PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when the Irish are allowed Sun

Cuchulainn
06-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Dear Jeebus,

You know full well we dont' know what to do when you allow us to see that shiny yellow thing for those 1/2 days of the year of your choosing. This is what we do. We crawl out on Sunday morning with a hang over, find a bench and fall asleep.

What's the worst sunburn any of you hoors have had?

Jinx
06-12-2013, 09:48 PM
I went to the beach when I was 16 and didn't wear sunscreen. We were there for hours, and I am extremely pale, probably as pale as you.

It was so bad I couldn't wear a bra or shoes.

Shorty
06-12-2013, 10:40 PM
I also have the pale pale pale pale BURN BURN smurfING BURN thing with my skin :( it suuuuucks

I've had friends who burn and their skin bubbles and boils and shit, though. Thankfully, I'm not that bad.

noxious.sunshine
06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm mostly Irish. Once upon a time, though, I had a tan. When I was younger, on the swim team, and in the pool all day errday. Even with sun screen. I still got a tan.

ONE TIME though, when I was in like 6th grade, I did -not- wear sunscreen, and I probably had 2nd degree burns on my back. It was -terrible- and extremely painful. The only thing I could wear that wouldn't agitate my back was this "backless" halter dress my sister had bought for me that I -loved-. I'd been staying with her for spring break. We argued over me wearing it out to eat and she was like "Omg it looks -so- bad and -so- embarrassing!" and I'm like "IDGAF beesh! My back -hurts-!" My sister is evil.

Put vinegar on that mess. It helps. Soak some paper towels or uh. wash cloths in white vinegar and lay it all out on yer back. Mmmhhhhhhmmm. Feels goooood.

Shauna
06-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I do alright in the sun, despite being from Ireland's similarly sunless cousin.

I did managed to burn one arm on Sunday. So now I am wandering around looking like an absolute tool with one tanned arm and one looking as pale as ever.

Chris
06-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I just become the color of dark chocolate, and I'm not even kidding. :eep:

Cuchulainn
06-12-2013, 11:18 PM
I do tan, eventually. I have tannable skin. I learned this in 1988 when i won a prize at school. An American family would take in a Belfast kid for a summer to take them away from the fighting. Out there i tanned like farmer. It's just that my skin so unused to sun that if you surprise it like that it panics and gives up.

My chest is almost as bad. I'm now itchy. itr's not flaking though

Rocket Edge
06-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Went to the bog for two days last week stacking turf and burned the back of my neck to crisp. I have sallow skin though so the rest of me tanned but my neck was so bad that it started peeling a few days ago. :aimsad: Doesn't get more Irish than that folks.

Jinx
06-12-2013, 11:58 PM
I do tan if I give it the right sort of patience.

Shauna--I drove for 4 days cross country. When I made it to PA, my left arm was considerably more brown than my right, and I had a bit of a farmer's tan where my t-shirts would cut off. xD

Pike
06-13-2013, 12:18 AM
I tan more often than I burn, good thing I never go outside so I don't have to deal with either.

Top of my scalp will burn like a bitch though, if I don't wear a hat.

Bunny
06-13-2013, 01:11 AM
I prevent burning by never going outside long enough to burn.

Faris
06-13-2013, 01:52 AM
I prevent burning by never going outside long enough to burn.
This or being in the shade.

NorthernChaosGod
06-13-2013, 03:53 AM
I'm Mexican; what's sunburn?

Shiny
06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
I am a fair skinned black person so I do burn but then after the pain and red go away I gleam golden like Beyonce. So honestly, the initial burn is worth it.

Quindiana Jones
06-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I used to be quite podgy (fat bastard). I got sunburn arches over my mantits. :(

krissy
06-16-2013, 04:01 PM
aloe vera

Chemical
06-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I did managed to burn one arm on Sunday. So now I am wandering around looking like an absolute tool with one tanned arm and one looking as pale as ever.

Truckers often have one armed tan from leaving it out the window as they drive....

Shauna is a trucker

Theoretically I could burn if I went out in the sun but I tend to lurk in the shade of the palms and still wear sunscreen.

Quindiana Jones
06-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Oh, and I was once an avid cyclist. Still am, really, I just don't have a bike anymore. :(

But anyway, cyclist's tan. The last joint on each finger; tanned. A circle on the back of my hands; tanned. My arms from mid-bicep to wrist; tanned. My legs from mid-thigh to the top of each knee; tanned. My face; tanned. The back of my neck; tanned. A triangle on my chest; tanned.

Everything else; fucking luminescent white. :colbert:

Pheesh
06-17-2013, 04:24 AM
I tan almost instantly. The only exception being my chest which is why I will do my first couple of small burns in Spring when it's only about 25-28 degrees. That way by the time Summer kicks around I'm tanned enough to not really burn or have to worry about tanning in crazy 35+ days.

The worst burn I ever had was in Queensland during Summer. I hadn't done what I explained above during Spring so I was still pale-ish from Winter. It was 37 or something and we went to the beach and then played basketball. I was fine after the beach but wearing just a basketball jersey while we played for a few hours pushed it over the top. Over the next few days my shoulders blistered up like nobody's business, I also had to try and sleep on an air-bed which was near impossible. To this day I have a bunch of freckles on my shoulders from that burn which weren't there before.

noxious.sunshine
06-17-2013, 05:14 AM
My dad is a retired truck driver, I'll have you know.

....., He didn't have the "driver's tan" as you call it.

That's so racist.

XD

Chemical
06-17-2013, 08:16 AM
My dad is a retired truck driver, I'll have you know.

....., He didn't have the "driver's tan" as you call it.

That's so racist.

XD

Racist? Are you drunk?

Shauna
06-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Shauna is a trucker

:shifty:

It's the wrong arm for a UKer to have burned. If I could have gotten away with that excuse I would have. :(

Loony BoB
06-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Oh, God, Cuch is one of those people who wears his legging attire low so as to show off his underwear. I didn't know you were a tit, man. I'm not sure I can associate with you anymore. :(

EDIT: I've had pretty bad burns on my back before when I was a kid/teen in NZ. I remember my entire back peeling off at one point, and how there was a patch of skin that came off in one piece basically the size of half my back. It was pretty neat, but my Mum wanted to put it in a photo album or something and that is taking things too far. Weirdo Mum. >=P I've probably been burned quite a lot in my life overall but yeah.

I remember when I went to Menorca, I missed a square inch of skin in the middle of my chest when putting on sunscreen somehow, and it burned like a bitch. The weird thing is that the resulting tan didn't go away for months. Seriously. It was like looking at my skintone from when I was in NZ... but just an inch of it. :( I miss being tan all year 'round. It is nice to know that despite how pasty I've become since arriving in Scotland, I can still get tan pretty well in a hot country and hold it for a long time. Most Brits I know just go hot pink and then straight back to pasty white. :p

Cuchulainn
06-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Oh, God, Cuch is one of those people who wears his legging attire low so as to show off his underwear. I didn't know you were a tit, man. I'm not sure I can associate with you anymore. :(

It's not like we swapped spit beforehand anyway dude. But for the record, that was post-belt being taken off. it was digging in to the sunburn on me belly. I'd of shown you all my chest burns but excess swooning would have happened and I'd of been inundated with marriage proposals. Ain't no one got time for that.

Jinx
06-17-2013, 01:45 PM
You can get tan without burning. You just have to eeeeeeease into it.

Cuchulainn
07-07-2013, 07:02 PM
I did it again :( This time me chest

Chris
07-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Post a pic...

I've been out in the sun all day, and I'm soooo tanned right now! You can't really tell as my skin is brown, but I feel it! My skin genuinely feels sore. But, I like summer and the heat, so I don't mind.

Shiny
07-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Melanoma for everyone. :jess:

Cuchulainn
07-07-2013, 07:17 PM
I dont know what else i expected. i'm a fuckin idiot

escobert
07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I got a good one yesterday while at 6 Flag New England. mainly just my neck/face and forearms since they're assholes and don't let you have a shirt off in the park. But, have no problem have 45 minute lines in the sun :mad2:

Rebellious Eagle
07-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I've got Irish blood and very pale skin so I sunburn pretty much any time it's hot outside. One time I went to the beach for like 3 hours and came back completely burnt. I couldn't shower without awful pain. I even wore sunscreen but I guess it didn't help at all D:

Pheesh
07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
This whole thread reminds me of this image:

http://www.lolwithme.org/wp-content/uploads/IrishGirlSunbathing.jpg

Yar
07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Hey Cuch, do you look tan after the burn goes away, or do you go back to fair looking skin?

I burn easily. Really easily. But if I'm careful, I can manage to get a modest tan and not have to suffer insane burning.

Last summer I went to the beach and despite putting on strong sunscreen, I was as red as lobster by the time I made it home.

Cuchulainn
07-07-2013, 08:14 PM
tans thankfully.

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
It takes a lot for us pasty people to achieve a tan. Careful gradual exposure to the sun with a certain spf sunscreen..... Yeah. I looked it up.

Sunless tanner. Though it sucks cuz I cant reach the upper 1/2 of my back so it kind of winds up being a fail unless I leave my hair down to cover it up.

Jinx
07-08-2013, 12:16 AM
I was on a boat for 5 hours today.

I didn't wear sunscreen.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

escobert
07-08-2013, 01:05 AM
I don't ever wear sunscreen an tried to get burned at the beginning of summer otherwise I'll never tan. I just have to get one good burning in then I'll tan :p

Denmark
07-08-2013, 01:11 AM
I was on a boat for 5 hours today.

I didn't wear sunscreen.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

i went out on the water 3 days in a row (a personal record streak)

ow my shoulders

Shorty
07-08-2013, 01:29 AM
Snow white tans, nerds. Porcelain's better than red clay!