PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XV was almost a musical

DMKA
06-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Apparently Mr. Nomura loved the latest incarnation of Les Misérables so much, that right after he saw it, he wanted to turn Final Fantasy XV into a like-minded musical.

E3 2013: Final Fantasy 15 Was Almost a Musical - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical)

So how would you have felt about this? Honestly, as silly as the idea of a musical Final Fantasy game seems when you think about it, I think, if done correctly, an RPG epic in the vein of a Final Fantasy title, done in the style of a musical, could be something great, and something I'd definitely want to play.

Imagining Noctis and his cronies along with those two old dudes bursting into song and dance mid battle is pretty hilarious. :p

Jinx
06-26-2013, 08:34 PM
WHY DID THEY NOT DO THIS

NO SERIOUSLY

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

Flying Mullet
06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
It is a musical. (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xv/150643-music-behind-game.html)

Pumpkin
06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
I hate musicals.

No really, shut up. No one goes dancing and singing around the streets like that. Not all the time. You don't narrate your life through song. Stop it. Go take a shower if you want to do that.

Fynn
06-26-2013, 08:47 PM
THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

HOW DO WE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Del Murder
06-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Better than making it an action RPG!

Fynn
06-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Better than making it an action RPG!

Oh, Del, don't be so butthurt. It was known from the start this was going to be an action RPG.

Except now we know it could have been a fabulous action RPG.

Jinx
06-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Noctis doing jazz hands and pinwheel arms.

Come on, guys. How can you not love that?

Night Fury
06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
A dashing introductory number. (http://vocaroo.com/i/s0m1RxVQNiVb)

Flying Mullet
06-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Encore? (http://bit.ly/14YdWNS)

Miriel
06-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Omg. OMG.

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS!!

I'd love a video game musical. Seriously, it would be the best thing ever. Although to be honest, I don't think SE would have been able to pull it off. :greenie:

Raistlin
06-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Although to be honest, I don't think SE would have been able to pull it off. :greenie:

Yeah, if it was actually done, it would almost certainly be a train wreck. But it is a fun idea.

Flying Mullet
06-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Although to be honest, I don't think SE would have been able to pull it off. :greenie:

Yeah, if it was actually done, it would almost certainly be a train wreck. But it is a fun idea.
Train wrecks didn't stop them from releasing FFVIII.

DMKA
06-27-2013, 12:44 AM

Or VI

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081017021025/finalfantasy/images/d/d9/TrainSuplex.png

Or VII

http://www.edvella.com/Content/Images/games/north-corel-train_tb.jpg

ShinGundam
06-27-2013, 01:15 AM

VI is pretty much a train wreck.

Laddy
06-27-2013, 06:25 AM
So he used to terrible Les Miz adaptation as inspiration? uh...

noxious.sunshine
06-27-2013, 07:11 AM
They should do it. Totes.

That BSB thing was pretty funny though, I must say. (Yes, I'm a total BSB fangirl. shut up).

Fynn
06-27-2013, 08:34 AM

That BSB thing was pretty funny though, I must say. (Yes, I'm a total BSB fangirl. shut up).

You know they're pretty much dead now, right?

Ouch!
06-27-2013, 03:08 PM

You know they're touring now, right?

DMKA
06-27-2013, 04:05 PM

They're actually alive and well. They're fanbase just...changed. :p

Fynn
06-27-2013, 07:43 PM

They're actually alive and well. They're fanbase just...changed. :p

That's kinda what I meant.

Roogle
06-27-2013, 11:20 PM
I hate musicals.

No really, shut up. No one goes dancing and singing around the streets like that. Not all the time. You don't narrate your life through song. Stop it. Go take a shower if you want to do that.

I agree with you completely. I recognize that there are those that like song and dance, but I am not impressed by those types of performances. I find them annoying.

Mercen-X
06-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Musicals are downright aggravating. As a big fan of song and dance, I would love to live in one of those worlds where people just spontaneously start dancing and singing with you because you've begun melodically narrating your life. But in our world, you'd be considered mentally ill.

There are a few movies about music groups that are about the music without being musicals. School of Rock, Sister Act, Sister Act 2, and Pitch Perfect immediately come to mind. While those are also comedies, I see no reason why a game can't follow the same format of incorporating a protagonist or a group who would usually perform if not caught up in battle. In fact, one comes to mind. Steambot Chronicles featured a group of trotmobile pilots who would group together (some using their trots as the stage and sound/lighting), each having their own musical specialty. Final Fantasy X-2 basically did this while focusing only on Yuna and only really giving her two instances during which to perform (actually the first was Leblanc disguised as Yuna). We never have had a Bard/Minstrel as the protagonist in an FF so far even though fans have suggested it on more than one occasion.
One amazing thing that occurs in FFs is that the heroes either don't have jobs/careers before joining the crew, have jobs related to combat such as smith or merc, or completely abandon their jobs altogether even if they could otherwise use their job-training to bring in much-needed funds. But that's an issue for GenFF. In fact, this whole spiel about musicals is an issue for GenFF since it seems obvious enough Nomura isn't going to do it.

comma
06-30-2013, 02:29 AM
I really don't think it would have been a musical. If anything, it would have been an opera. Having been to the Met Opera several times, I can provide that operas are very serious and emotional. It would be perfect for the kind of game Final Fantasy XV appears to be, since operas are almost always very melodramatic, and so are Final Fantasy games. But I imagine that it'd be tough to make a good opera that's long enough to keep an RPG interesting.

Mercen-X
06-30-2013, 07:44 AM
I actually thought about that last night and I agree. In musicals, people burst into song AND dance for little to no reason. But Les Miserables, the Phantom of the Opera, Sweeney Todd, these operas involve people relaying deeper emotions in a way that translates easier to its audience. No matter how good an actor's performance, many audiences cannot feel a true emotional attachment due a growth in genre savviness and a willing detachment from "fictional" worlds. Music, however, has always had a strong emotional impact on its audience. However, in most cases in Final Fantasy, the target audience cannot truly appreciate the music's emotions without stopping to just listen to it (like as a soundtrack). If the music played a role in the plot (as with the characters relaying some thoughts through song) then the player would be forced to absorb the music's relationship to the game and would be more greatly affected emotionally.

Some may mention that music from FF has affected them emotionally even during gameplay, but I expect they'll cite a scripted scenario like Aeris' death. But the mere fact that the scenario is scripted means you're actually doing anything other than pressing one button to move the text along. As I stated above, most people cannot be actively playing the game to appreciate the music as the gameplay distracts from that element.

dandy da oak
06-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Oh heavens yes, this would be awesome. Theatrhythm is already an awesome game, this would be taking that to another, even better level.

Old Manus
06-30-2013, 01:30 PM
It couldn't bring my expectations any lower

Mercen-X
06-30-2013, 11:02 PM
That's one way to look at it

KentaRawr!
08-13-2013, 12:58 AM
I've absolutely adored the few musicals I've seen, but it's not because I find the idea of a whole crowd of people breaking into song as being particularly plausible. I certainly never played FFVI thinking it was unrealistic how all the characters could talk by conjuring up giant text boxes. :p

That said, as much as I'd adore a Final Fantasy musical, I do wonder how well SE would handle that sort of thing if they tried to make it work as a game. I would love it if they adapted the story or world of a Final Fantasy game into a musical, though. :greenie:

qwertysaur
08-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I guess Noctis wants to be YOUR canary