PDA

View Full Version : Your Overall Impression of Tidus

Karifean
06-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Tidus is possibly the most polarizing character in the series. He's one of the most overall hated characters, but there are a lot of people who either didn't mind him or liked him. Now, I know I'm asking this question on a forum that voted Tidus as the most annoying character in the series, but I'd still like to see the overall impression people have of Tidus.

Is it positive or negative?

FFfreak1
06-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Tidus is actually my favorite character in the whole Final Fantasy series. I never understood why people hated him. I also liked that his personality was cheerful and happy, unlike Cloud and Squall. So yes, my view of him is positive.

The Man
06-23-2013, 12:00 AM
No "neutral" option? He started out pretty damn annoying, but got better as the game went on.

Pike
06-23-2013, 12:01 AM
I love Tidus. He reminds me of myself because he's a complete dork who has no idea how to be social.

Pumpkin
06-23-2013, 12:11 AM
I didn't like him very much. He kind of annoyed me. He made me feel like he was a 12 year old who couldn't get over his father issues. I have had people do worse to me than his father did and I don't feel the need to get upset at every mention of their name. Also, I found him quite rude at times. He's adapting to a new culture, you need to respect it until you become more knowledgeable about it. He gave the impression that he hardly even cared.

Formalhaut
06-23-2013, 06:01 PM
I didn't like him very much. He kind of annoyed me. He made me feel like he was a 12 year old who couldn't get over his father issues. I have had people do worse to me than his father did and I don't feel the need to get upset at every mention of their name. Also, I found him quite rude at times. He's adapting to a new culture, you need to respect it until you become more knowledgeable about it. He gave the impression that he hardly even cared.

That moment in Besaid where he goes into the Cloister of Trials and he says "See if I care!". Ohhhh that got me annoyed. He definitely wasn't very subtle and try to blend in. He stuck out like a sore thumb with his antics.

Also, I didn't like everyone just sort of forgets about his transgression as well. He goes into the Trials without being a guardian, and even enters the antechamber without being a guardian. After that, everyone sort of forgets about it. If this was the modern day, there'd be security jumping on him thinking he was going to assassinate the summoner or something.

Fynn
06-23-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't like it when one event in the game makes a character do a 180 in their behavior and then people laud it as great character development.

Fuck this guy.

Karifean
06-23-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm surprised at the overall positivity. I'd have expected this poll to turn out pretty much the opposite way.

And to the "adapt to the culture, goddammit" criticism, I feel like his actions are very understandable and natural given the circumstances and Tidus' origin - so I can't fault him for it and tbh, I don't get annoyed by it at all.

Jinx
06-23-2013, 10:31 PM
I don't like it when one event in the game makes a character do a 180 in their behavior and then people laud it as great character development.

smurf this guy.

Boom! Like happy festival fireworks, ya?

Forsaken Lover
06-24-2013, 03:56 AM

smurf this guy.

...I don't think that ever happened to Tidus.

Fynn
06-24-2013, 05:21 AM

smurf this guy.

Well, too bad.

Skyblade
06-24-2013, 05:34 AM

smurf this guy.

Well, too bad.

You might take a moment to explain the event you are referring to. :D

It's easier to discuss that way.

Hambone
06-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Maybe the big reveal at Home?

Sorry, but I really like Tidus and I always have. He comes off as whiny and immature, but I would think that those are both completely understandable characteristics for someone who's only seventeen and was torn away from his world and into another. I know I personally would be pretty smurfing freaked out. That and having to adjust to the completely foreign customs and world of Spira are relatively reasonable impetuses for Tidus's commonly criticized bitching, rash behavior, and impulsiveness. Let's not forget that we're led to believe he's kind of a bratty rich kid, a stereotype for a young celebrity like he is.

Also, Tidus's character traits are a key driver of the plot; if Tidus hadn't actively questioned and his impulsive actions didn't help lead to a chain of events that eventually exposed the hypocrisy and false traditions of Yevon, who knows how long the Spiral of Death would've continued? I'm not saying that Tidus single-handedly was the hero and saved Spira through being a whiny bitch, but the way he acts throughout the game does serve as a sort of catalyst for the rest of the party's actions, which in turn advances the plot and the pilgrimage. Yuna's pilgrimage would've been completely unremarkable, futile, and Sin would continue to be reborn without some of the stuff that occurs because of Tidus's "character flaws."

Fynn
06-24-2013, 08:13 AM

smurf this guy.

Well, too bad.

Didn't mean to discuss anything, anyway :D

Here's my gripe. He's a whiny bitch throughout the game, narcissistic, self-centered, really dumb. Suddenly, he finds out Yuna will die and he isn't real. Whoopty-do. The next thing you know, he's a selfless hero, sacrificing himself for others, a mature adult and all that whatnot.

