PDA

View Full Version : I don't agree to the Terms of Service...

Karifean
06-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Can you return your game for a full refund? Say you buy one of Blizzard's games in the stores, then actually bother to read the ToS and decide "no, I don't want that".

BTW if you're one of the 99.9% of people who never read Terms of Service, you may be interested in the WIP-Project tosdr.org (http://tosdr.org). It's a website that makes summaries of the Terms of Service of several online services.

Pike
06-18-2013, 08:33 PM
BTW if you're one of the 99.9% of people who never read Terms of Service, you may be interested in the WIP-Project tosdr.org (http://tosdr.org). It's a website that makes summaries of the Terms of Service of several online services.

I have had this as a Firefox extension for a while. It's handy for the few websites it does cover, sadly it doesn't cover very many.

Madame Adequate
06-18-2013, 09:03 PM
I think in theory you're supposed to be able to take it back if you don't agree to the ToS, but I have no idea how that would work in practice.

In the EU you are entitled to a refund on pretty much anything as long as you request it within two weeks of receipt. Even Gaben must bow to this.

Polnareff
06-18-2013, 10:17 PM
I wonder this as well, since some games and services have some crazy shit you have to agree to before you can play them/use them. :stare:

Skyblade
06-18-2013, 10:31 PM
You certainly can, although it's a very lengthy and annoying process. You often have to take it up with the company in question in addition to the retailer.

But it can certainly be done.

I do read them these days. It's amazing how quickly you can get through them once you've read a couple and understand the semi-legal-jargon they use.

Pike
06-18-2013, 10:45 PM
There are cases of Linux geeks buying a computer with Windows pre-installed and then refusing to accept the Windows TOS and getting a refund for the price of the Windows OS.

Skyblade
06-18-2013, 10:54 PM
There are cases of Linux geeks buying a computer with Windows pre-installed and then refusing to accept the Windows TOS and getting a refund for the price of the Windows OS.

Ah, Linux geeks.

I think Extra Credits said it best:

"Oh, and Sony, a word to the wise: DO NOT TANGLE WITH THE KIND OF PEOPLE WHO INSTALL LINUX ON THEIR PLAYSTATIONS. Trust me, you are wasting your time."

DMKA
06-18-2013, 11:17 PM
In theory, yes. At the very least the company who put the ToS in place should refund you if the retailer won't.

Bolivar
06-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Valve refunded BioShock Infinite to a Christian gamer who was uncomfortable with the baptism early in the game. (http://stevivor.com/2013/04/valve-refunds-christian-gamer-offended-by-bioshock-infinites-baptism-scene/)

Pike
06-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Valve are bros.

Jinx
06-19-2013, 12:23 AM
I like their point about why someone would choose to play a game they knew would be violent, and then gets upset about blasphemy, but I think it's cool they respected his position and feeling and refunded him his money.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm pleased Valve refunded him but uh... if things in videogames are that big a deal to him, doesn't a game about killing loads of dudes kind of consist of far greater blasphemy than his shootymans getting baptized?

Jinx
06-19-2013, 12:52 AM
I'm pleased Valve refunded him but uh... if things in videogames are that big a deal to him, doesn't a game about killing loads of dudes kind of consist of far greater blasphemy than his shootymans getting baptized?

Those were my thoughts, as well as the thoughts of the person who wrote the article! As someone who spent a looooot of time in a protestant church, games like these are definitely outright taboo. Not video games in general, just a game with so much violence.

Pike
06-19-2013, 12:59 AM
I didn't read most of the article because I want to keep myself from spoilers but it seemed like a valid enough complaint to me. :gator:

Jinx
06-19-2013, 01:00 AM
It was a very, very short article, hardly longer than a paragraph. From my understanding, it only spoiled the very beginning of the game. :)

DMKA
06-19-2013, 05:38 AM
I like their point about why someone would choose to play a game they knew would be violent, and then gets upset about blasphemy, but I think it's cool they respected his position and feeling and refunded him his money.
Yeah, I heard about that whole thing when the game was new and I couldn't stop laughing, "Haha seriously? Indiscriminately mowing people down with bullets like you do in every FPS, but you're offended by a fictional, virtual baptism?"

Sounds like a troll to me. Then again it wouldn't be the first time someone's contradicted themselves on similarly ridiculous and hypocritical grounds. :p

Depression Moon
06-19-2013, 05:47 AM
I didn't read most of the article because I want to keep myself from spoilers but it seemed like a valid enough complaint to me. :gator:

When did we get that smiley?

Aulayna
06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm still not 100% sold about that BioShock story. Valve have a notoriously strict refund (or no refund for that matter) policy. A game could flat-out not run on your computer and they still wouldn't refund you for it.

Pike
06-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm still not 100% sold about that BioShock story. Valve have a notoriously strict refund (or no refund for that matter) policy. A game could flat-out not run on your computer and they still wouldn't refund you for it.

I've seen several stories where they have done this.

When did we get that smiley?

'bout six months ago...

Aulayna
06-19-2013, 11:47 AM

I've seen several stories where they have done this.

The same is true of most companies - there's exceptions to every rule and most of the time you have to jump through a thousand hoops first and it often depends on the person who's serving you.

The thing that always amuses me is that when Valve says no to 99% of people that contact them it's a non-issue. Someone like (off the top of my head) EA will say no and it becomes front-page gaming news and an injustice against humanity.

Pike
06-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Well, I don't know about other people, but personally my high regard of Valve isn't about their policies. It's about the fact that based on everything I've ever read and every Valve employee I've ever talked to, it is THE single best place to work in the videogame industry. They treat their employees exceedingly well and for that alone they have my respect.

Agent Proto
06-19-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm sure you can return a game for a full refund, as long as you return the game with everything intact. You wouldn't want to return a game with a missing box or something that says "I've been used" all over it. And just be sure to do that within a certain time after the date of purchase. I don't think you really need to let them know you disagree with the TOS, it's not like they need to know why you are returning the game.

DMKA
06-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Well, I don't know about other people, but personally my high regard of Valve isn't about their policies. It's about the fact that based on everything I've ever read and every Valve employee I've ever talked to, it is THE single best place to work in the videogame industry. They treat their employees exceedingly well and for that alone they have my respect.

From an employee's perspective, Google is probably the best company in the world to work for.

Doesn't make me, as a consumer, hate them any less. Them, or Valve, for that matter. :p

Pike
06-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Well, I was talking about videogame companies.

I hate Google too, though. So high-five there.

Pumpkin
06-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Why the google hate :confused:

Pike
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
I dunno about DMKA but for me it's a combination of a.) I don't think they do a good job with user privacy, and b.) I hate how they're trying to to tie everything together into one system. I feel like they're turning into the new Microsoft.

I'm way off topic though xD

Pumpkin
06-19-2013, 05:27 PM
I apparently don't pay enough attention to stuff, because I didn't know any of that.

I use google to look up stuffs on the Internetz and it does an okay job of that, so I don't hate them.

DMKA
06-19-2013, 05:30 PM
I hate Google too, though. So high-five there.
:love:

nik0tine
06-19-2013, 06:21 PM
A game could flat-out not run on your computer and they still wouldn't refund you for it.That's because it's always the fault of the user when he buys a game and doesn't read the system requirements.