PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Portmanteaus, like or dislike?

MJN SEIFER
06-17-2013, 10:58 PM
When I was younger (not that much younger) I thought it was just an anime thing, but I realize now that it can be used for anything, even real life apparrently. It's mostly for romantic shippings, but can be used for the other types of shipping I guess. What do you think of when people use a portmanteau as the name for a particular shipping? For those who don't know, a portmanteau is a word made out of a group of words (in this case two - they are the names of the two people involved, as one word.)

For the most part I like it, but I will admit that it sometimes doesn't really work, or sound that good. Sometimes the two names might be too similar to make another word, might make a word that's less than flattering, or simply doesn't sound good. I am not going to tell you either our names, and I don't know if this will ever come to anything anyway, but there's is a girl that I am attracted to in my life (current status: friendzoned) but if it did happen, I highly doubt we'd use a portmanteau, because I myself can't think of anything that would combine our names and make it sound good.

Agent Proto
06-17-2013, 11:18 PM
I like them, as long as they portmanteau of the shipped name looks good, or something. Well, I meant to say that I don't mind them. I don't like or dislike them, and if the name sounds good, that's good enough for me.

Some good names that come to mind... Brangelina. Makorra, Gendrya, and... I guess I'll stop there. No need to compile a huge list of names. :)

Jinx
06-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Denmark and I would be Sob. Or Ram.

Yeaaaaah. Ram. :smug:

Denmark
06-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Denmark's Boobs :|

I've never been into shipping fictional characters (or anything really). I dunno how I feel about portmanteauing relationship participants

Jinx
06-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Denmark's Boobs :|

I've never been into shipping fictional characters (or anything really). I dunno how I feel about portmanteauing relationship participants

Paris. Farker.

Denmark
06-18-2013, 12:36 AM
fair point. i guess i like it when the portmanteau works phonetically, apparently regardless of how clever it is

also they're not a couple so do they even qualify

Pheesh
06-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Locky and I have been using Philara for a while now.

Calliope
06-19-2013, 02:56 AM
Miridel
LoonyKitteN
Spuukalliope
Rinoacha
edczxcvbnex

I am crap at this