PDA

View Full Version : Boys and their Toys

Chemical
06-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Bf just got a new remote control microhelicopter. As I sit here and watch him play with it I can't help but think of the term "boys and their toys."

I am not allowed to touch it unless I read the manual and try the simulator software first.

It was the last thing he did at night and first thing he thought of this morning.

It absorbs most of his attention.

He is giddy like a child and does not fathom my lack of excitement for spare tail rotator gears.

Do your boys have toys?
(It is pretty cool granted I would likely smash the thing and quickly call it a day)

Quindiana Jones
06-14-2013, 04:37 AM
My dad bought me a quadricopter for my 21st birthday. My sister bought me an inflatable zombie head.

I really don't like toys. I like useful things. The more practical the better.

Jinx
06-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Yeah, me. :smug:

Denmark
06-14-2013, 04:49 AM
dude helicopters are awesome

Psychotic
06-14-2013, 09:43 AM
I just got a free yo-yo from an exhibition and I can't stop playing with it at work. :shobon:

Loony BoB
06-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Does Football Manager count? Because damn.

mIRCStats, too, if software counts. Excel! Oh man. xD

Right, material things: ...nothing springs to mind, but I know that when I someday have a large house in NZ, I am going to have a bloody epic slot car racecourse set up at some point. Dad and I used to spend ages setting them up in the spare family room when we had a massive house when I was a kid, and it would take about four charging points to power the entire thing. It was amazing.

Pike
06-14-2013, 10:33 AM
dude helicopters are awesome

noxious.sunshine
06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Uhm.. -My- boy doesn't have a toy of any sort unless you count the PS3, which I've been playing more than he has lately. Well.. And his new car.. He bought a Mazda 3 Skyactive. He's all in love with it but sometimes wishes he'd bought the Speed 3 like his roommate did instead even though he sucks at driving it cuz the clutch is way too stiff. Whatevs.

IDK. I don't know that any of us were really into toys in that sense.. I mean, aside from when we were kids and whatnot. My brother & sister had mini dirt bikes & four wheelers when they were little, I had a Yamaha Waverunner... My dad's "toys" are anything and everything that enhances his t.v./movie viewing pleasure. And Budweiser. meh.

Shoeberto
06-14-2013, 03:10 PM
My "toys" these days are mostly related to computers or programming.

Quindiana Jones
06-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Whenever you lot say toys with quotation marks, I can't help reading it with a coy tone, and it makes me think you're talking about sex toys. :(

Jinx
06-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Whenever you lot say toys with quotation marks, I can't help reading it with a coy tone, and it makes me think you're talking about sex toys. :(

EoFF: Eyes on Fucking Fleshlights

NeoCracker
06-14-2013, 03:48 PM
I"m to cheap to buy a Fleshlight....

ANYWAY!

Yeah, my toy's pretty much entail gaming systems. :p

Pumpkin
06-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Yes.

Denmark
06-14-2013, 03:52 PM
coy tone

and i can't help but read that as "toy cone" and i'm getting all confused

escobert
06-14-2013, 03:54 PM
My computer is my boy toy.
or my guns :)

Quindiana Jones
06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Or a "toy" cone?

That's definitely something you'd insert into something, or insert something into.

Denmark
06-14-2013, 04:01 PM
coy cone

toy tone

everything is dirty

Quindiana Jones
06-14-2013, 04:03 PM
(n); coyote

theundeadhero
06-14-2013, 04:22 PM
My computer and my Harley are my toys.
You can't touch them.

Pike
06-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah I'm pretty protective about my computer and also my car. I hate when other people drive my car. Especially because they end up pushing the seat all the way back and messing up the mirrors and :argh:

Jinx
06-14-2013, 04:38 PM
I hate when other people drive my car. Especially because they end up pushing the seat all the way back and messing up the mirrors and :argh:

This. So much this. No one EVER drives my car because of it. I was kind enough to let my stepdad drive one day because his car was in the shop, and he had to go to class. When I got in there, the seat was back, the mirrors were messed up...but worst of all...HE HAD CHANGED THE STEERING WHEEL POSITION.

That day, I said never again. I'd rather waste the gas dropping off and picking up than letting someone drive my car again.

