PDA

View Full Version : 2013-14 English Football Season

Pages : [1] 2 3

charliepanayi
06-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Fixture list is out so maybe time for a new thread:

BBC Sport - Football - Premier League Fixtures (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fixtures)

Psychotic
06-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Liverpool not even an option anymore :whimper:

Also I will not allow the word soccer in the thread title! We must never bow to those dirty yanks :colbert: Rob Green has a lot to answer for.

charliepanayi
06-19-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't mind the term soccer really - I always just thought 'English football' didn't sound quite right - perhaps General Football Thread?

Mahad
06-19-2013, 08:04 PM
LIVERPOOL!!!
All the disbelievers will be quieted.

Otherwise I think it's on the same old same old.

Brazil vs Mexico in Confederations Cup right now.

Psychotic
06-19-2013, 08:24 PM
LIVERPOOL!!!
All the disbelievers will be quieted. Well of course, it's Our Year.

charliepanayi
06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Spain v Tahiti tonight - apparently you can get 66/1 on Spain to beat Australia's 31-0 record win over American Samoa.

Cuchulainn
06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO MAKE NEW PREMIER LEAGUE THREADS TILL JULY 1ST! GODDMNIT

Mahad
06-20-2013, 06:23 PM
The Japan vs Italy game was fun! Lots of goals and excitement. Japan did a pretty good job, except they failed badly at keeping their 2 - 0 advantage.

I think Spain won't be doing as much as 15 goals. Sure, they'll go in and at least do as much as Nigeria did on their game, I don't think they want to set a record though.

Loony BoB
06-21-2013, 04:50 PM
YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO MAKE NEW PREMIER LEAGUE THREADS TILL JULY 1ST! GODDMNIT
Pretty sure it's always been done when the new fixtures are out!

Looking forward to seeing how Moyes shapes his team. Really interesting time to be a United fan! Kinda excited, I gotta say. Hoping we get a class midfielder in and perhaps a winger, but not really sure if we need much else.

Not bothered about the title of the thread so long as it says 'football'. English Football, European Football, Everywhere But America Football ... actually, why not World Football? >=P Or just, you know, Association Football, if you gotta.

Cuchulainn
06-21-2013, 06:40 PM
bur 1st July is when the new season officially starts. you're fucking with my mentals

Rocket Edge
06-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Will we bother with Fantasy Football when the time comes? Who's in?

Oh and fingers crossed United land Thiago. Higuain going to Arsenal would be very interesting if the deal goes through. Always thought he was a top player.

Psychotic
06-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Indeed. With managerial upheaval at all of the Big 3, if Arsenal splash the cash they could take advantage of the other teams adjusting to their new systems.

Also, blimey, Liverpool going buck wild in the transfer market. Toure, Aspas and Alberto all coming in, Mignolet also apparently on the brink, and rumoured to be trying to get Henrikh Mkhitaryan, a signing I am very excited about. Not because of who he is as a player, I mean, apparently he's good but then all new signings are good, aren't they? :roll2 No, I am excited because that is one hell of a smurfing name.

I confidently predict 70% of all new signings LFC make will be utter paff.

Loony BoB
06-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Oh and fingers crossed United land Thiago. Higuain going to Arsenal would be very interesting if the deal goes through. Always thought he was a top player.
Not one for the long term, though, as if he does well then Barcelona will simply snap him back up and we'll be back to square one again. If he's crap, well, he's crap. =\ I think he'd be great for us for maybe a few years before an inevitable return to Barca, personally.

Psychotic
06-24-2013, 01:54 PM
You think there's shades of Pique/Fabregas? Or indeed Pepe Reina for that matter...

Loony BoB
06-24-2013, 02:15 PM
I think any player that grows up in Barcelona and struggles to make the first team and eventually moves elsewhere would still rather play first team for Barcelona, and when Barcelona come knocking then they will go back. Simple as that, really.

Rocket Edge
06-24-2013, 05:19 PM
He wants to go to United, that's the encouraging thing. Just today his father that (apparently hes best friends with De Gea), and Barcelona are prepared to let him go but they want a buy-back clause which United are supposedly contesting.

charliepanayi
06-24-2013, 09:29 PM
https://twitter.com/TahitiFootball/status/349132608287948801

supernaps
06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
It pains me to see Arsenal in the "other team" list, but I suppose it's only fair since it's been freaking 8 years since we last won something.

If we get reinforced with Higuain (this saga is getting tiresome), Fellaini and a CB, I can see us as title contenders again, and we could possibly challenge for more on the CL front. I don't want to see us losing any of our players, that would send yet another negative message.

charliepanayi
06-25-2013, 08:11 PM
We have lots of players we could do with losing - we haven't got a 'star' to lose at this point anyway.

supernaps
06-25-2013, 09:14 PM
We have lots of players we could do with losing - we haven't got a 'star' to lose at this point anyway.

I'm talking about the absolute regulars, such as Koscielny (who has been linked with a move already) Jack, Mikel, Theo etc. (and yeah, I realize most of them have signed new contracts, but well, that hasn't stopped anyone before)

I could do without Gervihno, Santos and even Podolski (if they do bring up Higuain or Yovetic) but I never counted them as indispensable, anyway.

I certainly wouldn't like to see Vermaelen departing, yes, he had a crappy season but he's a good player, though I could see him leaving to find his form again, given that he will struggle to get into the XI with Mertesacker and Kos co-operating so well.

Psychotic
06-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Reckon you need a new keeper too. The only people I know who rate Sir Chesney are Arsenal fans. He has the odd phenomenal game but very lacking in consistency - not exactly Jens Lehman or Safe Hands David Seaman. Sagna isn't as good as he once was either. Again, I know some Arsenal fans who reckon he is the best RB in the league but I wouldn't even have him in the top 5.

supernaps
06-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Reckon you need a new keeper too. The only people I know who rate Sir Chesney are Arsenal fans. He has the odd phenomenal game but very lacking in consistency - not exactly Jens Lehman or Safe Hands David Seaman.

Oh, I think he is overrated as well; yes, he may love the club but he's inconsistent as it goes, his deliveries are terrible (70% of them, end up on the opposite team players) and he seems to be quite complacent.
Fabianski seems to have recovered a bit, but not a very reliable choice, either. Still waiting for Asmir Begovic tbh, seeing that Mignolet got away.

Seaman has always been my favorite Arsenal player, (rivaled possibly only by Adams, Parlour and Henry) such a calming presence and an amazing work rate. I am really tired of seeing goalkeepers yelling at their defense everytime they have to block a shot.

charliepanayi
06-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Sagna has gone downhill of late, which is a shame. I like Szczesny and would prioritise a striker/defender over a new keeper, though it probably helps that great keepers aren't in abundance in the Premier League at the moment.

Psychotic
06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Andrea Pirlo. What a fucking ice cold badass. I wish both him and Zlatan had come to the Premier League a long time ago.

supernaps
06-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Andrea Pirlo. What a smurfing ice cold badass. I wish both him and Zlatan had come to the Premier League a long time ago.

Funny you mention that, because Arsenal had a chance once upon a time to snatch a young Zlatan.

Mahad
07-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Good games today. Italy vs Uruguay, well played, both teams tried and didn't disappoint imo, but it was obvious they were tired. Sucks that Italy had so many players down, they could have won it, may be even made the finals. Great goals from Cavani and Diamanti (is that the guy who made Italy's second goal?).

The final, wow, never saw it coming. Spain down 1 - 0 less than 2 minutes into the game, you don't see that often, and then Neymar's goal on the last few minutes. . . .well it was a pretty good game from the Brazilians, they were out to cut off Spain wherever and however, and they did.

Old Manus
07-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Michu and Bony up front. We are going to piss this league.

Mahad
07-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Tottenham is getting Paulinho, and apparently Bayern is interested in David Luiz.

Psychotic
07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Michu and Bony up front. We are going to piss this league.HANDS OFF OUR JONJO :colbert:

Old Manus
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I was under the impression that all Liverpool fans thought he was trout anyway...this may or may not have included myself, before I gave it a bit of thought today and came to the conclusion that he may fit well into our team. Or he may flop. I'm about 60-40 in favour of the former at the moment.

You've still got the Welsh Xavi

Psychotic
07-03-2013, 10:03 AM
£5m for Jonjo and £15m for Allen is absolute robbery, I tell you what. He reminds me of a young Steven Gerrard and I am disappointed in his sale. While I don't think he's going to be as good as Gerrard, he I reckon he'll be a better player than the likes of say Kevin Nolan or Leon Osman. Make of that what you will.

charliepanayi
07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Suarez to Arsenal rumours have to be the funniest ones yet.

Psychotic
07-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Suarez to Arsenal rumours have to be the funniest ones yet.And then Arsenal bid £30m. What the smurf is going on xD Arsenal's transfer record is £13m for Wiltord all the way back in 2000. The world has gone insane. I love it. He's, for me, the best player in the Prem, but if he doesn't want to be here then I don't want him here either. £30m? DEAL. Bite Arsenal's bloody hand off for it. Have fun with that one! And £30m can get some high quality Andy Carroll calibre signings in! Maybe West Ham will let us buy him back for £25m. :excited:

Aulayna
07-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Man Utd are getting relegated.

Calling it here and now.

charliepanayi
07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I imagine bidding £30 million for Suarez is just our way of telling Real to hurry up and give us Higuain.

Mahad
07-13-2013, 02:10 AM
Tevez in Juve, I think that's a win-win there. Champions league for Tevez, solid team, and I think he'll perform well in the local league. Juve gets a great player, just may be what they need up front. I thought Juve was going to do much better last season, but Bayern just walked over them.

DK
07-14-2013, 12:39 PM
best transfer rumour for me so far hands down Zlatan to City. Someone please make this happen, Zlatan's season at City would be the most comical thing in the history of football and we're sorely lacking in mental strikers after Super Mario and Tevez departed.

Pauw make this happen now if it doesn't it will be your fault :colbert:

Loony BoB
07-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Would be a proper coup too, that guy is a world class player that could swing the title your way.

Crop
07-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Honestly, I didn't think there was any way I could like Luis Suarez, especially after the whole biting thing,
but this goes a long way to changing my mind -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68jqGwPfo8Q

I always like those who don't mind poking fun of themselves a little, especially footballers.

