PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay Trailer For Final Fantasy XV - #E32013

Night Fury
06-11-2013, 11:42 PM

Here's a pretty sexy gameplay trailer for Final Fantasy XV for you, as if we hadn't been given enough treats from Square Enix today, they just top off that rather large cake with possibly the most juicy and ripe cherry of all!

0Wsh9iPrWSg

Three minutes and forty five seconds of absolute gaming awesomeness! If you think you know how a battle works in Final Fantasy, then think again - watch as Noctus flies through the sky, battling his foes from the sides of buildings. Just what even is gravity anyway? Watch as he dashes through a gang of Iron Giants, and wrestles against a beautiful Behemoth - gosh, I just cannot wait to see a glorious Behemoth on the big screen, in the complete glory of these graphics... Simply marvelous.

Sorry, just give me a couple of minutes to stop squeeing over how gorgeous Behemoth is.

Okay, I'm okay.

Also in this trailer, a nice look at another character. I'm unsure as to whether this guy is playable or not, but as he steps up to face Behemoth I'm sure he probably is. He's tattooed with facial hair and hulking shoulders... Pretty dreamy in fact. Nope, still not enough to take away my awe at Behemoth. Can you tell how much I love Behemoth? I thought not.

I'll say no more, watch this stunning trailer for yourself and share your thoughts below!

Scotty_ffgamer
06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
I need this game now. It looks like great fun, and for once my roommates won't heckle me while playing a Final Fantasy because they think turn based battle is stupid.

Night Fury
06-11-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't think I paid any attention to this trailer once Behemoth came on. He's all I needed to see. I may as well hand over my money right now.

KH-Cloudy
06-11-2013, 11:56 PM
The first word that came to mind immediately was: fun. Second would be: graphical.

Elpizo
06-11-2013, 11:58 PM
It really does look good, but I still can't quite figure out how this battle system will work exactly. It all looks so very fast, you can barely keep up with what's happening on the screen. I guess we'll have to wait until we see someone actually play it. Has there been any word of a demo being playable at E3? Aside from that, those Behemoths did look sweet, I like that design much more than the XIII one, in any case. Though I do have to wonder why they're pinkish. I also saw some Iron Giants, so I guess we'll be seeing more classical FF enemies in this too. The game has potential, lots of it. Then again, so did XIII...

Night Fury
06-12-2013, 12:02 AM
I will keep in touch with my contact about a playable demo, but I'm afraid he's rather busy on the phone to Nomura about getting me a certain monster as a pet.... :)

DMKA
06-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Looks incredible. I can't wait.

It feels so surreal seeing all this new material, confirming that this game is real and is actually going to come out. I feel like I'm dreaming.

pablo-hassan
06-12-2013, 12:19 AM
The game looks incredible and cant wait! Literally had tears of joy when it was shown at the playstation event lets hope its got a release date for next year

Aulayna
06-12-2013, 12:29 AM

'DAT LEVIATHAN

Dets
06-12-2013, 01:05 AM
It appears if it will play similar(ish) to the Kingdom Hearts games. Just, a lot more complex.

Mirage
06-12-2013, 01:26 AM
While I was kind of annoyed at the retitling of the game, I must say that it is shaping up to be everything I ever hoped for.

Totally hyped, man.

Freya
06-12-2013, 05:39 AM
OMG look at that gameplay!!! It's so pretty. The action rpg elements are awesome. I'm impressed!

Yar
06-12-2013, 07:03 AM
lol the hype. you guys realize that it's been seven years and still they have no planned release date? :p

This game is still a pass for me. No thanks, SE.

Loony BoB
06-12-2013, 07:09 AM
I don't think I paid any attention to this trailer once Behemoth came on. He's all I needed to see. I may as well hand over my money right now.
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/en/product/imgs/common/content/top/ce/image/item.png
FFXIV Collector's Edition. You get a behemoth as a pet. Just sayin'. Also, behemoth barding for your chocobo.

Fynn
06-12-2013, 07:19 AM
lol the hype. you guys realize that it's been seven years and still they have no planned release date? :p

This game is still a pass for me. No thanks, SE.

They already played us two trailers. That's already twice as much info as last time. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a date by the end of E3.