Rantz
06-14-2013, 04:50 PM
The opening post amuses me because my coworker said he wanted one just the other day and I made fun of him for it. Then he bought one anyway. :jess:

I feel like a joyless grinch but I don't get that giddy about stuff I buy. New phones, I suppose. I have other nerdy pleasures, like well-crafted typography. I think that's just a nerdier flavour of enjoying arts and crafts, though.

Madame Adequate
06-14-2013, 04:51 PM
I get the feeling that if I could actually drive, that would be the source of most of our relationship problems between me and Pike :shobon:

Pike
06-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't get that giddy about stuff I buy.

I get giddy about new video games sometimes :squee:

Shiny
06-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes! I just pre-ordered the collector's edition for Splinter Cell: Blacklist and it's about $160. I ony got it because my dad has such a fondness for RC planes and the collector's edition comes with one.

My bf will literally collect toys, but mostly from gifts that other people have given him. I find that a lot of guys in their 20s still have some little dolls lying around and/or samurai swords. The only toys I need are my games and my computers.

Pike
06-14-2013, 05:18 PM
I've gone to a couple midnight game releases. Great stuff. Now that most everything is digital it's the countdown for the Steam unlock and I just can't handle the excitement a lot of the time :hyper:

Sephex
06-15-2013, 12:03 AM
I usually get a bit giddy when I get a new video game related thing that I was really looking forward to. Some select released from bands I like as well. Most of the time, it is very internal. You can tell I am excited, but my voice and body language won't change much.

~*~Celes~*~
06-15-2013, 12:12 AM
my husband's current toy is his ipad, and my son feels the same way. Mine is my laptop.

Freya
06-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Cars. The boyfriend bought a truck so his sports car can stay inside and be protected. He wont even drive it in the rain. He babies that thing. He can go on and on about cars.

Cuchulainn
06-15-2013, 12:38 AM
From the age 6 to about 14 I literally felt uncomfortable unless I had a football within touching distance. After that I then moved on to vagina.

I'm not really a techy person to be fair. I like computers, phones etc but if they all disappeared tomorrow I'd live.

PS: Shiny, you're one of my favorite people here and are extremely attractive so dont take this the wrong way. I literally can't remember the last time you posted and never mentioned your boyfriend. Stop this immediately. i'm beginning to hate him. lucky bastard

sharkythesharkdogg
06-15-2013, 02:14 AM
I get pretty pleased with myself when I develop new performance upgrades for project cars I'm working on. I like to see them come to fruition.

Chemical
06-15-2013, 04:51 AM
he is very techy and likes gadgets... I just helped mount a weather station.

http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/products/images/array/hres/446-01-WWS12-Advanced-Wireless-Weather-Station-for-Home.jpg

And everything is hooked up to his network... so we are on a hot date and maybe it is raining and BAM! pull out the mobile so he can look at the feed from his weather station... 0.25 mm of rain in 20 minutes with a 4degree NWN wind at 2km/ph.

Pike
06-15-2013, 10:36 AM
wait that weather thing is super cool

Pheesh
06-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Musical instruments and music software. I get so excited whenever I buy any new piece of musical equipment, and even when it comes to just changing the strings on my guitars I will take all day oiling up the neck and cleaning every inch of the body. I love it!

Quindiana Jones
06-15-2013, 02:49 PM
PS: Shiny, you're one of my favorite people here and are extremely attractive so dont take this the wrong way. I literally can't remember the last time you posted and never mentioned your boyfriend. Stop this immediately. i'm beginning to hate him. lucky bastard

For those interested, this is the post you quote when Cuch goes on about what a bunch of loser nerds we all are and how he can't understand why he keeps coming back. ;)

Cuchulainn
06-15-2013, 03:05 PM

For those interested, this is the post you quote when Cuch goes on about what a bunch of loser nerds we all are and how he can't understand why he keeps coming back. ;)

I've never said i cant understand why I keep coming back. I know why i keep coming back. You ARE a bunch of nerds, but I'm quite partial to a lot of you.

Don't invent trout I've said kid, I say enough nonsense as it is.

Quindiana Jones
06-15-2013, 03:07 PM

Cuchulainn
06-15-2013, 04:35 PM
aw look at you trying to annoy me. you've grown up so fast.

Dr. rydrum2112
06-15-2013, 05:11 PM
My "toys" include my ps1/2/3 but my major toy is my Vdrums.

