PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to enjoy doing something I hate

Pike
06-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Sooooo everyone knows I write books. Lots of them. And for the most part I'm okay with writing; it's not my favorite thing in the world but I'll sit down and do it when it needs to be done.

BUT EDITING AND REWRITING IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD I SWEAR TO GOD, I just hate it ;askgh;alskfj;alsgja

But it needs to get done so I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to hype myself up for something I hate doing.

How do YOU motivate yourself to do something that you need to do? I need ideas.

Shorty
06-05-2013, 01:01 AM
I put it off for a million years until it turns into an anxious thorn inside my brain hammering to get done after months of procrastination and then I might get around to doing it.

Chris
06-05-2013, 01:02 AM
Just ask yourself - what will all of this tedious work get me? Think of the reward.

Pike
06-05-2013, 01:03 AM
I put it off for a million years until it turns into an anxious thorn inside my brain hammering to get done after months of procrastination and then I might get around to doing it.

Oh man that's the worst feeling. It ruins everything. Every time (http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-on-cusp-of-having-fun-remembers-every-single-o,32632/).

Raistlin
06-05-2013, 01:07 AM

Yeah, pretty much. I'm a terrible procrastinator, and if I don't have a deadline, things can get put off indefinitely. So I guess my advice would be to try to simply set deadlines for yourself. You could create rewards for yourself as motivation to stick to the deadlines.

Agent Proto
06-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Uh, I just end up doing it, maybe at a later time if it really needs to be done. If it's not as important, I'll put it aside indefinitely until I feel motivated to do whatever I've been putting aside.

Pumpkin
06-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I motivate myself by thinking about Future Ashton.

If Present Ashton does the dishes now, then Future Ashton can sit on the couch and eat brownies.

Night Fury
06-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Set yourself daily goals.

Do a to-do list for every day.

"I will edit this chapter, and once it's done I can have a candybar!"

noxious.sunshine
06-05-2013, 09:17 PM
My suggestions are in no way healthy or legal and could easily land you some serious jail time, so I shall stay quiet.

Or you could pretend my dad's moved into your head. "YOU LAZY S.O.B.! GET IT DONE! YOU DON"T KNOW NOTHIN' 'BOUT LIFE!"

.... That probably didn't help at all. Never did me any good, anyway...

Yes. My dad really does talk to me like that sometimes (a lot). He's an un-funny Red Forman. If he says he's gonna shove his foot up your ass, you better run as fast and as far as you can in the opposite direction 'cuz he really means it.

Bunny
06-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Sooooo everyone knows I write books. Lots of them. And for the most part I'm okay with writing; it's not my favorite thing in the world but I'll sit down and do it when it needs to be done.

BUT EDITING AND REWRITING IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD I SWEAR TO GOD, I just hate it ;askgh;alskfj;alsgja

But it needs to get done so I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to hype myself up for something I hate doing.

Have someone else edit it.

Pass that buck.

Shoeberto
06-05-2013, 09:48 PM
The Pomodori Technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_technique) (or a variant) is pretty good. I've seen a lot of praise for timeboxing techniques similar to it and have tried to adapt them myself, since compilation times on my projects tend to make me distracted. Worth a shot.

Pike
06-06-2013, 10:41 AM

Have someone else edit it.

Pass that buck.

I have seriously considered this. The problem is that really good editors are expensive. (I've still seriously considered it.)

The Pomodori Technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_technique) (or a variant) is pretty good. I've seen a lot of praise for timeboxing techniques similar to it and have tried to adapt them myself, since compilation times on my projects tend to make me distracted. Worth a shot.

I'll give that shot.

Calliope
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
After looking it up, it seems that the Pomodori Technique is something I already employ in my own writing endeavours. I will agree that editing is the most unpleasant part of writing.

Unfortunately, there comes a time where you just have to grit your teeth and dive in with the thing - whether it's exercise, social obligations, doing taxes, or having to put on real clothes. Be brave, and march onward!

Cuchulainn
06-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Oscar Wilde had the same problems, he'd get the publisher to "tidy up the woulds and shoulds, wills and shalls, that's and whichs" and he'd fuck off somewhere, presumably with lubrication.

Quindiana Jones
06-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Pretend that if you complete it, you get a Writing Victory, which is the best kind of victory.

Jinx
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
I think editing is the most fun! xD

Bunny
06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
I have seriously considered this. The problem is that really good editors are expensive. (I've still seriously considered it.)

I found your first potential editor.

They don't necessarily have to be top-notch to be an editor. They simply have to know what to look for. Gather a few people, call them beta readers or something like that, and just have them look for any potential mistakes in your book. A lot of authors employ this method by using close friends and family because it is affordable, easy, and makes those individuals feel a bit special.

noxious.sunshine
06-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Smoke meth. You'll get -super- meticulous. Trust me. You'll actually obsess over it.

jk

Rantz
06-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Værn
06-08-2013, 11:54 AM

I found your first potential editor.
And although I've never been keen on criticizing the creative aspects of someone's work, my old English teachers did a nice job of grinding an obsession of the mechanical aspects of writing into my head.
Let me have a look at a bit of text and I'll do my best to ensure that the spelling is correct, that punctuation is used when necessary or appropriate, and that sentences are structured in such a way that they can be misinterpreted as sexual innuendos when possible.

Cloudane
06-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I dunno if it works with things you need to think for, but I find some decent music and use it as a listening opportunity. That's how I get through ironing and exercise