PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Final Fantasy IX moments

Pumpkin
06-16-2013, 07:14 PM
http://media.ignimgs.com/media/ign/imgs/minisites/topN/rpgs/top-100-rpgs_final-fantasy-ix.jpg

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game. The characters and the story speak to me in a way no other game has. It is a game that I pop in a lot of the time when I'm sad, because it always picks me up. Characters like Vivi, Garnet, and Zidane show how you can go through a hard time and come out the other end stronger than before. It was fun writing this article, but it took me just as long to narrow the list down to five as it did to write it, because the game has so many great moments! I hope you enjoy.

5. The Death of Queen Brahne.

This was a big turning point in the story as Brahne ceased to be a major antagonist and it brought Kuja to the center stage. I found the tone of the game more urgent during and after this section. The party returns to the Lifa Tree to confront Kuja. While speaking with him, Kuja forshadows the death of the Queen, and tells Garnet that her mother had become power hungry. The Queen arrives with her fleet of ships.

"Bwahahaha! Kuja! So you finally decided to show your girly face here!"
"You're all that stands between me and total domination!"
"Gehehe! But I haven't forgotten all you've done for me! In return, I will show you the ultimate power!"

Kuja isn't threatened by this, as is demonstrated when he gives the Queen a clean target. This is a touching point in Garnet's development, because despite what the Brahne has done to her, she still wants to save her mother.

"Zidane, I... I have to save her!"

Zidane:

"Uhh, Dagger? She extracted eidolons from you and started a war!"

Dagger:

"I still don't want her to die!"

Zidane:

"But she didn't care one bit whether you lived or died!"
"You don't have to call her mother anymore!"

Dagger:

"She's my only mother!"
"I don't care if you don't understand!"

Brahne summons Bahamut to finish off Kuja but Kuja demonstrates his power by escaping the massive attack, bleeding only slightly from his forehead. He then uses the Invincible to control Bahamut with her own tactic used against her, the Queen and her fleet face destruction.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/TfymJQ3vSbM/mqdefault.jpg

"I haven't...felt this way...since I saw that play... with you...and your father."
"I led...Alexandria...down... the path...of ruin..."
"The people...will be...happier... with you...on the throne..."

Garnet is seen consoling her dying mother on the shores after the attack. The moment is particularly touching to me. The Queen did raise Garnet fom very young, and we only see the corrupt version of her at the start of the game. But she is still Garnet's adoptive mother, and Garnet still loves her, despite everything she's done. The Queen feels remorse for her actions and leaves Garnet with some positive words.

"We went back to Alexandria on Queen Brahne's escape pod."
"We also brought..."
"Dagger's mother with us..."

4. Vivi and Black Mage #288.

Zidane:
"Maybe... Just maybe, he'll find what he's looking for."
Dagger:
"...Find what?"
Zidane:
"A place to call home."

Vivi is my all time favorite character, and this is one of the most touching moments in the game for me. He finally meets others like himself. He learns that they've become sentient and they've been "stopping". Vivi finally finds beings like him and he is faced with something new. Wondering if one day, he's going to "stop".

"I was wondering how many people have...stopped...moving."
Black Mage No. 288:
"You're very kind to use our words."
"But you already know what it means to live...and to die."
"You're asking about our friends who have 'died,' not 'stopped.'"

Vivi then has to face a problem that a lot of people do at some point in their life, death. I think the script was written very well for this section. Mr. 288 is very honest about his feelings and Vivi handles everything extremely well considering everything he's been going through. A bond is quickly formed between the two, but it doesn't feel forced, or fake. It feels like two people in a similar predicament finding comfort and friendship with each other.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100619220530/finalfantasy/images/thumb/8/8b/Black_mage_village_cemetary.jpg/500px-Black_mage_village_cemetary.jpg

Black Mage No. 288:
"I haven't told anyone else about this. If I did, they'd feel the same way I do."

Vivi
"What do you feel?"

Black Mage No. 288:
"I don't know... Fear? I don't want to stop. And maybe I want to run away from it all."
"But living in this village with everyone fills me with joy."
"The joy of living with them far outweighs the fear of death."
"Isn't it the same for you? Traveling with your friends gives you life meaning."

A bond is quickly formed between the two, but it doesn't feel forced, or fake. It feels like two people in a similar predicament finding comfort and friendship with each other.

