PDA

View Full Version : You have Encountered a Wild Newb.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-25-2013, 04:14 AM
While some of the members here are either veterans of MMORPGs or FFXIV v1.xx, there are also many of us who are new. Myself included (though I do have a character from the previous version I only managed to get to level 4) and sometimes the lingo and stuff is rather confused or particular to the game. Moreover, while many of us have time in the phases of Beta and/or Alpha to get used to it, not everyone has. So I was thinking that some of us could get together and share information and provide for the masses (both newbs and vets). Much like there is in the FFXI forum with FFXI F.A.Q. 1.0 (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xi/58856-final-fantasy-xi-online-f-q-1-0-read-before-asking-questions.html) and FFXI Resources (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xi/84261-final-fantasy-xi-online-resources.html), we could do the same here. Furthermore, we can take advantage of the front site/articles integration with forums too.

Some ideas for this include:

-A lexicon for MMORPG/FFXIV lingo
-Newb guide for starting cities (either in general or for each of the three)
-Descriptions of classes and jobs (and the difference between the two)
-Description of races
-The story of FFXIV v1.xx (?)
-FAQ
-Resources

And those of some of the things I can think of on the top of my head!

So any takers on the idea? Would be cool if some Editors/Staff got on this (would help facilitate stuff). Who's up for it? :D?

P.S. I think this will be especially useful come Phase 4 when character data will carry over to Early Access and Launch. :D

Raistlin
06-25-2013, 04:53 AM
I think this is a great idea, and I was already planning on bugging regular players for help with site content as we got closer to launch. Gameplay content, such as a beginner's guide in particular, would be great for the frontsite.

Ouch!
06-25-2013, 05:05 AM
When I'm less busy moving and starting a new position at work, I'd love to be able to contribute to this. Don't take that as a promise, though, as Raistlin and GoBo will attest I have a history of showing enthusiasm for things and then never finding the time to do it (but never having trouble finding excuses).

Loony BoB
06-25-2013, 12:25 PM
If I get time, I'll be really keen on helping out, but it all comes down to that 'time' thing and with the restricted accesso the Beta that leaves me with very little time to actively work on figuring out various things.

I think the first thing will be to get a list of frequently asked questions together, such as...

What do I do in a Beta?
What are the differences between the starter cities?
What are the different races?
Is there anything I should be careful about when creating a character?
What can I do in FFXIV?
How do I get a chocobo?
What are the exclusive bonuses I can only get if I pre-order a Collector's Edition?
How do I find you guys?

etc. etc.