PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Worlds Discussion ...

HasteInTime
06-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Persistent Worlds Discussion ...
(Critical Thought: What if Games like KH used it?)

Okay so a lot of Devs like Ubisoft or Capcom have been discussing persistent worlds at E3 in addition to stuff like DLC in Games like Dead Rising 3 or TC: The Division Which really got me thinking. It would not surprise me to see older games like Kingdom Hearts that have yet to exist in a more modern console format and it got me thinking...

KH has always been a working model of how worlds could be persistent but with further aid from the Cloud services used for these persistent worlds then, these games can even just update on the fly and evolve constantly.

That is SO cool. Think about it! The possibility of playing in games such as KH3 with worlds, settings, characters, items and weapons (everything and anything) that will have the ability to seem to have appeared almost seamlessly out of nowhere as a free update (or DLC). Near limitless content updated every time the Dev chooses to do so for free or for a charge as an Expansion. We can even say goodbye to day one DLC being the thing that should have been in the game in the first place, well almost. DLC itself would likely be able to actually feature more the traditional Expansion content in a more modern way because of this. Most Devs like the idea of being able to go back and add in content that would have been otherwise cut as a free update rather than having to supposedly add it with additional content as DLC. Even so, DLC like that could still exist but with the way this next gen is supposedly gonna be, the idea of a persistent and constantly updated world is a very tempting idea.

For games such as KH3 I hope would take advantage of this since it's on both X1 and PS4. We all know that Live requires Gold for online play and so does PSN now for online play with the addition of PSN+'s current model. So lets say for example a traditional single player experience like KH can now take advantage of a co-op partner as well in addition to everything. Even though its not necessary it would be cool to see someone to be able to assist you in battle as another character in the party. Kinda like the drop in and drop out Fable II henchmen idea. You could get rewards such as items and/or currency for assisting a player or friend and maybe trade things like gummy ship parts? and even help in space battles while in their party. I would flip for that, just to have the ability to do that w/friends or a friend. So many possibilities are opened now that we have consoles that may not or don't require a physical patch on the hardware with the aid of the cloud services. Allowing for more dynamic persistent worlds than ever before much like Bungie envisioned with Destiny.

Now I can't wait to see what KH3 does and how any game will do this if at all. I haven't been this excited for an assistant type cloud service feature ever. Bring on the Persistent World possibilities! :p

Any thoughts or ideas on the subject?

Do you like the idea? why? or If not, why do you dislike it?