All he needed to do at the end was take a bite out of the cake, he would then have become my favourite football player ever.

Psychotic
07-21-2013, 10:24 AM
I would let Liverpool be relegated if it meant we could have Zlatan for a season. I am in love with the man.

Old Manus
07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
I never liked the guy. I never really rated his footballing ability (as much as others) either. When he's not on form he needs to be carried. At least Suarez, despite being a scumbag, can be found tracking back from time to time.

charliepanayi
07-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I demand a £40,000,002 bid for Suarez!

Loony BoB
07-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Prediction: The following players will be at the following clubs at the end of the transfer window.

Fabregas: Barcelona
Ronaldo: Real Madrid
Rooney: Manchester United
Bale: Tottenham
Suarez: Liverpool
Mata: Chelsea

EDIT: Ahahahaha BBC Sport - SPFL: New Scottish league brands unveiled (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23435136)

Psychotic
07-24-2013, 05:50 PM
I demand a £40,000,002 bid for Suarez!I demand we bite your fucking hand off for him. And any Serbian defenders you may have lying around too.

Rocket Edge
07-25-2013, 06:22 PM
I'd say Rodgers is just scared to give him to another 4th place rival. Other than that I'd say he'd be gone without much of a fuss.

As for Fabregas - I'd love to see him come but I can't realistically see it happening. What clubs do you expect to do well this year lads/lassies? I think Norwich, Southampton, West Ham, and Sunderland will have good seasons. I think Stoke could struggle.

It's difficult to predict a winner with everything so up in the air.

Psychotic
07-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I think they're going with "If Cavani is worth £55m, then..." approach. Which is fair enough, Suarez > Cavani imho. I don't give a fuck about the numbers, just get rid. If you don't want to be at LFC I don't want you to be there either.

I think Sunderland will have a fucking awful season personally.

charliepanayi
07-25-2013, 08:45 PM
I think Norwich could be in trouble this year, they would have been last season if not for how awful QPR and Reading were. Hopefully Stoke will struggle.

Rocket Edge
07-26-2013, 12:09 AM
I will agree Paul that Suarez is a fantastic player, even better than Cavani, but comparing Arsenal (even other mega rich PL clubs) doesn't compare to the 'who gives a fuck' attitude towards spending towards the likes of Monaco or PSG, so 40m PLUS 1 POUND GAH is a huge sum that shouldn't be compared to them.

I agree though. It's exactly how I feel about Rooney tbh.

The Captain
07-29-2013, 01:34 AM
I officially nominate Phillippe Coutinho as my candidate for young player of the year this season. Kid is immensely talented. Let's build around him, by cashing in on Suarez. I think another bid in the mid 40's would do it.

Then take Eriksen and Alderweireld from Ajax, Jackson Martinez from Porto, maybe a loan move for Shaqiri and let's go to war.

Should be a very interesting season to say the least.

I'm very curious to see if Man Utd's extended success was truly a Ferguson creation, especially if they let Rooney go. Chelsea and Man city should be loaded, Spurs if they hold on to Bale will be right there and Arsenal are Arsenal, always looking on the edge of dropping off but always there in the end.

Should be an interesting few weeks and I'm down for fantasy football (European).

Take care all.

Old Manus
07-29-2013, 07:37 AM
I'd say Rodgers is just scared to give him to another 4th place rival.

Psychotic
07-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Then take Eriksen and Alderweireld from Ajax, Jackson Martinez from Porto, maybe a loan move for Shaqiri and let's go to war.
Let's sign Ryan Shawcross and Danny Graham instead.

Old Manus
08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Is fantasy football happening?

Psychotic
08-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Why bother? Just declare Donal the winner right now!

Crystal Palace are going to get relegated as smurf. Hull also I suspect. City and Chelsea will have storming starts to the season. United will start utterly woefully and David Moyes will be under a lot of pressure - 6th in January. From January onwards they will not lose a single game and end up losing the title to City or Chelsea on the last day on goal difference.

Liverpool FC to be surprise dark horses and everyone at the club will start talking about CL qualification and challenging for the title before the inevitable return to type and managing to scrape a Europa place ahead of surprise packages Norwich City.

CARDIFF TO FINISH AHEAD OF SWANSEA whattup :smug:

The Captain
08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Gotta say, the whole transfer cycle makes me sick to my stomach. Between the insane amounts of money and the fact that signed contracts mean nothing, what's the point in getting invested in any actual players anymore? If you root for any team that isn't overflowing with cash, assume your best players will be gone or will be unsettled by offers to go and it really takes the fun out of the sport.

Frankly, I don't, as an American, understand this process. In what other sport or walk of life can you sign a contract, then decide, eh, I don't want to honor it, send me somewhere better please AND IT HAPPENS! The Tevez being benched thing at Man City was the closest thing I can think of to how that situation should actually be resolved.

That's why you root for the name on the front not the names on the back.

Take care all.

Psychotic
08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Suarez a month ago: Wah wah English press mean to me.

Today, Suarez exclusively talks to two English newspapers: Yes I would like to play in England for many years!

:colbert:

Why do I allow myself to fall in love so easily? :(

charliepanayi
08-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Gotta say, the whole transfer cycle makes me sick to my stomach. Between the insane amounts of money and the fact that signed contracts mean nothing, what's the point in getting invested in any actual players anymore? If you root for any team that isn't overflowing with cash, assume your best players will be gone or will be unsettled by offers to go and it really takes the fun out of the sport.

Frankly, I don't, as an American, understand this process. In what other sport or walk of life can you sign a contract, then decide, eh, I don't want to honor it, send me somewhere better please AND IT HAPPENS! The Tevez being benched thing at Man City was the closest thing I can think of to how that situation should actually be resolved.

That's why you root for the name on the front not the names on the back.

Take care all.

Yeah but then we in the UK don't understand how a sports team can up and move cities on an owner's whim. So, swings and roundabouts. Clubs get rid of wantaway players because it's the easiest solution all round.

Crop
08-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah, is someone setting up a fantasy football league?

I've never done it before, so I'd like to join in this time round. I hear that a lot of you guys drop out during the season, but I can't see myself doing that.

So if anyone is up for it...?

Psychotic
08-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Yeah but then we in the UK don't understand how a sports team can up and move cities on an owner's whim. So, swings and roundabouts. Clubs get rid of wantaway players because it's the easiest solution all round.Been to Milton Keynes lately...?

charliepanayi
08-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Yeah, it's notable for being a complete one-off though (you'd have to go back to er...Arsenal doing it when they moved to Islington from Woolwich for something similar), and MK Dons still get a lot of stick.

Psychotic
08-07-2013, 09:18 PM
One-off? Well, the city of Coventry will be glad to hear that.

charliepanayi
08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Fine, clearly you're making an early start this season with your need to belittle every post I make.

Psychotic
08-07-2013, 09:33 PM
You know what you did :colbert:

Old Manus
08-07-2013, 10:32 PM
That's why you root for the name on the front not the names on the back.I love 金道环球投资!

Mahad
08-08-2013, 05:29 AM
Well Mou, that was just a quick peek at what Real will probably be doing but in better fashion all season long when the ball gets rolling. Now I'm really interested to see how this Real will play.

(making a reference to the Chelsea/RMadrid game today).

Old Manus
08-08-2013, 09:16 AM
So is old Luis still the saint and saviour of all things Mersey?

Psychotic
08-08-2013, 10:01 AM
So is old Luis still the saint and saviour of all things Mersey?No, we've moved onto Coutinho who of course, will never ever leave us because he truly loves the club and fans and the colour red.

The Captain
08-14-2013, 08:49 PM
I still miss Xabi Alonso and Sami Hyypia.

I am definitely down for a fantasy league.

Take care all.

Heath
08-15-2013, 10:59 PM
I can't guarantee I'll moan about Everton all season (actually, I can guarantee that, just not that I'll do it online) but I'm well up for Fantasy Football. I've already got a team for the work league.

Psychotic
08-16-2013, 10:14 PM
I have my own team too. I forgot the log in for my old account that's in the EoFF league though.

Loony BoB
08-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Good start for Moyes. Of course, the true test will be the next four weeks... (well, the next season, really, but still).

Psychotic
08-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Very original signings he's trying to make. Fellaini and Baines? Now where did he get the idea to sign those...?

(It is a lovely coincidence that Everton's best two players play in the two positions that, imho, United are weakest!)

Old Manus
08-19-2013, 12:32 PM
obligatory 'i'm not charliepanayi' acknowledgement of loss post

I think we played well on Saturday, the only downsides being our absolutely shocking defending. The first two were easily defendable, but RVP's second goal was just a screamer which you can't accommodate for, and that was the difference really. Early signs positive, we were more than a match for United (and even occasionally on top of them) for 75% of that game.

Psychotic
08-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Made a fantasy league as Donal is in outer space.

Fantasy Premier League - The official fantasy football game of the Barclays Premier League (http://fantasy.premierleague.com/)

League code:

2175307-528231

Oh and scoring starts as of Gameweek 2 so don't worry if you missed out and have yet to pick a team.

Formalhaut
08-19-2013, 07:37 PM

Fantasy Premier League - The official fantasy football game of the Barclays Premier League (http://fantasy.premierleague.com/)

League code:

2175307-528231

Oh and scoring starts as of Gameweek 2 so don't worry if you missed out and have yet to pick a team.

Ah, I've never played a Fantasy League. I've signed up, now I've got to create a team. Oh christ.

UPDATE: Signed on your league now Psy, I just chose 'Auto-Complete' and made the odd change. That is the extent to my ability at this. I imagine I'll be very, very awful.

More people should sign up!

DK
08-19-2013, 08:24 PM
xD I made my team and everything before I joined the league and...well. It appears even though I gave the team name a good 10 minute consideration, me and pauw have come to the party wearing the same dress. oops. :shobon: also the effoff league is actually still up anyway by the way.

Psychotic
08-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Even though there are continents between us, Chuckle Nation Double Act rages on. At least it makes the league name accurate.

