PDA

View Full Version : As If Microsoft Didn't Do Enough Bad Stuff During E3...

Evastio
06-15-2013, 03:54 AM
They have this to add to their list (http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=205110):

http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/_thumbs/Images/2013_6/O7PctG2.jpg

Wow, this is some pretty crazy stuff. Microsoft is certainly in damage control mode with Xbox One right now. They're trying to sway people back in their direction. Apparently, one of the ways they're trying to do so is by hitting up Nintendo's Best Buy E3 Experience Event.

Believe it or not, multiple reports are coming in stating that Microsoft employees are hitting up the line and asking people why they would bother with Wii U when Xbox One is right around the corner. As you can see in the image above, there is indeed someone wearing a Microsoft shirt approaching people in line. This is just a bit too much for me!

Yeah, that's not disrespectful at all. Asking why they prefer Wii U over XBox One, that's absolutely fine and still respectful. But why bother with the Wii U? Just because they don't think the Wii U is all that great, that doesn't mean they should ask the question in that way. Even Sony's president is very respectful towards Nintendo, proudly showing off his Year of Luigi badge he got at E3 (http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=205352) and getting a Wii U around its launch period and posting on Miiverse quite a bit on it (he even made light jabs towards the PS3 about its $599 launch price on Miiverse).

Sending poor Microsoft employees to question Nintendo fans after the outrage Microsoft's E3 caused. Well, it's safer than sending Microsoft employees to Sony fans, especially since Sony just mostly bashed on XBox One for their conference. There's no reports about any Microsoft employees getting attacked or hospitalized yet (yeah, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I could see people taking out the XBox One outrage on the poor Microsoft employees told to do this).

DMKA
06-15-2013, 04:15 AM
Too bad none of this terrible publicity will make a bit of difference in the sales of the Xbox One.

And then after the Xbox One sells just as well as the 360 did, if not better, all these terrible business moves will become industry standards.

RIP video games.

Pike
06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
To be fair I've been saying "RIP video games" for the past ten years and video games have yet to RIP

HasteInTime
06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Ya know just cause a guy wears a shirt and says they are from somewhere doesn't make it so. After all my dad used to actually work for Little Ceasers and ran a seprate chain out in Pennsylvania from 1986-1996. So I happen to be lucky enough to have an actual older Little Caesar's Corperate Polo-Shirt and business cards. Point is one time I was wearing my 'sed' special corp. polo-shirt and I had ordered a pizza at a Little Caesar's, the entire establishment thought that I was an corp. employee come to inspect and gave me a full order for free. Best day ever but very stupid of them. So I walked out with free pizza and bread. XD

I do wonder if this guy is a fake cause:

1.) All Microsoft employees are not supposed to say this phrase at any given time: "I work for Microsoft"

2.) Microsoft Staff and Employees on the Xbox Team itself are too busy with work to care to do this. It's a poor waste of time, management and resources.

3.) IF your an actual employee of Microsoft and are dumb enough to have opened your mouth public breaking the policies like by saying "I work for Microsoft" ... "blah, blah, blah" - your fired. So you can say goodbye to that day job. Most likely, lol. Just look at so called 'poor' Adam Orth! lmao XD

Polnareff
06-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Too bad none of this terrible publicity will make a bit of difference in the sales of the Xbox One.

And then after the Xbox One sells just as well as the 360 did, if not better, all these terrible business moves will become industry standards.

RIP video games.

DMKA, you're a wise man.

I keep telling all my Xbox fanboy friends this, and they just don't care. I'm sad to also say that some of these said friends actually run a video game store and always suggest the 360 over everything else. And I mean EVERYTHING.

This bad publicity really doesn't matter. People are trying to find excuses to bash on Sony now as well, like saying that since Sony leaves the whole DRM thing up to publishers, that they're no better than Microsoft. This doesn't make sense though, just because MS still has those stupid used game restrictions anyway. Not to mention the system plays big brother every single time you turn it on.

Of course, this opens up a new can of worms with the MS defenders, crying about how PC does the same thing. But you can bet your ass that most console gamers aren't PC gamers. There also haven't historically been restrictions on games, unless you modded your system this past generation (by past generation I am talking about 360/PS3/Wii) and were unable to play because of system updates. Even so, you could get around that.

