> Sarah? :confused:

I also get Samantha sometimes.

Iceglow
05-31-2013, 01:38 AM
A customer swore blind he was speaking to David the other day when I passed the call over to my supervisor. My supervisor corrected him 4 times and he still swore my name was David.

Steven - David.... they aren't even close.

Raistlin
05-31-2013, 02:09 AM
"Leslie" is a not uncommon mistake on the phone, but otherwise my name is pretty distinct.

fire_of_avalon
05-31-2013, 03:34 AM
Morgan and Reagan. All the time.

Pheesh
05-31-2013, 04:15 AM
If I introduce myself as Phil then sometimes I will get Bill. Aside from that though it's hard to fuck up Philip.

People do tend to spell it with 2 L's though -_-

Jinx
05-31-2013, 04:42 AM
Bilip Phafile.

People call me Amanda all the time.

Quindiana Jones
05-31-2013, 04:44 AM
I work with a guy called Alastair who in no way resembles me.

Also, my parents often call me George. My dog is called George. He is often called by Arthur. My parents are dumb. :(

Pumpkin
05-31-2013, 05:01 AM
Ashley.

I'm actually horrible about this. There was this one guy named Donny and I called him Tobli (like the little guy from X-2) and then it caught on and everyone called him Tobli because of a mistake I made. Another guy was named Tyler and I forgot his name so after he left I asked someone what it was. They said Tyler. I argued with them for a while before accepting it because I didn't believe his name was Tyler.

Also, there was one guy named Eric and I called him Daniel for 5 years before I realized. He would respond to Daniel, and when I asked other people like "Where's Daniel?" they knew exactly who I was talking about. I felt bad when I found out. To be fair, it isn't my fault his parents named him wrong.

Loony BoB
05-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Anything that starts with D.

David.
Damien.
Derek.

That kinda stuff. Sometimes things that aren't anything like my name at all, such as Jamie. I mean, I don't even know how this happens... but yeah. I think they decide my name and ignore whatever I say when I pick up the phone.

noxious.sunshine
05-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Nope. Never happened. Jamie. Plain and simple. Unless I'm amongst Mexicans who have a hard time with it, then I'm "Yamie" (their J's are often pronounced like Y's and vice versa)

The Man
05-31-2013, 08:30 AM

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk220/abducted_by_eon/Willard%20-%20Remake%20-%20Pix/WillardPic14.jpg

This is what I'm going to change your set to. Enjoy!

Well at least it isn't:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Mitt_Romney_by_Gage_Skidmore_7.jpg/469px-Mitt_Romney_by_Gage_Skidmore_7.jpg

I get Eric occasionally. I can't think of any others, although people misspell my name all the time (usually as Erin, which is pronounced the same as my name in most accents we encounter here, but it's [almost always] a girl's name). You'd think my name wouldn't be that difficult for most people to spell. It's in the Bible and everything. Then again, most so-called Christians here probably haven't read it.

Gzussaves
05-31-2013, 10:20 AM
I get called jason constantly.. the name is justin... hell at work i had my nametag... a person asked my name so i said justin.. they then called me jason for the rest of the time they were there, and they repeated "my name" over and over, i looked at my manager once and just smiled and did the shh thing with the finger to the mouth cuz i wanted to play with it for a bit.. when the person left one of the customers said "Your name is on your smurfing nametag... how do people smurf that up?" I just smiled and said "Well some people are special.. sometimes it is an extra kind of special" XD

Iceglow
05-31-2013, 02:32 PM
If I introduce myself as Phil then sometimes I will get Bill. Aside from that though it's hard to smurf up Philip.

People do tend to spell it with 2 L's though -_-

There's a guy in the retentions team for my company (based in India) named Dhilip. You have no idea how often we hear his name as Philip xD

Shoeberto
05-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Stewart. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad 2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::cool::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::m ad2::mad2:

Rebellious Eagle
06-01-2013, 04:29 AM
My name is Stephanie but I've had someone call me Sarah while I was wearing a name tag that clearly said Stephanie. For some reason I get Sarah a lot from people who forget my name. -_-

Freya
06-01-2013, 07:09 AM
They call me stacy. Or macy. Or lacy. or Jayce. :/ Stupid Kaycee Name. Damn eeee names!

