PDA

View Full Version : I wanna Fan remake VII, anyone else?

jesparchaos
06-20-2013, 05:58 PM
You know, I have been thinking about this for years. After seeing how successful b (http://www.blackmesasource.com/)lack mesa source did (I can't link it, too new of a member), I though it would be a fun side project. I am a game developer and know my way around a couple of game engines :). Was wondering who else would be interested? My only concern is that square has shut down fan projects before. I was hoping that if permission was asked ahead of time and since:
A) it would obviosuly take a loooonnngg time to do it, and
B) Square made it clear they wont remake it anytime soon

Anyway, I was just curious who would be interested? With some of the tools today, I really dont see this being too difficult to do, just would take a very long time to make it look good, even with a ton of people.

Mirage
06-20-2013, 06:05 PM
You want to fan remake?

In either case, I don't, really. It is pretty unrealistic to expect fans to make anything that would be a good remake anyway. There is an incredible amount of assets that would need to be made.

jesparchaos
06-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Ya it would, but I am looking at it as a hobby. If it takes forever, that's ok. I am not trying to get it out next year, I just think it would be fun to see some of these areas in full 3D. With engines like Unity, a good chunk of the work is just making the assets, which I know people already do just for fun anyway.

And look at black mesa, that was a fan project. It looks amazing.

Jinx
06-20-2013, 06:46 PM
C&D, brah

C&D

Mercen-X
06-20-2013, 09:19 PM
The whole copyright issue is the reason I changed all of my fanfics so drastically. None of the original characters exist in name or design, it's a different world with a similar layout with different cities with similar purposes. The same is true for my KH fanfic. Different world, different characters, different plot. While my intentions in the beginning were simply to fix the plot holes of the originals, I now fully expect to publish my stories as standalone works. I've tried three times to build a game from the ground up with a group. The closest I got was with Magixion and NeoTifa but everyone bailed on that. It's sad because BG-57 had quite an epic tale to tell.

Mirage
06-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Ya it would, but I am looking at it as a hobby. If it takes forever, that's ok. I am not trying to get it out next year, I just think it would be fun to see some of these areas in full 3D. With engines like Unity, a good chunk of the work is just making the assets, which I know people already do just for fun anyway.

And look at black mesa, that was a fan project. It looks amazing.
Not trying to get it out next year? I think getting it out even this decade is an unrealistic goal, if you want it to look good and polished. :p

jesparchaos
06-21-2013, 02:56 AM
Guess I enjoy stuff like that. I could see myself working on it for years on my free time... whatever free time I actually have.