But the stupid stuff that MS is doing is beyond nuts, and people still wanna defend them and support them anyway, just like with Apple.

People are crazy.

Psychotic
06-15-2013, 11:30 AM
There's no reports about any Microsoft employees getting attacked or hospitalized yet (yeah, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I could see people taking out the XBox One outrage on the poor Microsoft employees told to do this).Anybody who assaults an employee of a company because they prefer the product of another company is probably less a symptom of Microsoft's poor business decisions and more a symptom of mental illness.

Still, I have trouble believing this news story. Regardless of how awful the Xbox One will be, I imagine everybody who is at E3 is still queuing to give it a go anyway, irrespective of their big corporation loyalties. I also think their staff are probably extremely busy with marketing their own product and engaging in damage control rather than trying to sway the odd person or two from a competitor's queue.

Pheesh
06-15-2013, 11:59 AM
It's actually a Sony employee dressed up as a Microsoft employee persuading people not to buy the Wii U and simultaneously making Microsoft look like assholes!

Well played Sony, well played!

DMKA
06-15-2013, 02:59 PM
To be fair I've been saying "RIP video games" for the past ten years and video games have yet to RIP
That's because you joined the mustard race.

maybee
06-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Meh.

XBone fanboys are going to be buying the console no matter what they do. They could have all the MS staff dress up in pink fairy costumes and XBone fanboys would still grab it like hotcakes on release day. :eep:

HasteInTime
06-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Meh.

XBone fanboys are going to be buying the console no matter what they do. They could have all the MS staff dress up in pink fairy costumes and XBone fanboys would still grab it like hotcakes on release day. :eep:

I would take offense to that but I won't. As we are Xbox-Fans, Fans of Xbox, Fans of Microsoft, or Microsoft-Fans. Both genders play on Xbox. Personally I'd go with none of the above, I am an avid gamer that plays many things on many platforms. I am a fan of Gaming. Which is why I Develop them as a Job. I love to play Video Games and make them.

No matter how you or anyone else might try to word something about Microsoft in a negative context, sure its funny. Although it wont convince myself that the console is all bad. I like to go by both example and experience as the teacher. Just about anything is worth a fair try once after all. If it sucks and I dont like the direction I'll tell all (100) of my friends where they can choose where to jump ship, in this case it would be The Wii U, 3DS, and/or PC. :]

Sephex
06-15-2013, 08:10 PM
This reminds me of the time where this dude I knew in college showed up at the Super Smash Bros. Brawl midnight launch at my local GameStop. I hadn't seen him for several years up to that point. I remembered that he was a huge Xbox faboy back when the original was the only one out. I saw him come in with a friend and I said hi to him.

Instead of saying ANYTHING in response, he immediately looks like he took a whiff of dog diarrhea and shakes his head. I knew that he was obviously showing his disapproval of midnight video game launch event, so I asked why he even bothered to show up. He said because his friend was picking up the game.

Anyway, the whole time he kept randomly loudly saying pro Xbox 360 things. Hell, I think he even tried to pick a fight with a kid. I didn't see this happen, but before I knew it I noticed he wasn't in the store for a long time. Apparently an employee asked him to leave. Funny thing about that is that he was fired from a different local GameStop years prior as seasonal help for not shutting up about the original Xbox and being way to pushy to customers who were there to buy anything that wasn't for Xbox.

My point to telling this story is to show that even if a "normal" person does actions like this, it rarely goes over well. In relation to Best Buy, I actually stopped going there altogether because they'll either have a Comcast or Direct TV employee bum rush you before you can even take 10 steps in the store and try to hassle you into signing some contract with them.

TL;DR: Microsoft was stupid to do this because the worst way to sell somebody something is to have another person harass you at an unrelated event or setting.

Evastio
06-15-2013, 11:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fWpJY1n.png

Wow, this brings user unfriendliness to a whole new different level, considering all the user unfriendly policies they've already put in place.

And then there's the countries Microsoft will and won't be supporting XBox Live in: (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer)
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/24/1371062916-xbox-one-supported-xbox-live-countries.jpg

Green is supported and grey is not supported. They got quite a lot of the major countries to my knowledge. It sucks that Asia is getting shafted, but then again, XBox sells really poorly in Asia.

