PDA

View Full Version : Fan Translation Release Date Announcement

Skyblade
06-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Sky's RomHacking Nest Type-0 Translation Page (http://skybladecloud.wordpress.com/projects/final-fantasy-type-0-english-translation)

Square may not be stepping up to the translation challenge, but that doesn't mean this game is going to go without a localization.

The team has been doing some incredibly detailed work, and the videos show the attention and quality they're putting into their translation.

It may only be a ROM hack, but it is going to be an exceptional one, and it will let Final Fantasy fans finally experience this game. There's still a lot left to do, but I think we can all admit that the progress looks great.

Skyblade
02-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Forgive the double post and thread necro, but I didn't want to create a new one with this one still only 5 threads from the top.

The current status update of the project is extremely promising. Here's the Link. (http://www.skybladecloud.net/projects/final-fantasy-type-0-psp-english-translation/)

Here are the percentages:
~RomHacking: 100%
~Graphic translation: 96%
~Story script: 100%
~Secondary text: 100%
~Videos: 25%

Compared to where this was when I first made this thread, it has come along by leaps and bounds. I'm expecting a release within the next few months (which I will also announce), and we'll finally be able to play through this game fully.

Del Murder
02-25-2014, 03:28 AM
Oh wow, that sounds great!

Skyblade
02-26-2014, 05:14 AM
It is excellent, as their preview videos and their work with the compression patch (which I have used) show.

It's also a project fraught with some rather unexpected troubles.

I'd like to link in a quote by one of the team members.

Let me tell you guys a little story...

Sky began this project just over a year ago. Not because someone told him to, not because he's being paid, but out of the kindness of his heart. After Project Crystallis and Operation Suzaku failed, this became the only hope for all Final Fantasy fans outside of Japan to play this game without the language issue.

Then began a time of weekly reports where I know everyone was excited to
see how much progress the team had made in the last week. I'm sure a
lot of people were thrilled whenever the time left decreased and release
date drew near.
Many people have joined this project over the course of that time to help see this to completion and being able to play it themselves. Most of these people were fans of the project and found out about it through the blog. None of them are professional translators who translate anime every week and half of the team didn't even know much Japanese. We're not pros but we're doing our best and producing the best possible results.

I was always happy to view this site and I know a lot of others were too. The thing is however, I became borderline heartbroken and shocked to find people who would just casually mock, insult, threaten and demoralize us just because we weren't getting results fast enough. I understood impatience but that was just pure insensitivity. Hours of work and effort being trivialized time and time again by people relying on us to get the work done.

Even now, we're doing our best to get this project done. I'm a high school student in my senior year, I don't want this to drag on for too long. Once this is complete, I can relax much easier since I'll have less to be worried about. 'Trolls' and fans alike, I want to see this project complete as soon as possible. This site is for people who have faith in this project and who support it in its good and bad days. I don't want it to be used as a means to make us or anyone else feel bad. Anyone who thinks that criticizing our work or the team as people will make us go any faster, you're wrong.

I personally want everyone who views this page to support the team. Not only does it maybe get the team to work better and faster, it helps us recognize that people are truly understanding how much work we put into this. I've only been a part of this team for 3 months. For others, it has been a long journey which is about to see the fruit of everyone's labor. Please for a little while longer, I want you guys to support us as much as you have over the past year and acknowledge the amount of work we have done to make you guys happy. I don't want you guys to keep fighting against each other nor do I want any conflict between the team and the fans. I understand you guys are impatient as it is SO close to completion. I am not aware whether or not we are treating you guys wrongly on this blog. If so, on the team's behalf, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Despite everything, everyone is welcome to receive this patch no matter what you've said or done. Whether you like this project or not, whether you like the team or not, I ask you to support us for just a little while longer...

Throughout the year long lifespan of this project, the team has been mocked, ranted at, and even threatened.

Because they have done poor work? No. Because they have ruined some aspect of it, or gotten something wrong? No. Because they aren't doing it fast enough.

It has been a disheartening and demoralizing influence on the team. A team of fans, doing unpaid work. A year for a localization effort is far shorter time than many professional studios manage, and we have had to wait far longer for many titles. This team is having to do the same amount of work, and have managed to do an incredible job in less time, with fewer resources, fewer members, and while maintaining other jobs or schooling. Heck, SkyBladeCloud himself lives in Spain, and certainly had no obligation to take on translating this to English (most of his previous translation works have been translating English versions of games to Spanish).

On the whole, the fan reaction has been incredibly positive and supportive. But there is a small but significant portion of the fans who are being hateful and vindictive. This team has been struggling, with no pay except the well-wishes of fans and the occasional donation, and with no profit awaiting them at the end, as the final product is going to be distributed for free. Yet people have said some truly vile things (which I don't care to repeat, and almost all of which have thankfully been purged from the website).

It sickens me to think that any who take such a stand my call themselves "Final Fantasy fans". That they might group themselves together with me, or the members of our community here. How can any fan of the series complain about a localization effort being done at such quality in so short a time? How can they complain about other fans doing work which they are either unwilling or unable to do themselves? How can they be so cruel and heartless to fans merely doing their best to express their love of the series in such a positive way for the rest of the fanbase?

I encourage any of you reading this to please go to the main site (http://www.skybladecloud.net/projects/final-fantasy-type-0-psp-english-translation/). Leave a comment. Let this team know just how appreciated their effort is.

Ayen
02-26-2014, 10:46 PM
I encourage any of you reading this to please go to the main site (http://www.skybladecloud.net/projects/final-fantasy-type-0-psp-english-translation/). Leave a comment. Let this team know just how appreciated their effort is.

Done and done.

Bookmarked the page too so I can keep tabs on things. Feels like I've been hiding under a rock all this time.

Skyblade
03-13-2014, 05:25 AM
We have a release date!

August 8th, 2014

Link to the translation update and translation teaser video. (http://www.skybladecloud.net/type-0-translation-teaser/)

Essentially, they think they're about done with translation, they're just running through scouring for bugs as well as checking the literal thousands of NPCs to ensure that they're all properly translated and working correctly (and how long has it been since a Final Fantasy game has delivered on a world that in-depth?).

Less than six months to go.

PS, can someone change the thread title to "Fan Translation Release Date Announcement"?

Ayen
03-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Hot damn! It lands on a month where my schedule will actually be freed up to where I can play it straight away. Oh happy days!