Old Manus
08-21-2013, 01:39 PM
I was under the impression that the fantasy league just carried on from the previous season. I'm still in an EoFF one and I haven't physically joined anything.

Loony BoB
08-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Remind me again how Real Madrid are sustainable? £94m, on top of about £60m+ spent on other players... I mean, do they really get over £150m profit? Ditto Chelsea & City. I just don't think UEFA will ever have the balls to make an example of any of them. I know PL clubs have a notable amount more cash this season onwards, but it seems teams are either blowing it all and then a lot more or else saving every penny.

Still, even with Bale likely sold, Spurs have definitely used the cash arguably better than any other club at the moment. Any other contenders for best use of cash?

Psychotic
08-22-2013, 05:18 PM
How do Real Madrid afford it? Because they're bankrolled by the Spanish government and have an absolutely ridiculous TV deal (http://www.football365.com/f365-features/8880075/New-TV-Deal-Creates-New-Ambition) (good article!) that's how.

Loony BoB
08-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I know about the TV deal, but... surely with the amount they spend on wages and transfers, it still exceeds that? The government can only bankroll them so far, surely (I mean, look at the economic issues going on there)... and how does that fit in with FFP?

UEFA needs to enforce 'fairer' leagues.

Formalhaut
08-23-2013, 04:14 PM
How do Real Madrid afford it? Because they're bankrolled by the Spanish government and have an absolutely ridiculous TV deal (http://www.football365.com/f365-features/8880075/New-TV-Deal-Creates-New-Ambition) (good article!) that's how.

Probably why Spain is in such economic crap right now.

Crop
08-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I joined the league that Paul created, but if there's a more widely used EoFF one, can someone post the code for that instead?

Rocket Edge
08-26-2013, 01:17 PM

League code:

2175307-528231

Hahaha. Well I just joined so yeah. Another nine months of kicking it with your old boy Donal.

DK
08-26-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm blaming old manus for this. I don't know why it is his fault, but it is :colbert:

Psychotic
08-27-2013, 08:08 AM
I like how there was this huge hypeburger for the United - Chelsea match and then it turned out to be a shitfest. The media blared HERE WE GO it's MOYES vs MOURINHO... uh, yeah, exactly.

Loony BoB
08-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Aye, I predicted a draw before the match and we got a draw. Could have easiliy been very different if Welbeck didn't forget how to shoot between last week and this week, though - two or three good chances (one in particular was a great chance) that he fluffed.

Psychotic
08-27-2013, 11:45 AM
So Daniel, are you ready for the biannual LIVERPOOL REDS vs MANCHESTER REDS (accompanied by Old Manus) abuse thread?

I can't use my Suarez booing picture and get your usual response which saddens me. I don't know, who else do you hate who plays for Liverpool? Does anyone here even know who any of our other players are anymore? We've got a bloke called Simon who plays in goal now if it helps.

Loony BoB
08-27-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't hate Gerrard but he doesn't seem to be as good as he once was despite everyone still rating him so highly. Uhm. Who else is there? I dunno. Reina's cool. Sturridge is alright. Dunno, really.

Cuchulainn
08-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I think it's ok to hate Brenda.

Psychotic
08-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Reina's left and gone to join Rafa at Napoli mate, so... :shobon: As for Stevie G, if you asked me what it is he actually does on a pitch my suggestion would be to shake hands with the opposition captain and develop more and more lines on his forehead. He did get a good goals and assists tally last season though and he's basically our version of Ryan Giggs.

Also I don't know about Rodgers. Hate? Is he really worthy of it? Isn't it more just a shake of the head and think "what a self-important tit" than outright Suarez-style hatred?

Old Manus
08-28-2013, 12:10 PM
So Daniel, are you ready for the biannual LIVERPOOL REDS vs MANCHESTER REDS (accompanied by Old Manus) Delicious siege mentality

Psychotic
08-28-2013, 01:20 PM
yeah well you think you're so special just because you beat man city this weekend :colbert:

bugger off back to playing the new saints where you belong

Old Manus
08-30-2013, 12:09 AM
that cut me deep, bro. Neath FC winding up was a hard point in my life.

Psychotic
08-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Prestatyn Town for life. North Wales > South.

The Captain
09-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Liverpool are mastering the art of the old "Chelsea 1-0 park the bus" wins.

I'm glad we got our act together and brought in more players before the window closes, unlike last season and really, I'm excited to see where this team goes from here. I love the spirit and commitment I'm seeing from everyone defensively, particularly Henderson who looks a player reborn this season. What I really love is that these are the results that win you titles and Top 4 berths, games where you grind out victory. Last year we would play really beautiful attacking football and still lose or draw. So far we've done just enough to win each match and that is what matters most.

Man Utd looked a step slow in the first half and I am very confused by some of their tactics. Is Kagawa really that badly injured still? Rooney was a tough blow to happen but I think they need to really consider a last second move for some more width and midfield prowess. Of course, I HOPE they do nothing.

Arsenal continue to confound me too. It almost seems like they intentionally don't want to add anyone to their squad, yet they always seem to find ways to win these big matchups. I think Spurs could be fearsome but with such an influx of players I think they may need time to gel. Bale is FINALLY gone so that can be put to bed.

It's still early on but I think we could be in for a real dogfight throughout the entire league. Chelsea have a ridiculous amount of players now and look the strongest squad, especially with Jose but I think they are still fairly slow at the back and could be vulnerable there. Man City have a strong squad too and if they can sort out some of their defensive lapses they are right there as well. I see it as a two way race between those two for the title with Liverpool, Spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal battling for the last two Champions League spots.

Should be an excellent season, great start for Liverpool so far.

Take care all.

Formalhaut
09-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Don't really care for Liverpool really. I find it hard to like them.

As an aside, I checked the EoFF Fantasy League, and as I feared, I'm almost last. :p Knew I'd be pretty terrible at this.

Psychotic
09-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Don't really care for Liverpool really. I find it hard to like them. Then get out of this thread, there are too many like you. :colbert:

Hey, Old Manus, 1-0. Suck a dick. :smug:

Daniel Sturridge is a beast and Jordan Henderson is actually a very good player if you understand the game and what he does. You don't notice him so much when Liverpool have possession but if you watch the team when we don't the shift he puts in is insane.

I think if Fergie had been manager I could've seen us throwing that away as we always like to with United. Mentally their team seemed to be struggling, lots of tempers flaring and silly little kicks out at Liverpool players when there didn't need to be.

As for Bale, I don't know if he will flop because of the intensity of playing for Madrid, or go into a supernova like Ronaldo and Messi because the Spanish league is made up of a lot of poor sides.

Old Manus
09-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Hey, Old Manus, 1-0. Suck a dick. :smug:I can't hear you over £11M Borini quietly getting shifted to Sunderland

I was at the West Brom game, it was 90 minutes of domination. Anelka was their only player who managed to create anything, though our defence is still a bit slack. Dat based Michu/Hernandez/Pozuelo combination. Shelvey still producing half football genius and half guff. Scotty, what's the score? Scotty, Scotty, what's the score?

Also, The Hawthorns confirmed for having an atmosphere almost as bad as The Emirates.

Psychotic
09-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Hey, Old Manus, 1-0. Suck a dick. :smug:I can't hear you over £11M Borini quietly getting shifted to SunderlandI don't even understand the point you're trying to make here. An underperforming player leaving the club sure does take the shine off beating a fierce rival. :confused:

Still, I especially like that you highlighted the £11m fee, as if that is somehow in any way approaching some of the ridiculous fees the club have paid for players who have flopped even harder than he did. I was also a fan the mixed metaphors of not being able to hear me over the sounds of a quiet move. Finally, good job ridiculing a player who helped get your team promoted. Great post all round. 10/10.

Old Manus
09-02-2013, 01:17 PM
:aimkiss: I never know whether you're actually taking me seriously or you're just trolling me trolling you trolling me.

Psychotic
09-02-2013, 01:39 PM
If you look up who Swansea's next fixture is against, you may be able to find out the answer. Gotta get in early. :greenie:

Cuchulainn
09-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Ander Herrera might be on his way. Decent player but 36 million?

Loony BoB
09-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Aye, kinda sceptical about him being worth that much. We'll just have to wait and see (and hope).

The Captain
09-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Ozil would be a massive signing but it sounds like he really wants United, not Arsenal. Curious to see where he ends up.

Overall, I'm happy with Liverpool's transfer business. We even made Suarez loyal again!

Take care all.

Psychotic
09-02-2013, 09:43 PM
We even made Suarez loyal again!If only. Should've cashed in. Probably could've with Real if Spurs hadn't caved.

Cuchulainn
09-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Ander Herrera deal won't happen apparently. This is an embarassing time to be a United fan.

The Captain
09-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Ozil to Arsenal after all. Good signing for them but I wonder if they can use more bodies upfront? Their midfield will be very good though.

Jose must really love E'to also if he's still contemplating all these loan moves.

Take care all.

Psychotic
09-03-2013, 07:28 AM
I don't get why Arsenal particularly need Ozil when their strikeforce is all but non-existant. Huge whopping sum of money but fantastic to have such a brilliant player in the Premier League, especially when the likes of Bale and Tevez have left.

Fellaini will improve United but it smacks of desperation - chasing midfielders around all Summer while he was still available for a lower fee due to a release clause. He is good, but £27.5m good? Hmm.

Synoptikal
09-03-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm glad Özil is getting a chance in England. But I think he's worth a bit more money than what was paid.

Though, I must admit that I don't know all that much about the current shape of English football. Being in Austria, all I hear here about football goes like this:

Rapid Wien, Austria Wien, Rapid Wien, Austria Wien, Salzburg, ALABAAAAAAAAAAAA! Rapid Wien...ad nauseum.

Old Manus
09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Man Utd confirmed for being the new Notts Forest/Liverpool in 5 years time
Southampton confirmed for being the old Southampton in 5 years time
Arsenal confirmed for being the same Arsenal in 5 years time

Psychotic
09-03-2013, 11:35 AM
They should never have loaned out Emmanuel Mayuka.

PS: Don't forget Leeds.

Loony BoB
09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Why not? :p

Psychotic
09-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Oh you.