The worst thing is, this could have actually worked, if it had all progressed more smoothly, had his psyche been developed more. A similar change happened to Squall, but because we got to see all of his thoughts, you could see how natural this progression went. Here it's just a switch, and once flipped, our coming-of-age story hero has now learned a lesson.

Loony BoB
06-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I found him annoying.

Omni-Odin
06-24-2013, 04:32 PM

smurf this guy.

Well, too bad.

Here's my gripe. He's a whiny bitch throughout the game, narcissistic, self-centered, really dumb. Suddenly, he finds out Yuna will die and he isn't real. Whoopty-do. The next thing you know, he's a selfless hero, sacrificing himself for others, a mature adult and all that whatnot.

The worst thing is, this could have actually worked, if it had all progressed more smoothly, had his psyche been developed more. A similar change happened to Squall, but because we got to see all of his thoughts, you could see how natural this progression went. Here it's just a switch, and once flipped, our coming-of-age story hero has now learned a lesson.

I can't really agree with this. I feel like every place you go, everything he sees, you can almost hear the tone of his voice changing. I think the first moment you get this is the Kilika incident. He lives in a place of riches and extravagance. He was like the Tom Brady of his world. The first portion of the game, Tidus is just a guy trying to figure out what the F is going on and why. After he begins to realize his situation is becoming more or less permanent (around the time he gets on the boat with Yuna and co.), he finally starts to take a look around him. When he gets to Kilika and sees the tragedies of this very real world, Yuna and company's faith and beliefs lead him to take more notice. Kilika is a very somber moment for the protagonist and happens well before the event you're describing.

Next, are the events in Luca. I know many people think this part doesn't mean much. However, I think it's one of the bigger plot points in the game for Tidus. And no, I'm not talking about Yuna's kidnapping. When Tidus bows out of the Blitzball game so Wakka could take over and have his last hurrah, I think is when he really took notice of how selfish he'd been in the spotlight. This moment shows the bonds he's begun to make with his friends.

Then, of course, is Guadosalom (sp) and the Farplane. This is another big moment for Tidus. He sees he's not the only one with problems. The others celebrate the fallen family members and friends around them, cherishing every moment they can have even though many of these characters had little useless quarrels with their loved ones as Tidus and his father did, they were put aside. Tidus understands his more and more as the story goes on and I feel around now begins to learn that it's not worth it to hold a grudge. As smart men say, holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other guy to die.

I didn't mean to rant, but there's more character development for Tidus then for pretty much every main protaginist save maybe Cloud, Locke (there was no character development for Terra, don't care what anyone says, terrible character who I cared nothing for), and Squall. If there's anything wrong with this game, to me, it's definitely not Tidus. People just don't like him. Whatever, but to say that this game had only one moment of character change is ridiculous.

Fynn
06-24-2013, 05:51 PM

smurf this guy.

Well, too bad.

I can't really agree with this. I feel like every place you go, everything he sees, you can almost hear the tone of his voice changing. I think the first moment you get this is the Kilika incident. He lives in a place of riches and extravagance. He was like the Tom Brady of his world. The first portion of the game, Tidus is just a guy trying to figure out what the F is going on and why. After he begins to realize his situation is becoming more or less permanent (around the time he gets on the boat with Yuna and co.), he finally starts to take a look around him. When he gets to Kilika and sees the tragedies of this very real world, Yuna and company's faith and beliefs lead him to take more notice. Kilika is a very somber moment for the protagonist and happens well before the event you're describing.

Next, are the events in Luca. I know many people think this part doesn't mean much. However, I think it's one of the bigger plot points in the game for Tidus. And no, I'm not talking about Yuna's kidnapping. When Tidus bows out of the Blitzball game so Wakka could take over and have his last hurrah, I think is when he really took notice of how selfish he'd been in the spotlight. This moment shows the bonds he's begun to make with his friends.

Then, of course, is Guadosalom (sp) and the Farplane. This is another big moment for Tidus. He sees he's not the only one with problems. The others celebrate the fallen family members and friends around them, cherishing every moment they can have even though many of these characters had little useless quarrels with their loved ones as Tidus and his father did, they were put aside. Tidus understands his more and more as the story goes on and I feel around now begins to learn that it's not worth it to hold a grudge. As smart men say, holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other guy to die.

I didn't mean to rant, but there's more character development for Tidus then for pretty much every main protaginist save maybe Cloud, Locke (there was no character development for Terra, don't care what anyone says, terrible character who I cared nothing for), and Squall. If there's anything wrong with this game, to me, it's definitely not Tidus. People just don't like him. Whatever, but to say that this game had only one moment of character change is ridiculous.