There's a sad irony to this. (http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/the-guys-who-made-one-of-the-best-xbox-one-games-wont-be-able-to-play-it/?featured)

And I'm not just saying all this to bash on Microsoft for the fun of it. A lot of their policies are just so detrimental towards the gamers supporting Microsoft, and it's just really horrible.

Still, I have trouble believing this news story. Regardless of how awful the Xbox One will be, I imagine everybody who is at E3 is still queuing to give it a go anyway, irrespective of their big corporation loyalties. I also think their staff are probably extremely busy with marketing their own product and engaging in damage control rather than trying to sway the odd person or two from a competitor's queue.

Microsoft has had previous cases of attempting to convert Nintendo fans, so it's not too unbelievable. Back before the Wii U was being released, a Microsoft exec. said they'd be heavily advertising the 360 to Wii owners since the Wii didn't have many new releases. Not a smart move, when the Wii U was coming out very recently during the time.

It's not actually "The E3" at Los Angeles that the Microsoft employees are doing this at. Nintendo set game demo booths for their upcoming games at Best Buys across the US and Canada, and Microsoft employees are going to those trying to convince Nintendo fans to get an XBox One. Nintendo is the only one to have their E3 demos available in this way, so it's not like those people at the demo booths at Best Buy can try out the XBox One. So basically, they're getting Microsoft employees to go out of their way to try to "convert" the Nintendo fans into XBox fans in a rude and pushy way.

It's actually a Sony employee dressed up as a Microsoft employee persuading people not to buy the Wii U and simultaneously making Microsoft look like assholes!

Well played Sony, well played!

Yeaaaahhh... That likely won't work. If they had that much interest in the Wii U to put in that much effort into going to try out the Best Buy demo stations and waiting 30 minutes to 1 hour to try out one demo without leaving the line (Trust me, I went to the booth myself and it was literally that long, with only one or two people leaving the line from the long wait), I don't think mere words and convincing will get them to switch to XBox. Fans of any kind aren't that easy to convert.

Polnareff
06-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Evastio, I bow to you.

I don't get why MS needs to be defended so vehemently? They probably make the most money out of the three companies right now. Why on earth? I just don't get it.

This (the first post of the thread) isn't too unreasonable to believe either. Microsoft has been doing this for years, despite claims of MS employees being fired for doing it. They also paid a whole horde of MS employees to cheer for the Xbox One when it was first revealed. It's laughable. It's like they're trying to push their Orwellian policies onto everyone in the hopes that people will take it up the butt from them.

krissy
06-16-2013, 04:26 PM
yeah no microsoft is a great game company!

"just relax it'll all be over soon"

frig

Quindiana Jones
06-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Meh.

I would take offense to that but I won't. As we are Xbox-Fans, Fans of Xbox, Fans of Microsoft, or Microsoft-Fans. Both genders play on Xbox. Personally I'd go with none of the above, I am an avid gamer that plays many things on many platforms. I am a fan of Gaming. Which is why I Develop them as a Job. I love to play Video Games and make them.

No matter how you or anyone else might try to word something about Microsoft in a negative context, sure its funny. Although it wont convince myself that the console is all bad. I like to go by both example and experience as the teacher. Just about anything is worth a fair try once after all. If it sucks and I dont like the direction I'll tell all (100) of my friends where they can choose where to jump ship, in this case it would be The Wii U, 3DS, and/or PC. :]

I don't need to stab myself in the hand to know it's going to hurt, and I'm especially unlikely to try it if I have to pay £500 for the privilege, plus £60 a year to be able to use my own damn hands.

Evastio
06-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Evastio, I bow to you.

I don't get why MS needs to be defended so vehemently? They probably make the most money out of the three companies right now. Why on earth? I just don't get it.
Thanks, though I don't exactly know what I did to deserve being bowed to.

I'm just standing up against a lot of the things that Microsoft is doing because so many of their policies are detrimental towards the gamers and the gamers are losing a lot more money than they should be. Yeah, the game companies are profiting money-wise from it right now, but in the long run they'll heavily tarnish their name and image, and lose a lot of support from gamers that previously supported them. And then there's those policies that they practically had no good reason to do whatsoever, like rendering all bought games useless after being banned.