Anyway Daniel Towns, Moyes apologist, how do you feel about it all now? Spending £27.5m on Fellaini when just two weeks ago £28m was offered for both Fellaini and Baines tells its own story (the story is not Leighton Baines is worth £0.5m), as does United not revealing the fee and Everton being very happy to.

I also have to ask about how you feel about him coming out and saying it was a good performance against Liverpool and the best this season. It wasn't. It was very, very poor. United had a lot of possession but didn't do anything of any value or create any real threats with it. Every team has days like that, but you bet your last pound that Fergie wouldn't have called it a good performance. His comments remind me a lot of Roy Hodgson when he was at Liverpool and out of his depth.

What do you think of these two issues?

Loony BoB
09-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Anyway Daniel Towns, Moyes apologist, how do you feel about it all now? Spending £27.5m on Fellaini when just two weeks ago £28m was offered for both Fellaini and Baines tells its own story (the story is not Leighton Baines is worth £0.5m), as does United not revealing the fee and Everton being very happy to.
I don't care about the price paid too much, but it will be interesting to see if he adds that much to our squad. With Fletcher and Scholes out we did need another midfielder but I was hoping for something a little different. Still, 11 goals last season? I'd take that much at the least, but I still feel that we could use a little something else. Will be interesting either way and as ever with new signings, I'll wait and see how he plays with us before making a firm judgement. Not one that excites, though! Not sure I'd pay £27m for him, but then I don't think I'd pay £86m for Bale, either. It reminds me of when we signed Carrick for what was considered to be an inflated cost by Mr. Levy, but it turned out being good business for us in the long run as Carrick is one of our better players these days. Of course, it also reminds me of when we paid a similar sum (to Carrick's) for Hargreaves and I never, ever felt it was worth it.

I also have to ask about how you feel about him coming out and saying it was a good performance against Liverpool and the best this season.
It wasn't. It was very, very poor. United had a lot of possession but didn't do anything of any value or create any real threats with it.

:D

I will, however, say that in the second half we were probably the better team (not by much), but you don't play a game by showing up for one half. It was a sloppy goal to concede to, but an awkward final touch to defend against. My main concern was up front, though - I can't help but feel we missed not just Rooney, but also Kagawa who didn't even make the bench. I think Kagawa should be played a lot more than he is, personally. Finally, I felt that our width and aggression was lacking - our crosses were terrible when we actually bothered to fire them in. I don't know whether I would blame Moyes for it all or not - I felt the players made a lot of really bad touches in the game, gave away a lot of balls and (again) those crosses were just awful. The good ones? Nobody was there to receive them! The manager should correct such things, absolutely, but I expect better of the players.

Liverpool won the first half considerably by being the first to every ball and closing down at every opportunity - and a bit of old fashioned muscling and bullying. Not of the reckless kind, but basically enough to wind up our players and unsettle them. It was clever work, and I couldn't believe how often our players just gave up or didn't even try to chase down the ball. The second half we were better, but still, not good enough. Needed Rooney or Kagawa... RVP was fairly absent. Hernandez did bring out the better, more aggressive nature of our play when he came on, but you can't always win games for your team when you come on with ten minutes to play. Welbeck is good, but I don't think he and RVP make the best forward pairing.

Psychotic
09-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I think a midfield trio of Fellaini, Carrick and Kagawa is actually pretty sexy, especially with Zaha and Nani on the wings. But then Fergie's team has always been built for a 4-4-2 (apart from the odd experiment here and there) and so far Moyes is emulating that... and he's playing Ashley Young, too. And, bizarrely, Giggs on the wing.

Old Manus
09-04-2013, 05:18 PM
A lot of people talking out of their arse about the state of English football today.

[placeholder post for when I get home from work and am able to write a proper opinion]

What do you know, I get home and can't be bothered to type anything, so I'll now put it in handy bullet point form!

The Premier League is full of foreign players because they are better than homegrown players.
If homegrown players were properly taught how to play football (read: ball skills rather than long ball 'stick the head in' medievalball tactics which have been officially proscribed by the FA in their coaching manuals since the late 80s) at a young age, they would grow into better footballers with more of a chance of playing senior football.
While Germany, Spain, Holland et al put time and effort into revamping their youth schemes at the turn of the century and are now reaping the benefits, England have been left way behind evolutionarily. If you watch clips of Euro 96 you'll most teams hoofing it long. England are the only major team that stuck with it until very recently. Football has long since moved on.
England last won something in 1966. They've come nowhere near (apart from one or two semi-finals) ever since. This trend pre-dates the Premier League by decades. If anything, the advent of the Premier League has improved their performances! England in the 70s and 80s were absolute garbage. Finishing in the group stages/second round/quarter finals has been par for the course for the last 50 years, and it's baffling why this is suddenly some sort of crisis.
International-level youngsters also suffer by being put straight into the senior team once they appear to break into a PL first XI. This results in a situation where players in their early 20s have international experience merely in the form of the odd 20 minutes here and there as a sub in friendlies and qualifiers, rather than consistent starts in under-21 tournaments. What the hell is Raheem Sterling doing in the senior squad (yes Psychotic I'm still buttmad)?
Qatar 2022 winners. We'll just leave that there.
Chris Waddle needs to go back to doing what he does best, which is missing the target from 12 yards.

Psychotic
09-05-2013, 09:35 AM
You would also think they'd realise that playing with or against the likes of Ozil, Mata, Van Persie, Aguero, etc. etc. every week as opposed to the likes of Dean Holdsworth or Steve Stone would improve the quality of the English players too.

Also yeah I don't know if Sterling should be in the England squad right now. Last year he was regularly starting but this season he's had two sub appearances after missing several months of football at the end of last season through injury.

supernaps
09-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm absolutely ecstatic about the Ozil deal; I don't think many people realize how great he is. He's, hands down, one of the best players in the world right now, and has room to develop a lot more. This signing (though, we could have signed a Striker and a CB, but we can wait till January, Vermaelen is returning soon and Theo could replace Giroud if he got injured on that role) will proper Arsenal to the top again.

not enough fck yeahs in the world, basically.

p.s the Viviano deal, is pretty neat too, he's a decent goalie and will provide competition for the GK spot.

Old Manus
09-09-2013, 10:14 AM
p.s the Viviano deal, is pretty neat too, he's a decent goalie and will provide competition for the GK spot.

>goalie
>GK
>arsenal fan

american detected

supernaps
09-09-2013, 05:46 PM

>goalie
>GK
>arsenal fan

american detected

Yeah, your detection meter is way off.

supernaps
09-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Great win for the Gunners today; amazing assist by Ozil (see, that is why I love this player, he doesn't delay and turn around with the ball, he passes it by the time he sees an opening) great finishing by Giroud, and a Ramsey on fire (who would have thought, huh?).
I can't believe we're fucking first on the EPL, I cannot remember when was the last time. (still, Liverpool has a game less, but let me enjoy that moment)
I got a feeling, that this year it's gonna be really, really tight, it seems the usual top-5 teams don't differ as much as previous years.

[sorry for the double post, but since my previous was days ago, it should be okay.[

Old Manus
09-16-2013, 08:47 PM
psychotic you planned this all along

Psychotic
09-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Agent Shelvey strikes again.

Honestly I am just pleased this game is tonight - I thought it was Saturday. I was away for the wedding and was like "fuck me, if we get beasted Manus is going to think I panayi'd him". Yes, this is a genuine concern I had.

supernaps
09-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Shelvey has basically scored three times so far, this is ridiculous.

Old Manus
09-16-2013, 09:36 PM
if sterling scores I am leaving eoff forever

Psychotic
09-16-2013, 09:39 PM
jonjo will score the winner, but I don't know in whose net it will be

e: fair enough :monster:

Old Manus
09-16-2013, 11:11 PM
I think that game just sums up Jonjo Shelvey. Amazing when he's good, a liability when he's bad. Dat flick-on header. 2-2 probably a fair result, as much as I hoped we'd nick it at the end.

DK
09-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Jonjo is such a herioc bastard. on mine and J's recent fifa quest to make liverpool good again we were playing leciester in the FA cup and they were utterly wasting us it was brilliant, ended up being a 3-3 draw and had to go a replay, which ended up being even more insane and we were again drawing 3-3 with them until I got the ball with Jonjo in our own half, full on PES-stormed up the pitch past everyone and smashed the ball in from 25 yards out. probably my favourite goal of the season so far, either that or Big Andy scoring with a backheel. <3 Rodgers is such a tit to have sold them both.

To get back to real football, pellegrini out

Psychotic
09-17-2013, 07:44 AM
I think that game just sums up Jonjo Shelvey. Amazing when he's good, a liability when he's bad.pretty much, yeah. He is still a very young player though and he will learn from his mistakes and eliminate those errors as he gets older. Despite the oh so hilarious Twitter bantz, I still think he can develop into a very good player.

Old Manus
09-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Sunderland confirmed as the new QPR

Back down to League 2 where you belong, Paolo.

Psychotic
09-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Didn't he spend a lot of money, sign 14 players, and then they sack him after 5 games? Ridiculous. What the hell are they doing?

Also, Man United confirmed as the new Liverpool...? Aha. ;) Quite why David Moyes is whining about the fixture list I don't know. You're Manchester United. You're meant to respond to a tough group of fixtures by beating all of them. Roy Hodgson. Graeme Souness. I'm telling you! They'll continue to beat the lower teams in the league but Moyes just does not have the experience in matching bigger teams - he always set up Everton to go for a draw against the top sides.

Loony BoB
09-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Knee-jerk reaction to say he can't beat the big sides, I'd say him going 4-2 in UEFA wasn't bad, and even SAF managed to lose 5-1 to City. It's extremely early to judge him, I'll wait 'til the end of the season. I'm not expecting us to win the league, either, but I do expect us to remain top four. If we don't manage that I'll say he's done a bad job. But yeah, so far it's not been great but a new manager with only one of the players being his own signing (although I'm yet to be sold on that one...), I'll give him time.

