PDA

View Full Version : How do you show you care?

Pumpkin
06-12-2013, 07:34 PM
This applies to friends, family, partners, what have you. What little things do you do to show people that you care about them? Presents and stuff are nice, but sometimes it's the little things that mean a lot.

Here's a few:
-Foot/back massage
-Putting a new soap bar in the shower when the other one runs low because my boyfriend always forgets
-Sending texts to remind the person they're special to you
-Posting little facebook messages on people's walls
-Listening to people vent when they need to
-Making coffee the way someone likes
-With my son I let him pick an activity and we play the way he wants to. (Kids have some weird ideas about how trains and stickers and play-doh work, so sometimes just join in with his unconventional ideas.) That way he feels good, we spend fun time together.
-I also bring him to the park at least once a day when I visit. There's a park he particularly likes that my mother won't bring him to (long story; she brings him to other parks) so it's a nice change of pace for him and he enjoys it.
-Also letting him "help" with things like mixing batter, or assembling toys, even when the help just makes things more complicated.
-Telling people they're appreciated.

Shauna
06-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I don't. >:{

noxious.sunshine
06-12-2013, 09:08 PM
The only way to prove to my parents that I care is if I send them money. heh.

I show my boyfriend that I care simply by gracing him with my presence. And sometimes cooking & cleaning.

My chitterling, eh. Same as Shion. I let her help me cook and play with her a lot and take her shopping when we have extra money. ... And let her wash the dishes and make her bed. XD

Other than that, I don't really care about too many people enough to go out of my way to be and show that I "care".

Night Fury
06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
With family I will help out with things for them, like if my Mum is particularly stressed I'll clean up a bit for her so she doesn't have to.

With friends I like to buy us treats for movie nights and stuff like that, or buy some wine if I know they've been having a hard time.

It's hard to say how I show I care for Phil, I like to write him silly poems on his VM wall, and then texting him silly things, sending him silly photos and stuff. I'm sure when we're together I'll be better at it. LDR is a ballache for that really, but I'm looking forward to giving him massages after work, cooking him dinner and having lots of cuddles with him. :jess:

Parker
06-12-2013, 09:17 PM
i tell them

Jinx
06-12-2013, 10:01 PM
I pay attention to what's going on in their lives. I'll give them a message, text, or call when we haven't spoken in awhile.

Sometimes I'll go the extra mile and clean up around the house or something. If I see something that reminds me of someone for whatever reason, I'll snap a picture of it or buy it.

Mostly, I just try to do things that say "I'm thinking about you!"

Cuchulainn
06-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Actions. I'm shit at talking about feeling and stuff. The words are there but they never escape the mouth. So i do things. Actions are louder anyway.

Chemical
06-13-2013, 05:56 AM
With mouth. And by that I mean blow jobs.

Fonzie
06-13-2013, 07:24 AM
With mouth. And by that I mean blow jobs.

Hell in this economy, blow jobs are about the only jobs I can rely in; all in.

Loony BoB
06-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Depends on who it is, really... everyone is different, and I think I show those people I care by doing things that I think will show I care, I guess? For example, with Danielle I give her presents, cuddles, massages and whatnot. For Kat, I give her a shoulder massage. For Sus, I'd just talk to her for hours. For Dan, I buy a present for his mum. For Tara, I'll pay for an early train ticket when she's sick and needs to get home to bed. For Nicky, I'll talk to her through to the early hours regardless of how much I desperately need to sleep. Basically I'm a big believer of being there for a friend when they need you, in whatever way I can be.

Pheesh
06-13-2013, 11:16 AM
For my Mum I make sure I visit her as often as possible, usually 2 or 3 times a year and I always try to extend my stay for her or else she gets very sad. We also speak every Thursday which has been a tradition for a couple of years now I think, it's a nice way to remind one another that we're still very close despite not living anywhere near each other.

For my Dad, uh... I guess I put up with all of his lectures and try to follow his advice as best I can, but we're very different in a lot of ways which makes it hard sometimes. Basically by not packing up and moving to Melbourne to live with Mum was the main way I showed him I cared for him and wanted to make an effort to make up for time we didn't get to spend together when I was younger.