And for those who didn't believe that there were Microsoft employees doing what I posted, here's a video of it: (http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=205416)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKI5QzPYP9k

escobert
06-17-2013, 05:58 AM
This is why I'm glad I have a PC and don't deal with any of this next gen console crap.

Loony BoB
06-17-2013, 12:28 PM

RIP video games.
I disagree. I think the difference is already showing when so many 360 players are talking about not bothering with the Xbone. What was it on the IGN poll? Something like 83% going for Sony, and the next lot down was Nintendo? :p That kind of result hasn't been seen for some time on IGN to my knowledge. Most of my 360-playing friends have told me they will be looking to get a PS4 first, Xbone maybe second. I only know of one person who is actively stating how eager they are for the Xbone. I did know two, but one of them recently switched. So it's just HasteInTime now. :p

Skyblade
06-17-2013, 04:26 PM

RIP video games.
I disagree. I think the difference is already showing when so many 360 players are talking about not bothering with the Xbone. What was it on the IGN poll? Something like 83% going for Sony, and the next lot down was Nintendo? :p That kind of result hasn't been seen for some time on IGN to my knowledge. Most of my 360-playing friends have told me they will be looking to get a PS4 first, Xbone maybe second. I only know of one person who is actively stating how eager they are for the Xbone. I did know two, but one of them recently switched. So it's just HasteInTime now. :p

Yeah, I'm actually agreeing with BoB here.

It's more than just the hardcore fans who follow the media outlets. I have a number of casual gamer friends and such, and they're all aiming for the PS4 as the new system, even those who had an XBox 360.

For some, it's the price tag, of course (which, for casual gamers, is actually a pretty important piece of info). But for those who don't follow gaming media, they know people who do. Word of mouth, recommendations about systems, and negative points travel pretty quickly. And to someone who isn't invested in a system or its exclusives, a single big negative can make a huge difference.

Things like the always online connection, the eternally active cameras, the horrible public relations Microsoft has been displaying, or the simple fact that most gamers simply talk about the new XBox as though it were dead all have had pretty large impacts on my non-hardcore gamer friends, and that's before I started talking to them about the issue (and I'm not exactly helping Microsoft right now).

HasteInTime
06-17-2013, 06:52 PM

RIP video games.

Yeah, I'm actually agreeing with BoB here.

It's more than just the hardcore fans who follow the media outlets. I have a number of casual gamer friends and such, and they're all aiming for the PS4 as the new system, even those who had an XBox 360.

For some, it's the price tag, of course (which, for casual gamers, is actually a pretty important piece of info). But for those who don't follow gaming media, they know people who do. Word of mouth, recommendations about systems, and negative points travel pretty quickly. And to someone who isn't invested in a system or its exclusives, a single big negative can make a huge difference.

Things like the always online connection, the eternally active cameras, the horrible public relations Microsoft has been displaying, or the simple fact that most gamers simply talk about the new XBox as though it were dead all have had pretty large impacts on my non-hardcore gamer friends, and that's before I started talking to them about the issue (and I'm not exactly helping Microsoft right now).

I can see the point there. Although I must point out that the Kinect is not always on in terms of the Camera itself which is only on when the console is and the Dev can disable that for a game. While the X1 is off, the Kinect's mic is only on standby always listening for a phrase- that is "Xbox On!" that's it. It never records anything according to Microsoft themselves. To me it wont matter, for others I can see an issue with the requirements of online, that being a 24 hour check and the used games bit but honestly and personally:

I buy always new (doesn't always need to be on day one though but I can)

I have stable constant broadband that I pay for

I dont trade-in

I dont buy used games

I collect my video games

I dont sell my games (when I do it's to a Friend)

I always wanted Skype integration for communication and higher fidelity reasons (D&D, W40k, or Pathfinder anyone?)

I always liked the idea of gifting a purchase to a Friend
(With the X1 I can Imagine a freind gifting a gift purchase for a gift you gave)

I like the freinds I have met on Xbox (they are all getting the X1 & some a Wii U or PS4 with it)

I get all of my account stats moved over to the X1, including Avatar stuff.

Lastly, The controller I like.

I could really go on for the pros and cons I have but there is no need. There is something for everyone this coming Generation. That is something for celebration. :]

Jinx
06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Am I the only who doesn't see this ploy as that big of a deal? Lots of companies do it with lots of products.

