PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Versus XIII becomes Final Fantasy XV #E32013

Aulayna
06-11-2013, 04:19 AM

It's official! After months of rumor and speculation Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been rebranded to Final Fantasy XV and will be coming to the Playstation 4. Tetsuya Nomura dropped this bombshell during Sony's E3 press conference and said that more details will be coming over the coming days.

If you're not already wetting yourself in excitement here's a BRAND SPANKING NEW TRAILER fresh from the conference:

P3xKbPooKAo

Jinx
06-11-2013, 04:29 AM
I can't be the only person who finds this lazy.

EDIT: This game looks incredible, of course, and it was the title I was most interested in when the announced the FFXIII world years and years ago.

Goldenboko
06-11-2013, 04:31 AM
I can't be the only person who finds this lazy.

stfu gtfo.

I'm pretty pleased with it - Versus XIII always looked more promising to me then XIII and damn there's some awesome scale in that trailer.

Aulayna
06-11-2013, 04:36 AM
Aisha at Ubisoft got my thoughts doooooown for this.

http://www.fanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/255913-girlwood.jpg

Pheesh
06-11-2013, 04:41 AM
The game looks absolutely amazing, I'm more excited about it than I ever have been for any other Final Fantasy game.

DMKA
06-11-2013, 04:48 AM
Check out that map...

http://s18.postimg.org/wbi6v7p9l/1370920470263_1.png

Guess all the FFXIII haters don't have to worry about linearity this time around. :)

Goldenboko
06-11-2013, 04:50 AM
The scale of Leviathan is super impressive, I have some serious expectations for whatever that part is.

Freya
06-11-2013, 05:32 AM
That scale alone made me think shadow of the colossus. The platforming seems similar too. So an FF with shadow of the colossus aspects? TAKE MY MONEY SE!

KH-Cloudy
06-11-2013, 05:37 AM
The city looked amazing!! Just give it to me already, I'll buy all your upcoming games!...assuming they're on the PS and PC.

Del Murder
06-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Am I the first to say that the game doesn't look like a Final Fantasy? I guess it's an action game? Splitting hairs here, the trailer looked awesome and of course I'll play it.

Freya
06-11-2013, 06:10 AM
That's most likely why they are going to have that press conference about "the future of Final Fantasy" tomorrow. So they can be like "we want some action okay?" and we'll be all "okay :/ :shifty: :D"

Pheesh
06-11-2013, 06:37 AM
Considering how much crap they've tended to get about the series for a while now, can you really blame them?

Del Murder
06-11-2013, 06:56 AM
I can and always will. :p

Fynn
06-11-2013, 07:25 AM
That is one amazing trailer.

Loony BoB
06-11-2013, 07:48 AM
I must concede I was hoping FFXV would be a completely new game so I would have two games to look forward to instead of one. xD But I'll take this. As for the action elements, this was always going to happen (I'm surprised it wasn't sooner), and I don't consider it a bad thing.

Edge7
06-11-2013, 08:26 AM
While I agree with BoB,I still feel like this would've made a strong new IP. FFXV could've had more concepts like like what we saw in Agni's Philosophy, while maintaining a classic RPG feel. Ah well, the FFXV we're getting looks really good. I wonder if they've completely redesigned the whole game since the last trailer? The setting looks less Japan and more Italy. Plus the camera's a lot tighter.

Formalhaut
06-11-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm glad they've not forgotten about it. :p

It looks amazing.

ShinGundam
06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
While I agree with BoB,I still feel like this would've made a strong new IP. FFXV could've had more concepts like like what we saw in Agni's Philosophy, while maintaining a classic RPG feel. Ah well, the FFXV we're getting looks really good. I wonder if they've completely redesigned the whole game since the last trailer? The setting looks less Japan and more Italy. Plus the camera's a lot tighter.
Nope, It was more Italy from very beginning.

Fynn
06-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm guessing they changed the name due to FFXIII's notoriety, so that people don't associate the two with each other anymore.

charliepanayi
06-11-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm guessing they changed the name due to FFXIII's notoriety, so that people don't associate the two with each other anymore.

Maybe, but why did they bother with Lightning Returns then?

Loony BoB
06-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Because they left FFXIII-2 unfinished, the bastards.

maybee
06-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Because it's LIGHTNING duuuh only like the coolest FF heroine evAR.

Joking aside this game is looking really neat.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-11-2013, 10:02 AM
To me, making this game a part of the main series rather than more of a spin-off just means the game is actually going to come out someday. I also think that we got to see of the game looks fantastic.

Fynn
06-11-2013, 10:03 AM

Probably because it's a direct sequel, not a seperate story like XV. Also, notice it's "Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII" not "FFXIII: LR", and the "Final Fantasy XIII" is kind of small compared to the rest of the title. So I guess they are kind of ashamed of what XIII was, but acknowledge people still adore Lightnin'.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-11-2013, 10:44 AM
They announced KHIII, do I need another reason to buy a PS4? No, but this helps.

Rodney
06-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Eh, the graphics look good, but I don't think I'll be able to play this. Looks like it'll have button mashing, and I hate button mashing.

Also, I'm a huge fan and proponent of female characters, and this game is clearly only gonna have males in the main playable cast, something that hasn't happened since FF1 (or FF3, if you wanna count the original version and not the DS remake). So that's pretty much another point against its favor.

I'm hoping I'm proven wrong, but I'm not as optimistic as the rest of you are.

Loony BoB
06-11-2013, 11:03 AM
White Mage was female, wasn't it?

Rodney
06-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Just checked FF Wiki, and yes, she was. So that's 3 that had (up until now) the only all-male cast.

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
So, PS3 owners who got their system partially for Versus are now required to buy an entirely new system for this game after waiting an entire console generation for it.

Wut?

Loony BoB
06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Just checked FF Wiki, and yes, she was. So that's 3 that had (up until now) the only all-male cast.
Hey, we don't know all of the characters yet. There are at least a couple of girls in that headline image they're using showing off characters, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them becomes playable.

DMKA
06-11-2013, 12:07 PM
I must concede I was hoping FFXV would be a completely new game so I would have two games to look forward to instead one xD
Same here. I really wanted to have Versus and XV, but I'm not complaining since this is looking fantastic.

charliepanayi
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Also, I'm a huge fan and proponent of female characters, and this game is clearly only gonna have males in the main playable cast, something that hasn't happened since FF1 (or FF3, if you wanna count the original version and not the DS remake). So that's pretty much another point against its favor.

I'm hoping I'm proven wrong, but I'm not as optimistic as the rest of you are.

Where is it 'clear' that there'll be no female playable characters?

FFIX Choco Boy
06-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I see 3 females in the headline image. Like in all Final Fantasies since 4.

But, man, am I the only one who sees the drinking game? "They said crystal, take a shot!"

Really, though, it looks extremely good. And maybe this is what Final Fantasy needs to spur its fans back into the following. I'm going to at least give it a shot, assuming I can get my hands on a PS4 (Which, with KHIII being on it, I WILL). And, yes, that Leviathan... Looks so sleek and pretty. I can't wait for that fight.

Shoeberto
06-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Am I the first to say that the game doesn't look like a Final Fantasy? I guess it's an action game? Splitting hairs here, the trailer looked awesome and of course I'll play it.
Well, as a counterpoint, I think an action RPG approach could be the shot in the arm the series needs. Not saying that turn-based combat can't work anymore, but it seems like they've tried to add so much action into the turn-based format that it turned into a mess with XIII. XIII's combat was reasonably fun, but only after what... 12 hours of gameplay?

Color me excited. I'd like to see more general in-game footage since obviously they selected for the high points. But I was actually thinking the other day how much I loved God of War's setpiece environments but hated the general atmosphere of the games (too much unnecessary violence). Seeing SE take that sort of approach with so much damn style has me intrigued. I'm generally okay with companies trying to reboot a series' image if it's done well, so I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Pumpkin
06-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Am I the first to say that the game doesn't look like a Final Fantasy? I guess it's an action game?

I'll probably still play it because its Final Fantasy, but I'm actually significantly less excited after watching the trailer.

I don't really like action games so I hope there's a lot more RPG to it than the trailer shows.

Del Murder
06-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Again, I think the game looks really cool and I am going to play it, but turn-based combat has been one of the few things that has stayed traditional in FF games, and it's been something that has been lacking greatly in this (and the next) generation of consoles, from SE in particular. Up until now if someone were to ask you, 'what is the recipe for a main FF game?' then turn-based combat would be on the list.

I love action RPGs too and Square has made several great ones over the years and I expect no less from this one. I guess I'm just in the camp that wishes this was the start of a new IP rather than being the inevitable FFXV. For one, it puts a lot more pressure on the game which may not be a good thing for it. I guess I'm just greedy.

Lamia
06-11-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm just really concerned that there might not be any playable female characters. On top of that I wouldn't want all PCs to just be Noctis' gang either. I'd prefer to meet different and unique PCs as the game progresses rather than just play as the main character and his friends. But the jury is still out on that one and hopefully there will be other and more interesting PCs. Otherwise this game looks like a breath of fresh air for the FF series.

Del Murder
06-11-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm just really concerned that there might not be any playable female characters. On top of that I wouldn't want all PCs to just be Noctis' gang either. I'd prefer to meet different and unique PCs as the game progresses rather than just play as the main character and his friends. But the jury is still out on that one and hopefully there will be other and more interesting PCs. Otherwise this game looks like a breath of fresh air for the FF series.
Yeah I definitely don't like it when all or most of the PCs are just the friends of the main character. I like it when you gather up characters along your journey with diverse backgrounds and motivations. Xenoblade Chronicles did this well, The Last Story did not. FFXIII did this to some extent though the only character you acquired later in the game was Fang, and she was already related to another PC.

I also really hope you can change leader and control multiple characters in battle rather than always being Noctis. I'm fine if he's the only one you play in towns and such but I hope in battle we get more diversity.

Depression Moon
06-11-2013, 06:46 PM
So, PS3 owners who got their system partially for Versus are now required to buy an entirely new system for this game after waiting an entire console generation for it.

Wut?

Yeha, I'm sort of mad about that too, because I really wasn't planning on going next-gen this time.

Fynn
06-11-2013, 06:47 PM
You know what I'm worried about?

It's fun now 'cause we know the game's alive and everything looks amazing.

But there was no release date yet again...

I fear that in a year we will yet again be saying it's vaporwear because we haven't seen a trailer since now.

Though it does seem like a lot of progress has been made. And I do believe they were holding out with the info due to it being released on an unannounced system. So let's just hope we'll be updated more often from now on.

charliepanayi
06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Whether it's this game or not, you imagine they'll have to release a FFXV at some point, sooner rather than later.

Aulayna
06-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Wut?

That's a pretty dumb thing to try and kick a fuss up over really. If it was Sony making this game I could understand it, slightly. But Sony aren't really responsible for the politics and development cycles of third-party companies. No-one forced you to buy the PS3 - you could have just waited until the game was out before even buying the console.

Rodney
06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Hey, we don't know all of the characters yet. There are at least a couple of girls in that headline image they're using showing off characters, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them becomes playable.

Again, per FF Wiki, those girls are pretty clearly antagonists and/or villains.

Aulayna
06-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Yeah it's a shame. Stella really interests me but likewise really curious to see how it pans out in general.

charliepanayi
06-11-2013, 08:26 PM
I'd be astonished if the were no female playable characters. It's about as likely to happen as a FFVII remake (famous last words).

Depression Moon
06-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Wut?

That's a pretty dumb thing to try and kick a fuss up over really. If it was Sony making this game I could understand it, slightly. But Sony aren't really responsible for the politics and development cycles of third-party companies. No-one forced you to buy the PS3 - you could have just waited until the game was out before even buying the console.

Like anyone was going to wait 7 years.

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 09:34 PM

Wut?

You're kidding, right? First SE starts hyping everyone with their big FNC on PS3, for years (yes: years) Nomura keeps saying over and over again "Versus is PS3 exclusive" and all trailers end with "For Playstation 3", and then poof, game goes silent for 2 years, and when it resurfaces, SE comes up, says: "Hey, all you PS3 owners who waited seven years for this game? Well, you don't get it after all, lol! Go buy a new system for 400 euros if you wanna play the game we promised for seven years would be on the console you already own, lol!"

Yeah, clearly it's MY fault here for believing what SE told us for 5 years in their trailers. Stupid me, I should have predicted that this game would take over 7 years to develop until SE decided to push it to PS4. Yup, all my fault. Totally not like SE published false information, nah, I should just have read their minds and know beforehand that this was gonna get pushed back. I mean, whoever heard of someone being so stupid as to believe that when a game says "For PS3" it's gonna be on PS3! Obviously it was gonna get pushed back to PS4 from the start! Like, duh!

Fynn
06-11-2013, 09:35 PM

Wut?

Like anyone was going to wait 7 years.
Well, I waited. Didn't get a PS3 due to wait.

charliepanayi
06-11-2013, 09:44 PM
If you got a system primarily for one game and now consider it a waste as you didn't get that game, you're crazy. And it is your fault.

Aulayna
06-11-2013, 09:49 PM
You're kidding, right? First SE starts hyping everyone with their big FNC on PS3, for years (yes: years) Nomura keeps saying over and over again "Versus is PS3 exclusive" and all trailers end with "For Playstation 3", and then poof, game goes silent for 2 years, and when it resurfaces, SE comes up, says: "Hey, all you PS3 owners who waited seven years for this game? Well, you don't get it after all, lol! Go buy a new system for 400 euros if you wanna play the game we promised for seven years would be on the console you already own, lol!"

Yeah, clearly it's MY fault here for believing what SE told us for 5 years in their trailers. Stupid me, I should have predicted that this game would take over 7 years to develop until SE decided to push it to PS4. Yup, all my fault. Totally not like SE published false information, nah, I should just have read their minds and know beforehand that this was gonna get pushed back. I mean, whoever heard of someone being so stupid as to believe that when a game says "For PS3" it's gonna be on PS3! Obviously it was gonna get pushed back to PS4 from the start! Like, duh!

Cool, it's not like there wasn't a plethora of other interesting titles released on the PS3 or anything in those 7 years. I'm sure you were well and truly ripped off and conned and have every reason to be annoyed at spending money on that poor little black dust collecting box sitting looking lonely under your TV that can't be used for anything because Versus XIII never came out. I'd suggest taking this injustice up with the Better Business Bureau.

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 09:53 PM

Cool, it's not like there wasn't a plethora of other interesting titles released on the PS3 or anything in those 7 years. I'm sure you were well and truly ripped off and conned and have every reason to be annoyed at spending money on that poor little black dust collecting box sitting looking lonely under your TV that can't be used for anything because Versus XIII never came out. I'd suggest taking this injustice up with the Better Business Bureau.

Yes, because I so said all I ever wanted for my PS3 is Versus, or that I have no games other than Versus for my console. And because it is totally unreasonable and retarded of me to expect a company to deliver upon their promise, and be somewhat dissapointed when they don't. Pfsh, whoever heard of a company doing what they said they were gonna do for 7 years. Ridiculous. In fact, why are all of you even getting excited? It's obvious that this game's gonna get pushed back to the PS5 and be renamed FF XVII at this point. Dur.

Aulayna
06-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Yes, because I so said all I ever wanted for my PS3 is Versus, or that I have no games other than Versus for my console. And because it is totally unreasonable and retarded of me to expect a company to deliver upon their promise, and be somewhat dissapointed when they don't. Pfsh, whoever heard of a company doing what they said they were gonna do for 7 years. Ridiculous. In fact, why are all of you even getting excited? It's obvious that this game's gonna get pushed back to the PS5 and be renamed FF XVII at this point. Dur.

Got a link to where they unequivocally promised it would be coming out on the PS3?

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 10:08 PM

Got a link to where they unequivocally promised it would be coming out on the PS3?

Oh, so all their trailers ending with "for Playstation 3", interviews with "Versus XIII is Ps3 exlusive" don't count? Yeah, you're absolutely right. How could anyone even believe this was ever gonna be on PS3! I mean, it's so obvious it wasn't gonna be. There never were even any signs it was gonna be on PS3. Anybody who bought a PS3 and added this game on their list of games they wanted to get for it is an utter moron, because obviously SE never promised it would be on PS3. They said it was gonna be for PS3, but obviously they never promised it, so obviously, anyone who expected this game to appear on PS3 is an utter moron and is a complete retard for being somewhat dissapointed it won't be for PS3 after all these years of waiting.

Thank you for enlightening me. I now know that when a company says for years something is going to be for this or that console, it is unreasonable to expect it actually will be for this or that console.

charliepanayi
06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
So you didn't get it on the PS3. That's annoying, yes. But deal with it, you will be disappointed sometimes by companies and others. Nobody's got a gun to your head to get a PS4 now. If you're that enraged just write it off and move on.

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 10:20 PM
So you didn't get it on the PS3. That's annoying, yes. But deal with it. Nobody's got a gun to your head to get a PS4 now. If you're that enraged just write it off and move on.

I'm not enraged, at least not at XV not being on PS3. I found it annoying and said so. I'm more put off that I got made out to be a total moron and retard for expecting it to be on PS3 in the first place and for daring to be annoyed by it. Yeah, I should be ashamed of myself for being not 100% positive about this new move of the great god SE. Please forgive this poor mortal sinner for having unreasonable expectations, oh great and powerful SE!

http://www.magicdeckvortex.com/forum/images/smilies/2010/anbet.gif

Aulayna
06-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Oh, so all their trailers ending with "for Playstation 3", interviews with "Versus XIII is Ps3 exlusive" don't count? Yeah, you're absolutely right. How could anyone even believe this was ever gonna be on PS3! I mean, it's so obvious it wasn't gonna be. There never were even any signs it was gonna be on PS3. Anybody who bought a PS3 and added this game on their list of games they wanted to get for it is an utter moron, because obviously SE never promised it would be on PS3. They said it was gonna be for PS3, but obviously they never promised it, so obviously, anyone who expected this game to appear on PS3 is an utter moron and is a complete retard for being somewhat dissapointed it won't be for PS3 after all these years of waiting.

Thank you for enlightening me. I now know that when a company says for years something is going to be for this or that console, it is unreasonable to expect it actually will be for this or that console.

Yes, exactly, they originally planned for it to be on PlayStation 3. But plans sometimes change. Planned games sometimes even get canned completely.

Do you have a right to be disappointed? Sure. But acting as if Square deliberately decided to fuck you over and forced you to buy a PS3 in the first place? Not really.

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 10:26 PM
But acting as if Square deliberately decided to fuck you over and forced you to buy a PS3 in the first place? Not really.

I don't recall ever saying that.

Crop
06-11-2013, 10:26 PM
This may sound like a silly question, but I'm not really up on my FF news so I have to ask - Is this game part of the XIII universe at all? Or is it an entirely new game/world?

I only ask because I don't want to buy it if there's the risk of any of XIII's world spilling over to it, since I utterly hated everything to do with FFXIII.

Jinx
06-11-2013, 10:27 PM
But acting as if Square deliberately decided to smurf you over and forced you to buy a PS3 in the first place? Not really.

Well, to be fair, you don't know his life. They COULD have.

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 10:35 PM
But acting as if Square deliberately decided to smurf you over and forced you to buy a PS3 in the first place? Not really.

Well, to be fair, you don't know his life. They COULD have.

They sure did. I mean, how am I ever going to recover from this traumatic experience?

