PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft are removing XBOX ONE DRM

Aulayna
06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Kotaku Article as the XBOX site is currently down: http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

Hollycat
06-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Not yet confirmed, but I'd say it's likely as it was either that or never sell anything past the first wave. But what a sign of weakness man...

Still, good for them.
Xbox One Will Not Require Internet, Restrict Used Games - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/microsoft-reversing-xbox-one-internet-used-game-policies)

Polnareff
06-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Apparently Xbox One will also be region-free now too.

Aulayna
06-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Not yet confirmed, but I'd say it's likely as it was either that or never sell anything past the first wave. But what a sign of weakness man...

Still, good for them.
Xbox One Will Not Require Internet, Restrict Used Games - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/microsoft-reversing-xbox-one-internet-used-game-policies)

It's very much confirmed:
Your Feedback Matters ? Update on Xbox One (http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update)

Pike
06-19-2013, 10:07 PM
BREAKING: Microsoft introduces the Xbox 180

Del Murder
06-19-2013, 10:10 PM
I have three letters for Microsoft, two of them being l's.

Shauna
06-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Fair enough. Thought that they'd stick to their guns for longer than a week, but this was entirely inevitable.

Formalhaut
06-19-2013, 10:16 PM
The damage is done though I feel.

Karifean
06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Initially I found it hard to believe, but... wow. I... don't know what to say. Should I applaud their choice not to go through with their stupid plans or should I condemn them for having thought of them in the first place?

Hollycat
06-19-2013, 10:20 PM

Still, good for them.

It's very much confirmed:
Your Feedback Matters ? Update on Xbox One (http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update)

.... Wow. That's. That's quite shocking. G'donya Microsoft.

DMKA
06-19-2013, 10:22 PM
It's the right decision, all things considered, but can't undo the damage of making the terrible decisions in the first place.

Doesn't change required Kinect, lower system specs, three OSs for TV bs that wastes system resources, and being $100 more expensive, in a time when neither console has a very interesting lineup of exclusives. Not to mention, it doesn't change the fact that they've already showed their true colors as far as how they feel about their customers, and if not for the fact that there's a strong competing product being received better, would they have backpedaled like this.

Let me know when you get those fixed Microsoft. In the meantime the PC, PS4 and Wii U have my attention.

Signed,

An Xbox 360 Owner

Del Murder
06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Maybe in the short term, but people don't have long memories about these things. If XBone ends up having fun games then fans will be quick to forgive. There's hope for them.

This was really the only logical move for MS but it doesn't at all change my loyalty to Nintendo and Sony.

Pumpkin
06-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I still don't think I'd ever buy one. But at least they were willing to put aside their pride and make some changes on some of the issues that people were complaining about. Not sure if it's because they genuinely care about their customers, or just because they want to make more sales, but I guess I shouldn't complain about motive. It is a business after all.

Pike
06-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Maybe in the short term, but people don't have long memories about these things. If XBone ends up having fun games then fans will be quick to forgive.

This was really the only logical move for MS.

Agreed on all counts. Sure MS is getting all the ridicule right now, and for good reason too, but if they can turn this around and come out with a boatload of great games next year then I imagine a great many of these hecklers will be very quick to forgive.

(Not saying they will do this, of course, but I'm not discounting the possibility.)

Polnareff
06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
I should state that I'm pretty sure I know why this was done.

A couple days ago, some deployed military personnel found out about all the restrictions, and they pretty much let MS have it, and complained about the region lock, and the fact that deployed troops in Afghanistan, Japan, and other places wouldn't be able to use the One to play games. After all that backlash, an MS rep said they'd look into possibly changing some of those policies just for the troops.

Evastio
06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, I'm glad that they're taking the first step in appeasing the fans. Microsoft always struck me as bull headed and I thought they would've carried through with this at least one month after launch.

Either way, I wasn't planning on getting an XBox One. The only exclusive that really has my attention is the new Killer Instinct. I'm glad to see them using the franchises they got from buying Rare (I mean, it's a shame to spend millions of dollars buying Rare and not use their franchises). Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts was the last time they used Rare's franchises to my knowledge, which was quite a while ago.

Polnareff
06-19-2013, 10:35 PM
US Armed Forces angry over Xbox One lockout, Microsoft?s uncaring response | ExtremeTech (http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/159014-us-armed-forces-angry-over-xbox-one-lockout-microsofts-uncaring-response)

Shauna
06-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Maybe in the short term, but people don't have long memories about these things. If XBone ends up having fun games then fans will be quick to forgive.