Pumpkin
06-17-2013, 07:30 PM
I think people might be overall less impressed right now because of some of the stuff they've recently learned about the Xbox One?

Formalhaut
06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Xbox One price defended by Microsoft: "We're over-delivering value" - Gaming News - Digital Spy (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a490850/xbox-one-price-defended-by-microsoft-were-over-delivering-value.html)

"It's a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted," Mattrick explained.

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product these days you look at - $499 isn't a ridiculous price point.

"We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it.

"We're really making the living room your centre of fun for your family."

Discuss. It has to be said, Microsoft do love to play their own trumpet.

Denmark
06-17-2013, 09:16 PM
thousands of dollars of value? but i already have a TV

Croyles
06-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Xbox One price defended by Microsoft: "We're over-delivering value" - Gaming News - Digital Spy (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a490850/xbox-one-price-defended-by-microsoft-were-over-delivering-value.html)

"It's a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted," Mattrick explained.

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product these days you look at - $499 isn't a ridiculous price point.

"We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it.

It's the PS3 and "THE POWAAAHHH OF THE CELL" and "We have the best value because of Blu-ray" all over again. It's amazing how the roles have suddenly switched.

Not to mention what Mattrick said in an interview with Keighly. The fact that MS tried to get all those videos taken down was both hilarious and expected at the same time.

Xbox executive Don Mattrick speaks his mind on Xbox One bashing - E3 2013 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkEe_l7S3g)

Quindiana Jones
06-18-2013, 03:59 AM
"Please, honest, there are good points! Look at the all good points! No I'm not going to give any examples, but trust me, there are reasons to buy our console!"

Polnareff
06-18-2013, 11:33 AM

It's the PS3 and "THE POWAAAHHH OF THE CELL" and "We have the best value because of Blu-ray" all over again. It's amazing how the roles have suddenly switched.

Not to mention what Mattrick said in an interview with Keighly. The fact that MS tried to get all those videos taken down was both hilarious and expected at the same time.

Xbox executive Don Mattrick speaks his mind on Xbox One bashing - E3 2013 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkEe_l7S3g)

The funny thing is, the PS3 really WAS the best value at the time, because it combined a machine that could play PS1, 2, and 3 games, and DVD and Blu-ray. Blu-rays at the time were really expensive, going for over 1000 bucks alone.

360 was 400 bucks to just be able to play games and DVDs, while you still had to pay money to buy the HD-DVD add-on and to even play online on the system.

Microsoft's thoughts kinda make sense if you think about it. There's a ton of technology packed into the system.

Croyles
06-18-2013, 11:34 AM
The funny thing is, the PS3 really WAS the best value at the time, because it combined a machine that could play PS1, 2, and 3 games, and DVD and Blu-ray. Blu-rays at the time were really expensive, going for over 1000 bucks alone.

360 was 400 bucks to just be able to play games and DVDs, while you still had to pay money to buy the HD-DVD add-on and to even play online on the system.

Very true, but it was still too much for gamers to pay and it showed in the first 1-2 years.

Evastio
06-18-2013, 08:12 PM
It looks like even the government is against the XBox One. Or at least, the eternally active cameras that come with it. (http://www.warpzoned.com/2013/06/congressmen-propose-we-are-watching-you-act-an-anti-kinect-bill/)

I think what the government is doing is reasonable. I mean, privacy is a right that should never be invaded upon. Sure, the government wants cameras in places like buses and banks, but it's not like they'd go so far as to stick security cameras into every house.

...I feel quite bad doing nothing but saying anti-Microsoft things here on EoFF. That's all I seem to ever be posting about recently. Well, given that I've practically given up on this place due to how fed up I am with all the PC Gaming biasedness here on EoFF, it's probably better for me to not post here as much than to always start flame wars with PC fans.

Croyles
06-18-2013, 08:14 PM
It looks like even the government is against the XBox One. Or at least, the eternally active cameras that come with it. (http://www.warpzoned.com/2013/06/congressmen-propose-we-are-watching-you-act-an-anti-kinect-bill/)

I think what the government is doing is reasonable. I mean, privacy is a right that should never be invaded upon. Sure, the government wants cameras in places like buses and banks, but it's not like they'd go so far as to stick security cameras into every house.

...I feel quite bad doing nothing but saying anti-Microsoft things here on EoFF. That's all I seem to ever be posting about recently. Well, given that I've practically given up on this place due to how fed up I am with all the PC Gaming biasedness here on EoFF, it's probably better for me to not post here as much than to always start flame wars with PC fans.

The German government is thinking of banning the Xbox One for this reason:
German government says the Xbox One is a monitoring device :: TweakTown (http://www.tweaktown.com/news/30610/german-government-says-the-xbox-one-is-a-monitoring-device/index.html#Bhm1xzBCPxHGKJD0.99)

I think that Germany's (my country's) censorship policies regarding video games are absolutely ridiculous. We, like the US, have school shooting problems, but here more of that blame is put on video games than even the US. However, they like other countries in mainland Europe take privacy VERY seriously, and I think they have a point on this one, even if all this PRISM stuff turns out to be utter nonsense.

You shouldn't feel bad man, stick to what you believe. 'Balance' for the sake of it means that someone watching a news channel where there are 2 guests on, 1 arguing against eating bees and the other arguing you should definitely eat bees means that people will go somewhere in-between and think "I guess i'll just eat a few bees" for the sake of balance.

Skyblade
06-18-2013, 10:43 PM

To avoid the pro-PC issues, just stay out of the console threads. Make threads for games you want to discuss. There are tons of console and handheld games out there that I'm sure some people would like to discuss. Or post in the FF section of the forums, no PC talk there.

Admittedly, there are a lot of PC gamers here, but they do tend to keep the pro-PC discussion to threads where it is relevant, so just avoid that type of discussion and keep to threads on the fun discussion topics: Games.

Anyway, back on topic: I'm not exactly surprised. The whole "right to privacy" thing has really gotten to be quite big these days. Personally, I hate the idea of the always-on sensors and such anyway, so I don't really mind.

I can see the point there. Although I must point out that the Kinect is not always on in terms of the Camera itself which is only on when the console is and the Dev can disable that for a game. While the X1 is off, the Kinect's mic is only on standby always listening for a phrase- that is "Xbox On!" that's it. It never records anything according to Microsoft themselves. To me it wont matter, for others I can see an issue with the requirements of online, that being a 24 hour check and the used games bit but honestly and personally

This may be true, but you're talking technical details of something that is being marketed to a broad, casual audience. When you boil it down, people will hear and understand the "always on" microphone, and not realize (or, to a degree, care about) the qualifications on it.

Pike
06-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, given that I've practically given up on this place due to how fed up I am with all the PC Gaming biasedness here on EoFF

I find this incredibly amusing because of all the gaming forums I've been to this one is, by far, the most console gaming-oriented :tongue:

BUT I DON'T NEED THE LIVING ROOM TO BE THE CENTER OF FUN, I WANT MY PARENTS' BASEMENT, WHERE I LIVE, TO BE THE CENTER OF FUN

Croyles
06-19-2013, 11:33 AM
You know what over delivers on value?
Don Mattrick.
That guy is a gold mine for hilarious quotes!

Slothy
06-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Well, given that I've practically given up on this place due to how fed up I am with all the PC Gaming biasedness here on EoFF

I find this incredibly amusing because of all the gaming forums I've been to this one is, by far, the most console gaming-oriented :tongue:

Indeed. How many of us even play mostly PC games and talk about them a lot? I have trouble thinking of many more people than you, MILF and me. There are other heavy PC gamers around here, but I'm not sure they bring it up as often.

Loony BoB
06-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Navy publication blasts Xbox One - GameSpot.com (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/navy-publication-blasts-xbox-one-6410382?edition=desktop)

Lovin' the last line. Oh, that Mattick.

Croyles
06-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Navy publication blasts Xbox One - GameSpot.com (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/navy-publication-blasts-xbox-one-6410382?edition=desktop)

Lovin' the last line. Oh, that Mattick.

You mean this one?

:) This guy is comedy genius. He is even making the Xbox One sound worse than it actually is.

Pike
06-19-2013, 05:00 PM
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/c6373a65237bbac642fb9b360c865d65/tumblr_mokg3pQl9u1rvwq9ao1_500.png

Croyles
06-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Seems like Microsoft has backtracked. I am not 100% sure yet but it seems so.
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

If that is true, well done to all gamers who made a good stink about this, and well done to Sony for doing nothing (I.E. Not going with Microsoft). In this case doing nothing, changing nothing, meant everything.
If this was being pushed by publishers, it would have been so easy for them to follow suit.
Apparently gamers CAN make a difference, even to a horrible company like Microsoft.

Evastio
06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the whole "if you don't like the XBox One, buy the XBox 360" line is horrible. It's disrespectful, bad marketing, and so much more harm than good came out of that line.

Here's some good news for those hoping XBox One policies won't become an industry standard. Supposedly, Amazon preorders for the XBox One are doing really poorly, so that'll hopefully send them the message that very few people actually approve of their anti-consumer policies.

@ Pike: Well, that explains why google is the most used search engine and not bing.

To avoid the pro-PC issues, just stay out of the console threads. Make threads for games you want to discuss. There are tons of console and handheld games out there that I'm sure some people would like to discuss. Or post in the FF section of the forums, no PC talk there.

Admittedly, there are a lot of PC gamers here, but they do tend to keep the pro-PC discussion to threads where it is relevant, so just avoid that type of discussion and keep to threads on the fun discussion topics: Games.
Sticking to game discussion... yeah, it seems like a good way to repel the PC Fans. And even if they do post their PC praising in threads talking about specific games not for PC, they're more likely to get in trouble and get warned for it than if they were posting their PC praising in a console thread (though I still think posting PC praise in dedicated gaming console threads is spam and off topic). Thanks Skyblade.

Indeed. How many of us even play mostly PC games and talk about them a lot? I have trouble thinking of many more people than you, MILF and me. There are other heavy PC gamers around here, but I'm not sure they bring it up as often.

It's not so much PC game discussion being the issue. It's more of a lot of threads having off topic posts about "PC gaming being the best."

Yeah, EoFF has its share of gaming console discussion.

Then it has plenty of posts like this:

This is why I'm glad I have a PC and don't deal with any of this next gen console crap.

I'm sick of dealing with posts like these in practically every gaming console thread posted here on EoFF. It's all fine and dandy that you prefer PC gaming the best, but I'd rather not have to hear about it in every console thread and have traditional gaming consoles bashed on in those posts. This wasn't the EoFF I knew and loved back then.

There's quite a lot of situations (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/150355-drawbacks-pc-gaming.html) that people use to take the opportunity to praise and promote PC gaming (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/150355-drawbacks-pc-gaming.html). I guess that case isn't so bad since it was its own separate thread. Still, it gets annoying having to see it in the majority of General Gaming Threads.

Plenty of non-PC console threads on EoFF get derailed into "PC being the best gaming console ever." There's plenty of forums and communities where I never have to deal with such PC biasedness, such as Serenes Forest, GameFAQs, YouTube, and Miiverse.

Maybe this "PC Biasedness Discussion" should be moved to a separate topic.

Pike
06-19-2013, 10:21 PM

It does not need a separate topic since it will just turn into a flame war and for every "hurr durr good thing I'm a PC gamer" there is at least one "hurr durr good thing I'm a console gamer" comment on this forum - I'm not going to go linking them but I'm thinking of very specific examples from specific people that I will not name. It goes both ways.

And now, back to the topic at hand, please.

Pumpkin
06-19-2013, 10:24 PM
I just ignore it. I've never played PC games and as far as I'm concerned, if they think PS is the best ever then good for them. I disagree. It doesn't really bother me. I don't feel that they've been rude or pushy about it. I'm sorry it does bother you though. I know it sucks to go to a forum for fun and end up being upset by it :(.

Glad Microsoft is backtracking instead of being stubborn about this. They pretty much had to change it if they wanted to remain successful, I think.

Bolivar
06-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Yeah, the whole "if you don't like the XBox One, buy the XBox 360" line is horrible. It's disrespectful, bad marketing, and so much more harm than good came out of that line.

Here's some good news for those hoping XBox One policies won't become an industry standard. Supposedly, Amazon preorders for the XBox One are doing really poorly, so that'll hopefully send them the message that very few people actually approve of their anti-consumer policies.

@ Pike: Well, that explains why google is the most used search engine and not bing.

