PDA

View Full Version : ps3 broken

Mahad
06-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Dear friends of EOFF, I need your advise/help.
My ps3 has crashed, it turns on but the screen is always black and after about 5 seconds the green light turns of. Pressing the power button again restores the red light, but there is no simple fix. Has any of you had this problem as well? My system is a Slim cech-3001A. I have truly no idea as to why this has happened. All the gaming I did with it probably doesn't add up to more than 10 or 12 hrs, and I think that's pushing it too far; in fact, I spent more time watching GoT and movies with it than playing. I hate loosing 300 bucks like this, and the warranty is out. Paying up to buy a brand new one isn't appetazing, specially given how the ps4 is supposedly right around the corner (but then that thing isn't going to be backwards compatible, so I couldn't use the 4 games I have). But neither is spending what could be 150 or more in repairs for this unit (and I have no clue as to how much repairs would cost anyways). If any one has any clue as to at least what might be the cause of the problem, that'll be of much help, as if it is something I can't fix on my own I'll have to consider purchasing another one.

Del Murder
06-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Bake it in your oven.

Skyblade
06-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Step one to any hardware troubleshooting: Take apart all connections. Remove every cable, unplug everything. Clean out what you can (compressed air is awesome), dust the system, check cords for splits or cuts. Then hook everything back up, bit by bit, and start it up again. A loose power cord could be the cause, so could dust in the wrong spot.

Otherwise, it's probably an internal issue, and those aren't usually quick and easy fixes.

Mahad
06-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Nope, didn't work. I dusted it using compressed air, and the only connections where the power cord and hdmi cable. Still same issue. I'm of the mind to break it open and mess around with it, the warranty is up anyways so that wont be a problem. I also recently found a youtube video which might work IF the issue happens to be overheating of the system. But then I never used the system for more than perhaps 4 hours.

*sigh*

thanks for the tip, though.

I hope my oven doesn't explode.

Skyblade
06-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Pull any USB drives you might have in it too.

Overheating can be a problem even with limited use, depending on how and where you store the system. If the area is too enclosed, or in a naturally hot location, heat can build up and shut the system down.

Also, try replacing the power cable, if you can find a spare. If the brick got fried somehow, it could cause this sort of problem.

Mahad
06-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Hmm. I'll try the power cable option; my current cable looks perfectly fine, though. I didn't have space for both my 360 and ps3 together in the same place, so what I did after using my ps3 was storing it in an admittedly enclosed space. No connections or usb's. Maybe the heat got to it even that way. Something most likely fried. I'll try that, and if it doesn't work I guess I'll try something else.

Bolivar
06-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I highly recommend gophermods.com and I only paid them $80 for my PS3 repair.