This was really the only logical move for MS.

Agreed on all counts. Sure MS is getting all the ridicule right now, and for good reason too, but if they can turn this around and come out with a boatload of great games next year then I imagine a great many of these hecklers will be very quick to forgive.

(Not saying they will do this, of course, but I'm not discounting the possibility.)

Aye, if they pull out all the stops and ship out some amazing exclusives, then the Xbone has a chance to make it through.

A couple days ago, some deployed military personnel found out about all the restrictions, and they pretty much let MS have it, and complained about the region lock, and the fact that deployed troops in Afghanistan, Japan, and other places wouldn't be able to use the One to play games. After all that backlash, an MS rep said they'd look into possibly changing some of those policies just for the troops.

Eh. One of the many reasons, I'd think. The Xbone was getting slated from all corners, they needed to get back some positive reputation or else they were gonna get stomped on when it came to release. Amazon had a poll up and 97% of people said they were gonna get a PS4 over the XB1. They needed to turn this hate train around, and this was the only way to do it.

DMKA
06-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Sure MS is getting all the ridicule right now, and for good reason too, but if they can turn this around and come out with a boatload of great games next year then I imagine a great many of these hecklers will be very quick to forgive.

Oh but of course.

Remember how much hate the PS3 received upon it's announcement, it's release, and for it's first couple years on the market? Then their lineup of worthwhile titles started building, the price dropped, and everyone pretty much moved on from hating it and it caught it up to the competition.

I assume the Xbox One will follow a similar fate. That is, assuming they do build a good library and target gamers.

As it stands now, however, I still won't consider buying one. :p

Polnareff
06-20-2013, 01:00 AM

Eh. One of the many reasons, I'd think. The Xbone was getting slated from all corners, they needed to get back some positive reputation or else they were gonna get stomped on when it came to release. Amazon had a poll up and 97% of people said they were gonna get a PS4 over the XB1. They needed to turn this hate train around, and this was the only way to do it.

IMO, this military thing was the last straw. MS is mostly as American as you can get, and to have the military tell you you're screwing up had to be a huge low blow to them.

I mean, look at the link I posted, and one of the military personnel they interviewed was talking about how region lock will keep them from playing certain games. It was interesting he mentioned that because the original Xbox and 360 were both region-locked.

Before this post came up, nobody was complaining about the region lock on the Xbone or had even noticed it. All the hate was focused on the DRM and Kinect playing big brother. But now, 9 hours after this was posted, MS suddenly decides that the Xbox One will not be region-locked on top of not having DRM. I don't think this is a coincidence at all.

Croyles
06-20-2013, 01:53 AM
It's the right decision, all things considered, but can't undo the damage of making the terrible decisions in the first place.

Doesn't change required Kinect, lower system specs, three OSs for TV bs that wastes system resources, and being $100 more expensive, in a time when neither console has a very interesting lineup of exclusives. Not to mention, it doesn't change the fact that they've already showed their true colors as far as how they feel about their customers, and if not for the fact that there's a strong competing product being received better, would they have backpedaled like this.

Let me know when you get those fixed Microsoft. In the meantime the PC, PS4 and Wii U have my attention.

Signed,

An Xbox 360 Owner

Well said my friend. Now the XBox 180 has gone from complete no-no to a big maybe. In a year or two, if it has really good exclusives that I want, and Microsoft doesn't decide to do another 180, I will probably get one.

Co-signed,
Another 360 Owner

P.S I recommend watching how Giantbomb (along with 1 other news channel) got the news first, and what it might mean etc. Very interesting to me.
Giant Bomb Xbox One DRM Policy Update Reaction - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk3z8rKjpkg)

Quindiana Jones
06-20-2013, 04:26 AM
I love that the military is a big fan of the Xbox, the console most famously known for being very FPS-friendly. xD

I think the major issue with the Xbone is and was not the DRM bullshit, the wanky Kinect, the overpricing, the fact that it's desperately trying to be a jack of all trades whilst sacrificing the one thing it needs to be good etc. The main and most concerning problem is Microsoft's attitude. The fact that they could consider implementing and then try defending multiple anti-consumer policies is fucking insane, and a quick 180 doesn't change that at all. PS4 or PC are the only sensible options for gaming in the next generation (Picard preferred the WiiU, though).