XxSephirothxX
06-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Two toys I have in my room: plush Team Fortress 2 sticky bombs. Exactly like these!

http://www.teamfortress.com/images/posts/stickybombs.jpg

I often bounce one off the wall and catch it when I need to stand up and take a break from working.

Aulayna
06-16-2013, 08:27 AM
I will take all day oiling up the neck and cleaning every inch of the body. I love it!

Some people take good care of their "toys." :jokey:

Pheesh
06-16-2013, 08:38 AM
I knew how dirty it sounded as soon as I typed it, and left it like that because it appropriately conveys how weird I am when it comes to cleaning my guitars :monster:

Night Fury
06-16-2013, 08:40 AM
I will take all day oiling up the neck and cleaning every inch of the body. I love it!

Some people take good care of their "toys." :jokey:

And you know, he just never does that to me :(

Shiny
06-16-2013, 03:02 PM
From the age 6 to about 14 I literally felt uncomfortable unless I had a football within touching distance. After that I then moved on to vagina.

I'm not really a techy person to be fair. I like computers, phones etc but if they all disappeared tomorrow I'd live.

Well the thread is about dude toys mostly. My dad and my bf are really the only guys I spend a lot of time with. :monster:

Cuchulainn
06-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Well the thread is about dude toys mostly. My dad and my bf are really the only guys I spend a lot of time with. :monster:

Really? What about GOD? huh?

DownDiagonalLeftA
06-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Besides my car, these past few months I've become hooked on buying tools. Especially if they're german and occasionally japanese made. My boss has a set of power tools from a german company called "Metabo", I absolutely love them. Would buy them myself if I didn't already have a bunch of Milwaukee stuff (which is made in China these days :().

I occasionally buy cool statues or figures, but not too often. My most recent statue was a SS Goku fighting Frieza in his final form.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Having the right tool is so helpful. I picked up a set of impact swivel sockets, and some bolt extractors. Life savers!

I also found a good site that sells blank automotive connectors, so when I'm modifying wiring harnesses I can make a plug that fits the factory connector instead of having to replace the whole thing. It makes things nice, clean, and factory under the hood.

DownDiagonalLeftA
06-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Having the right tool is so helpful. I picked up a set of impact swivel sockets, and some bolt extractors. Life savers!

I also found a good site that sells blank automotive connectors, so when I'm modifying wiring harnesses I can make a plug that fits the factory connector instead of having to replace the whole thing. It makes things nice, clean, and factory under the hood.

Impact swivel sockets are so useful, I also love Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches with the flex heads! And nothing beats a factory OEM look.

Trying to save for a set of Digicool digital refrigeration gauges now.

Pike
06-17-2013, 10:17 AM
I always wanted one of those full-on wrench sets that have got every size but they're mondo expensive.

Ratcheting wrenches <3 Craftsman for the lifetime warranty.

Greatermaximus
06-17-2013, 11:23 AM
*hides it behind back*

What do you mean?

Yerushalmi
06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
A few months ago I bought these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2c9/).

I thought I'd had to wait until next winter to use them but then we had a very unseasonable cold spell. My wife can attest to how giddy I was at using them - and how every time I walked down the street I was hoping someone would call me.

Chemical
06-18-2013, 04:23 PM
A few months ago I bought these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2c9/).

I thought I'd had to wait until next winter to use them but then we had a very unseasonable cold spell. My wife can attest to how giddy I was at using them - and how every time I walked down the street I was hoping someone would call me.

:) Well now I know what I will be getting my bf for xmas... *bookmarked

Shlup
06-18-2013, 08:11 PM
My dad is all into the little helicopters. He started with one of those micro ones, then two... then like one with four propellers. Now he's got one that has four propellers, a camera, and GPS. He's ridiculous.

My husband has two toys: his guitar and his baby. He hasn't touched his drums in forever but has been teaching himself to play guitar. He likes to play for my belly, but now that the human is out of my belly he's excited to play for her as soon as she's home.

Madame Adequate
06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
My dad is all into the little helicopters. He started with one of those micro ones, then two... then like one with four propellers. Now he's got one that has four propellers, a camera, and GPS. He's ridiculous.

I think you mean he's awesome. That quadracopter sounds amazing and I want one.

black orb
06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
>>> Videogames and consoles? I guess that count as my only toy..:luca:

About remote control things, no thanks. That was fun when I was 5 years old...