FFIX Choco Boy
06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
I so want to play this. A really nice change of pace for Final Fantasy, and I'm more than willing to try anything at this point. Except Final Fantasy VIII again, of course. But, man... Square Enix doing a physics engine? It's not the greatest looking, but a hell of a lot better than anything Bethesda has done. And it's got me more than sold. Take my money now, give me the game yesterday, I say.

Fynn
06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Did anyone else notice one of Noctis's swords looks like the Advent Children version of the buster sword?

Khaotic
06-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Way too realistic, nothing fantasy about it. Looks like they're fighting in New York City, classes have pretty much been thrown out the door. Sorry, not a fan of the next-gen direction.

Aulayna
06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
They've also uploaded the announcement trailer now too so we can finally see it again but in proper HD.

mO92sHr4knM

charliepanayi
06-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Way too realistic, nothing fantasy about it. Looks like they're fighting in New York City, classes have pretty much been thrown out the door. Sorry, not a fan of the next-gen direction.

That's realistic? Do you live in the Matrix or something?

ShinGundam
06-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Amazing!
Really looking forward to see summoning elements. The scale looks huge.

Loony BoB
06-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Yeah, I don't really get that criticism. Is it because they have tall buildings? Is it because they have stairs and chairs inside households? Both of those things existed within all Final Fantasy games. I'm pretty sure any world featuring cities with people boating into the main area via an aquaduct highway, not to mention Leviathan and Behemoth and magic spells and all that, is very much a world of fantasy. As for classes - do you know that for sure? Also, they were gone in FFVII too, but that game didn't do too badly.

It amazes me how quick people are to write off this game.

ShinGundam
06-12-2013, 09:04 AM

Lol XD.
Yeah, the game is fantasy or did you forget LEVIATHAN battle and ocean castle.

Fynn
06-12-2013, 09:51 AM

Lol XD.
Yeah, the game is fantasy or did you forget LEVIATHAN battle and ocean castle.

You mean you don't have a huge sea serpent in a lake nearby? Huh, what are the odds.

Jinx
06-12-2013, 10:04 AM
To be fair, I think if FFVII was re-made, it would look "realistic" too. This is in part due to the advances in graphics that we have today.

Night Fury
06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, Midgar in Advent Children certainly looked realistic :monster:

FFFFsephychibi
06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm incredibly impressed. I understand if some people don't feel it's their type of game, and understand if 13 was such a big disappointment that they don't want to touch this next game. But I feel like people keep on forgetting that the man behind kingdom hearts (Tetsuya Nomura) is directing, came up with the story for this, and the characters for this just like with kingdom hearts. The man who did the character designs for FFVII, VIII, X "the good final fantasies" The man who was with squaresoft before the merge, he is really experienced, I trust him. This is not going to be just like any old final fantasy and it's certainly not going to be like any FF from the past 5 years. It's going to have action rpgs elements cause that's what kingdom hearts has always done. And if you like a lot of the kingdom hearts games and it's gameplay, your probably going to like this one.

Basically what I'm saying is I feel like people are quickly writing it off like it's just another game, it's just another final fantasy, no big deal. When in fact this is not just another final fantasy, this is a special one thats had a really long development cycle.... XD

I've watched both trailers about 20 times now, and kinda can't stop. It's like a dream come true, the main trailer revealed during the conference shows off a lot of the cutscenes and story and ridiculously fun looking gameplay, the trailer later released during the future of final fantasy is mostly the battle gameplay which is very KHDDD and KH2, which is awesome.

There's some beautiful things happening in the trailers as well especially during actual battles. Like when noctis casts some type of fire spell at the behemoth, he reacts to the flames by shielding his face. The behemoth, crushes environments, the environments are no longer a pretty wall paper but part of the action and gameplay. Little things like these may not seem like a big deal, but they contribute the the player experience without us even realizing, you start to form a connection with the world and it's characters.

The only thing I'am particularly curious about, the UI is very different. Kind of want to know what happend to the "magic, ex-arts, summon, and item" menus which are now replaced with "warp, attack, and linkform". I really like how the ui is very sleek and simple looking now though.

Some of my opinions may not be right, but it's how I feel about this game, I really believe in it. I truly believe this game is going to bring me back to those great experiences I had as a teen playing older installments of FF and KH.

Pumpkin
06-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Well it certainly looks good.

Apparently it's an action RPG and I'm usually terrible at those :(. I think you still have the three party system and can switch between lead characters (a la FFXII). I might be mistaken, I've read so much about this game the past few days I might be getting things confused. But from the trailer it seems to be a three party thing. They're also seen using magic.

It's just so fast paced, I don't know that I could play it successfully. I dunno, I might just watch Joe Bryan play it or something. I'll definitely give it a try though. It could come off as different to play than it looks in the trailer.

FFIX Choco Boy
06-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm incredibly impressed. I understand if some people don't feel it's their type of game, and understand if 13 was such a big disappointment that they don't want to touch this next game. But I feel like people keep on forgetting that the man behind kingdom hearts (Tetsuya Nomura) is directing, came up with the story for this, and the characters for this just like with kingdom hearts. The man who did the character designs for FFVII, VIII, X "the good final fantasies" The man who was with squaresoft before the merge, he is really experienced, I trust him. This is not going to be just like any old final fantasy and it's certainly not going to be like any FF from the past 5 years. It's going to have action rpgs elements cause that's what kingdom hearts has always done. And if you like a lot of the kingdom hearts games and it's gameplay, your probably going to like this one.

Basically what I'm saying is I feel like people are quickly writing it off like it's just another game, it's just another final fantasy, no big deal. When in fact this is not just another final fantasy, this is a special one thats had a really long development cycle.... XD

I've watched both trailers about 20 times now, and kinda can't stop. It's like a dream come true, the main trailer revealed during the conference shows off a lot of the cutscenes and story and ridiculously fun looking gameplay, the trailer later released during the future of final fantasy is mostly the battle gameplay which is very KHDDD and KH2, which is awesome.

There's some beautiful things happening in the trailers as well especially during actual battles. Like when noctis casts some type of fire spell at the behemoth, he reacts to the flames by shielding his face. The behemoth, crushes environments, the environments are no longer a pretty wall paper but part of the action and gameplay. Little things like these may not seem like a big deal, but they contribute the the player experience without us even realizing, you start to form a connection with the world and it's characters.

The only thing I'am particularly curious about, the UI is very different. Kind of want to know what happend to the "magic, ex-arts, summon, and item" menus which are now replaced with "warp, attack, and linkform". I really like how the ui is very sleek and simple looking now though.

Some of my opinions may not be right, but it's how I feel about this game, I really believe in it. I truly believe this game is going to bring me back to those great experiences I had as a teen playing older installments of FF and KH.

QFT I couldn't agree more Chibi. Tetsuya Nomura for the freaking win! Just as long as it's not another Final Fantasy VIII...

CimminyCricket
06-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I haven't been excited for a Final Fantasy since X. I'm very excited to play this game.

Khaotic
06-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I don't really get that criticism. Is it because they have tall buildings? Is it because they have stairs and chairs inside households? Both of those things existed within all Final Fantasy games. I'm pretty sure any world featuring cities with people boating into the main area via an aquaduct highway, not to mention Leviathan and Behemoth and magic spells and all that, is very much a world of fantasy. As for classes - do you know that for sure? Also, they were gone in FFVII too, but that game didn't do too badly.

It amazes me how quick people are to write off this game.

People take my words too literally, instead of trying to see the point I was trying to make. Obviously I feel *in my opinion* Final Fantasy titles shouldn't appear so "real" in terms of graphics. If people honestly thought I meant every single object in the video is compared as realistic in real life, then I don't really know what to say other than quit trying to find an argument out of nothing just because it is criticism to something you may enjoy.

Final Fantasy 7 sort of did have classes, it was more on their personality, limit breaks, and weapons. For example, it was pretty clear that Yuffie was a thief, Cid was a Dragoon, and Aerith was a White Mage - true, they didn't necessarily specialize in said class, however you could still feel a bond with them based off the classes Final Fantasy is known for.

Problem here is we view the word "fantasy" different. To me, that video didn't depict as much fantasy as something else would, the spells and summons simply looked out of place. When I see chocobos running around, moogles, cactuars, different "fantasy" landscapes, maybe my opinion will change, but for now I'm sticking with what I said.

Not trying to call you out, Bob, just thought your reply at least seemed thought provoking unlike the others.

Freya
06-12-2013, 11:01 PM
This would fall under the genre "urban fantasy" its a sub genre of fantasy.

Ouch!
06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Are you suggesting that Final Fantasy should have a more stylized art direction? If so, that boat sailed almost 15 years ago. Aside from Final Fantasy IX, no numbered entry in the Final Fantasy series has featured stylized art direction since consoles moved from sprites to polygons.

Despite being photo-realistic, I think you'd be hard-pressed to describe Final Fantasy XV as mimicking real life. In just these two most recent trailers, we've seen enormous examples of neo-gothic cathedrals built on the edges of waterfalls (seriously, take a look at the shot at 1:30 in the Sony press conference reveal trailer and tell me that city looks like anything other than pure fantasy), soldiers wearing full heavy plate armor with bucket helmets and machine guns, giant airships, monsters, magic, over-sized swords, and a main character who freaking teleports up the sides of buildings. I'm genuinely confused as to what more that you could possibly want.

It seems that you have an objection to urban fantasy, but urban fantasy is still fantasy, even though it may not be the type you prefer. But suggesting that urban fantasy is new to the series (and thus a surprise) is ingenuous. Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X (to a lesser degree, but Bevelle and Zanarkand both qualify), and XIII all featured modern (or futuristic), urban locations set-pieces. I'd argue that aside from the cars and such, the cities we've seen so far are remarkably similar to Archades or Rabanastre from Final Fantasy XII in design.

And we've only seen small portions; FFXV allegedly features an enormous, open world. Who's to say that there aren't sprawling fields and mountains to traverse? I sincerely doubt that the entire game will take place in one city. Just because we haven't seen them yet doesn't mean that there won't be chocobos, moogles, and cactuars. We've seen a combined 8 minutes of footage from the most recent demo and trailer. It's probably a little early to start complaining about what is missing.

Edit: Beat to urban fantasy, but there it is.

Khaotic
06-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Difference between those games and 15 is that 15 has much better graphics. Simply put, it's going to be hard to avoid a Space Jam problem once they introduce more cartoon types of characters. Honestly, once you start seeing chocobos or moogles, you don't feel like they'll be out of place? or simply forced into the game? How about a cactus with a face running around?

Sephiroth
06-12-2013, 11:30 PM
How about a cactus with a face running around?

It is not like Noctis looks like the typical human being. He looks like an anime-hero like all the protagonists. I did not mind facing Cactuars with Terra, nor with Cloud, with Squall who even chased one with a mustache and I don't with Noctis either.

I totally agree with you what I see from the atmosphere and gameplay is not what I normally prefer for Final Fantasy. But I don't even know the final result and I am sure that I will not only enjoy things I wanted to be included and which will be shown but also many of the things which were not like in the normal Final Fantasys.

Del Murder
06-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Yeah, you're barking up the wrong tree if you want a stylized fantasy setting. This hasn't been the series for that kind of stuff for years.

I do see the criticism of having a 'too modern' world. I certainly wouldn't want to play a FF game set in Tokyo, and having Leviathan pop out of the ocean wouldn't be enough to offset the normality of the world. But clearly FFXV isn't going to be entirely like that. There's a floating castle for gods sake!

Khaotic
06-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Yeah, you're barking up the wrong tree if you want a stylized fantasy setting. This hasn't been the series for that kind of stuff for years.

I do see the criticism of having a 'too modern' world. I certainly wouldn't want to play a FF game set in Tokyo, and having Leviathan pop out of the ocean wouldn't be enough to offset the normality of the world. But clearly FFXV isn't going to be entirely like that. There's a floating castle for gods sake!

Fair enough, I'll agree that maybe the Tokyo lookalike area wasn't my cup of tea and it may have clouded my judgement on the rest of the game. I'll wait to see what else is revealed about the rest of the game.

Depression Moon
06-13-2013, 03:25 AM
The water is the worst place to be when Leviathan is around.
The game looks fun, but the teleporting confuses me. I hope the game maintains classic FF elements such as magic, items, and summons. I think I saw a fire spell cast twice, but I'm not sure where it came from. That scene with the behemoth in the parking deck was cool, so was sword fighting with an iron giant and killing him with his own sword then torching his corpse.

Fynn
06-13-2013, 05:49 AM
I remember reading that Noctis can teleport to anywhere one of his swords is.

Vyk
06-13-2013, 10:13 AM
That video gave me the biggest metaphorical "WTF boner". In a good way

It was like God of War, and Xenoblade Chronicles had a baby in Grand Theft Auto land. And then just colored everything Final Fantasy for the decor. I can maybe understand where people are hesitating. But so far it looks like the first real effort since like ... a long time. Very long time

I'm genuinely stoked. And I honestly never thought I'd feel that way about a Final Fantasy release again. I really hope it pans out at LEAST better than FF13..

FFFFsephychibi
06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Does anyone notice how like the last 30 seconds of this trailer looks like it's from FFVII? I don't think that original mood we got from the earlier trailers has disappeared entirely :) looks so exciting!

Griever731
09-26-2013, 11:44 PM
The trailer was beautiful. I hope that the game involves exploration/many routes rather than a totally rigid linear path.

Though the gameplay footage looks awesome I can imagine such scenarios to be confined to 'set piece' scenarios and I hope there is some genuine 'free roam' exploration as well as dramatic set piece moments.

Jessweeee♪
10-04-2013, 02:47 AM
that's a big fuckin' sword

Quindiana Jones
10-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Difference between those games and 15 is that 15 has much better graphics. Simply put, it's going to be hard to avoid a Space Jam problem once they introduce more cartoon types of characters. Honestly, once you start seeing chocobos or moogles, you don't feel like they'll be out of place? or simply forced into the game? How about a cactus with a face running around?

My ability to exercise my imagination is not dependent upon the source material presented to me.

Jessweeee♪
10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
How about a cactus with a face running around?

I hope the cactus has a mustache like the one in FFVIII.

Rocket Edge
10-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Only seeing this now. It looks impressive and the graphics are amazing. I'm also delighted the Nomura is in charge of this thing. But I have one issue that is bugging me:

I'm not exactly worried about the turn based combat going as I loved FFXII's battle system, I'm just pessimistic that it'll turn into something like Assassins Creed or InFamous gameplay which personally bores me to tears. What I loved about past FF's was being able to relax and level up, collect items, and not have a hundred things flying around and being alien to halve the stuff that's going on.

But I am confident apart from that. I think SE know they can't mess up again after XIII, and with Nomura in charge I believe we will be treated to a very decent story line. Fingers crossed.

Mercen-X
10-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Every time I see the climbing/scaling, I think Shadow of the Colossus which is a game I love. From what I can glean of the "three-party" system, it seems very obviously Kingdom Heart-ish have a secondary and tertiary collaborator in combat that you never directly control but can give orders to. From what I can guess about the story, it will start with a long-winded and massive, possibly claustrophobia inducing, coup for the Callum family crystal which brings to my mind the opening act to Okami wherein defeating Orochi at first feels like the end of the game (when my girlfriend played it, this was her impression... learning the game continued on past the initial credits, she refused to play the game any further), but from there, the game goes on and gets even longer. I look forward to being able to hijack enemy vehicles to use in combat.

Elskidor
11-01-2013, 12:50 PM

I don't think so. For some reason they like to present flashy futuristic type stuff in trailers, which really isn't my cup of tea as a selling point either, but I'm sure they will have a lot more than this. I could be remembering things a bit off, but I recall as we were leaving the SNES generation Square would show these trailers of Final Fantasy that looked like they had fallen off their rockers. VII's commercial was about some big ass city, with guns, motorcycles, massive explosions and rocket ships. It confused the bloody hell out of me, and the VIII's trailer showed a bunch of armed battle ships heading to a big beach of open gun fire, and made me wonder if the new FF took place on D-Day in WWII.

I'd rather look at something a bit more mystical than a polluted up modern day looking city too, and I'm sure it's in the game, but for whatever reason they chose not to show it off yet. This is the only description about XV's world that I have seen, "The game is set in modern times, but the city-like country Lucis which protagonist Noctis hails from is the only technologically advanced location, otherwise surrounded by m (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval)edieval nations."

I doubt we will see this game until 2015 though.