I disagree. The thoughts we hear from Tidus are narrated from the point of view of him after his "character development", when he's this awesome selfless hero and sees what a douche he was. He remains as clueless and dumb and inconsiderate as ever before the wham episode. And every time you actually see him break down in the moments you mention, next scene he's A-OK and ready to embarass himself again. I'm sorry, but for me a person whose attention span is so short and who cannot reflect meaningfully on the experience he's having until one of them suddenly makes him selfless, for whatever reason, is not a believable character with believable development. So yeah, that's how I see it.

Also, Terra's development was awesome, and I cannot fathom how you can't see it :D From the start she has issues with feeling love and the people she meets help her get a broader picture of it every time something happens. After the catastrophe, she becomes a mother to the orphans and this becomes her main motivation to make the world a better place again. IMO, that is great payoff.

Omni-Odin
06-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Well let me be frank about that. I thought pretty much all the characters were shallow in VI except maybe Cyan for obvious reasons. All I can remember about Terra was that she was a lost little puppy until she has her spaz out "I'm a monster" moments. I really thought Terra was much more annoying than Tidus and I couldn't fathom how people can cling to a character like her.

And the catastrophe. You want to talk about a turn of the switch character moment that you're so opposed to. This is like the epitome of it in the FF series.

But that's to each his own, I guess. Didn't mean to get so into it about FFVI as this is a Tidus thread. But if you don't like him, that's to each his own. I guess I felt a sort of attachment to Tidus that I didn't to Terra, or most of the FFVI party (save Cyan).

Jinx
06-24-2013, 07:01 PM
"Macarena Temple"

Vyk
06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Hate. His naive self-centered entitlement complex didn't mix with the plot or his role very well. He was constantly under the mistaken presumption that he was the central character in the plot. This is not your story. And whiney'ness doesn't help reconcile my hate. Only reaffirms it

Pumpkin
06-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah that always bugged me too. How about it's not your story and it's not always about you. Heck they could have left him out completely and come up with the same end result.

He had some good moments, don't get me wrong, but overall the type of guy that I wouldn't want to spend anytime alone with in case he decides he wants to speak and I accidentally mention the word dad or father.

Fynn
06-24-2013, 07:25 PM
And the catastrophe. You want to talk about a turn of the switch character moment that you're so opposed to. This is like the epitome of it in the FF series.

Yeah, I know this part if the discussion is over, but I just wanted to point out that a year passes before we reunite with Terra, so this change is highly believable. And no, such in-you-face writing is not the epitome of subtlety. Vi, VII, IX, XII and many others had many precious subtle moments. The reason I like X the least (I do NOT hate it) out of all the FFs that I have played is its lack of subtlety. Its message is anvilicious as fuck and Tidus embodies this total lack of subtlety the most.

Anyway, fun discussion, man :D I respect your opinion.

But still, fuck this guy.

Lionblade
08-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Hate. His naive self-centered entitlement complex didn't mix with the plot or his role very well. He was constantly under the mistaken presumption that he was the central character in the plot. This is not your story. And whiney'ness doesn't help reconcile my hate. Only reaffirms it

So him being Jecht's son isn't reason enough? Seems a good enough reason to me. The story is told through his eyes, anyway.

I really don't understand how people can complain that he's self-centered. Yeah, he is, but you're complaining about that? Are you sure you played VII and VIII? Besides, it works for Tidus's character - he's supposed to be a little douche, at least at first. And he's socially oblivious and blunt, which is a nice departure from protagonists like Squall and Cloud.

Spooniest
08-04-2013, 03:33 PM
When it comes to an "impression," you're talking about how I perceived the character.

While he may be a well-written character, with good motivations and a great attitude, who accomplishes great things, my perception of him is ultimately colored by the terrible, terrible dub job.

Raistlin
08-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Annoying, immature, self-absorbed, whiny, and with stupid clothes.

So "negative."

Lionblade
08-05-2013, 05:57 AM
When it comes to an "impression," you're talking about how I perceived the character.

While he may be a well-written character, with good motivations and a great attitude, who accomplishes great things, my perception of him is ultimately colored by the terrible, terrible dub job.

I don't agree with that at all.

While some of his lines are absolutely horrid (see the infamous laughing scene, for example), Tidus was a rather well done set, especially in his retrospectives. I don't think it's fair to say that James Taylor did a sub-par job even if you don't like his character...

...Because Yuna was a thousand times worse.

pederloo
08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't know how you could play the game without liking Tidus at least a little bit.

Jiro
08-05-2013, 11:49 AM
He is a bit of a pain in the ass, isn't he? Takes a while to get to like the character, and I found it really jarring how narrator-Tidus is so much less of an obnoxious douchebag and in-game flashback Tidus was just such a whiny :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I mean, it fits the character and he develops well but holy fuck can you really just walk around being such a dick? Try sitting and being introspective to figure out this new world instead of shitting all over everything xD

Lionblade
08-06-2013, 04:42 PM
I mean, it fits the character and he develops well but holy smurf can you really just walk around being such a dick? Try sitting and being introspective to figure out this new world instead of troutting all over everything xD

He is a famous teenager, after all.

We've all seen what Justin Bieber has become...

ThornQueen
08-07-2013, 07:37 AM
I'll be honest, when I first started up FFX I couldn't relate to Tidus in the least and was rather put-off by him; however, that's how he was designed. He is supposed to a whiney-ass, annoying little prick and certain characters like Lulu and Auron call him on his crap.

I voted positive, because I felt real solid progression from the character and I slowly grew more attached to him as he begun to change and grow as a character. After completing FFX, Tidus jumped to one of my favorite characters in the series.

Jiro
08-08-2013, 07:27 PM
I mean, it fits the character and he develops well but holy smurf can you really just walk around being such a dick? Try sitting and being introspective to figure out this new world instead of troutting all over everything xD

He is a famous teenager, after all.

We've all seen what Justin Bieber has become...

That's a fair point, though not one I'm happy about. These asshole kids with gigantic egos, they make me angry!

Omni-Odin
08-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Hey I know it's been a while since this thread has been posted on, but anyone think Johnny Manziel (if you live in America and like sports) has been kind of what you'd imagine Tidus to be like before he left for Spira? I think it's a good comparison.

SCZhuge13
08-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Tidus definitely comes off as somewhat annoying to begin with but that's intended, if not also thematically honest. He's a 17-year-old sports star famous throughout his utopia world. Outside of his daddy issues? He's on top of life! I mean, just look at his interaction with the two girls at the start of the game. It's a quick read into Tidus's mindset and worldview. Everything's right there.

Then he's thrown into a completely unfamiliar world where death is everywhere and he doesn't know a thing about the people, the society, politics...anything. So he reacts the only way he knows how: he asks the awkward/dumb questions, he challenges the status quo ("Why does everyone accept death so easily?") and tries to help where he can, though obviously it comes off as blunt and somewhat obvious/impolite at times. Because it is. How are you going to ask "What's a Sending?" and not implicitly offend literally everyone there?

Then Tidus starts realizing that this new world is a very real place that he's going to have to deal with for awhile and where the people have to deal with the reality of death on a day to day basis. And on top of that? He starts falling in love with a girl whose own background seems to imply a connection back to Zanarkand (Jecht and the stories she knows from him). Between the reality check he experiences by way of Spira itself and his coming to care for a girl on what's essentially a death march, Tidus grows up. He changes.

And I for one can't really find this "magic 180 moment" that people are talking about where he "suddenly" switches from the arrogant/idiot sports star to the mature, selfelsss hero. I watched the entire game via the "Watch FFX as a movie!" videos on youtube three weeks ago and, again, I couldn't see it.

What I did see is an arrogant young man slowly realize he can't go home ("That's up to Jecht") and accept he's going to have to deal. And when he does, he starts changing ("We gotta help the Chocobos! It's the right thing to do."), though in my opinion he really started changing when he got talking to Yuna on the boat - his embarassment at her watching him demonstrate the Jecht Shot shows that he's starting to care what other people think of him, even if it is by way of a boyhood crush.

So yeah. Tidus is supposed to come off as annoying to start with. If he wasn't, the character growth he experiences over the course of the entire game wouldn't count for anything, nor would the reverse-sacrifice plot that happens at the end of the game (if he was still the annoying idiot there wouldn't be gravity to his loss. And yet there is). So if you still think he's annoying or is a bad character by the end of FF X then I think you and I played two different games.

Add my vote to the "Positive" side!

Ayen
10-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I didn't mind him as much as other people did. He's the fish out of water, eyes on the outside looking in along with the player. I can appreciate his role in the game and the plots around him. At most he provoked the occasional facepalm and made me feel embarrassed for the group. But nothing to make me dislike or hate him.

Elskidor
10-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I found him annoying.

It's that simple for me too. My overall view on FFX has actually gotten much better over the years, and I actually like the game a heck of a lot better than I did when it was released, but Tidus is still annoying as ever. Changing the voice actor would probably help a ton, but he's just written as a very annoying kid.

Electroshock Therapy
11-17-2013, 06:23 PM
I like that he was unlikable. Not a bad person, just whiney and completely out of his element. Over the course the game, he grows up. I think it made his story all the more rewarding.

Rocket Edge
11-27-2013, 03:45 PM
I liked his character. His voice I didn't find annoying either at all.

black orb
12-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Annoying, immature, self-absorbed, whiny, and with stupid clothes.

>>> That, and a blitzball player.. All that is exactly what make him great in my book..:luca: