PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between a cheeseburger and a hamburger?

Pike
06-14-2013, 10:57 AM
They both have cheese so what is the difference? :confused:

Calliope
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty sure that traditionally, a hamburger does not contain cheese.

Pike
06-14-2013, 11:07 AM
A hamburger without cheese sounds terribly dull!

Shauna
06-14-2013, 11:16 AM
I am sure that is why cheeseburgers were invented.

Pike
06-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Inventing cheeseburgers was a very good move, then!

kotora
06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Someone here's obvs never had a good hamburger :monster: a good burger is delicious by itself with some extra veggies, a good bun and some pickles.

Loony BoB
06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Hamburger: A very poor man's cheeseburger.

Also: NO HAM.

Sephiroth
06-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Our hamburgers don't have cheese. It would be paradox and destroy the fabric of reality.

Jinx
06-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Someone here's obvs never had a good hamburger :monster: a good burger is delicious by itself with some extra veggies, a good bun and some pickles.

This is true. It's all about getting the seasoning on the meat right, though.

I do prefer cheeseburgers.

Pike
06-14-2013, 12:28 PM

I'm American I think I know more about burgers here :colbert: A burger without cheese is silly.

Jinx
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM

I'm American I think I know more about burgers here :colbert:

Okay, now Pike has a point.

noxious.sunshine
06-14-2013, 01:08 PM
A cheeseless hamburger is just... It's wrong, I say!

Grilling burgers is indeed an art form. Not only do you need to season the meat properly, but you also need to get the right fat-to-meat ratio (not too fatty, not too lean), form the patties in a good size & well-made circle, the grill has to be the perfect temperature... And the bun. Not no silly el cheapo bs whatever crap you find in the bread aisle. No no. You gotta go to the -bakery- and get like a Brioche bun or something. XD

I totes just channeled Michael Symon right now.

Chris
06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
McD hamburgers do not have cheese in 'em!

noxious.sunshine
06-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Au Contraire. The McDouble has cheese. So does the Quarter Pounder & the Double Quarter Pounder and the Big Mac. And that other $1 burger with the white cheddar & grilled onions. In fact, most of their burgers have cheese - you have to ask for no cheese for it to become a cheeseless boring hamburger. -_-; I just realized how pathetic that all sounded. I don't even -eat- McD's. Why do I know this?

Loony BoB
06-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Au Contraire. The McDouble has cheese. So does the Quarter Pounder & the Double Quarter Pounder and the Big Mac. And that other $1 burger with the white cheddar & grilled onions. In fact, most of their burgers have cheese - you have to ask for no cheese for it to become a cheeseless boring hamburger. -_-; I just realized how pathetic that all sounded. I don't even -eat- McD's. Why do I know this?
The official burger called Hamburger at McDonalds has no cheese is what Chris means. I don't know what it's called in 'merica, but over here and in NZ a 'hamburger' is the cheapest burger you can get in McDonalds. Anything else is not a hamburger - it is a Double Cheseburger or a Quarter Pounder or a Big Mac, etc.

Jinx
06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
I don't even eat a bun on my burgers. It ruins it.

Sephiroth
06-14-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't know what it's called in 'merica, but over here and in NZ a 'hamburger' is the cheapest burger you can get in McDonalds.

Same in Germany.

Agent Proto
06-14-2013, 03:38 PM
There are several variations of the cheeseburger besides just topping a hamburger with cheese. For one, you can embed the burger meat with cheese. Another, you can grill the meat with the cheese melting on top. Either way is fine!

kotora
06-14-2013, 04:10 PM

I live only a few hours away by train from Hamburg :colbert:

Quindiana Jones
06-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Belgium does the best meat sandwiches. Presumably the surrounding countries are similar in their gorgeous meatitude.

Madame Adequate
06-14-2013, 04:28 PM
>Burger without cheese

I mean... I guess? If you're in Uganda or something and can't get any cheese? But if you live in the first world there's really no excuse.

Loony BoB
06-14-2013, 04:44 PM
>Burger without cheese

I mean... I guess? If you're in Uganda or something and can't get any cheese? But if you live in the first world there's really no excuse.
Dietary requirements. Danielle's Dad can't have cheeseburgers for that very reason, and gets hamburgers instead.

Psychotic
06-14-2013, 06:01 PM
>Burger without cheese

I mean... I guess? If you're in Uganda or something and can't get any cheese? But if you live in the first world there's really no excuse.Last week I was at London's only ICC for work. There were 20 or so different food places inside, which was absolutely insane to me. They had a store for every type of food ever. Naturally, yours truly went to the burger joint. However, because it was in a fancy pants convention centre and combined with London being London, everything was smurfing expensive as trout. A cheeseburger was £1.20 smurfing more than a hamburger. In that moment, I briefly considered getting a regular hamburger as smurf you, I am already giving you like three times as much as this would cost at McDonald's.

