PDA

View Full Version : What Would Your FF Timeline Theory Be?

TheUmpteenthDoctor
06-04-2013, 03:21 AM
I've seen a couple of timeline theories, and they've all been shot down by something along the lines of "that's stupid, there's no connection." Just for the sake of argument, let's say that everything in the Final Fantasy series is in the same two worlds (Spira and Gaia) at different points in history. What would your timeline be?

Make your timeline as simple or detailed as you want, include as many or as few games as you want, and feel free to use (but not abuse) alternate/split timelines if necessary.

My timeline is in my signature.

Depression Moon
06-04-2013, 04:29 AM
If they all are within the same two worlds then that would be some crappy writing on Square's part just like when they said that VII and X is a part of the same world when they share almost nothing.

Fynn
06-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Apart from the Ivalice titles, I don't think it is possible to make a connection.

Greatermaximus
06-04-2013, 09:49 AM
For the sake of argument in Final Fantasy VI they wanted to prevent the renactment of the War of Magi. But it really depends what the author wants to make up. They have the final say.

You don't know what history has been corrupted, distorted, and/or outright lied about. I can imagine some of these events on the same world. It's more likely they're in the same universe.

Depends on your dedication. And trying to find some clue about otherwordly connections, but fictions' real problem is continuity in addition to plotholes. And other things we've discussed before.

maybee
06-04-2013, 10:37 AM
I think it might go

(Gaia)
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX

Timeline
Garland controls time > Garland Creates Zidane and Kuja while in ruling > Garland is defeated by future Light Warriors > Edgar Marries somebody > Future Alexandria or Lindblum Kingdom > Final Fantasy IX

( Ivalice )
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV
Tactics Universe

Richard Highwind is born > Wife gives birth to Kain > Kain looses his family > Firion defeats Paramecia > Kain grows up with Cecil and Rosa > Cecil destroys Zeromus > Develops into Ivalice > Tactics > Final Fantasy XII

( Crystal/ Job Class World )
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy Versus

Crystals are born > The Light Warriors ( This Universes's version ) are choosen > They defeat Dark Cloud and Xande > The Dawn Warriors are choosen, they seal Ex- Death > Bartz is choosen > Ex- Death is unsealed > Bartz defeats Ex-Death.

Years, Years later Laguna is born > Laguna marries Raine > Squall defeats Ulti

Years, Years later Lightning defeats Evil Pope > FF XIII-2 > LR > Versus

( Spira/ " The Planet ")
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy VII

Shuyin > The Fayth Dream Tidus > Tidus and Yuna stop Sin > X-2

Years later Final Fantasy VII

I assume that some time between Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII the Centra visit the " Crystal Job World " to try and flee from Jenova, however they all die anyways from the Lunar Cry.

Just is all just fun though.

Fynn
06-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Nice timelines, maybee, but I got one little nitpick...

FFXII takes place ages BEFORE Tactics, not the other way around. So, by your timeline, XII would have to take place before II.

maybee
06-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Nice timelines, maybee, but I got one little nitpick...

FFXII takes place ages BEFORE Tactics, not the other way around. So, by your timeline, XII would have to take place before II.

So FF XII > Tactics > FF II > FF IV ?

Sorry about that. It was just for fun :jess:

Fynn
06-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I'd say XII > II > IV > Tactics. And it's no big deal - if course it's just for fun ;) Just wanted to let you know this one thing is official, as a sort of... food for thought :D

TheUmpteenthDoctor
06-04-2013, 05:16 PM
I'd say XII > II > IV > Tactics. And it's no big deal - if course it's just for fun ;) Just wanted to let you know this one thing is official, as a sort of... food for thought :D

Since the only thing I know about Tactics is that Cloud Strife shows up (putting it in the general timeframe of the Compilation), this kind of tidbit definitely helps me with my theory.

