PDA

View Full Version : It's time for our yearly Mario thread!

Aulayna
06-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Discuss the Italian Plumber you either love or hate!

Do you perfer the platformers or are you a sucker for the sports games and party games?

Which Mario is your favourite Mario?

Dat Matt
06-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Mario Kart is paired with Zelda for my favorite franchise from Nintendo. While I like playing mario games, I tend not to go out my way to play them unless I'm "in the mood for a platformer". There are times you just fancy a good platformer and Mario is one of the few that are still around in this blaze of shooter games.

In that vein, I played through all of Super Mario 3D land recently, and I had a great time with it, and I intend to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 after finishing FF13=2.

New super mario brothers has never grabbed me. It really there was a decent gap between the series, but with the release of "New Super Mario Brothers 2", "New Super Mario Brothers Wii U" and now "New Super Luigi U" all in quick succession, I just don't care for that anymore.

Pumpkin
06-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Mario Tennis is my favorite and I <3 Yoshi and Daisy.

Pike
06-24-2013, 12:32 AM
If Yoshi's Island counts as a Mario game then that is my favorite, hands down.

If Super Mario RPG counts as a Mario game then that is my favorite.

Otherwise, it's a tossup between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. I'll probably have to go with SMB3. It's quirkier.

Bolivar
06-24-2013, 01:27 AM
Been playing a lot of super mario 3d land recently like shauna, and it's a very wonderful game. I'll probably grab NSMB2 for my 3DS as well after I'm done, but I also wish they had waited between releases, instead of using it as a go-to first party exclusive, with the Wii and Wii U versions.

My favorite's probably Super Mario Bros. 3. It's sometimes hard to believe it was an NES game and it was such a cultural phenomenon, too.

Formalhaut
06-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Yoshi's Island. My god how I miss that game. Easily my favourite. It's just soo cute. Not to mention fun to play too.

I've not played either of the Galaxy series of games, but they look awesome, and I'd love to play them. Mario Kart is just amazing, as it's just a communal, fun game. Of the other games, 64 is very good. 3D Land is fairly good, but I found it rather easy to be honest, easier than other Mario games.

Del Murder
06-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Super Mario Bros. changed my life forever, and then SMB3 changed it again. Pretty much all of the Mario games are excellent and groundbreaking in their own way.

SMB3 is my favorite, though Yohsi's Island is pretty much as close to perfection as you could get for a platformer.

Where would 2D platforming be with out SMB or later SMB3?
Where would 3D platforming be with Super Mario 64? Man, that was a great game.

The Galaxy games were great too, they were a better follow up to SM64 than Mario Sunshine. So far the Wii U is lacking that groundbreaking Mario title to make it worth owning. New Super Mario Bros. Wii U looks ok but nothing new. The original New Super Mario Bros. for DS was great though and it was a very wise decision by Nintendo to take the Mario series back to its 2D roots. It paid off big for them.

Agent Proto
06-24-2013, 06:03 AM
I prefer the Mario Karts over the typical Mario games. I also enjoy the Mario sports games as well! However, I do vastly enjoy the Mario and Luigi RPGs, and the Paper Mario series!

Evastio
06-26-2013, 05:10 PM
2D Mario and Mario Kart are my personal favourites. Although I wasn't very fond of Super Mario 64 for some reason, I actually enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy a lot.

And I don't see what all the outrage is about regarding NSMB2 and NSMBU's short release span. They're on two different consoles, and it's not like they've been making yearly releases for NSMB in the past decade. I also don't see the problem with one release on each Nintendo console. It's practically a given and expected for series like Mario Kart. NSLU is also DLC, so I wouldn't really call that a new release. I even got NSLU at launch and 100% it in two days. The levels are much shorter but much harder, so I'd hardly call it a new game, even if they are selling a retail version of it.