What I don't like is his insistence on playing Ashley Young. :stare: Why has Kagawa not been playing? Where was Nani? Was Fabio injured as well as Rafael? Our technically brilliant players need more time on the pitch. The words doing the rounds involve Moyes saying he wanted to keep the playing team consistent through the tough early period and then start tinkering. Well, he better tinker and he better do it soon. We have great players who have not played at all despite being fit. I like Welbeck, too, but if he keeps fluffing his shots then at the very least bring on Kagawa or Hernandez when we're 4-0 down if only to give them some minutes on the pitch!

Fingers crossed we'll see more of our players sooner rather than later.

Psychotic
09-23-2013, 04:15 PM
It's not a knee-jerk when he's not done it in 10 years. Oh, and you can give him time if you want, but he has had more time than, say, Manuel Pellegrini...! Still, it's the "OH NO, HARD FIXTURES :(" attitude which would concern me more rather than the on-pitch performances. If that's your manager's attitude and he's coming up with excuses before the games have happened, then it doesn't really fill you with much confidence, does it?

PS: It was 6-1 to City :aimkiss: And to be fair, the 4-1 loss was worse. United were down to 10 men in the 6-1, and three of the goals were in the last few minutes when United were going all out to score.

supernaps
09-23-2013, 04:18 PM
What I don't like is his insistence on playing Ashley Young. :stare: Why has Kagawa not been playing?

Ashley Young is a mediocre player, there's no comparison with Kagawa, that is mind-baffling; it's true that it's still early to judge Moyes, but so far Utd has been playing bad, just bad. (for Utd's standards anyway) They are lucky they have gotten that points they've gotten in most of the league games.

In other news, TOP.OF.THE.LEAGUE. hehehe, nice feeling.
I said from the beginning of the season that Arsenal might not have the mega-star players (with the exception of Ozil) but the team has been gelling the last couple seasons, and that's the most important thing in modern football; a solid team where teammates have been playing together for years and know each other, their positions, how to cover each other and such. We need a couple more signings come January and we're totally set.

Old Manus
09-23-2013, 04:37 PM
"OH NO, HARD FIXTURES :("Inorite. Has Moyes seen our start? Man Utd opener, followed by Tottenham away, West Brom, Liverpool, Palace, and Arsenal next week. And we're on equal points. Suck it the smurf up, Dave.

EDIT: And that's not mentioning Valencia away midweek.

Loony BoB
09-23-2013, 04:50 PM
It's not a knee-jerk when he's not done it in 10 years. Oh, and you can give him time if you want, but he has had more time than, say, Manuel Pellegrini...! Still, it's the "OH NO, HARD FIXTURES :(" attitude which would concern me more rather than the on-pitch performances. If that's your manager's attitude and he's coming up with excuses before the games have happened, then it doesn't really fill you with much confidence, does it?
Person who did this the most: Sir Alex Ferguson. With that said, I don't pay much attention to it, really. ;) Am I annoyed at being out of the top four at the moment? Yeah, sure. But if Pellegrini were to be on the losing side, I wouldn't offer knee-jerk reactions about him, either. As for Moyes not being able to beat a big side for ten years - what? I thought he had the best record against City out of every manager ever since City got bought out by the Middle Eastern group? And I'm sure he's beaten us before, in a game which was said to have been "the one that lost us the title" a couple of seasons ago?

Jess
09-23-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm personally devastated at the sacking of PDC. He was doing such a fantastic job at alienating the players & the fans, buying a bunch of mediocre players and selling Sunderland's best players. I hope his successor keeps up the good work. :thumb:

Psychotic
09-25-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm personally devastated at the sacking of PDC. He was doing such a fantastic job at alienating the players & the fans, buying a bunch of mediocre players and selling Sunderland's best players. I hope his successor keeps up the good work. :thumb:Didn't do too badly against your lot though, did he? ;)

In other news, I don't think I've been as apathetic about a Liverpool v Man United game in a long time. I am having trouble caring. SUAREZ!!! isn't even enough to get me excited. He'll be rusty from not playing regularly and be trout, and he'll be on his best behaviour so no racist biting handballs will happen. Maybe a "dive" or two (Luis Suarez going down after being hit in the face with a sledgehammer is now a dive for commentators) but meh.

Old Manus
09-26-2013, 05:17 PM
mickey mouse cup anyway

Psychotic
09-26-2013, 05:27 PM
yeah, any team that has won it in the past two years or so should be embarassed

Jess
09-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Didn't do too badly against your lot though, did he? ;)
Yeah, that wasn't supposed to happen. :shifty:

Old Manus
09-27-2013, 10:59 AM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/70148000/jpg/_70148381_hi019456128.jpg

I only wish I could look this badass while on the way to court for tax fraud.

Psychotic
09-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Is that thing next to little Leo a man or a woman?

Old Manus
10-06-2013, 10:32 AM
ADNAN JANUZAJ THE NEW SAVIOUR OF MANCHESTER RED

FUTURE ENGLAND PROSPECT

After one good half against bottom of the league opposition. At half time United fans were texting into the BBC text commentary comments along the lines of 'Who is this guy and why is he playing'. Remember Federico Macheda? I mean, this guy may well come good (saving myself for the end of season quotes), but christ.

Psychotic
10-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Half of them were texting in "Remember Federico Macheda?" too. Trying to play it off like you're original, you big fraud. :colbert:

I smurfing hate every single comment on the BBC text commentary but it's the only bloody way. I did like them all having a Belgium wank again despite the fact that he's Kosovan/Albanian.

Old Manus
10-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Haha, I stopped following the live text after half time. I'm still original :colbert:

Old Manus
10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
We have to remember what we are. We are English. We tackle hard, are tough on the pitch and are hard to beat.

"We have great characters. You think of Spain and you think technical but you think of England and you think they are brave and they tackle hard. We have to remember that. But remember it's the ~EVIL MONEYGRABBING PREMIER LEAGUE~, not this, that is the reason why England are trout. 'Great characters' like EBJT and The One And Only Rickie Lambert will win the tournaments we so desire with little more than a cockney wink and an endorsement from Carlsberg.

Psychotic
10-26-2013, 03:32 PM
I think Jordan Henderson is one of my favourite players. He reminds me of an overexcitable dog or kitten. If the opposition has the ball, he's just chasing them around non-stop like "hey it's me it's Jordan Henderson hi whatcha doing whatcha doing remember me it's Jordan, Jordan Henderson, hi, hi you've got the ball, can I see the ball, hello there!" He's never going to be a Suarez or Messi world class player, and on the ball he's probably about average, but what he does is smurfing effective because they can't get a good pass away and lose possession. He has some phenomenal stamina.

Iceglow
10-26-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure if this week for Spurs will be interesting or dull as fuck. We play Hull twice in 4 days, interesting aspect same teams, 2 games could see a shock result (unlikely) dull as fuck = 1) It's fucking Hull, 2 same game twice in effect and 3) It's fucking Hull.

Psychotic
11-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Oh dear, charliepanayi is going to be back now isn't he :colbert:

Cuchulainn
11-04-2013, 01:40 PM
United have strung a few wins together. This may not be an 80s flashback year after all.

Then again I remember us dong this in 89 too then remembering we were balls and returning to form.

Loony BoB
11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Three points off second place with three quarters of the season to go... not worried just yet. I just want us to stay in the top four.

Old Manus
11-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Laudrup out

supernaps
11-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Gutted we lost against Utd, but it's not like they dominated; we received a goal from a set piece and that was that. Game could have gone either way, two losses in 11 games isn't so bad, considering we're still topping.
I am really concerned about the fatigue in the team though, especially when it comes to Giroud; srsly, we need asap a reliable backup. You know there's something wrong, when we dust off Bendtner after two years, that's just ridic.

forever loling @ Chelsea's ~penalty~ in injury time btw. That whistle wouldn't get blown even in the Greek league, and we give away some truly hilarious penalty kicks. Bromwich were robbed.

Old Manus
11-13-2013, 09:29 AM
forever loling @ Stoke's ~penalty~ in injury time btw. That whistle wouldn't get blown even in the Greek league, and we give away some truly hilarious penalty kicks. Swansea were robbed.

Cuchulainn
11-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Gutted we lost against Utd, but it's not like they dominated; we received a goal from a set piece and that was that. Game could have gone either way, two losses in 11 games isn't so bad, considering we're still topping.
I am really concerned about the fatigue in the team though, especially when it comes to Giroud; srsly, we need asap a reliable backup. You know there's something wrong, when we dust off Bendtner after two years, that's just ridic.

forever loling @ Chelsea's ~penalty~ in injury time btw. That whistle wouldn't get blown even in the Greek league, and we give away some truly hilarious penalty kicks. Bromwich were robbed.

Could have gone either way? Please remind me when de Gea broke a sweat having to save something? You had more possession but we allowed you that. It was mostly in areas where you were not a threat. When it mattered the best chances fell to us.

Also yea that Stoke penalty and Chelsea penalty decisions were a joke.

supernaps
11-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Could have gone either way? Please remind me when de Gea broke a sweat having to save something? You had more possession but we allowed you that. It was mostly in areas where you were not a threat. When it mattered the best chances fell to us.

Also yea that Stoke penalty and Chelsea penalty decisions were a joke.

Oh, so Ozil's shoot that just nearly crossed the post along with the last minute cross of Sagna's that samuraiB52 didn't convert into a goal because he didn't move quickly doesn't count? The game generally was not of excellent quality, too many battles in the midfield area but you weren't exactly threatening either. A draw would have been much more fair. Both teams weren't nearly at their best, and usually when that happens it's the details that make the difference aka Van Persie being lucky to score with a combo between ear and shoulder.
And just to make clear, I don't mean Utd didn't deserve to win, they took the very few chances they got and defended well so kudos to them; I just said that both teams were on it.

Cuchulainn
11-13-2013, 01:52 PM
United neutralised all your threats. Every player was made to look ordinary. Sagna was the only danger & even then it was rare.

We had you where we wanted you and kept you there most of the game. For the first time this season...Moyes out thought another manager.

supernaps
11-13-2013, 03:04 PM
For the first time this season...Moyes out thought another manager.

Well, you got a point there; our lack of clear width players was evident in this game. By the time Gnabry was introduced to the game, it was too late.

Psychotic
11-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Luis Suarez is the best player in the Premier League. I don't even care. Banned for half the season so far and is now the joint top scorer. Phenomenal talent.