Raistlin
06-20-2013, 05:13 AM
I can only hope Microsoft was in the process of implementing their old policies into now-defunct hardware, so that it faces some measurable financial cost for its stupidity. As is, their quick backpedal (and the XBone should forever be called the Xbox 180) likely means their sales on release will probably not be impacted by the original anti-consumer policies. People are stupid, and have very short attention spans.

Not that I was ever planning on getting an Xbox 180 in the first place, even before all this nonsense started. I likely won't even get a PS4 until a while after release (I just don't play enough new games to justify it, and a new laptop is a higher priority).

Goldenboko
06-20-2013, 05:50 AM

Signed,

An Xbox 360 Owner

The pathetic thing his how my facebook feed is lighting up with praise for Microsoft.

Quindiana Jones
06-20-2013, 06:37 AM
I also support the move from Xbone to Xbox 180.

Loony BoB
06-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Xbone will always be the noun for me, but Xbox 180 is definitely going to be the verb.

This is a good move by Microsoft. Still don't have a reason to by the console, though. And yeah, the military was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back - It isn't America that MS consider their "assured purchase zone". It's 'murricah (smurf YEAH). There's a difference, and you best believe that the military are the backbone of 'murricah (smurf YEAH).

Shauna
06-20-2013, 09:46 AM
CliffyB weighs in:

News: 'Sony forced Microsoft's hand, not the internet whining', says Bleszinski - ComputerAndVideoGames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415453/sony-forced-microsofts-hand-not-the-internet-whining-says-bleszinski/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS)

NeoCracker
06-20-2013, 10:50 AM
So Basically...

-Consumers had nothing to do with decisions, it was all Sony.

-It's Sony's fault publishers are going to start pushing Micro-Transactions and DLC more now.

-Used game market is evil.

Miss anything? :p

Yeah, I think this guy is kind of dumb.

Aulayna
06-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Gizmodo are looking at it from the other side of the fence again:

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905 (http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905)

NeoCracker
06-20-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm only on point 4, and pretty much everything he has said thus far has been horribly, horribly wrong.

Croyles
06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Cliffy B has been unemployed for quite a while now, but he has always been a complete tool.
It was the customers that made Sony not do what Microsoft was in the first place, you twit.

Gizmodo believes DRM will magically make games cheaper, that's pretty much all you need to know about them. :)

Slothy
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM
CliffyB weighs in:

News: 'Sony forced Microsoft's hand, not the internet whining', says Bleszinski - ComputerAndVideoGames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415453/sony-forced-microsofts-hand-not-the-internet-whining-says-bleszinski/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS)

CliffyB talking out of his ass as usual. I was kind of hoping that would have stopped when he left Epic. There aren't many individuals as outspoken as he is that are quite as full of shit in the industry.

Croyles
06-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Gizmodo are looking at it from the other side of the fence again:The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault (http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905)

This is the same guy who wrote an article entitled "You don't hate the Xbox One, you're just jealous". (I'm not posting the link, because it doesn't deserve the clicks)

Even IF what he says is true, that games will magically become cheaper that way and that it will pave the way for the "digital revolution", the consumers have spoken loud and clear, and Microsoft has backtracked as soon as it saw it not going their way.
Clearly their "vision" wasn't very strong to begin with. Their "vision" wasn't even as strong as the guy writing this idiotic article.
A company like that wouldn't have changed ANYTHING for the better.
Heck, the only reason Microsoft got into the console business in the first place was to make sure Sony would not have a monopoly on it, because THEY wanted that monopoly.

Let digital distribution happen naturally. The future won't be what Microsoft envisioned it would be.

Honestly, the best thing for the industry would probably be NEW companies coming into the console business and gain traction.

DMKA
06-20-2013, 04:23 PM
CliffyB weighs in:

Haha, that's the same guy that said that there's NO POSSIBLE WAY POOR DEVELOPERS CAN POSSIBLY MAKE MONEY WITH USED GAMES CONTINUING TO EXIST! on Twitter last week.

What an idiot.

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905
Also an idiot.

Bolivar
06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't think Microsoft was embracing the digital future as much as they were utterly terrified of it and refuse to let it happen unless they control exactly how it operates. The embracing hug seemed more like a strangling chokehold. None of my all-digital devices have those kinds of restrictions and I assume none really ever will. I originally thought MS had a next-generational Xbox Live whose features wouldn't be possible w/o an Internet connection but as time went on it seemed they had no such benefits to educate about and combined with the military slam there was no easy way out of this.

Unfortunately they still need to work on their first party infrastructure. They opened last Gen with Molyneaux and Sakaguchi under one roof and exclusives from Bioware and Square Enix. They simply can't compete with Sony and Nintendo with timed DLC anymore.

Psychotic
06-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Great news that these awful features have been removed. Still not getting one, though. Drop the price and perma kinect and then the decision will be a difficult one.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-20-2013, 09:18 PM
I've read the Gizmodo article just because my only friend on Facebook who was a staunch supporter of the Xbone linked it, saying "This sucks. You Playstation people suck. You're all whiners. I hope all of your consoles break." I think it's funny that he blames Playstation fans when it is just as much 360 fans that responded negatively to it.

I agree with the notion that Microsoft is more scared of a digital future than anything. The game sharing and such didn't need those restrictions. Even if they did, they could have implemented those restrictions just when games are being shared. But no, they decided if they couldn't have complete control, they were going to lose one of the few cool features the Xbone had.

I think they should have just stuck to their guns. I know in my mind I will always think "Well, what if they try to implement this again in the future?" They should have just played up the good features of the Xbone and not dwell so much on the restrictions. Sony didn't force their hand. The fans didn't either in the long run. Microsoft did it to themselves.

Slothy
06-21-2013, 12:32 AM
I've read the Gizmodo article just because my only friend on Facebook who was a staunch supporter of the Xbone linked it, saying "This sucks. You Playstation people suck. You're all whiners. I hope all of your consoles break." I think it's funny that he blames Playstation fans when it is just as much 360 fans that responded negatively to it.

I think it's funny he blames Playstation fans since the sort of die hard Playstation fans he's referring to probably didn't give a shit what Microsoft did with the Xbone. The only people affected were those interested in a new Xbox to begin with.

Croyles
06-21-2013, 12:44 AM

I think it's funny he blames Playstation fans since the sort of die hard Playstation fans he's referring to probably didn't give a trout what Microsoft did with the Xbone. The only people affected were those interested in a new Xbox to begin with.

Yep. I bet there are some idiotic Playstation fanboys that wanted Microsoft to keep their policies just so that Sony could sell more consoles = winning this gen (apparently), not realising it would poison the whole industry. Fanboys are short-sighted, not matter for what console.

Aulayna
06-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Well this is something at least.

EA Won't Bring Back Online Passes After Xbox 180 - IGN (http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/20/ea-wont-bring-back-online-passes-after-xbox-180)

Quindiana Jones
06-21-2013, 04:16 AM
In England, tuition fees for university tripled pretty much overnight. The law allowing this was made under the assumption that only certain courses would require additional funds from students, for the extra resources needed. Why anyone would assume that game developers would lower their prices because they know they'll get money from used sales is beyond me. Obviously, they'll continue to raise the price in addition to earning from used sales, dumbass.

More like Mild Wanger, amirite?

Raistlin
06-21-2013, 04:45 AM
Yeah, I have no idea why people assume companies would lower game prices. Prices are not set by companies trying to find the lowest possible price where they still make some profit; they're set at the price where companies make the most profit, which is generally as high as possible without significantly lowering demand. From the Gizmodo article:

Here is how this makes sense for YOU: New games could then be cheaper. Why? Publishers KNOW that they will not make money on resold games, so they charge more to you, the first buyer. You are paying for others' rights to use your game in the future. If the old system had gone into place, you would likely have seen game prices drop. Or, at the very least, it could have staved off price increases.

If Microsoft both could and would have significantly lowered new game prices, don't these people think M$ would have been throwing that in our faces from day one? Why did they open with regional locks and mandatory online and built-in kinect, instead of < $50 new games? Why was this inevitable result never made a big selling point by Microsoft for the original Xbone? Because these theories are nothing but bullshit fabrications.

Del Murder
06-21-2013, 04:47 AM
Game prices are set by supply and demand and profit maximization just like every other thing in the universe.

Shauna
06-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Pretty sure that Microsoft were ready to get Xbone games being sold at $60. ~Cheaper~

Or maybe that was PS4 games. Eh. I forget.