With Tara I try to remember small dates and events like how long until she gets here or just anniversary stuff. I also think I'm pretty good at buying presents and sending nice messages quite often. I also try to organise times for us to Skype and when we do I tend to stare at her like a creeper, so she should know that I find her pretty attractive >.>

Night Fury
06-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Or you know, you stare at your own hair for ages!

Pheesh
06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Well yeah... but can you blame me? /smug

Night Fury
06-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Not really xD

Faris
06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Abuse. Lots and lots of abuse >:}

Sephex
06-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Buy them a Christmas card. No matter what.

Madame Adequate
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
It depends on who it is.

If it's family, I give them hugs and stuff, check on them, that sort of thing.

With Steph, I give her footrubs when she gets in from work, and backrubs, and I snuggle her tightly. I always check on how she's doing, and I try to say "I love you" whenever I'm going to brb or something because then if something happens to me the last thing I said to her wasn't spazzing out over a ridiculous Internet meme or something.

Quindiana Jones
06-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Finger up the bum. Every scenario.

Unbreakable Will
06-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Family, eh other than my parents I tend to keep my distance with my family these days. Uber-religious and judgmental so I tend to not get along with them.

As far as friends go I'm only friends with people I give a shit about to begin with so I generally do whatever I can to help within reason.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Abuse. Lots and lots of abuse >:}

I use the same method.

Chemical
06-14-2013, 01:52 AM

I see you've plaid knifey spooney before.

I see your finger and raise you a fist.

dandy da oak
06-14-2013, 03:04 AM
This is getting kind of violent :freak:

noxious.sunshine
06-14-2013, 03:46 AM
Oh. I showed my parents I cared one time by moving to BFE per my dad's request and then paying for their boxer's vet & cremation bill instead of using that money to get my license back.

Quindiana Jones
06-14-2013, 04:17 AM

I see you've plaid knifey spooney before.

I see your finger and raise you a fist.

How am I supposed to know you love me if you don't go up to the elbow? :(

Shorty
06-14-2013, 05:45 AM
Alright. Gross.

Pike
06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
I try to say "I love you" whenever I'm going to brb or something because then if something happens to me the last thing I said to her wasn't spazzing out over a ridiculous Internet meme or something.

YOU MIGHT DIE AT SOME POINT IN THAT 18 INCH SECTION BETWEEN YOUR BEDROOM DOOR AND THE BATHROOM

<3

Shiny
06-14-2013, 05:18 PM
A thank you or endorsement isn't enough? Well then, usually like dinner or taking them out to a movie, but mostly I just would prefer to do something that doesn't require me getting hit on by people who have the wrong idea.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-17-2013, 05:30 PM
mostly I just would prefer to do something that doesn't require me getting hit on by people who have the wrong idea.

So......Quinn isn't getting it up to the elbow?? This is sad news. :(

Formalhaut
06-17-2013, 08:19 PM
It varies from person to person, but a generalised viewpoint is:

Being there when they need you, showing that they mean alot to you, and making their life easier.

I could go all soppy and start regaling everyone with poetic tales of friendship, but, the above statement rings true for me. As does all the other things people have said.

Rebellious Eagle
06-18-2013, 12:00 AM
I'm not a very touchy-feely person, but you know I care about you if I openly show interest in your life and listen to your problems, whatever they may be. I try to offer a lot of good advice and I'll offer to help you with any issues you have.

Calliope
06-18-2013, 04:19 AM
I try to pay attention when people speak. I am also in the habit of making and giving people cards, mixcds, little drawings, and baked goods.

black orb
06-26-2013, 10:39 AM
>>> I buy presents.. since im very poor thats like the ultimate sacrifice..:luca:

sharkythesharkdogg
06-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Ants.

Boxes and boxes of stinging ants hidden throughout their underwear drawer.

Araciel
06-27-2013, 05:21 PM
A good kick in the uterus.

with my third leg

Mahad
07-01-2013, 08:33 AM
If you're talking, I listen.
I laugh at your bad jokes.
I don't tell you you look ugly/bad in that outfit when you ask.
I spend time with you when I'll much rather be somewhere else.
I try to help you cook, and I'll cook for myself so you won't have to.

Other things, not specific to anyone person.

Christmas
05-26-2022, 11:44 AM
I will cling onto them like a parasite and suck their life away. :bigsmile:

Now you know what happened to the other members. Because I cared. :bigsmile: