PDA

View Full Version : PS2: Longest Console Life Ever?

DMKA
06-15-2013, 04:20 AM
So FIFA 14 got announced at E3. Below is the list of platforms it's coming out on:

Android
iOS
Nintendo 3DS
PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
PlayStation Portable
PlayStation Vita
Wii
Microsoft Windows
Xbox 360
Xbox One

(Amusingly enough, Wii U is not on that list. :p)

So here we are, nearing the end of the PS3's generation, and the PS2 still has games being made for it.

Has there ever been another console that lasted this long? I find it pretty amazing, personally.

Skyblade
06-15-2013, 06:04 AM
The Sega Dreamcast

From 1998 (versus the PS2's 2000), to 2013 with the release of Sturmwind.

Polnareff
06-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Neo-Geo lasted pretty long. First game was in 1990, last game was in 2004. Last official game anyway. I think some unofficial stuff was still made for it after that.

HasteInTime
06-15-2013, 12:25 PM
The Sega Dreamcast

Agreed, the difference that is a game that are made by Independent Developer (there are more) for a no longer supported by Sega (DC) vs EA for the PS2 (Sony) platform that is about to no longer be supported this very month hardware wise.

That's pretty much it, as the DC will still keep drawing a small Developer crowd as long as someone does own them and wants new games experiences (as well as playing those older officially licensed titles). It's easier to develop for than many consoles today and DRM doesn't really exist on it, region lock maybe but that is up to a developer I think but not sure on that since its one of the least restrictive consoles ever.

I'm still researching and trying out Developing for the Dreamcast myself. It's one of the best consoles of all time and it's a shame Sega pulled the plug on it too early. Sonic games wouldn't have sucked as much, perhaps... but that is just my opinion. We even have some of the best games ever that generation to grace our TV's. I dont remember not liking any game on the DC itself and I have loved playing alot of those games. :cool:

Some of the best examples of games on the DC are:
"A-Z Order" (I joke :P its Z-A...)

Worms: World Party
Vigilante 8: Second Offense
Toy Commander
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Space Channel 5
Soul Caliber
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sky's of Arcadia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skies_of_Arcadia)
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 2
Quake III: Arena
Power Stone 2
Power Stone
Phantasy Star Online/Ver.2
Jet Grind Radio
Fur Fighters
Crazy Taxi 2
Crazy Taxi
Blue Stinger

Sky's of Arcadia:
Being the most powerful experience for me by far and there is a GC version known as Legacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skies_of_Arcadia#Skies_of_Arcadia_Legends) with some notable differences. I did love the exploration, combat and well the nifty VMU feature. Obviously there are other great games like that of Blue Stinger that I also love but for the sake of time I wrote what was at the top of my mind in Z-A order for fun.

Dreamcast Games (On 'n On...)
I loved every on of these games and there is a list on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dreamcast_games) as well that has all the licensed games and the independent unlicensed by Sega ones. Basically like saying official Sega vs unofficial Sega. However I feel that the DC has been a great platform for aspiring indie Devs and still has Developers making really good games. Even though most of the big guys have long since moved past making for it, unlike the PS2 will just stop suddenly someday the DC will keep on trucking games out after the big Devs have moved onto PS3/4 and other platforms. Unless someone finds a way to Dev for PS2 the DC wins easily this by far, especially combined with the fact it's easy to do on DC. No Dev kit required for DC but that does help (a little).

Extra:
As for the Wii U not being listed, its possible that since it's EA they have a grudge still with the Big N. However EA did say they have games being Developed for the Wii U. So we shall see what comes of EA vs Nintendo yet.

I could go on about how Sega did alot of what Microsoft w/Xbox, w/Game Cube, & Sony w/PS2 copied and adopted from things like SegaNet but I wont even though the DC had a optional Broadband Adapter here in the US and in Japan. They even had a Web Browser. The DC is the most innovative for its time and I loved the Controller w/Virtual-Memory-Unit, I just always wished it had a second joystick (like that of the xbox/360) but it is still fun to play it the way it is, as is despite all of my wishes for Sega and DC to return and upgrade. It is in my opinion; easily the best Sega Console ever built and my favorite.

EDIT:

Neo-Geo lasted pretty long. First game was in 1990, last game was in 2004. Last official game anyway. I think some unofficial stuff was still made for it after that.

Yeah did you know that there is a manufacturer that is making Neo Geo's still (http://analogueinteractive.myshopify.com/)?

There is room always for much loved systems, as long as someone thinks that they can make a buck as a company on it. The NES still has been getting unofficial hardware for it being made and occasionally some unofficially good games or mods.

tony12
06-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Although the NES ceased production in North America in 1995 it didn't stop production in Japan until 2003. So it had a 20 year lifespan in Japan from 1983-2003.

The PS2 still has about six or seven more years to go before it hits that mark.

DMKA
06-16-2013, 09:09 PM
I guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking commercial production, not homebrew/indie stuff. :p

Mirage
06-16-2013, 10:24 PM
The SNES (or super famicom, really) was in production for the japanese market until september 2003, and had new games released for it until 2000. So that's 19 years of production and 16 years of game releases.

Additionally, the most recent FFXI expansion pack is also released for the PS2 in Japan.

Bolivar
06-17-2013, 01:12 AM
I believe the old saying goes:

It ain't over 'til EA Sports says it's over!!!

HasteInTime
06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking commercial production, not homebrew/indie stuff. :p

Well yeah that would have helped and its impressive anyway we view this fine topic. :]

Pike
06-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Atari 2600 lasted 15 years: 1977 - 1992. New games were still being released for it right up until it was discontinued.

Croyles
06-20-2013, 02:07 AM
The Sega Dreamcast

I miss the Dreamcast! :cry:

Although I also loved my PS2.

Pike
06-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Speaking of this topic, I found an interesting list on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_last_games_released_on_video_game_consoles

It lists all of the last official and licensed games released on every console. A fascinating read!