I can't say much about NSMB2 since I haven't personally played it, but NSMBU, even though it still sticks with the same NSMB mechanics, did quite a lot to make the game feel fresh compared to the previous NSMB games. They added an integrated world map that's non-linear, challenge mode which extends the game life by a lot (I still haven't got Gold on all the Challenges and I got the game at launch), Boost Mode which really adds a new level of depth to the game when you try to control Mario and add Boost Mode Blocks at the same time (it's quite tricky to learn at first), and the level design is much more dynamic and hectic (even the first level is loaded with enemies and shifting floors, and practically all the levels have shifting floors and platforms).

Challenge Mode itself gave the game a fresh feel since it changes around the rules of Mario, like how getting 5 or more coins will kill you in some challenges. Even the earlier challenges are quite difficult, but it's hard in a fun way where you want to keep trying again after you die. The Challenge goals themselves range from speedruns, getting as many coins as possible, getting as few coins as possible, getting as many 1UPs as possible, dodging fireballs for as long as you can, completing areas without ever touching the ground (and you die if that happens), never letting enemies or coins drop on a moving platform (if it does you die), going through areas without harming any enemies (if you do you die), making sure both you and a Monty mole survive on a platform until the end of the level, and going through dangerous floorless areas with the help of nothing but Boost Blocks (it's really tricky controlling both Mario and the blocks at the same time, but I did get Gold in a few challenges solo). There's a good 50-60 challenges and you'll likely spend more time getting all Gold in them than completing the main game.

I wouldn't say you should go buy a Wii U just for that game (unless you're a really hardcore 2D Mario fan, I'd wait for more first party releases), but I really think you guys are selling New Super Mario Bros. U short, especially since I'm quite sure most of you haven't even played it yet.

ThornQueen
06-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Haha, perfect timing on this. I work at a kids summer camp right now, and last week I was giving out raffle tickets for anyone who could guess my favorite Mario game... and it took a disturbingly long time.

Where has all the love for Mario 64 gone?!? It will forever stand the test of time as my favorite. So many memories!

Pike
06-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Where has all the love for Mario 64 gone?!? It will forever stand the test of time as my favorite. So many memories!

Personally I felt that the Banjo games were the better platformers on the 64. That's not to say that Mario 64 wasn't great - it was - and it was definitely revolutionary, but I think Rare took the formula and improved upon it immeasurably.

ThornQueen
06-26-2013, 08:38 PM

Personally I felt that the Banjo games were the better platformers on the 64. That's not to say that Mario 64 wasn't great - it was - and it was definitely revolutionary, but I think Rare took the formula and improved upon it immeasurably.

I would actually agree! Banjo Kazooie and Space Station Sillicon Valley were hands down my favorite N64 platformers. I just meant in the scope of Mario games, for me, that one is unforgettable.

Polnareff
06-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Out of the main Mario games, I prefer to play SMB3 and Yoshi's Island.

But my favorite Mario games are definitely the RPGs. Bowser's Inside Story and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door being my favorite ones. I was mad when I tried out Sticker Star and they totally screwed up the battle system. :mad2:

I also really love the Wario games. I spent so much time playing Wario Land 2 that it should have been illegal.

Mario Kart and Mario Party are also awesome. Mario Kart 64 was my most-played N64 game, and the very first one I owned. I can still whoop people without having to use shortcuts. :jess:

Denmark
06-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I love all of you for including Yoshi's Island as a Mario game (because it is! full title: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)

YI or SMRPG are my favorite Mario games, probably.

Pike
06-26-2013, 10:52 PM

Best taste in the thread right here

Polnareff
06-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I love all of you for including Yoshi's Island as a Mario game (because it is! full title: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)

Technically the Wario games also count, at least the first one. It was originally called Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3.

NeoCracker
06-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Odd, me and Pike agree on something Game related!

SMRPG: LOTSS for the win!

maybee
06-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Mario psssh

Luigi all the way man.

