PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2013

Aulayna
06-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Starts today!

Not sure if there any other Tennis fans here or if I'll be on my lonesome but I am excite! I used to queue up overnight on the first Monday to get tickets for Centre Court on the Tuesday (until I had to move to Ireland of course).

Could this be the year Murray wins it? Or is it Djokovic all the way? Will Nadal come back hard? Will an upset happen in the womens draw or will Serena win for sure?

charliepanayi
06-24-2013, 10:16 AM
I can't see past Serena in the women's tournament. As for the men's, it feels pretty open between the main three or four players, Federer is past his best now, but I can still hope he wins another Wimbledon!

Psychotic
06-24-2013, 11:14 AM
It is surely Tim Henman's year.

I Took the Red Pill
06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Nadal is currently down two sets to none. Let's see if he can avoid an embarrassing 1st round loss. Amongst the top guys I'm always rooting for Nadal, so

Nadal, Fed, and Murray are all in the same half of the bracket though. Should be a cakewalk for Djok to reach the finals.

Really as long as Murray doesn't win it I'll be OK with the result.

Aulayna
06-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Nadal's gone! Shocker!

Formalhaut
06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Nadal's gone! Shocker!

Through that Darcy bloke right? I AM surprised. That Darcy is a rank outsider, ranked like, 100th or so in the world.

Nadal did have his knee problem though.

charliepanayi
06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Just need Djokovic and Murray out now to clear the way for King Roger!

(watch Federer go out now to someone else)

Aulayna
06-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Nadal's gone! Shocker!

Through that Darcy bloke right? I AM surprised. That Darcy is a rank outsider, ranked like, 100th or so in the world.

Nadal did have his knee problem though.

Yup, Darcy.

I Don't Need A Name
06-24-2013, 06:11 PM
*Darcis

Formalhaut
06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
This may sound very un british of me, but, I just don't want Murray to win. I find him hard to love.

I Took the Red Pill
06-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Well damn. I guess I'm rooting for Tsonga now.

charliepanayi
06-24-2013, 07:58 PM
This may sound very un british of me, but, I just don't want Murray to win. I find him hard to love.

Actually not liking your best player is very British indeed!

Aulayna
06-25-2013, 08:29 AM

The documentary the BBC did the other night might change your mind.

CimminyCricket
06-25-2013, 02:58 PM
I was really surprised to hear that Nadal lost. I know there were circumstances that changed the way he had to play and I'm impressed Darcis found a way to capitalize on those changes so well, but I'm still surprised.

Psychotic
06-25-2013, 04:32 PM
I've never liked Andy Murray for being a Scotch but now I see that some of you don't like him I'm going to have to be contrarian and start supporting him.

supernaps
06-25-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm a huge Nole and Masha fan, so obviously I want both of them to win. I do realize though, that Sharapova claiming the title is very, very difficult. Williams is basically playing the best tennis of her career and has improved tremendously on the power front. (and Azarenka is also lurking)
Nadal's out (which I was surprised as well, but not that surprised as many others, grass was never his strongest spot) which makes it easier for Djokovic; let's just see if Federer's tremendous experience will be enough this time.
It's gonna be interesting to see things progressing.

charliepanayi
06-26-2013, 04:58 PM
A spate of withdrawals today - seven in all apparently!

I Don't Need A Name
06-26-2013, 05:42 PM
It sucks when it's names like Cilic, Tsonga and Azarenka gone!

Although if anyone caught the Brown Vs Hewitt game, Brown played some excellent tennis! He knocked out a player 119 seeds above him.

And it seems like a day for that, with Ivanovic falling to 66th Seed Eugenie Bouchard and Sharapova being beaten by 131st Seed Michelle Larcher De Brito

supernaps
06-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Holy balls. Sharapova's out from the second round, woah.
She had a very, very mediocre game but that doesn't diminish de Brito's win followed by a brilliant performance.
Gutted to see Masha out that early, I was hoping she would go through the final (now that Azarenka withdrew) to meet with Williams but oh well.

Good luck to de Brito though, looking forward for her in the future, I like her straightforward kind of play.

charliepanayi
06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Five of the top ten women's seeds are out already.

supernaps
06-26-2013, 07:10 PM
They say that the n.2 court is the "graveyard of champions" but this year, it feels like every single court is like that, lol.

Aulayna
06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Yeah sad to see Sharapova go, she's always been one of my favourites. There's definitely been some massive upsets so far and we're only 3 days in.

charliepanayi
06-26-2013, 07:44 PM
And Federer is heading the same way at the moment :(

I Don't Need A Name
06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I would like to say that watching the Sharapova match was exciting etc. but I only watched the last few points, and that was a chore due to it being a massive screaming match. There's just no need to make those kind of noises when playing Tennis..

supernaps
06-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I would like to say that watching the Sharapova match was exciting etc. but I only watched the last few points, and that was a chore due to it being a massive screaming match. There's just no need to make those kind of noises when playing Tennis..

But it's not like they get an enjoyment out of making that grunt; it helps them, put the pressure and power out. Yeah, you could argue that sometimes it can get a bit overplayed but it's not like they can help it.

Federer's looking on hot water, this day is a cursed day for the top seeds.

charliepanayi
06-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Does someone just want to give Djokovic and Murray byes to the final now. Williams too.

I Don't Need A Name
06-26-2013, 08:47 PM

But it's not like they get an enjoyment out of making that grunt; it helps them, put the pressure and power out. Yeah, you could argue that sometimes it can get a bit overplayed but it's not like they can help it.

