PDA

View Full Version : Summons as Mains and Vice Versa: Kewl or Spewl?

Mercen-X
06-18-2013, 01:46 AM
So I've proposed two ideas regarding the term "summon."

One is that an installment of Final Fantasy should include characters modeled after previous popular summons/espers/aeons/eidolons what-have-you.

*Eight summons as main characters I've proposed (complete with Job Classes):
Djinn Ifreet - Monk
Goddess Shiva - Black Mage (with focus on ice spells)
Deva Ramuh - Sage (with focus on bolt spells)
Titan Gaia - Warrior
Asgardian Odin - Dragoon
Great Alexander - White Wizard (with focus on holy spells)
Lord Gilgamesh - Ninja (compromising placeholder job class)
Demon Diabolos - Black Mage (with focus on gravity spells)

*Other summons:
Devil Asura - Monk
Golem Shememet - Monk
Dark Lord Hades - Black Wizard (with focus on debuffs)
King Pendragon - Warrior
Siren Shifka - Songstress
Minotaur Asterion - Warrior
Ark of Regenesis - Engineer
Yojimbo-sama - Samurai
Magus Sisters - Black Mages
Sorceress Ultima - White Wizard
Archfiend Rubicante - Black Wizard
Lapith Ixion (man bound to a wheel)
Shumi Moomba

*Note that I have selected summons that by mythology are known to be humanoid aside from Ark which is based entirely on the transforming ship from IX.

RETURN
The other idea I have is that previous main protagonists should be reinterpreted as summon creatures like they did with EXDEATH, Chaos, Palamecia, and Zeromus in XII. Velo Zero suggested they all be combined in a KotR-style multi-hit flourish.

Just some ideas for this reinterpretation (with creative placeholder names and titles):
Luxfrix the Warrior of Light, Fironel the First Rebel, Gralich the Onion Knight, Cecilus the Redeemer, Barotus the Wanderer, Taira the Hybrid, Kuroudo the Soldier, Skawll the Legacy, Zeidan the Living Shell, Sol, A Dream in Reality, Va An the Red Wing

Luxfrix, Cecilus, Taira, and Kuroudo are the ones I would most want to see, however, it's more likely that if Square does this at any point, they would set up a correlation to the previous villain summons which would be the Warrior of Light, Firion, Bartz, and Cecil. Two out of four ain't bad. I imagine there would be two versions of a Cecil summon: darkness and light.

If they made the summons controllable like in X and XII, I would imagine Cloud to utilize modified versions of his LIMITs obviously. I've always thought Omnislash versions 5 and 6 were incredibly lame and would hope instead that these would be used as more of a Meteorain. So, I guess that would be more of a Blade Rain or Sword Hurricane or Metal Tempest or whatever.

What is your opinion? Would you like to see either of these possibilities? What would you hope to see? Do you have ideas of what they would look like or a better idea for a name? What abilities would you hope they would have?

Skyblade
06-18-2013, 10:47 PM
It's an intriguing idea.

Not really sure what else to say about it beyond that. I'm curious about how the story and world would be built. Would these be the summons we're familiar with? Do they exist in their own world except when they're called to ours? Or is it just a copy/swap of heroes and summons in an otherwise standard FF setting?

I'd like to know more.

Mercen-X
06-22-2013, 03:20 AM
Personally, when I first conceived the ideas, they were separate. Maybe the game which features the summons as characters would not possess a summoning system. Or perhaps it would feature unique summons we haven't seen before.

Mercen-X
06-27-2013, 06:02 AM
Humanoid summon headshots by Yeomaria (http://yeomaria.deviantart.com/art/Summoners-Headshots-362344153)

I knew I couldn't be the first to think of this. :exdee:

Repainted to match Ifrit theme:
http://blade-fury.deviantart.com/art/FF-RotA-Ifrit-134847754