Aulayna
06-11-2013, 10:37 PM

I don't recall ever saying that.

You're were pretty much getting at it with:

"Hey, all you PS3 owners who waited seven years for this game? Well, you don't get it after all, lol! Go buy a new system for 400 euros if you wanna play the game we promised for seven years would be on the console you already own, lol!"

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 10:38 PM
You're were pretty much getting at it with:

"Hey, all you PS3 owners who waited seven years for this game? Well, you don't get it after all, lol! Go buy a new system for 400 euros if you wanna play the game we promised for seven years would be on the console you already own, lol!"

Still don't see where I accused them of doing it deliberately.

Fynn
06-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Please guys, can we cut that out? It's getting really unpleasant here. Let's just respect each other's opinions and try to talk about the game itself. Also, please keep in mind that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit - doesn't make you sound smart, quite the contrary - but that's beside the point now.

Crop - from what I can see in the trailer, they are using the "Fabula Nova Crystalis" name, so I guess it's still part of it, but those games are still very loosely connected, not even taking place in the same world. I think there's just some vague mythos thing going on that is the same for all the games. Basically, the crystals and all that shit. So yeah, it's a totally different world.

Del Murder
06-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Yeah if what you're taking away from the FFXV announcement is that you wasted your money on your PS3 then you've got some issues. Let's move on and talk about the future and not the past since the future looks much more bright.

Pheesh
06-12-2013, 01:51 AM
That whole argument summed up in 15 seconds:

snsj0L8-4Iw

Aulayna
06-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Crop - from what I can see in the trailer, they are using the "Fabula Nova Crystalis" name, so I guess it's still part of it, but those games are still very loosely connected, not even taking place in the same world. I think there's just some vague mythos thing going on that is the same for all the games. Basically, the crystals and all that trout. So yeah, it's a totally different world.

Yeah as far as we know it's loosely connected to the overall mythos to do with the crystals - but beyond that it's a completely different world with no direct connection to XIII.

Loony BoB
06-12-2013, 10:27 AM
The only things I expect to be similar would be the crystals and perhaps the religion. At a push, it's possible that the ending of FFXIII-2 could perhaps influence XV, but I doubt it - my belief is that they are not connected in any way beyond the crystals.

Mirage
06-12-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a console based on a promise of an exclusive game that hasn't even been released. If you want a console for X game only, wait until X game has actually been released, dumbass. Why the hell would you buy the console years in advance if you just wanted it for that one game? You could have waited and gotten the console for way less money.

Besides, 400 bucks is ridiculously cheap for a new game system (in this day and age!). If it has a solid game lineup, it'll be my first launch-purchase of a console since... forever, I think.

Sephiroth
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I know how Elpizo feels because Versus was also one of the titles which was the reason I bought the PS3. But I have like 30 other games for it so - it might be a bit unfortunate but who cares. I got Nier for the PS3 and I will always find it better anyway.

Slothy
06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Just a friendly reminder that we do not insult people on this forum. Keep it civil or I'll lay the smacketh down.

theundeadhero
06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
The name Final Fantasy was an insta-buy for me since the days NES was a relevant console. That stopped with FFXIII-2. I haven't touched the game in forever and have no wish to. With that in mind I watched the FFXV preview when it was first announced to see if anything in it would convince me to pick the game up. Nothing did. The preview looks like it takes away more of what I like about the series and expands upon more of what I don't like. :(

black orb
06-13-2013, 07:41 AM
>>> I would have liked this for the PS3. Not that I care that much anyways..:luca:

Rodney
08-04-2013, 06:07 AM
I'd be astonished if there were no female playable characters.

I've been over at FF Wiki every so often over the past month-and-a-half, and every indication I've seen there says that there are none. Really, Square should've scrambled to add some the instant they decided to make this 15 rather than Vs. 13.

charliepanayi
08-04-2013, 08:39 AM
They should have scrambled to add some to appease some people on the internet?

Rodney
08-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Brilliant, Holmes.