Sticking to game discussion... yeah, it seems like a good way to repel the PC Fans. And even if they do post their PC praising in threads talking about specific games not for PC, they're more likely to get in trouble and get warned for it than if they were posting their PC praising in a console thread (though I still think posting PC praise in dedicated gaming console threads is spam and off topic). Thanks Skyblade.

It's not so much PC game discussion being the issue. It's more of a lot of threads having off topic posts about "PC gaming being the best."

Yeah, EoFF has its share of gaming console discussion.

Then it has plenty of posts like this:

I'm sick of dealing with posts like these in practically every gaming console thread posted here on EoFF. It's all fine and dandy that you prefer PC gaming the best, but I'd rather not have to hear about it in every console thread and have traditional gaming consoles bashed on in those posts. This wasn't the EoFF I knew and loved back then.

There's quite a lot of situations (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/150355-drawbacks-pc-gaming.html) that people use to take the opportunity to praise and promote PC gaming (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/150355-drawbacks-pc-gaming.html). I guess that case isn't so bad since it was its own separate thread. Still, it gets annoying having to see it in the majority of General Gaming Threads.

Plenty of non-PC console threads on EoFF get derailed into "PC being the best gaming console ever." There's plenty of forums and communities where I never have to deal with such PC biasedness, such as Serenes Forest, GameFAQs, YouTube, and Miiverse.

Then don't you think it's your duty as an EoFFer to bring your perspective to the sub-forum? A platform-skew is one of the lamest things a community could have...

On the other multiplatform communities I go to, PC gamers typically stick to the subforum... here, where it's all together, I guess it's just inevitable that it comes out in General Gaming. We have had a good deal of orgy threads lately, but a lot of those comments were mostly jokes or posters relatively new to PC gaming who are still in the honeymoon period.

It's kind of a fad right now. It's funny to see journalists on Destructoid or Gametrailers praise PC as all they'd ever need, but when you check their Steam accounts they've only been members for 2-3 years 9 biiitchesss....

Quindiana Jones
06-20-2013, 04:17 AM
Put your tampons back in, lads. When discussing gaming, the PC functions just as the consoles do, so it's not exactly off-topic to talk about it.

Pike
06-21-2013, 01:27 PM
It's kind of a fad right now. It's funny to see journalists on Destructoid or Gametrailers praise PC as all they'd ever need, but when you check their Steam accounts they've only been members for 2-3 years 9 biiitchesss....

In fairness a lot of hardcore PC gamers avoided Steam for a long, long time because they didn't like it or had limited internet access/poor connections or so forth. I was one of those people myself.

Anyways as Quin said it's just a platform. I play a lot of games with my Xbox 360 controller. There is absolutely no difference between playing, say, Skyrim on my PC and playing it on my 360, the PC is just slightly more convenient for me. It's still the same game. :gator:

Now can we get back on topic? xD

Evastio
06-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Alright, since it's my fault the thread got derailed, I'll help get it back on track.

So how many of XBox One's policies do you think will be reversed/removed? They've already remedied the always online because of complaints of military personnel not being able to enjoy the XBox One in their down time. And since the always on Kinect was opposed by the government, they'll likely be doing something to remedy that as well.

Sadly, I don't see the "anti-used game" policies being removed, at least for the first 1 or 2 years. I mean, would that really make Microsoft that much extra money, making people pay to use a game on a different console than the one that the game was initially played on? Didn't they expect more people to ditch XBox than actually stand for policies as greedy as that?

Croyles
06-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Alright, since it's my fault the thread got derailed, I'll help get it back on track.

So how many of XBox One's policies do you think will be reversed/removed? They've already remedied the always online because of complaints of military personnel not being able to enjoy the XBox One in their down time. And since the always on Kinect was opposed by the government, they'll likely be doing something to remedy that as well.

Sadly, I don't see the "anti-used game" policies being removed, at least for the first 1 or 2 years. I mean, would that really make Microsoft that much extra money, making people pay to use a game on a different console than the one that the game was initially played on? Didn't they expect more people to ditch XBox than actually stand for policies as greedy as that?

They already HAVE removed all their policies. They removed them all at once. The only thing you have to do is sign in ONCE when you first use the console.

Use used games, sell your games, etc.