PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Diets

noxious.sunshine
06-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Has anyone ever tried one? I've been interested in maybe getting into like a 2 week liquid fast type deal, just to see how it works and if it helps me feel better in the way of health and energy & whatnot. I'm already a huge veggie person (seriously, a large bag of baby spinach only lasts me like 3 days. XD), but according to what I've read, it can get really expensive 'cuz it takes so much of each veggie/fruit to get an adequate amount of liquid and that you have to switch up the greens (spinach, kale, endive, etc) so that you don't overload on one particular nutrient.

I don't have a juicer, but I've read lots of stuff where you can just use a blender, then strain the liquid into a glass / pitcher through a couple of paper towels or something and then save the pulp for soup bases and stuff later.

The only hard part will be avoiding alcohol -_-;;; ... Which I -have- cut back on a lot over the last ... month. Since the roomie got deployed (he's not a very good influence. heh).

Either way, I've gotta do -something-. The amount of stress that's piled up on me over the last few years has really taken its toll. Call it an excuse if you want, but it really is one of the main issues from my weight gain. And like I've said before, I'm really not a bad eater at all (and I've always been more of a snacker more than a "sit down and eat a full meal" type of person) and I almost never cook unhealthy foods at all other than the occasional pasta dish or my mom's fried chicken. There's just -something- wrong and I can't seem to pinpoint what it is. I'm kind of hoping maybe trying something like this will give my metabolism the kick in the arse it needs.. ^_^;;;

But anywho.. Thoughts?

Shorty
06-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I did a lemonade fast for four days and it was pretty damn amazing, but I can only imagine that it's incredibly different from a juice fast/diet. I would have liked to keep going but I had a smurfing insane combo endometriosis, anemic and hypoglycemic (thanks, period) episode and had to stop for the sake of my blood sugar. Even so, after I stopped my body felt so amazing and flushed out and I felt as if I had much more energy than before and it's a nice start-over point where you can reassess your diet and what you want to put into your body after working to get all of the toxins and trout out of it.

And yeah, you absolutely cannot have alcohol while you are doing either. Just make sure you know your body well enough to do this. Crazy things happen when you aren't intaking solid, proper food. You can still get all the nutrients your body requires and it will still go a little haywire. I would recommend weaning yourself onto soups and stuff in advance and slowly cutting out solid food before you go into the actual 2-week (or however long) juicing period.

Ildaughtherdelo
06-12-2013, 08:50 AM
This is really a big post I have never seen like that before now. I like it so much. Thanks for sharing such a nice information over here.:)

noxious.sunshine
06-12-2013, 09:06 AM
o.o; I think I'm scared.

Oh btdubs, thanks Shawtey. I probz try it next week after I get some stuff I got coming up outta my way. ... And we can afford groceries again. XD

Jinx
06-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Shorty, do you mean that lemonade/cayenne pepper diet?

noxious.sunshine
06-12-2013, 09:09 PM
The Master Cleanse!

It's made with um Water, Lemon juice, grade a maple syrup (or soething) and cayenne. I've thought about trying that too, but I'd probably get sick and die.

Hollycat
06-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I did a protein shake diet last year for a month replacing two meals a day with protein drinks. Lost 15 pounds. Unfortunately, it only took two months of regular diet to bring it back. You lose fast with liquid diets, but you also gain it back fast.

Shorty
06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Shorty, do you mean that lemonade/cayenne pepper diet?

I surely do, Shirley!

noxious.sunshine
06-13-2013, 09:17 AM
And it actually worked? Like you didn't feel like yakking from lack of well... Food & calories? How much of it did you drink a day? TELL ME~! lol

Slothy
06-17-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm just curious what the goal of doing some sort of liquid/juiced vegetable diet is for you? I get what you're saying about stress and weight loss and feeling like you need to make a change, but unless that change is that you want to give up pooping I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by trying this.

If you'd just like some advice for improving the diet and getting your energy levels up and generally feeling better and getting leaner then I know I'd be happy to help, and some other members like Miriel can certainly give some great advice too. But personally, I don't think a two week juice diet is going to do much for you, certainly not long term. Try it if you want though. Just be prepared to not poop for a while if you're straining out all of the fiber in what you're drinking. :)

Jinx
06-17-2013, 09:29 PM
My friend did a 3-day detox (it was juice, but you used fresh fruits/veggies and a juicer) and she was pooping like crazy. :shobon:

noxious.sunshine
06-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Just general curiosity and to see if it does anything to help. Like I've said before, I'm not a terrible eater by any means although I do go nuts a couple of times a week and eat like a massive steak or a cheeseburger & fries & snack around on junk - mostly on the weekends when we're drinking. During the week, though, I eat things like egg white omelettes with sauteed veggies (in olive oil) & turkey bacon for breakfast (the few times I make myself get up to eat breakfast) and like spinach salads for lunch with lemon or lime juice instead of dressing and then whatever I cook for dinner.... Which is the hardest part of the day 'cuz I genuinely -try- to go by breakfast being the main meal, but because of the BF's activity level throughout the day and his egregious eating habits, I -have- to cook a lot so that he gets enough. I've managed to get more veggies into -his- diet, but unless I make them and force him to eat, he won't just voluntarily go make himself a salad. Portion control is the main issue, then, I guess. It just gets ridiculous because if I cook too little, then there's not enough for him. If I cook too much, we're stuck with leftovers for a week and he gets tired of eating the same thing over & over again. -_-;

But I digress.

Day 1 of this beesh. I think I probably burned a good 50 calories using my blender & some paper towels & my knife to juice.

For breakfasy, I did: Spinach, Kale, Lemon, Ginger, Green Apple, Cucumber, Carrots, a Tomato, & Celery.

It's surprisingly really good.

And I chucked the pulp into a ziploc bag 'cuz I can't stand the idea of wasting it. I'm gonna add the rest of the pulp from what I juice today to it & throw it in the freezer for soups and stuff later on. It oddly looks like chunks of bright green pot. XD.