PDA

View Full Version : Game Demos

Flying Mullet
06-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Have you ever played a demo of a game or bought a game for the included demo? What were your thoughts after playing the demo/

When I bought Brace Fencer Musashi I was very excited for the demo of Final Fantasy VIII that was included and enjoyed playing it.
I "ordered" the demo disc for Dragon Quest 8 that was available from Squeenix's website before it's release and also enjoyed playing that.
When I bought Dragon Quest VIII it came with a demo of Final Fantasy XII but I don't remember playing it. I was probably so engrossed with Dragon Quest VIII that I ended up waiting until Final Fantasy XII was released to play it.

Quindiana Jones
06-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Demos should be mandatory for games, I think.

I also remember getting the DQ8 demo, and I particularly enjoyed the various demos given every week with Official PlayStation Magazine. Good old days.

Depression Moon
06-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I sometimes got those PSM demos too, I remember used to play a lot more demos back in the ps2 era. I don't think I ever bought a game that I played a demo of except for FFXII. Now that I think about I think I might've played a demo for Dragon Quest VIII too. Did the demo end when you beat the boss in the waterfall cave?

Bolivar
06-04-2013, 09:34 PM
I bought DQ8 mostly for the FFXII demo but it ended up being one of my favorite games

Chris
06-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Didn't the FFVI release include a FFX demo? ._.

Depression Moon
06-05-2013, 02:00 AM
FFVI coming with a demo of a game that would be 4 entries ahead?

Chris
06-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Sorry, it came with a FVIII demo! NOT FFX!

edczxcvbnm
06-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Zone of the Enders came with the Demo for MGS2...that demo basically sold that game to a great many people. It was awesome. Well after MGS2 came out I was gifted Zone of the Enders BECAUSE it had the demo (nevermind that I already owned and beat MGS2). The Demo allows stuff that they took out of the final game.

Aulayna
06-10-2013, 08:15 AM
I used to get the Official PlayStation mag every month along with PCGamer.

Those demo discs were pretty much my entertainment for the months between my Birthday and Christmas and vice versa as a kid (and jobless teenager xD)

It's a shame they've stopped doing them :( I tried out so many titles I normally wouldn't have even considered.

This is one of my most cherished editions - one of the few times we ever had a demo of a new FF game in the UK before it was released.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Official-UK-Playstation-Magazine-Special-Final-Fantasy-VIII-8-Edition-/00/s/MTE2MFgxMDIy/z/zUEAAOxyjK1RBdab/$T2eC16FHJHQE9nzEyId9BRBd,,vfMQ~~60_12.JPG

Mirage
06-10-2013, 09:57 AM
That size wasn't even large...

Anyway, I have played a ton of demos back in the day, both on PC and PS1 and PS2. Mostly because I never had the money to buy a lot of games, and sometimes because i wanted to try the games long before their releases.

I still sometimes download demos from PSN, but it's not very often.

VeloZer0
06-10-2013, 05:28 PM
I remember reading an article that described how publishing demos was generally unhelpful to game publishers. If the game sucked then you lost a whole bunch of release day sales, and if the game was good it would sell well anyways. So publishers had more to loose than gain in making demos.

Which is unfortunate.