Then I remembered work was paying and ordered the cheeseburger. :)

Pumpkin
06-14-2013, 06:53 PM
A cheeseburger is a hamburger with cheese :3.

You know what else is good? Cheese dogs. Not like the hot dogs with cheese on top but the ones with cheese inside of them.

Pike
06-14-2013, 06:57 PM
A cheeseburger is a hamburger with cheese :3.

So if all hamburgers are cheeseburgers, why do we still use the word hamburger? :confused:

And yeah the hot dogs with cheese inside are amazing

Pumpkin
06-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Not all hamburgers have cheese on them?

EDIT: It's because some people are crazy and prefer their hamburgers sans cheese. I don't understand this, but it happens.

Pike
06-14-2013, 07:01 PM
I have never seen a hamburger without cheese. Like... honestly, I never have.

Madame Adequate
06-14-2013, 07:21 PM
>Burger without cheese

Dietary requirements. Danielle's Dad can't have cheeseburgers for that very reason, and gets hamburgers instead.

As I said, there's no excuse.

>Burger without cheese

I mean... I guess? If you're in Uganda or something and can't get any cheese? But if you live in the first world there's really no excuse.Last week I was at London's only ICC for work. There were 20 or so different food places inside, which was absolutely insane to me. They had a store for every type of food ever. Naturally, yours truly went to the burger joint. However, because it was in a fancy pants convention centre and combined with London being London, everything was smurfing expensive as trout. A cheeseburger was £1.20 smurfing more than a hamburger. In that moment, I briefly considered getting a regular hamburger as smurf you, I am already giving you like three times as much as this would cost at McDonald's.

Then I remembered work was paying and ordered the cheeseburger. :)

This story had a happy ending :3

Denmark
06-15-2013, 07:09 PM
I have never seen a hamburger without cheese. Like... honestly, I never have.

Hamburger :: McDonalds.com (http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.sandwiches.256.hamburger.html)

and now you have

Slothy
06-15-2013, 10:43 PM
I think Pike's confusion stems from the fact that while all cheeseburgers are hamburgers, not all hamburgers have cheese.

noxious.sunshine
06-16-2013, 09:43 AM
The cafeteria @ the elementary school I worked at stopped putting cheese on their burgers. Cheese got too expensive, I guess.

Shame. Their cheeseburgers were pretty damn good, too.

Cheese -inside- the hot dog, though? I've seen it, have yet to try it. The idea is just weird beyond belief to me. Kinda like those red Filipino/Mexican hot dogs, "loaf", and bologna.... That ish is just strange.

Loony BoB
06-18-2013, 01:08 PM
>Burger without cheese

As I said, there's no excuse.
You want my future father in law to die? :(

Night Fury
06-18-2013, 01:14 PM
You know what is better than a cheeseburger? A cheeseburger with BACON.

I fucking love burgers.

I love those cheap burgers from McD's but nothing beats a proper gourmet burger. Oh myyy lord! Now I noo longer want to go to the chinese place for my birthday, I wanna go to Frankie and Benny's because their bacon cheeseburgers are the bomb diggity.

Pumpkin
06-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I used to love cheeseburgers with bacon but lately I've been getting them without because the bacon has just been too much.

The first time I went to Wendy's (like two years ago) I got the double baconator expecting the size of like a McDonald's burger. the thing was massive and I couldn't finish it.

Pike
06-18-2013, 04:43 PM
I got a baconator once. I think it was probably a thousand calories or something and I ate it all.

noxious.sunshine
06-18-2013, 04:53 PM
As well it should be. It's like Sonic .. Back when I worked there, I got into looking at the nutritional value chart and these preppy whatever girls would order extra long chili cheese coneys with extra chili & extra cheese in their SoCal Valley Girl voices and I'd be like "Are you suicidal?." (I really wouldn't say that to a customer, but ya know)..

Bacon cheeseburgers are delish though.

LongHorn has a crunchy campfire burger... They put potato chips & bbq on that beesh. It's -awesome-. With a big fat slice of cheddar cheese. And I ask them to throw some bacon & pickles on it. Yuuuummmmmmm.

Denmark
06-18-2013, 06:40 PM
I had a Baconator for lunch today. I may or may not hate myself for it (I don't, that shit was delicious)

noxious.sunshine
06-18-2013, 06:47 PM
I must try this. I quite like Wendy's. Strangely enough, I haven't had a cheeseburger from there. I've had their chicken sandwiches, their salads (which -are- bomb diggity), and uh.. They're baked potato. heh.

Oooooo Steak n Shake. They're cheeseburgers are -awesome-... Steak N Shake is pretty much awesome in general. As is -Frisch's- Big Boy (if it's a Big Boy & doesn't have "Frisch's" in front of it, it isn't the same. My mom knows this 'cuz she's obsessed with their tartar sauce). I haven't had Frisch's in many years. They don't have them down here anymore. There used to be one in my neighborhood, but it got shut down when I was in high school. I think the closest is somewhere in Kentucky. Like... Ashland.

EDIT:

Also, A&W. Mmmmmhhhhmmmm.

Flying Mullet
06-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Well I'm American and I disagree with Pike. :doublecolbert:

I love a good hamburger, which is a 1/3 lb all-beef patty, lettuce, tomato, onion and dill pickle with ketchup and mustard.

Cheese ruins the hamburger. It's like drowning your popcorn shrimp in ranch or tartar sauce and saying you love seafood.

Slothy
06-18-2013, 07:19 PM
You want my future father in law to die? :(

Is he lactose intolerant? Because I can't think of any other reason not to put cheese on a burger. But since that won't kill you it's still not a reason.

But unrelated to the cheeseburgers, yes I want your future father in law to die. For... reasons...

:shifty:

Mirage
06-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Pft, the cheese that's on most cheeseburger hardly has a noticable taste through all the other tastes in the burger. I put bacon on my burgers instead.

noxious.sunshine
06-18-2013, 07:44 PM
It does if you have like deli-thick slices of cheese... Like if you go to Wal Mart and go to the deli and have them slice your own cheese... Baby swiss, sharp chedder, etc.

American cheese, since it's typically what's put on burgers unless you go somewhere that gives you options (like cheddar, provolone, swiss) is a very mild cheese in general, so of course it won't add much flavor-wise to the burger... Unless you throw 2 slices on there, and then it just kind of. Seems off. IDK... I'm not a huge fan of American cheese at all. I'll use it in a grilled cheese with swiss mixed in, & my daughter likes it, but otherwise, I don't really use it.

Mirage
06-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I have no idea what american cheese tastes like, seeing as I am not american.

I know cheddar doesn't taste a whole lot on burgers though.

Rantz
06-18-2013, 07:51 PM
I usually prefer cheeseburgers but there is something to be said for hamburgers also! I care more about the meat that's used in the patty than the cheese, though. And don't get me wrong, I'm cheese's #1 fan. I would marry cheese and have little cheese babies if I could. And then eat my family. But there are way more wrong things than a burger with no cheese.

Pumpkin
06-18-2013, 07:53 PM
I have no idea what american cheese tastes like, seeing as I am not american.

I know cheddar doesn't taste a whole lot on burgers though.

It's basically a type of cheddar, Mirage. I'm also quite annoyed by it. it's suddenly not cheddar but "American". Same taste, same packaging and everything. Seriously guys?

They do have cheddar called cheddar, it's just American is a particular kind of cheddar from what I can tell. It sure as heck looks and tastes like it though.

EDIT: Cheddar is a hard English cheese while American cheese is a smooth and creamy processed cheese. Cheddar has more flavor while American cheese, being artificially processed rather than aged naturally, is less expensive. Because it is processed, American "cheese" doesn't technically qualify as cheese and cannot be sold without labeling it as “processed cheese”. That’s the reason “Kraft Singles” can’t be legally sold as “Kraft Cheese” and is always labeled as “processed cheese”

So it's basically sub par cheese.

Pike
06-18-2013, 08:36 PM
American cheese is another word for processed cheese, it's not really a real cheese per se.

No one ever puts it on quality burgers.

Rantz
06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
American cheese is Freedom cheese.

noxious.sunshine
06-19-2013, 05:19 AM
American cheese might as well be Cheeze Whiz.

Y'all described it exactly the way I was trying to.

It's good on a grilled cheeze sammich, but on a burger? No way.

LocoColt04
06-19-2013, 06:54 AM
My roommate cooks burgers that have Monterrey Jack IN THE MIDDLE.

Now that's a cheeseburger.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-19-2013, 07:13 AM
A good cut of beef made into a hamburger and cooked medium/medium-well just needs salt and pepper and it is tasty as all hell (though if it is a tenderloin cut you could go blue or rare, though at that point I'd rather have tartare). Though a cheeseburger with Jalapeno Monterrey Jack is awesome. Both are good really.