Chemical
06-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Leslie.... rofl.

But no. Never. Not counting a two year old that calls me Assley, but I kinda take enjoyment from a child swearing.

Psychotic
06-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Dave seems to be a very common one. Peter and Robin are also favoured.

I honestly could not tell you why.

Pike
06-01-2013, 05:12 PM
My name is Stephanie but I've had someone call me Sarah while I was wearing a name tag that clearly said Stephanie. For some reason I get Sarah a lot from people who forget my name. -_-

SEE? I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THIS!!

Freya
06-01-2013, 08:45 PM
This song came on the radio today and I thought of this thread :3

Laddy
06-01-2013, 08:58 PM
My last name gets a bunch of incorrect variations. Delasaurus is a common pronunciation, which apparently means I'm one of Del's reptilian ancestors from ages long since past.

Polnareff
06-04-2013, 01:53 AM
I used to get "Christina" and "Kristin" a lot when I was younger (back then I looked very androgynous and had long hair) and now I get "Tristan" or my personal favorite "Cameron" from a friend who said I looked like his friend Cameron.

My last name is really easy to spell and pronounce and people still mess it up.

Shiny
06-04-2013, 02:28 AM
People always mispronouce my name or forget the a. I always get people spelling it with a ia which makes no sense.

I Took the Red Pill
06-14-2013, 06:53 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ah1kXRK31rn27hxo1_500.png

escobert
06-14-2013, 11:04 PM
people never know what to call me when they first meet me at work or something since my name is Robert and no one calls me Robert. I go by Bob. Bobby is fine, Robert I can deal with but I HATE Rob and Robby. Lots of people tell me I don't look like a Bob :confused:. Most people are fine with my last name but once in awhile foreign people will pronounce it "Hoe" instead of "How" since it has the e on the end.

Quindiana Jones
06-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Some of my younger kids have terrible Chinese children voices, and thus call me what can only be written as "Ah-fuck". :erm:

~*~Celes~*~
06-15-2013, 12:22 AM
my great-grandma (who has Alzheimer's, bless her heart) calls me Kara. Besides that, people assume it's Carrie or Keri. Terry has also been a common mispronunciation.

Bunny
06-15-2013, 01:56 AM
You have to try very hard or be incredibly daft to get my first name wrong. My last name is easy, being that it is a common word in the everyday English language, but people still manage to fuck that one up.

Mirage
06-15-2013, 02:25 AM
When I worked in a kindergarden, kids would often call me Stråle instead of Ståle. Stråle means ray, like in a ray of light, like from the sun or whatever.

Not sure if that counts.

krissy
06-15-2013, 02:31 AM
When I worked in a kindergarden, kids would often call me Stråle instead of Ståle. Stråle means ray, like in a ray of light, like from the sun or whatever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XIikbazTf7E)

Not sure if that counts.

XxSephirothxX
06-16-2013, 08:26 AM
"Leslie" is a not uncommon mistake on the phone, but otherwise my name is pretty distinct.

I got a "West" once when picking up a pizza I'd called in, which seemed like kind of a weird place to go because who has West as a first name?

Aulayna
06-16-2013, 08:46 AM
My name always gets put down as Ashley instead of Ashleigh.

Or occasionally even Aisling.

LocoColt04
06-16-2013, 09:27 AM
When I answer the phone, I get "Steven" a lot. Cesar... Steven? I mean... maybe if I slurred a little, but I typically don't. I usually repeat my name once or twice before I just cave and go "yeah, sure, Steven, what can I do for you?"

noxious.sunshine
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM
People call my BF "German" all the time when they see his name... 'Cuz that's how it's spelled. It's actually pronounced "Herman" in English.

I hate his name. I also hate his nickname. I fully plan to make him change both someday. XD

Værn
06-16-2013, 11:21 AM

SEE? I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THIS!!
I'm going to have to ask my sister if anyone ever calls her Sarah...

Occasionally someone will mistakenly call me "Nate," but that's the worst of it for me.

noxious.sunshine
06-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Oh. I forgot. People mispronounce my last name a lot. Maybe I've said this. I have Alzheimer's. They say "Newnery" instead of "NONE-ery" (Nunnery) ... WTH is so hard about that? It drives me nuts.