PDA

View Full Version : Last of us story discussion (those who have yet to play the game may want to avoid)

tony12
06-25-2013, 04:40 AM
I am not one who really plays a whole lot of games any longer as I don't really enjoy the gameplay elements of video games that much anymore. However I still enjoy watching/reading a good story no matter what the media.
Since I heard Last of us was a very story driven game and it was getting great reviews I decided to start watching a play through of it off youtube and see what it was like. I will say that it has got to be one of the best stories created for a video game in a long long time (perhaps even ever).
Although the overall arc of the story wasn't that complex and it was just mainly about developing the relationship between Joel and Ellie they did a superb job of writing scripts for these two characters and you really bought into and understood how they were feeling towards eachother and why they had those feelings. I completely understood why Joel was hesitant about getting close to Ellie throughout the majority of the game and why Ellie wanted to get close to Joel and the frustration she began going through when Joel wasn't allowing them to bond.
The game also did a great job in showing the growth of Ellie's character over the course of the year they were together. She started off the game as a rather naïve fourteen year old who was just wanting someone to take care of her. As the game went along she started becoming more and more headstrong and a little hardened to the point during the winter scenes when Joel got injured she became almost exactly like Joel because she was the one who was responsible for taking care of them. Then at the end of the game she was really the emotionally strong one of the group and the game ends on a note that makes you wonder if Joel was really telling her the truth or not.
To top it all off the game had absolutely superb voice acting. If there is any game that would adapt extremely well to a movie or television show it would be Last of us. By the way I apologize about the paragraphs but the enter button isn't working in here right now.