PDA

View Full Version : Pet food

Madame Adequate
06-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Ever tried it? How was it?

I tried a cat biscuit once but it just tasted like fish food smells. This may be why cats like fish food.

Miriel
06-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I bought my dogs some doggie cookies the other day and it seriously smelled like regular vanilla cookies. I wanted to take a bite but I didn't!

I feed my dogs human grade food so I could eat it and it should be fine. But I've never actually tried it. This is the ingredients list on my dog's food:

Chicken, organic flaxseed, potatoes, celery, sweet potatoes, apples, organic alfalfa, organic kelp, honey, pumpkin, green beans, cabbage, bananas, papayas, basil, garlic, rosemary extract, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.

My dogs are fancy.

Madame Adequate
06-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Jesus christ Hannah do you have to get a pro chef like Gordon Ramsay in to prepare their meals with all those ingredients? :p

I don't know if it's the same over there but here all pet food has to be suitable for human consumption, a holdover from the Cold War when we figured we'd be fighting over cans of dog food after the bombs fell.

Pike
06-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Everyone at the pet store I worked at had, at some point, tried a dog biscuit.

(they taste like chicken crackers, btw)

Edit: I can also tell from Miriel's list that she buys super high-quality dog food! :jess: (Another hold-over from my pet store days is learning about ingredients and quality and such)

Madame Adequate
06-20-2013, 12:04 AM
This may be a cheap way to get some chicken crackers.

Denmark
06-20-2013, 12:05 AM
I have a rabbit. I've eaten some of his food. That is, the fresh veggies I give him, since they're taken from what I eat :p

I haven't tried his pellets. They're primarily alfalfa, which I think would taste like hay. Not for me.

Miriel
06-20-2013, 12:19 AM
I feed them this awesome stuff:

All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen (http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/)

It's more expensive than regular dog food (and it makes them poop more!), BUT, they regularly have sales. So I picked up like 4 boxes of food when they had their 20% off sale, and then I supplement it with Wellness Core (http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/categories.aspx?pet=dog&cat=2) which is a grain free dog food brand.

I don't know if it's the same over there but here all pet food has to be suitable for human consumption, a holdover from the Cold War when we figured we'd be fighting over cans of dog food after the bombs fell.

That's good! The terrible thing about a lot of dog food brands in the US is that so much of it is utter crap and horrible for dogs, let alone for humans. :( It actually pains me when I see people buying brands like pedigree for their dogs. Noooooo.

And yeah, I definitely considered the fact that having dehydrated dog food would be a good thing if we were in an end of times scenario. :p

Pike
06-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Yeah Wellness is great, and I hate when people think crappy pet food brands are good. (See: Science Diet. Science Diet is crap and vets only recommend it because the Science Diet guys keep giving them free stuff if they do it.)

Jinx
06-20-2013, 12:23 AM
My dogs have to eat gluten free dog food because 2/3 are sensitive to dog foods with wheat in them. x)

Miriel
06-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Wellness Core is gluten free! What brand do you use?

Jinx
06-20-2013, 12:29 AM
I just checked and it is called Just 6.

noxious.sunshine
06-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Not sure what my sister feeds her dogs (cavalier king charles spaniels), but I know they give them like unflavored Quaker Rice Cakes, green beans, watermelon as a treat on their birthdays, stuff like that.

My parents will only feed their dogs Puppy Chow. My dog would -only- eat Puppy Chow until they came out with the Little Bites and he finally adjusted to that. I agree. It's gross for dogs. -_-;

We're planning on getting a Newfoundland in the next few months, so what -are- the best brands? Keep in mind, Newfies get up to like 175 - 200 lbs, so something that's not gonna totally break the bank.

I ate a Begg'n Strip one time when I was little. As a dare. bleh.

Night Fury
06-20-2013, 10:47 AM
My doggies eat raw meat. I'm not trying that. My least favourite to dish up for them is tripe. That stuff STINKS.

They also get supplementy things and then they also get raw bones and carcasses and shizz.

noxious.sunshine
06-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Tripe is nasty in general. Especially cooked. omg.

Shorty
06-24-2013, 12:07 AM
No, I would not try my pet's food.

Madame Adequate
06-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Yeah, you shouldn't have ideas about your station :greenie:

Slothy
06-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Yeah, you shouldn't have ideas about your station :greenie:

She is named THE WORST.

Sorry hun. :gator:

fire_of_avalon
06-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Miriel, looking at the cost of that food, wouldn't it be cheaper just to invest in a food processor and dehydrator and make your own?

My dogs get Natural Way, which has Lassie on the front and has too much rice in it, but at least there's no corn. They also get some people foods, mainly beef and chicken.

Pike
06-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Miriel, looking at the cost of that food, wouldn't it be cheaper just to invest in a food processor and dehydrator and make your own?

Trying to sort out the proper vitamins and minerals and quantities of them would require a lot of work. It's not worth it to do this most of the time.

Miriel
06-24-2013, 07:26 PM

My dogs get Natural Way, which has Lassie on the front and has too much rice in it, but at least there's no corn. They also get some people foods, mainly beef and chicken.

Well, I got their food while Honest Kitchen was having one of their big sales, so it came out to be about $60 per 10lb box. Each box lasts at least 2 months, because I supplement with Wellness Core.

Not sure how much it would cost to get meat/veggies/fruit for 2 months for dogs, plus all the various supplements that go into the meal as well.

PLUS, time is money, yo!

If I were going to do it all myself, I would just switch to the raw meat diet which I've heard is the most beneficial for dogs.

Pike
06-24-2013, 07:38 PM
The raw meat diet is actually super controversial - I don't think any major veterinary association has endorsed it and a few have advised against it.

Miriel
06-24-2013, 08:35 PM
I could tell you story after story about dealing with incompetent vets (first hand stories!). I don't trust vets!!

Well, no, I trust them for certain things. But I've just had a long history with vets not knowing what they're talking and you touched on it a little bit in one of your earlier posts about how vets will endorse certain food products simply because they're being paid to do so.

I know there are lots of people who staunchly support raw, and others who think it will kill your dog. I think mostly you just have to figure out what works for your dogs.

My dogs have done really well with freeze dried raw foods, and in general, they LOVE raw beef and have never ever had any problems with it. I temporarily switched to freeze dried raw foods when Charlie started having allergies and I was trying to figure out if it was in his kibble. The cost of going raw and the lack of freezer space are the two big reasons why I haven't really committed to it for long term.

Also, Del Murder can stand only a certain amount of pampering for the dogs. He thinks I spoil them as it is. :p

Pumpkin
06-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Raw meet CAN be good, but if done wrong is just awful. My mom wasn't careful and strict enough about suppliments WITH his raw meet and he died of kidney failure/starvation. I cannot tell you the horror of what he had to go through his last few days and I cannot express my anger towards her for this.

Not saying you would be irresponsible, just be careful with it.

Chris
06-24-2013, 09:06 PM
to answer the title thread: yes i'd eat my pets

Miriel
06-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Raw meet CAN be good, but if done wrong is just awful. My mom wasn't careful and strict enough about suppliments WITH his raw meet and he died of kidney failure/starvation. I cannot tell you the horror of what he had to go through his last few days and I cannot express my anger towards her for this.

Oh no! That's terrible. :( Was it Rabbit Starvation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation)?

Pumpkin
06-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Seems like it.

He started coughing up blood and puking with blood in it and having seizures. Then he started eating less and less (we assumed it was because it hurt him so much) and he slowly starved. My mom brought him to the vet and they said his kidney's were failing and it was so far apart, he wouldn't recover and suggested he be put down. I hate putting animals down but I could see he was sadly beyond the point of recovery and all we were doing was prolonging his suffering. My mom brought him home to consider it. Then he ate one more meal and she took too much faith in it and didn't get him put down. We spent the next two days listening to him whine and have trouble breathing and by that point you could see his ribs and it was just so so so awful.

I don't want any other dogs or their owners to go through this. There were days she tried to give him supplements and he was stubborn and refused so she gave in and gave him more meat. It literally was the difference between life and death. So I advice everyone who goes for the raw food diet to be very sure they're getting everything they need.