Still a fucking dick for this Summer though, but I will admit if he scores more goals like that header the ice in my heart will slowly melt.

supernaps
11-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Luis Suarez is the best player in the Premier League. I don't even care. Banned for half the season so far and is now the joint top scorer. Phenomenal talent.

Still a smurfing dick for this Summer though, but I will admit if he scores more goals like that header the ice in my heart will slowly melt.

He is a beast upfront, yeah. Still thinking that Real will grab him in January, though.

Rocket Edge
11-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm slowly joining the camp that he is a clinical striker. Best in the league? You wouldn't take the likes of RVP, Rooney, Aguero, or Ozil ahead of him?

And lol at Paulo Di Canio's interview on SSN's. He lives inside his own head.

Shoden
11-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Welp its been a rollercoaster of a month or two for Newcastle, after losing embarrassingly to Sunderland, giving the worst team in the league their first win, we seemed to have found some form of adrenaline, spark. The City game was great, though we did lose it and got knocked out the cup... but hey its Newcastle we're not meant to win anything.
Beating Chelsea and managing to not only beat Spurs but keep a clean sheet was a great match. I think its finally starting to come to the point Tim Krul has finally shown the team and fans that after all these years he can be as good for us as Shay Given ever was.

Psychotic
11-18-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm slowly joining the camp that he is a clinical striker. Best in the league? You wouldn't take the likes of RVP, Rooney, Aguero, or Ozil ahead of him?You could make cases for the other three, but Rooney? Definitely not. And on current form, none of them. You also have to remember that the other players all play in much better teams than Liverpool!

Old Manus
11-18-2013, 12:32 PM
gif of the season early candidate for those who don't browse /r/soccer enough

http://i.minus.com/ibeLXvs1D1Hk3H.gif

Psychotic
11-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Need to put Dan and Steve in a room together now.

DK
11-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Pauw knows I've had a semi for Jesus for ages now (such a hero, what a goal) but fuck me, I think I've developed a full on man crush for Negredo. Beast is the best nickname. God damn crazy giant bastard making more sweet touches and passes than most of the technical midgets in our team. He's insane. Has there been a better signing this season? Geniune non-rhetorical question btw, a lot more difficult for me to follow other teams progress on this side of the world. I can't imagine it though.

Psychotic
11-26-2013, 07:28 AM
I am a p. big fan of Negredo as well. What's also important is that he enables Aguero to play his game too - big man, little man. Sort of like Heskey and Owen, if Owen was good.

Best signing? Blow it out your ass. Jonjo Shelvey to Swansea and Andy Carroll to West Ham, sunshine. :colbert:

In the best of the rest, well, definitely the best attacking signing - he whoops Spurs and Chelsea's collection in Soldado, Lamela, Eriksen, Eto'o and Schurrle, that's for sure. I'd say he's been better than Ozil too, as Krakow Pauw started well but has faded a little bit recently. Lukaku is good, if you can count loan signings.

However, I think a couple of defensive signings may have been better - Dejan Lovren and Simon Mignolet. Southampton's defence used to be pure comedy (now it's just the goalkeeper apparently) and Lovren has been absolutely massive for them. I have him in my work Fantasy Football team and he just racks up the points. Mignolet has been fucking brilliant for 'pool and by my reckoning has saved us at least 5 points (including a last minute penalty, what a boss) that Pepe would have fucked up. I loved Pepe, I did, but it was time to put the old boy down. He was becoming a liability and it sucked because I liked him so much.

Loony BoB
11-26-2013, 10:06 AM
I would add in some other signing or something, but Paul's pretty much covered the lot. :up:

OH WAIT HE FORGOT FELLAINI MAN HOW GREAT IS HE.

:(

Old Manus
11-26-2013, 10:13 AM
It's all about Wilfried 'I only score in Europe' Bony.

How dog shit are Fulham recently?

Psychotic
12-04-2013, 09:58 PM
What a night of football!

RocketMBA
12-04-2013, 10:36 PM
If you're reading this, stop: you should be watching Match of the Day instead. Also lol moyes

Heath
12-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Glad to see my beloved Everton can put away those mid-table sides :D

... I need to make the most of those remarks while I can. It'll probably be another 21 years before I can make them again.

Psychotic
12-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Remember when I told you all that Moyes was a clogger and not good enough to manage a big team like Man United and you all jumped on me and said he was great?

Remember when I said Suarez was one of the most technical/skilful players in the league's history in the same bracket as Bergkamp, Zola and Le Tissier? Even though I don't think some of you quite understood what I was trying to say, you all dogpiled on me and rubbished it?

Remember when I said Jonjo Shelvey is an undisputed beast and King of Football and a couple of you acted moderately confused while Cuch said he was shit?

Get to smurf, the lot of you. :p

Incidentally, I watched Matt Le Tissier compilations on YouTube the other day. Absolutely sublime. Whenever people go "Duhhh why can't England produce technical players like Spain?" it's because when we do, we give them less than 10 caps. What a waste.

Loony BoB
12-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Still not worried about Moyes' abilities, in all honesty. I'll be content with a CL spot this season after our awful transfer window, and we're only five points out of that yet. Long way to go, and judging a manager so early in his first season at a new club is something that is below you, Psy. :p

Psychotic
12-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I've judged him on 10 years if the turgid dross he served up at Everton. I never understood why people had a soft spot for them when they played such of awful football. I know I shouldn't but I actually quite like watching them play now :shobon:

Ps: I judged Roy Hodgson so early in his first season too, as did the owners. It was the right call. And at least Roy's old boy Konchesky didn't cost £27m :p

Loony BoB
12-05-2013, 09:18 AM
I judge the chairman for that transfer, and also for the lack of good transfers elsewhere. Awful.

I trust Sir Alex to have a good idea of who is the right manager for United, and I'm pretty sure he always wanted Moyes.

Old Manus
12-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Remember when I told you all that Moyes was a clogger and not good enough to manage a big team like Man United and you all jumped on me and said he was great?I called it as well :colbert:

Remember when I said Suarez was one of the most technical/skilful players in the league's history in the same bracket as Bergkamp, Zola and Le Tissier? Even though I don't think some of you quite understood what I was trying to say, you all dogpiled on me and rubbished it?...:colbert:

Remember when I said Jonjo Shelvey is an undisputed beast and King of Football and a couple of you acted moderately confused while Cuch said he was trout?After his last few games alternating between being anonymous and a liability, he's had his game as king of football, so next week he is due two own goals. He should be dropped now :colbert:

In other news, this is shaping to be my favourite season in a while. Man Utd floundering as fans leave in droves, Mourinho press conferences, Swans still in Europe and Joe Allen missing open goals from 6 yards.

Psychotic
12-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Just remember: £5m for Shelvey, £15m for Allen. Yep.

Heath
12-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I have to say that I still rate Moyes as a manager, though I will concede that I was probably unduly pessimistic about Everton without him. Though I don't think I'm ever anything but pessimistic about Everton. I don't think you can deny that he massively improved Everton over his eleven years. If United give him time and money, I'm sure they'll be back in the top 4.

Having said that, I'm finding Roberto Martinez nowhere near as infuriating as I thought I might. But I suppose his optimism and cheeriness is probably win when we're winning and our defence hasn't quite gone to the dogs like I thought it might.

Psychotic
12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
He's just a Scottish Sam Allardyce.

Psychotic
12-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Well that's our World Cup over. Did I mention I hate Suarez?

Old Manus
12-06-2013, 06:14 PM
gg michel platini

Old Manus
12-07-2013, 05:00 PM
http://static.goal.com/309800/309882_heroa.jpg

To be fair, Newcastle need to be beating wee clubs like Manchester United.

Psychotic
12-07-2013, 06:28 PM
I'll be content with a CL spot this season after our awful transfer window, and we're only five points out of that yet. Seven now. This should not even be the goal of the defending Premier League champions. To be blunt, if Man United had acquired a manager along the lines of Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Pellegrini, Klopp, even Rafa god damn Benitez the goal would be to win, or at the very least challenge for the title. I'm not saying all of those names were available (some certainly were) but that's the calibre of manager a club like United should've aimed for, not a clogger like Moyes.

It doesn't matter if Ferguson picked David Moyes. He may have picked Cantona, Keane and Ronaldo but he also picked Bebe, Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson. It took him ten, TEN goalkeeper signings (Bosnich, van der Gouw, Culkin, Taibi, Rachubka, Barthez, Goram, Carroll, Ricardo, Howard) before United finally had a solid keeper in Van der Sar. He's not infallible. He picked Moyes because he's his mate, not because he's any good.

United have to qualify for the Champions League. They have to, because the loss of revenue and status would be highly damaging. Once you're out, it's very, VERY hard to get back in... and as a Liverpool fan, I know all too well it's not as simple as you might think. I don't think you can flippantly say "It's only X points" when you consider the teams you need to chase down. Arsenal, Chelsea and City are all nailed-on, and that leaves one spot. You've got to beat Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Newcastle and Southampton to get there. You need each one of them to smurf up. Given that most of these teams have actually beaten United, it isn't looking good.

Now is the time to gamble. If they don't hit 4th this season, the title will not be at Old Trafford for a long time. They need a smurfing huge transfer window. I mean a Chelsea or Man City level transfer window. Get 3 first team quality players and make a post Christmas charge. No decent players will want to touch them with a bargepole once they're out of the CL - again, as a Liverpool fan I know all too well. See Diego Costa and Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Even Moyes shouldn't be able to smurf it up if United spend £50m+ in January. Right now he is doing things like rushing back a half-fit Van Persie and he looks desperate. I think his players know it.

Loony BoB
12-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Keep in mind that United are also one of the only teams to barely scratch past 50% of their revenue going towards player wages. We have a lot of room for use in case of emergencies, and I genuinely believe we will be okay in the long run, because we can afford to "do a City" and swamp our team with players with wages far higher than they should be if we want to get back into the CL spots should we fall shy of them. I will be very disappointed if Moyes did not get a CL spot, absolutely, but I don't believe in the panicstations fire-the-manager reactions that many go along with. Never have agreed with it, ever.

Keep in mind that while we have indeed struggled in the PL, we've also beaten Arsenal and recently got a record away victory in the CL against a team that sat (sit?) second in the Bundesliga, which is apparently the best league in Europe these days. We lack consistency, and that should come with time, as one would expect. Yes, we're getting disappointing results, but again, I don't agree with the panic that has come as a result.

Personally, my main point of disgust regarding the staff of Manchester United lies with the chairman, who didn't get any of the targets that actually sounded pretty great, and got the least appealing one of the lot for far more than we should have. Awful, awful chairmanship.

Old Manus
12-07-2013, 07:20 PM
They need a smurfing huge transfer window. I mean a Chelsea or Man City level transfer window.Ex-Preston and Everton manager Moyes will surely make use of his worldwide-reaching network of ex-colleagues and connections to make this happen.

Heath
12-07-2013, 07:27 PM
They need a smurfing huge transfer window. I mean a Chelsea or Man City level transfer window.Ex-Preston and Everton manager Moyes will surely make use of his worldwide-reaching network of ex-colleagues and connections to make this happen.

I do wish you wouldn't be so cynical, Manus. You make Moyes sound like the sort of bloke who'd have his dad doing scouting for him. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Moyes#Personal_life)

To be fair to Moyes, I agree with BoB that people don't need to be hitting panic stations yet. But I think people might at least want to figure out what the best route to them is if they don't have a better January transfer window than their summer one.

Loony BoB
12-07-2013, 07:41 PM
To be fair, SAF had his family scouting for him, too.

Heath
12-08-2013, 08:12 PM
4 points out of away trips to Utd and Arsenal? Yeah, I'll take that. Thought we were comfortably in control for large portions of that match (especially the first 40 minutes), though would have liked to have seen us challenge Szczęsny a bit more.

Psychotic
12-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Sir Chesney.

RocketMBA
12-09-2013, 11:48 AM

Manchester United's problems solved.

Old Manus
12-09-2013, 02:56 PM
>cue DK posting that picture of Souness

EDIT: Anyway, here's my dau penneth on the Man Utd 'crisis' at the moment:

Firstly, it isn't a crisis. This time last season, Arsenal were in the same boat, except slightly worse off on 21 points in 10th place (United are on 22 points in 9th) and ended up comfortably making 4th place and the Champions League. I think that on paper, United this season are as good as (if not better) than Arsenal last season.

Secondly, I don't buy the "all the other top teams have improved but United haven't" argument. It might apply if United had been losing to all the top teams, but they haven't.

Manchester Utd losses so far:
Liverpool away
City away
West Brom home
Everton home
Newcastle home

Is it really a huge upset that United are losing to Liverpool and Man City away? Their other 'poor' results were draws against Southampton and Cardiff. The aforementioned argument would have to imply that West Brom, Southampton et al have improved beyond what United were last season, which is rubbish. I just think you can attribute United's form to a combination of them simply not playing very well, and Moyes. 'A transition period'? Look at what Martinez is already doing at Everton with a bunch of lads who were playing kick-and-rush hoofball 6 months ago and have lost their best player!

Thirdly, I meant it when I made the quip about Moyes' lack of clout in the transfer market. Managers primarily rely on players they have worked with in the past when making their first transfers. You can see it with Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool, and the same thing has happened here, except unfortunately, Everton FC isn't exactly a free-for-all of experienced quality European footballers. The Swans have had a few changes of management in the last few years, and one of the biggest benefits of bringing in Laudrup is that he seems to know everybody involved in football on the continent. Hence we end up with bargains like Michu. I just can't see Moyes ringing up one of his Serie A chums and asking them about their next big thing.

So in conclusion, it's not a crisis, but it's a crisis.

DK
12-10-2013, 03:07 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/05/article-0-026756FE0000044D-28_306x423.jpg

Psychotic
12-10-2013, 07:42 AM
United have a run of relatively easy and winnable fixtures coming up (whereas Liverpool have Spurs, Chelsea and City away in 3 of our next four games :|) so I actually genuinely expect United to be ahead of Liverpool and a few others when Christmas hits... hence why I have been taking advantage of this situation for as long as I can, as it's not often I see Liverpool 7 places ahead of United in the league table. :jess:

Heath
12-14-2013, 03:02 PM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_01/wengerDM0304_468x532.jpg

Psychotic
12-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Not been a great week for Arsenal, has it? Never mind, let's see what next wee... oh, right, Chelsea.

Heath
12-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Still, good news for Everton and Liverpool's title chances, eh?

Chamakh has just scored for Crystal Palace. I feel to blame for this because I transferred him into my Fantasy Football team this week and then put him on the bench.

Psychotic
12-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Still, good news for Everton and Liverpool's title chances, eh?Let's rock the Premier League like the mid-to-late 1980's!

Also I just made Aguero my Fantasy Football captain (switched from Suarez, I was in raptures when he got those four goals and the assist!) and he only got 5 points (to make 10) what the smurf :colbert: City score 6 and you only get 5 points, Sergio? :doublecolbert:

DK
12-14-2013, 03:48 PM
can't believe we shipped 3 against such a shithouse team, not happy, pellegrini out

Psychotic
12-14-2013, 03:51 PM
can't believe we shipped 3 against such a shithouse team, not happy, pellegrini out49189

Psychotic
12-15-2013, 05:57 PM
So, uh... I'm beginning to get worried you guys. The usual winter collapse isn't happening. We've got games against Chelsea and City so there's still time but we're normally utterly wank against Spurs, we never beat them. This is worrying.

Loony BoB
12-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I wish you were slightly more wank against Spurs, because right now you suck at being wank.

Psychotic
12-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Why do you wish that? I mean, I know you have no love of Liverpool but surely everyone can enjoy Spurs being hammered 5-0 at home regardless of who is doing the hammering.

Loony BoB
12-16-2013, 11:02 AM
I'd prefer it being a very tricky 1-0 so you guys don't remain confident and end up struggling. Or even a draw! A draw would have been fantastic.

I don't have a massive grudge against Spurs on the level that some people do... just haven't really got any rivalry built with them over the ten or so years I've been following United.

Old Manus
12-16-2013, 11:40 AM
http://abload.de/img/avbgifv8fn1.gif

AssassinDX
12-16-2013, 12:24 PM
He's now been sacked, even though Spurs got mauled by both City and Liverpool they're only 5 points off 4th place, won all their Europa League games, they're in the League Cup and about to start their FA Cup campaign so this season is hardly a disaster. Also they're one point better off this season than they were at this point last season, and that was with Gareth Bale.

Harsh sacking in my mind, as was Steve Clarke's on that note.

Loony BoB
12-16-2013, 12:39 PM
For me, any sacking in the first half of the year is really not cool, especially if the club is in the top half of the table. Imagine if Wenger got sacked for being in such a "low" position early in last season? Ridiculous.

EDIT: Wow, just saw the CL draw. United are fairly lucky, although any team at this stage of the competition has earned a spot and it could prove tricky for all I know. Haven't seen them play for a while. But as for Arsenal and City... damn, man, those games are going to be good.

Psychotic
12-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Shame, I liked AVB. And indeed Steve Clarke.

DK
12-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Well, lovely. Asshole Barca and Sergio is crippled for a month at least. I hope Jovetic can stay uninjured and come in and do the business.

Also, Spurs, wtf, dire. Hope they end up with Steve Kean.

Formalhaut
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
I agree, the Boas sacking was quite harsh. Not to mention now this will severely destabilise the entire squad. Second-rate 'caretaker' managers never really do well to be honest.

They're not even doing that bad. Sure, they did lose pretty shockingly against Liverpool (Grr...) but overall they're doing pretty okay. Sure, they are seventh, but their above United, which isn't exactly difficult, and they are only a few points from Everton.

Even if Boas had to go, at least wait a while. They now have to start of the second half of the season with no manager.

Hardly a good way to begin proceedings.

AssassinDX
12-16-2013, 06:47 PM
It would appear Gianfranco Zola has parted ways with Watford too interestingly, he's apparently one of the favourites to take over at Spurs.

Personally I'd love to see that, I think he did a good job at West Ham and was another in a long list of unfairly sacked managers. He'll get the players motivated too, I remember reading an article once where several West Ham players agreed that he was a very good tactician and a very hands-on type of manager - and in five-a-side training could still play better than half the squad. :P

Glenn Hoddle is a name that's being thrown about too, after his ill-fated England stint I can't help but feel he's a little out of touch with the modern game and the media will murder him the minute he says something out of line.

Psychotic
12-16-2013, 06:54 PM
I would laugh if Glenn Hoddle came back into management! I think it'd be great fun to watch! You're right that the media would be all over him, but it can't be any worse than they were on AVB for not being Saint 'Arry of Redknapp.

Rocket Edge
12-17-2013, 06:59 PM
The English people go a little hard on HR I think. Maybe its because Jamie Redknapp is working for Sky and it's a never ending barrage of bigging him up. Good manager that shouldn't have left Spurs IMO.

As for Glenn Hoddle - who's the last club he managed? Wasn't it years ago? Why is he even being touted? :p

With United this season, I said at the start and i'll say it again; I'd be delighted with a top 4 finish. Hard to pick out anyone who we could get over City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and even Everton at the minute. We have to find a run of form somewhere to have a chance.

Lastly, City to beat Barca in the CL and Arsenal to give Bayern a good test. All depends on how Arsenal are feeling going into the games.

Psychotic
12-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Wolves 2006 if that was a genuine query!

AssassinDX
12-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Hoddle is also doing a really cool thing out in Spain called the Glenn Hoddle Academy, basically he takes released players from youth teams of English clubs and makes a proper team out of them in the lower leagues of Spanish football.

Glenn Hoddle Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Hoddle_Academy)

They've been a big screwed financially for the past few years though, so I wouldn't be surprised if Hoddle were to get out of there.

Old Manus
12-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Pre-seasons in Football Manager wouldn't be pre-seasons if they didn't include the obligatory 8-0 drubbing of Glenn Hoddle Academy.

AssassinDX
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Haha, good to know it isn't just me who does that.

The Captain
12-19-2013, 06:45 PM
I quite like how even this premier league season has become. Granted, Man City look frightening when they are on but without Sergio, will they still have the same sting upfront?