Loony BoB
06-21-2013, 09:59 AM
...isn't $60 normal? Dunno. £40 is normal over here, despite the odd game selling for £50.

EDIT: And regardless, it seems that it's the retailers that tend to decide such things, not the manufacturers. The prices vary dramatically between retailers, so surely it must be true...

Pike
06-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Good lord $60 is expensive for a videogame. I see AAA titles going for that on occasion when they're new and I will never, ever spend that much money on a game.

NeoCracker
06-21-2013, 10:58 AM
...isn't $60 normal? Dunno. £40 is normal over here, despite the odd game selling for £50.

EDIT: And regardless, it seems that it's the retailers that tend to decide such things, not the manufacturers. The prices vary dramatically between retailers, so surely it must be true...

Not sure about there, but int he US it's pretty damn universally 60$ for a new title, some more niche titles may come out at 50, such as the Atelier titles.

There is a bit here where publishers gouge most of that money leaving the retailers with hardly any of it, though to go much into that would start getting itno the debate on used games. :p

Croyles
06-21-2013, 12:35 PM
A lot of these people (Gizmodo) arguing for what Ms wanted to do seem to not realise that a pretty substantial amount money in the used game market funds further new game purchases, but yeah, the used game debate is a whole other issue.

Pumpkin
06-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Even Without DRM, You Still Shouldn?t Buy Xbox One | GenGAME (http://gengame.net/2013/06/even-without-drm-you-still-shouldnt-buy-xbox-one/)

I don't feel quite as passionately as the person who wrote this, but it's interesting to read.

Hollycat
06-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Even Without DRM, You Still Shouldn?t Buy Xbox One | GenGAME (http://gengame.net/2013/06/even-without-drm-you-still-shouldnt-buy-xbox-one/)

I don't feel quite as passionately as the person who wrote this, but it's interesting to read.

boogie said the same thing.

ZjgPGHI3vRU

Venom65437
06-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Still not buying one. I wouldn't trust them not to 180 again at a future date.

Dat Matt
06-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Cliffy B has been unemployed for quite a while now, but he has always been a complete tool.
It was the customers that made Sony not do what Microsoft was in the first place, you twit.

Gizmodo believes DRM will magically make games cheaper, that's pretty much all you need to know about them. :)

I recently tuned into the Giantbomb E3 coverage podcasts, and Cliffy B was a guest on one of them. He had suggested that he isn't working on anything just now based soley on the fact that he is at the turn of a new generation he wants to keep himself open until the one or the other system comes out on top, and then work on that console. Which is fair enough, aiming for that which makes the most money also makes him the most money.

I still believe he's wrong as hell though. Sony doing nothing differently from last generation was what encouraged microsoft to change the policies.

Personally, I disagred with the new policies, but I would have been willing to see how their change in polices affected the industry. The "all digital" future is inevitable as digital sales are ever increasing, and it costs less for publishers. I think microsoft, while were being too draconian in their approach were aiming to set the path for this future. They backed down too easily, and that was worse than these new polices. Shows they had no resolve.

Skyblade
06-24-2013, 12:53 AM

I recently tuned into the Giantbomb E3 coverage podcasts, and Cliffy B was a guest on one of them. He had suggested that he isn't working on anything just now based soley on the fact that he is at the turn of a new generation he wants to keep himself open until the one or the other system comes out on top, and then work on that console. Which is fair enough, aiming for that which makes the most money also makes him the most money.

I still believe he's wrong as hell though. Sony doing nothing differently from last generation was what encouraged microsoft to change the policies.

Personally, I disagred with the new policies, but I would have been willing to see how their change in polices affected the industry. The "all digital" future is inevitable as digital sales are ever increasing, and it costs less for publishers. I think microsoft, while were being too draconian in their approach were aiming to set the path for this future. They backed down too easily, and that was worse than these new polices. Shows they had no resolve.

So you think resolve is more important than intelligence or ability to respond to market demands?

Personally, I wish Microsoft had stuck with it just so the XBone would have crashed and burned. Until we get a serious example of how screwing your customers can destroy your business, it's going to continue. This has only delayed it.

And, frankly, none of Microsoft's hated policies had anything to do with digital distribution.

Formalhaut
06-24-2013, 01:05 AM
To put it simply, Microsoft was damned if they continued, and damned if they relented.