@Maybee, bit of an issue with your timeline: all of the world's summons and magic are permanently destroyed at the end of VI; if nothing else, that one should be after IX. (I'm assuming your timeline uses four separate worlds)

maybee
06-05-2013, 09:39 AM
@Maybee, bit of an issue with your timeline: all of the world's summons and magic are permanently destroyed at the end of VI; if nothing else, that one should be after IX. (I'm assuming your timeline uses four separate worlds)

But there is a " Locke " in Final Fantasy IX who old and he mentions the old days and how they had no cabs to ride in Lindblum and had to ride Chocobos. And it's Final Fantasy there's a chance that magic could somehow come back somehow.

A huge meteor comes down and and gives somebody magical powers to summon monsters he has children and thus the summoner race in FF IX is born. IDK it's hard to put something together that's not supposed to be put together, like when you're a kid and you're trying to jam in that puzzle piece that's not supposed to go in.

I mean how does the FF II world transform into the FF IV world in like four years time ? It's just impossible.

Dr. rydrum2112
06-05-2013, 03:15 PM
If they all are within the same two worlds then that would be some crappy writing on Square's part just like when they said that VII and X is a part of the same world when they share almost nothing.

I thought they said part of the same Universe/galaxy, not the same world?

SteahMeLee
06-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Outside of some hints it's really hard to build this mosaic, assuming there is a mosaic in the first place... Yes, there is the Shinra guy in X world and probably the underwater lab in FFVIII is remnant of FFIII floating continent (also the whole thing about Hyne) but outside of these few things they are not easy to guess...

I think that finding the connections between FFs would boost the games charm a lot and it wouldn't be bad to have an Ultimate Ultimania (hahaha so to say :D) to reveal those connections!

Mercen-X
06-18-2013, 01:28 AM
Considering how much advanced technology is available in Spira, I find it hilarious every time someone says that VII HAS to follow X if the worlds were connected. It's actually just as plausible to say that VII preceded X, Spira being the result of an unimaginable technological Armageddon which forced the world to embrace a more spiritual lifestyle, their prayers giving birth to corporeal being "dreamed up" by those who reside in the Lifestream. Just because Shinra points out what VII's Shinra Inc already knows doesn't mean he is its founder or ancestor. It could simply be a coincidence that generations later (when much about technology and its sins have been forgotten) another young man named Shinra has an epiphany. As he says, he's just a kid.

I would definitely say that themes connect worlds. In that case, FFI and VIII would be related due their shared theme of time paradox. There are indications in both worlds that suggest (like as in Spira) a technologically advanced people existed in the distant past.

captainwood
08-15-2013, 04:22 PM
I like to think of it as a similar universe to the one used in the Kingdom Hearts games, where all the worlds are connected to each other on a sort of network accessible by Gummi ship. In my head, each FF game takes place on a different world and these are connected and accessible too (which would explain things like Zidane having once known a 'spiky-haired dude') although the method of travel is never discussed. As for time periods, that is open to certain amount of interpretation.

Loony BoB
08-15-2013, 05:14 PM
I prefer going for The Time Machine's route (also the Mass Effect route), where over many years of history a great civilization falls to some kind of great chaotic event and, far, far, faaaaaaaaaaaaar into the future, another one grows up and finds remnants of the older civilization. This works particularly well for FF where you have multiple games featuring Cetra (VII) and Centra (VIII).

Red Mage Coffman
08-15-2013, 06:05 PM
I just liked to believe they were all separate worlds. Dissidia supports this theory! As for that, the Timeline presented above by maybee was pretty awesome and like, a brilliant way to piece it together.

Mercen-X
08-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Not simply alternate worlds as in planets but alternate realities. Honestly, how likely would it be for multiple planets to share so many commonalities like crystals, character names, parts of history?

The idea of same planet chronology appeals to fans of time travel. The concept of multiple worlds appeals to faux-astronauts. The suggestion of diverging timelines appeals to fans of alternate realities.

crashNUMBERS
09-25-2013, 02:15 PM
admittedly I wanted to say wth this is stupid, but I admire your dedication to actually plot this out as shown on your signature

but I do think its a little unnecessary over thinking. enjoy the story as they present it to you. want a diff one? either write a fan fiction or make your own tale. n'joy!