Pike
06-27-2013, 04:57 PM

I don't know if we disagree as much as we just play the exact opposite sorts of games xD

NeoCracker
06-27-2013, 05:02 PM

I don't know if we disagree as much as we just play the exact opposite sorts of games xD

You're killing the Dynamic here Pike. :mad2:

Skyblade
06-27-2013, 05:11 PM

You're killing the Dynamic here Pike. :mad2:

See? You too can't even agree on whether or not you disagree! Sheesh.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Super Mario World for the more standard Mario games.

I never had a chance to play SMRPG. I wish they'd release it for the 3DS.

Pike
06-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Speaking of the RPG style Mario games, Superstar Saga for Game Boy Advance was an absolute blast. Also the villain (Fawful) was great. "I HAVE FURY!"

Del Murder
06-27-2013, 06:50 PM
The Mario & Luigi games are pretty fun but nothing beats SMRPG. A true sequel to that game would make my dreams come true.

Pike
06-27-2013, 07:26 PM
The Mario & Luigi games are pretty fun but nothing beats SMRPG. A true sequel to that game would make my dreams come true.

I agree. Not even Paper Mario came close IMO. I just want a real SMRPG sequel :(

Polnareff
06-27-2013, 07:48 PM
I never got why Super Mario RPG was so hyped up, especially when the Mario & Luigi games kick its ass in every way. :colbert: If you can honestly say that SMRPG is better than Bowser's Inside Story, give me some of whatever you're smoking. :p

Pike
06-27-2013, 07:53 PM
SMRPG was quirkier and had more charm. Just my opinion though.

Denmark
06-27-2013, 08:05 PM
the reason (one of many reasons anyway) that smrpg is better than any other mario game:

Like the moon over
the day my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools ~ Haiku

Polnareff
06-27-2013, 09:51 PM
SMRPG was quirkier and had more charm. Just my opinion though.

Oh yeah?! Well MY OPINION IS FACT, MISSY! MY OPINION IS FACT!!!! :mad2:

But seriously, I never did get the SMRPG hype. I liked it, but in my opinion, the M&L games stomped it into the ground. Paper Mario 2 as well (I thought SMRPG was better than PM1 and Sticker Star). I liked in SMRPG that you could actually have Bowser in your party. :jess:

Pike
06-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Oh one more thing about SMRPG that the other games lacked:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130428061022/mugen/images/3/39/Geno.png

The.

Best.

Character.

Del Murder
06-28-2013, 03:13 AM
I keep waiting for Geno to show up in SSB but it's never happened. :(

Denmark
06-28-2013, 03:16 AM
I kind of like that Geno has only ever been in SMRPG. It adds to the awesomeness of both the game and the character, imo.

Sephex
06-28-2013, 03:20 AM
The original ones I ended up getting crazy good at. This is funny because as a kid, I totally sucked at games in general. I also enjoyed the 3D ones (younger people need to take off the nostalgia glasses and show more love to both Super Mario Galaxy games).
All in all, I am always up for a new Mario game in the classic or 3D style. Granted, it's almost comical that Nintendo keeps releasing "New" Super Mario games, but I feel like they only worn out their welcome just a bit. Again, more people should remove the nostalgia glasses because there are many creative and fun levels in newer titles.

Once we get the second "3D Land" out of the way for the Wii U (Cat Mario!), I am hoping Nintendo will go all out for a Galaxy-like Mario, but with a new hook to it.

Pike
06-28-2013, 10:43 AM
I keep waiting for Geno to show up in SSB but it's never happened. :(

I know :(

I kind of like that Geno has only ever been in SMRPG. It adds to the awesomeness of both the game and the character, imo.

He cameo'd in Superstar Saga and I kind of geeked right out at that

LadyJuxtaposition
07-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Ah I remember Mario Bros. games, especially when I used to play Super Mario World and Paper Mario when I was little.
Both of the brothers are adorable; including Luigi who I liked him more than Mario, but I still have equal love for those heroic brothers! :heart: