PDA

View Full Version : Emulation Discussion

Pike
06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
I know that a lot of us here are like me and have, uh... acquired some wonderful old console games on our computer. I do this with NES/SNES primarily, because I don't have either console at the moment :(

So let's talk about it! I'll start the discussion with a question: what controller do you like to use for playing emulated retro vidya? I've been using the wired 360 controller and it works well enough but it kind of feels weird to use a big bulky modern controller to play, I dunno, Super Mario Bros. or something.

Polnareff
06-14-2013, 12:48 PM
First I used the Saitek P-660, which was great for fighting games due to the 6 face buttons. But the internal wiring is flimsy so the controller gives out within a year. I went through 2 of them.

Then I used a Logitech controller which looks like a smaller PSX controller. They are flimsy as well. My first one fell a foot and a half and landed on the heater, and the d-pad broke off. :| So I got a second one and that one lasted until late last year. It technically still works, but when you push right on the d-pad it feels strange, like the pad will just snap off.

Now I use this product from Komodo where you can plug two PSX controllers in. It works but just barely, due to the fact it keeps shutting off. You'll be playing and all of a sudden, the controller stops working, so you have to unplug it then plug it back in.

I also use my wired PS3 Gamestop controller. It sucks for fighters but is good for everything else.

Bolivar
06-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Cheap logitechs all day everyday. I did have a pretty sweet Airflow for a stretch where I played a bunch of very classic SNES RPGs ^_^

Karifean
06-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Usually I just use my Dualshock 3 Controller.

I actually got into the habit of playing Super Mario World with the keyboard. :p

Del Murder
06-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Back when I used to do this I would just use the keyboard. The only game I would emulate on PC these days would be games that never came out in the US. Mother 3 and Seiken Densetsu 3 in particular.

Shauna
06-14-2013, 02:56 PM
I have a cheap crap USB controller which does the job. :3

Shoeberto
06-14-2013, 03:12 PM
360 controller is the best. I used to have a PS2 to USB adapter and it worked reasonably well but there were so many wires. 360 wireless is just wicked convenient and easy. It feels like playing on a console.

NeoCracker
06-14-2013, 03:27 PM
I use my PS3 controller for emulating. If I could I would use a gamecube controller, but alas a PS3 is the second best option. :p

Denmark
06-14-2013, 03:40 PM
SNES controller with USB adapter for as many games as i can get away with using it for. Gamecube controller or PS1 controller for N64/PS1 games, also with USB adapter. (PS1 has like 2 extra buttons that SNES doesn't have otherwise I'd use the SNES controller)

HasteInTime
06-14-2013, 07:21 PM
I know that a lot of us here are like me and have, uh... acquired some wonderful old console games on our computer. I do this with NES/SNES primarily, because I don't have either console at the moment :(

So let's talk about it! I'll start the discussion with a question: what controller do you like to use for playing emulated retro vidya? I've been using the wired 360 controller and it works well enough but it kind of feels weird to use a big bulky modern controller to play, I dunno, Super Mario Bros. or something.

The 360's controller reminds me of that of the Dreamcast's. It's just updated perfectly apart from the wonky D-Pad. I tend to use the 360 Controller myself for a bunch of PC games and I love to play SSB'64 with friends using the 360 Controller since I only have one spare working 64 Controller by Nintendo leftover now. The 64 controllers would also begin to wear out the analog stick pretty good after some heavy/longtime use or after some Mario Party playtime in one sitting, which then it became kinda loose and eventually breaks the controller. Which is facenating they didn't build the N64 for the Mario Party experience or mostly have durability test/check before hand for all the rotating and crazy button mashing. Oh well. o.O

Personally if I could I would get my NES Advantage USB'd to play some games on. Best and my first fight/joypad stick ever.

Other Favorite Emulated games I have as backups are:

-Backcopy N64 Games-
Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye 64
Perfect Dark
Body Harvest (a Rockstar North/DMC game :D)
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
Legend of Zelda OOT
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
... (more)

KH-Cloudy
06-14-2013, 09:00 PM
I just use my DS3 controller as it feels the best to me. :p

theundeadhero
06-18-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't really have a need to emulate anymore but I used to use the keyboard then a PS2 controller plugged into a USB adapter.

Mirage
06-18-2013, 07:54 PM
I play my retro vidya on a Logitech Dualshock-clone, because motioninjoy is a piece of crap and I don't want to deal with it anymore. I used to use MIJ and a DS3.

Also, if you have the 'puter for it , PS2 is emulated pretty well now.

Aulayna
06-19-2013, 11:32 AM
I use the Windows version of the XBOX controller. Does the trick. Very handy for playing Final Fantasy XII now my PS2 has finally died. :(

Araciel
06-27-2013, 05:35 PM
I LOOOOOOVE emulation.

Corded 360 controllers ftw

Most noteworthy accomplishments -

playing DS games at more than 30 fps on my android

running ps2 at super resoultions on a 52 inch screen

getting baldur's gate dark alliance (and champions of norrath etc) to run with a full screen

Polnareff
06-27-2013, 09:56 PM
I pretty much emulate on my PS3 right now in terms of retro games and things, because a lot of times, when I play games on my PC now, the save files for the roms will disappear after a few months. I tried to load up my file for Dual Orb 2 recently and it had been wiped. This happens a lot with my PSX emulator too. I had a Legend of Legaia save file that was about 3/4 of the way through the game, with most of the arts and my characters at high levels, and one day I played it and the file was gone.