3. Zidane discovers his origins.

Number 3 on my list is after Zidane finds out the truth about him and Kuja from Garland. He is obviously quite distraught about the news and it's the first time in the game you see him let his sadness get the best of him. It's the first time he's anything but good to his friends.

Eiko:
"There he goes, being the tough guy... Look, Zidane... It's not just about you."
Vivi:
"Come on, Zidane.... Don't be like that. Let's-"
Zidane:
"Shut up! Just shut up, you stupid brat!"

He wanders on, visibly dealing with feelings of sadness and anger. He ends up in a fight against Amdusias alone. Unable to fight of the beast on his own, Freya and Amarant arrive to help him finish it off. He and his friends battle different monsters, together, showing him he has people to depend on, just as they depend on him.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/ffix/Pics/goodmanners.jpg

"You've always protected us."
"But you still don't understand that we looked out for you, too!"
"We watched your back while you watched ours."
"And we believed in you the same way you believed in us!"
"Just like you protected us..."
"We want to protect you."

This scene is touching for a few reasons. Zidane was always the positive one. The one who pressed on when others felt like giving up. He was always there for his friends and doing what he thought was right. It opened up his character to show him in his moment of weakness. It was touching to watch his friends give him the words of encouragement he needed to pick himself back up. He was always there for his friends and when he needed them most, they were there for him.

2. The attack on Alexandria.

This entire section of the game was very intense. It's the part where Alexandria castle becomes Alexander and fights against Bahamut. But the moments in particular that I felt the most moved by was with Steiner and Beatrix patrolling the streets and fighting the Mistodons.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/ffix/Pics/Image2286.jpg
In this scene you can really see their devotion to Alexandria and Garnet. You can feel the passion they have as you fight the Mistodon's and watch them grow closer together. It's one of the few times Beatrix is a playable character. You can also feel the relationship between the two maturing as they fight together.

Steiner:
"Beatrix... There is something I must tell you!"
Beatrix:
"What is it?"
Steiner:
"I..."
Beatrix:
"Save your valediction, Steiner. We'll live to see another day."

1. Vivi vs. Black Waltz #3
My favorite moment in the game actually takes place fairly early on. It's the scene after the defeat of Black Waltz #3. Vivi is on the bridge, staring at a hat of one of the Black Mage's that was destroyed by the Black Waltz. Garnet is trying to manoeuvre the cargo ship through south gate.

Before this point, Vivi had been very unsure and confident about his abilities. You see examples of this early on when Zidane asks for his help to rescue Garnet in evil forest.

Zidane:
“Well, Vivi, we’re getting ready to go look for the princess.”
Vivi:
“Really!? That’s great! Be careful, okay?”
Zidane:
“Actually, we want you to come with us, too.”
Vivi:
“Huh!?”
“B-But I can’t do anything.”
Steiner:
“Hardly, Master Vivi. Your magic was highly effective against that monster.”
“In all honesty, I hold your power in greater esteem than I do this scoundrel’s.”
Vivi:
“B-But…I’m scared. I couldn’t even move last time.”

He obviously doubts his own abilities. But in this scene, we finally takes a stand against the Black Waltz. It sets a good tone for the character. Vivi is timid and shy, but when he needs to, he will stand up and fight for those he cares for. That's one of the main reasons I admire his character so much.

http://i.neoseeker.com/n/4/ffix_vivi_29305825_thumb.jpg

These top 5 moments are a good representation of why I love this game so much. They helped shape the game and the characters for me. What were some of your favorite moments?

charliepanayi
06-16-2013, 07:23 PM
You've probably got down most of my favourite moments in that list already - definitely agree with most of those actually! I'd probably include something funny as well though since the game has so many great comedy moments - possibly Quina and Vivi getting married, or Baku getting Dr Tot's name wrong repeatedly.

Sephiroth
06-16-2013, 07:29 PM
My most favourite moment except Kuja leaving Burmecia (my most favourite moment) and fighting on Iifa or destroying Terra or the Final Battle is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1q2E_xqzfI

There is one perfect song for this:

Pokemon the first Movie: Brother My brother tribute - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dih4GRic-M&feature=related)

sharkythesharkdogg
06-16-2013, 08:58 PM
This list reminds me that it's probably time to dust off the game and go through it again. Lots of good memories.

Formalhaut
06-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Never actually played IX. :P

Good list though. I hope you do more of these!

Jinx
06-17-2013, 02:30 AM
I've got just one greatest moment from FFIX.

The entire game.

Aulayna
06-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Congratulations on your first promoted article Shion. :)

LocoColt04
06-17-2013, 08:06 AM

The entire game. This is an entirely reasonable opinion.

Pumpkin
06-17-2013, 03:09 PM

The entire game. This is an entirely reasonable opinion.

That's pretty much my opinion too, but that wouldn't have made for much of an article :P.

Freya
06-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Oooo that's a good complication. For serious sake, that seems pretty accurate. For funnies sake, yeah it needs a quina marrying vivi :3

Depression Moon
06-19-2013, 05:58 AM
I like the list as well, though I just love FFIX plain and simple. There are a few grammar mistakes in there, but overall a good read.

Quindiana Jones
06-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Compilation, you silly hermaphrodite. ;)

I agree with, Freya. Pretty much a perfect highlights reel, although I would like to see another one with the non-serious memorable scenes. Marriage, #tot, and the other funny or heart-warming moments.

Depression Moon
06-20-2013, 05:04 AM
^ I would've put the ass grab on there for sure.

Freya
06-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Oops i put the wrong word. Stupid autocorrect.

The ass grab would be one of those top funny moments :D

Pumpkin
06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
I will be making a funny moments list in a little while. You guys are right, there are just too many great funny moments not to :jess:

Jinx
06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
The Letter Scene better be on there too

Fynn
06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
What about Vivi's letter? And Fratley's appearance? :(

Pumpkin
06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
I know :(. It was so hard to pick just 5. I just played past the attack on Lindblum the day before yesterday and I was sad I didn't have space to include it :(.

ThornQueen
06-27-2013, 04:42 PM
I approve of all of these, but it's so hard for me to choose just 5. I mean, Blank's personification has to be up there because for me it cements (no pun intended) his personality and portrays the bond that Tantalus shares, despite only being around for such a short period of time.

supernaps
06-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Hard to pinpoint only 5, but one that definitely always stands out for me, is the South Gate scene.
I don't know if it is the music, the dialogue ( "Really? I don't like wars. Why would someone start a war..?" / I'm telling you, people who eat pickles are nice people." ) the excitement I always have when I am that early in the game when I replay it, it's probably a combination of all, but I just adore this scene.

Also, the one with the confusion with the love letter, lol, classic.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Garnet's mother on the beach.

Young as I was I didn't see how much of a victim she was in all that.

*daaaamn yoooouuu Kujo-o*

Quindiana Jones
07-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Yeah, Garnet and Steiner heading through South Gate is easily one of my favourite parts of the game too. The music definitely has something to do with it, but I think it's also the... tranquility of it all. I like it.

Ouch!
07-06-2013, 11:19 PM
As soon as I finish moving and get all my stuff back, it's absolutely time for a FFIX replay.

Goldenboko
07-12-2013, 06:14 PM
As soon as I finish moving and get all my stuff back, it's absolutely time for a FFIX replay.

Just downloaded FFIX for the PSP recently. It was a good choice :)

Loony BoB
07-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Finally finished this game so finally able to read this thread. A good set of choices, although mine are notably different.

1. Garnet running to Zidane. Now, I found the ending quite a bit... long. And I totally knew what was going to happen without having to think about it (and this part wasn't spoiled for me, thankfully). But the running bit just made the moment, and the punching of the chest just added to it. It felt real, and that's a rare thing in gaming these days. Touching. I'm not normally a guy for the mush and in this game I wasn't massively drawn in by their relationship, but in this particular case I was suckered in completely.

2. Odin vs. Cleyra. This hit harder than the Alexandria destruction for me because it was complete and utter destruction of an entire city and the city was gone. Not just rubble. It was GONE. Forever. And that hit hard. That really showed off the power of the Eidolons. I felt far sadder than I did against Lindblum or, later, Alexandria because of how it all went down. I'll skip the Lindblum/Alexandria stuff for being similar to this one.

3. Quina and Vivi get hitched. D'awwwwww. I so happy.

4. Zidane's origins. I'm so glad this part didn't get spoiled for me because for some reason it never occurred to me that he might be from another world, mostly due to there being other kinds of talking animals around. It just seemed normal, in a way. But seeing another like him the moment you get to 'the other side' was a surprise and I loved it. To be honest I didn't care much for the drone-ness of them or the purpose of Zidane or whatever, I just love that I didn't expect him to be an ALIEN.

5. Black Mage Village in general. Just gorgeously innocent. I love it. My favourite part is just before the end, when everyone is learning about each other. The 'stopping' talk fits in here, too.