I think if Liverpool can come out of the next three games with 5 points we'll be in great shape. Any more than that and I'd be ecstatic. I am really, really happy for Jordan Henderson especially of late. The kid was given up and left for dead but has been nothing short of a workhorse this year so I'm glad he's finally getting his kudos. I still don't like Suarez but damn he is insanely talented.

The Champions League clashes look mighty good too. It's a good time for football!

Take care all.

Heath
12-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Hoddle is also doing a really cool thing out in Spain called the Glenn Hoddle Academy, basically he takes released players from youth teams of English clubs and makes a proper team out of them in the lower leagues of Spanish football.

Glenn Hoddle Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Hoddle_Academy)

They've been a big screwed financially for the past few years though, so I wouldn't be surprised if Hoddle were to get out of there.

I was reading about Glenn Hoddle Academy the other day. While I thought the aim was broadly laudable (if a bit Cash Converters-y), I found the whole thing a bit surprising. It's not exactly the England job is it?

Swansea-Everton tomorrow. Quite looking forward to a good open, game. So I'm going to predict an 8-0 drubbing by Swansea, given that I'm looking forward to it.

On the topic of Harry Redknapp - my favourite part of the AVB sacking?

Which is probably what I would've done had Harry Redknapp urged me to do anything.

Psychotic
12-21-2013, 08:05 PM
I'M A FAHCKIN FAHTBALL MANAGER NOT A WEEWAH DEAWAH

Also Liverpool 1st, Man United 7th. Something is seriously wrong. This is not right, this is not right at all. I'm horrified. Slightly enjoying it but I know it's all going to go horrendously tits up. Most likely it'll happen the second I start to believe we can come in the top 4, let alone make a serious title push. I've had my hopes dashed too many times.

Heath
12-21-2013, 08:10 PM
I like to think it's the absence of Liverpool fans using the phrase 'our year.' Someone'll use it after Christmas and you'll get relegated due to a 50 point deduction caused by Luis Suarez being outed as an alien lifeform and therefore an ineligible player. You read it here first.

Edit: Also joined the Fantasy Football League about eight years too late.

Old Manus
12-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Fuck you Heath what's this 8-0 nonsense we've never beaten you and you knew you'd win :colbert:

Interestingly, I was far more scared of that fixture now that Martinez is manager, as opposed to the Moyes era.

Heath
12-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Fuck you Heath what's this 8-0 nonsense we've never beaten you and you knew you'd win :colbert:

Interestingly, I was far more scared of that fixture now that Martinez is manager, as opposed to the Moyes era.

I tend to be suspicious of these 'never beaten Everton' records because I've fallen into this 'oh, that's three points nailed on' trap too many times. Sunderland had a similarly dire record against us until last season.

Also - award for ridiculous managerial appointment goes to Spurs.

Psychotic
12-23-2013, 09:59 PM
But Tim Sherwood is a football man. He's a man. Who is a football.

Minami
12-23-2013, 10:53 PM
I look forward to every single Chelsea match for the sole reason of my brother's Facebook rants about how rubbish the team are doing (He's the worlds biggest Chelsea fan). Never fails to make me laugh

Heath
12-23-2013, 10:56 PM

Sorry - I retract my previous statement based upon new evidence being unearthed.

Psychotic
12-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Sorry - I retract my previous statement based upon new evidence being unearthed.Also he has the same name as Sherwood Forest which reminds me of Nottingham Forest and they won the European Cup twice so if you think about it, he's probably overqualified for this job.
I look forward to every single Chelsea match for the sole reason of my brother's Facebook rants about how rubbish the team are doing (He's the worlds biggest Chelsea fan). Never fails to make me laughWe need a new Chelsea fan here! All the other "Big 7" are covered, just about.

Old Manus
12-24-2013, 10:00 AM
It's a Big 7 now? No need to include E̶v̶e̶r̶t̶o̶n̶ Manchester United just for the sake of member inclusiveness.

Heath
12-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Our claim to being the big anything died when we sold Yakubu.

Psychotic
12-24-2013, 02:39 PM
It's a Big 7 now? No need to include E̶v̶e̶r̶t̶o̶n̶ Manchester United just for the sake of member inclusiveness.Wrong United. I was of course referring to Newcastle.

Minami
12-24-2013, 02:58 PM
I'll hang around as the Chelsea fan then haha

Loony BoB
12-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Mikeface also supports Chelsea, but doesn't really follow football enough to bother posting, sadly.

Shoden
12-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Christmas celebrations continue! Stoke totally threw the game away and deserved the sending offs, just the ref took pity on them eventually. Personally a 3rd red card was possible the way Shawcross was trying to practice kung fu kicks constantly, there also could have easily been 3 more penalties.
Win's a win though and 5 goals makes the GD a world of good!!

Mahad
12-27-2013, 03:33 AM
That goal from Suarez was totally valid, I don't know what the assistant was looking at. Totally ruined my week.

The Captain
12-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Refs decisions didn't go our way but what was obvious too is we need to add squad depth. Man City has just an insane squad and even when hit with injuries they could field a very strong team. When we lose Stevie and Sturridge our overall team is lacking a bit and hopefully that is addressed in January. Still I was impressed that we stood toe to toe with Man City and think if we play a similar type of game against Chelsea may be able to nip all 3 points from them.

Take care all.

AssassinDX
12-27-2013, 06:29 PM
That offside decision on Sterling was absolutely shocking, I'm surprised you're taking it so well as even though Coutinho did eventually score you could and should have been 2-0 up at one point.

Some news for you chaps, Malky Mackay has inevitably been sacked by Cardiff. Goodness knows who'd take that job now as it would most likely ruin their career, I suppose it'll be the first guy who'd be happy to take £40k a week plus a fat redundancy payoff when he gets booted from the club.

Heath
12-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Some news for you chaps, Malky Mackay has inevitably been sacked by Cardiff. Goodness knows who'd take that job now as it would most likely ruin their career, I suppose it'll be the first guy who'd be happy to take £40k a week plus a fat redundancy payoff when he gets booted from the club.

I'm just waiting for the call. Vincent was well up for me moving the club to North Wales. I pointed out that the only English-based teams there are Colwyn Bay (big up) and Wrexham, so there was an untapped market for a North Walian league team. I figure the fans won't mind.

So, our league losses this season have been against Sunderland (H) and Man City (A). Apparently we're fine with everything in between '3 points in the bag' and 'a draw will be a miracle.' For the benefit of Manus mentioning Everton having a great record against Swansea and me playing it down: we had an almost as good one against Sunderland!

Jess
12-29-2013, 12:41 AM
I have thoroughly enjoyed our current run of good form; but I am not optimistic that it will continue. January is coming, and I have to try and trust in Joe Kinnear....which is no easy feat, especially when he tries to sign players already at the club. :(

Psychotic
12-29-2013, 09:51 AM
To be fair, Joe didn't do you wrong with the Remy signing. I've got him in my work fantasy football team and he makes me very happy :) On the other hand, Yohan Kebab.

I'm just waiting for the call. Vincent was well up for me moving the club to North Wales. I pointed out that the only English-based teams there are Colwyn Bay (big up) and Wrexham, so there was an untapped market for a North Walian league team.Bugger off, I'm bringing Prestatyn Town into the Conference North.

Heath
01-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Bloody hell, Everton, don't do that to me.

To be fair, Joe didn't do you wrong with the Remy signing. I've got him in my work fantasy football team and he makes me very happy :) On the other hand, Yohan Kebab.

I'm just waiting for the call. Vincent was well up for me moving the club to North Wales. I pointed out that the only English-based teams there are Colwyn Bay (big up) and Wrexham, so there was an untapped market for a North Walian league team.Bugger off, I'm bringing Prestatyn Town into the Conference North.

Liverpool won today. Just thought I should let you know as you were probably keeping an eye on the thrilling local derby victory of Rhyl FC over Prestatyn Town.

Psychotic
01-01-2014, 10:31 PM
I fucking hate Rhyl. Prestatyn and Llandudno for life.

Heath
01-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Be careful, you'll start making me homesick!

Old Manus
01-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Sometimes I wish I could hear posts in their respective member's voice.

Cefn Cribwr FC represent

Psychotic
01-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Do you want to hear me say Welsh place names in my dirty English accent? It won't go well.

Also you will both disagree but having been to both North and South Wales twice each in the past year on business (admittedly I went to Cardiff both times in the south and not Swansea) I think the South is a lot grottier than the North and I'd rather live up North. That wasn't what I expected. Newport looked nice for about five minutes until the train went further into town.

Still, both are way better than the Midlands so :monster:

Loony BoB
01-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Didn't see the game yesterday, but saw the highlights, live text and the stats - we dominated well enough but got killed because our defence doesn't understand how to hold a line or form. Honestly, it was painful watching those highlights, every time we lost out our defence was all over the place. :( Rooney and Carrick being back but only two or three defenders? Why is that happening? How is that happening? Gah.

Old Manus
01-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't disagree at all, the south is a hotbed of grot and poverty. Also what are you talking about Cardiff is a metropolitan utopia compared to Neath and Swansea and when I started working here I genuinely couldn't get over how much nicer the place was.

I've never been further north than Welshpool (apart from Wrexham once or twice to play cricket against them (they have a very nice ground)

Psychotic
01-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Why is that happening? How is that happening? Gah.I have an answer for you but I'm afraid I'd sound like a broken record were I to post it. :p

Loony BoB
01-02-2014, 12:36 PM
No, I don't believe that a sole manager can suddenly render a ten-point title-winning side into trash. He should, however, be fixing it. But the players themselves should know better, absolutely. They are capable players who are not playing at their best at all. Also, Vidic is sadly not the player he once was. Guy can't be up there for headers (and he misses them, too - 10 corners, 0 goals from them) because he's too slow to get back to take care of any counter attack.

Psychotic
01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
See, you can write one or two players not playing as well as they should off as the players, but the whole team? Likewise, Vidic. Yeah, he's not the player he once was - well, there were some good CBs going in the Summer. Sakho and Lovren to name two.

"We'll keep going and try to win the next game and see where it takes us."That's what you'd expect from the manager of Norwich, not Manchester United.