That's debatable in itself. Sure it happens in games where players make a grunting noise when you put down the power into the shots, and exert themselves, that's just natural, but those two weren't using it like that. They were literally screaming after every single shot.

supernaps
06-26-2013, 09:02 PM
That's debatable in itself. Sure it happens in games where players make a grunting noise when you put down the power into the shots, and exert themselves, that's just natural, but those two weren't using it like that. They were literally screaming after every single shot.
Well, with that same logic, that is debatable as well. You can't know how much pressure it took them for every movement, thus the grunting might have helped them after every single shot.

Rocket Edge
06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Disappointed but wasn't surprised to see Federer lose yesterday. He's been playing like shit all year and when he gets tested, areas of his game falls to pieces. His forehand was poor yesterday, his backhand non-existant, and if it wasn't for his serve being reliable he would have been comfortably beaten. Maybe he needs to add in more tournaments than hes having to regain match fitness.

This Wimbledon is Murrays to lose. He is more comfortable on the grass than Nole and he wants it more. I just hope players like Haas, Del Potro, Dimitrov, & Brown make good runs.

supernaps
06-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Nole's on the next round, which shouldn't come off as surprising really, but well, this year, you never know. Saw his last set, he was really good.

Williams seems to be running on her own; I'd love to say that Kimiko would pose a threat to her, but seems unlikely. Hopefuly I get proven wrong on that.

Rocket Edge
06-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah he looks great. Still think Murray will win though.

I really don't want Serena to win. I hope Radwanska, Lisicki, or Keys wins it. Wishful thinking but you can hope.

supernaps
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Yeah he looks great. Still think Murray will win though.

I really don't want Serena to win. I hope Radwanska, Lisicki, or Keys wins it. Wishful thinking but you can hope.

It's gonna be tough, the men's one seems much more challenging that the ladies' one, that's for sure.

I agree with you; it's not like I dislike Serena per se (she's certainly not on my top-10 though and it doesn't help that I support Masha, lol) and I believe she is a hell of a player, but I wanna see someone else winning a Slam this year, if only for change. Rawdanska looks good, I'll say that.

supernaps
07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas. Sabine was a superwoman today. Enjoyed her match with Williams very much, a great, great game; one of the best I have ever seen.
I was so happy for Lisicki, I really like the way she plays and her positivity and I'm just glad she was the one to end Williams' magnificent streak.
Going for the major? I think so, if she keeps that up, I can't back up anyone else stopping her at the moment. Maybe Kvitova, but not sure.

charliepanayi
07-01-2013, 05:08 PM
The women's tournament is definitely wide open now. I think Lisicki has made the semi-finals and quarter-finals on previous visits so she's clearly got a liking for the surface.

Rocket Edge
07-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Superb match from Sabine! Kvitova is the favourite now for me although Lisicki has the kind of game to beat anyone one day and be horrible the next. If she wins I'll be delighted!

The women's draw has been much more entertaining this year than the mens.

Aulayna
07-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Murray's match is nailbitingly close right now...

Cuchulainn
07-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I judge who i want to win a ladies game by who's more attractive. I dont think this means I'm a bad person it just means that maybe i'm watching it for the wrong reasons.

Psychotic
07-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Nobody wants to hold their serve right now!

Formalhaut
07-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I predict Murray to win. I will be surprised if he doesn't.

What a shame.

Psychotic
07-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't call it a surprise. It's way too even to call. COME ON TIM

Pheesh
07-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I tried to analyze who would win in chat and just ended up giving myself a headache. I will not be surprised if either of them win it, and I predict that if this makes it to the 5th set we're in for two very haggard looking players.

EDIT: Ahahaha, Psy, Yes! Murray grabbed a hat as well! xD

Aulayna
07-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Good job I broke a nail when cleaning yesterday. The rest are getting bitten off with nerves now!

Psychotic
07-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Hat Murray is well on the way now!

Pheesh
07-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Don't want to take too much away from Murray or anything, but Djokovic looks so damn tired. Some of his unforced errors are just horrific.

Aulayna
07-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Don't want to take too much away from Murray or anything, but Djokovic looks so damn tired. Some of his unforced errors are just horrific.

No sooner had you said it, he opens the reserves...

Pheesh
07-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Haha, well yeah, he's the World No. 1 for a reason. Murray is losing momentum fast as well, he better be careful over these next couple games.

Psychotic
07-07-2013, 04:55 PM
COME ON TIM

Aulayna
07-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Come on lad, serve it out!

Pheesh
07-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Choke choke choke choke choke :excited:

Psychotic
07-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Fuck me this is insane.

Pheesh
07-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Wow, amazing last game.

I really do hate this tosser though.

Psychotic
07-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Wow, amazing last game.

I really do hate this tosser though.Remember when I said it wouldn't be straight sets?

Welp :shobon:

Aulayna
07-07-2013, 05:27 PM
FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!

Pheesh
07-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow, amazing last game.

I really do hate this tosser though.Remember when I said it wouldn't be straight sets?

Welp :shobon:

Yeah, honestly that last game and maybe the very start of the match showed glimpses of what I thought the whole match should be. But oh well, no doubting that Murray played the more solid game today.

And I swear to god if I have to look at Gerard Butler one more time D:<

I Don't Need A Name
07-07-2013, 05:47 PM
YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *breathe* EAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Formalhaut
07-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Congrats, although I still can't say I love Murray.

Aulayna
07-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Just watched the highlights again on Today at Wimbledon and it was just as tense, to the point I forgot how he'd won it and jumped out of my chair and fist pumped the air again... :redface:

Rocket Edge
07-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Happy for Murray. He deserves it. Can't say I'm a big fan of his tennis though. He was doing an awful lot of grinding out there today.

Was sad for Lisicki. :(