PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Book Club - September Edition: Gone Girl

Shauna
06-28-2013, 09:57 PM
!IMPORTANT!
Decision has been made and we are reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card this month! Feel free to discuss as you read, but make sure you throw that stuff under spoiler tags for us slower readers!

I will also take any suggestions for next month and keep track of them here! :D

Suggestions
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (foa)
Franny and Zooey - JD Salinger (Scotty)
The Merchant of Death - D. J. MacHale (HC)

This has been suggested and tried time and time again, but I thought I'd take the helm and lead us into failure faster than ever.

We tried to get a book club going at work, but after two books that barely anyone read/were pretty bad, I think the idea has fizzled out. So I am bringing it to the good people of nerddom on the internet so we can share some awful great book experiences.

Would anyone actually be interested in a monthly reading thing? If not we can just talk about all our failed attempts at Book Clubs, whether on the internet or IRL. :p

Shorty
06-28-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm so bad at these ;______________; But I'll give it a shot, depending on what book it is!

Shauna
06-28-2013, 10:06 PM
depending on what book it is!

Ultimate downfall of book clubs. xD

Honestly, I have no idea what the first book would be. That's why I'm hoping this will take off, so I can expand my horizons and read all sorts of things. I was hoping to gauge some interest and then find something. Or I sidle away and read a book myself.

Shorty
06-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Do not let us nerds battle it out for books; it will be a bloodbath. Or choose like four or five and put it up to a poll/vote.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-28-2013, 10:11 PM
I'd do it. I read almost anything.

Shauna
06-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Fair enough. The latter seems like a cool idea, but I feel like we may end up stuck in eternal poll and never a decision made.

I was thinking that maybe an Iain Banks novel, as an homage to the guy.

I dunno. Any input from anyone else would be swell. ;_;

Miriel
06-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm always really good about reading the book, it's always the followup that's difficult. It's easier IRL where you can gather together with the excuse of eating yummy food. :p

I nominate The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Life-Book-Club-Vintage/dp/0307739783) for no other reason than because that's what I just started and it's awesome so far.

Jinx
06-28-2013, 11:33 PM
This time can everyone have a say on books (maybe take suggestions, then make a poll) instead of just two people deciding what book 10+ people were going to read? That's what turned me off last time.

Miriel
06-28-2013, 11:45 PM
This time can everyone have a say on books (maybe take suggestions, then make a poll) instead of just two people deciding what book 10+ people were going to read? That's what turned me off last time.

The last time this was brought up, it was a casual thing. I wanted reading buddies for a specific book I was reading at the time. I mean it was literally just me saying, "Who wants to read Les Miserables with me?"

And then somebody (aka, you!) suggested that it actually be a monthly formalized thing. You could have have taken up the reins and made polls and stuff at any time! :greenie:

Jinx
06-29-2013, 12:07 AM

The last time this was brought up, it was a casual thing. I wanted reading buddies for a specific book I was reading at the time. I mean it was literally just me saying, "Who wants to read Les Miserables with me?"

And then somebody (aka, you!) suggested that it actually be a monthly formalized thing. You could have have taken up the reins and made polls and stuff at any time! :greenie:

Fair enough. I didn't realize that you only intended for it to be a one time deal with Les Mis.

Anyways, I'd be interested in doing this in an organized manner. I have a library card now, so getting books is so much easier.

Hollycat
06-29-2013, 12:08 AM
I nominate Ender's Shadow. It's the companion novel to the famous Ender's Game and is in my opinion, by far the stronger novel.

Shorty
06-29-2013, 12:09 AM
"Disagreement and rage of the strongest proportions" does not begin to match the feelings I have right now xD

Miriel
06-29-2013, 12:12 AM
I'd be down to re-read Ender's Game since it seems I've pretty much forgotten the entire plot (and I only read it like... 3 years ago!) and I want a refresher before the movie comes out.

Shorty
06-29-2013, 12:13 AM
I will reread Ender's Game with this forum.

Hell, I'll reread it without you nerds.

Hollycat
06-29-2013, 12:13 AM
I'd be down to re-read Ender's Game since it seems I've pretty much forgotten the entire plot (and I only read it like... 3 years ago!) and I want a refresher before the movie comes out.

This is also acceptable.

Jinx
06-29-2013, 12:16 AM
BUT THEN I'D WANT TO READ THE WHOLE SERIES ;-;

Shorty
06-29-2013, 12:21 AM
not worth it, only the second book after is worth reading imho

Hollycat
06-29-2013, 12:22 AM
BUT THEN I'D WANT TO READ THE WHOLE SERIES ;-;

The next two books on the Ender saga are awful. The one he released a few years ago was good though. But it actually takes place between the first and second book.

On the other hand, all the Shadow book following bean are excellent.

Shorty
06-29-2013, 12:23 AM
We are just not going to be friends, are we, HC xD

Hollycat
06-29-2013, 12:27 AM
We are just not going to be friends, are we, HC xD

Are you honestly saying you enjoyed reading the second one? The third one I can see enjoying, what with the Chinese story and all that. But the one that is basically just him talking to a tree?

Raistlin
06-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Just some words of advice regarding this book club: try to choose books that will be of interest to the widest number of people interested. At GHF several years ago, someone tried to start a bookclub that involved a lot of well-known literature, like you'd find in many generic book clubs. It bombed. Then we started up another with a focus on nerdy stuff, like fantasy and science fiction, and it was a big success that lasted for many months.

I'm not saying you have to go the fantasy/sci-fi route. But focusing on what interests the most people will help. For that purpose, letting interested people nominate and vote on books would be a good idea.

EDIT: And I would reread Ender's Game. I only read it once many years ago, and was actually a bit underwhelmed after all the hype. I would be interested in seeing how my opinion changes.

Shorty
06-29-2013, 12:30 AM
The second doubles as my favorite book, second to Ender's Game. So yes.

If that's all you took from reading that book, I feel sorry for you, HC.

Hollycat
06-29-2013, 12:31 AM
The second doubles as my favorite book, second to Ender's Game. So yes.

To each their own. At least say you enjoyed Shadow.

Shorty
06-29-2013, 12:32 AM
No, I didn't. I don't enjoy any of the Shadow series and I think they are all garbage.

Hollycat
06-29-2013, 12:32 AM
No, I didn't. I don't enjoy any of the Shadow series and I think they are all garbage.

Not even the first one (the best one)?

Did you read Pendragon?
If yes, and you tell me you hated the series, I'm going to cry.

Shorty
06-29-2013, 12:34 AM
I read Ender's Shadow and staggered through Shadow of the Hegemon and it was like knives going into my eyes every line. I greatly and truly 100% think he destroyed Ender's name with the Shadow series.

BUT I DIGRESS LET'S READ ENDER'S GAME if everyone is up for it

Miriel
06-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Not that I disagree that the best way to success is to appeal to the most people with the book selection and that obviously means sci-fi/fantasy for the EoFF crowd. I'm still compelled to say... expand your repertoire, yo!

Generic book club books are very often REALLY good, even if it's not the stuff EoFFers might usually read.

Life of Pi, Unbroken, Gone Girl, Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Book Thief, The Glass Castle, The Shadow of the Wind, Still Alice, Middlesex, etc. All super popular book club selections, all extraordinary books.

I actually would be really interested in EoFF's opinion on something like Gone Girl or Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, because both inspire a lot of questions and there's room for discussions. Ender's Game if I can remember correctly, has some good discussion opportunities too.

Jinx
06-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Not that I disagree that the best way to success is to appeal to the most people with the book selection and that obviously means sci-fi/fantasy for the EoFF crowd. I'm still compelled to say... expand your repertoire, yo!

Seconded.

dandy da oak
06-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Hey, I like books! Maybe I could participate :D

Shauna
06-29-2013, 09:22 AM
So. Looks like Ender's Game is a popular choice. I have never read this, so I am down for it. xD

Hey, TB, if you're interested in doing this in an organised manner you can help out with the... organising of everything! :} Certainly would be cool to have an extra hand, keeping on top of this.

Pike
06-29-2013, 10:23 AM
I really only read historical nonfiction these days :p Mostly military history stuff. And it'll take me like three months to stagger through one book :shobon:

Jinx
06-29-2013, 01:33 PM
It looks like Ender's Game is a popular choice here. Kind of no reason to make a poll, unless anyone has another suggestion?

Now, if we're doing this in an organized fashion (especially cos this book isn't that long), should we maybe have it, where you have to read up to Chapter 3 by this date, etc. You don't have to get there, but the thread will have unmarked discussion spoilers. That way people know what spoilers will be in the thread, and we can read it all together as a group.

I'm a pretty fast reader, and generally knock out a 500 page book a day, but I appreciate others don't read that fast. And I know from my past experience, if I've read a book before, and someone else hasn't, I sometimes have a hard time remember which plot point came first.

What do you guys think?

Shorty
06-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Three chapters in a week's time? Four chapters? At three a week, EoFF will get through this book in four and a half weeks. Or do we want to give like a two/three week period of book-reading and discuss as we go marking chapter spoilers? like so

If you guys don't want to read Ender's Game, I'm sure there are plenty of other books out there that can be chosen. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of enthusiasm for it xD

Shauna
06-29-2013, 08:38 PM
I don't see any lack of enthusiasm for Ender's Game, so we should just go for it. Change up that title and say we have until the end of July to get this bad boy read. I'd say just have a final date to have it finished and mark spoilers along the way. :p

For next time we should all think of a possible book and get a vote going on for it. I do agree that we shouldn't just stick to sci-fi/fantasy, and we shouldn't be afraid to nominate books that might be bad. All about expanding our horizons!

Shorty
06-29-2013, 08:39 PM
lemme know if you want it changed to anything else~

Shauna
06-29-2013, 08:47 PM

fire_of_avalon
06-29-2013, 09:59 PM
I will try again and I will read Ender's Game, but after that I would love love to read Gone Girl please and thanks.

Jinx
06-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Well, we'll add it to our suggestions list.

Miriel
06-29-2013, 11:26 PM
I will try again and I will read Ender's Game, but after that I would love love to read Gone Girl please and thanks.

Gone Girl is not the kind of genre I usually go for (psychological thriller), but I thought it was fan-fucking-tastic and I'd love to have people to chat about it with. So many wtf moments.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-29-2013, 11:28 PM
I'd like to throw "Franny and Zooey" on the suggestion list for the future. It's my favorite Salinger piece, I think.

Jinx
06-29-2013, 11:31 PM

Gone Girl is not the kind of genre I usually go for (psychological thriller), but I thought it was fan-smurfing-tastic and I'd love to have people to chat about it with. So many wtf moments.

Is it good? It's not a book I'd read myself, but you're like the book queen. So I take most of your recommendations pretty seriously.

Miriel
06-29-2013, 11:33 PM
It's wicked good.

A little more than halfway through, your whole perception of the book completely changes and it goes from being a very readable, decently intriguing book to, WHOA! DAMN! kind of good. Falters a little toward the very end though.

Hollycat
06-29-2013, 11:54 PM
It's too early probably to suggest books for next month, but I'd like to recommend Pendragon, the merchant of death.

Shauna
06-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Nah, if we get suggestions in, it means we can get one picked easier for next month rather that spending time getting suggestions together! :3

Scotty_ffgamer
06-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Pendragon: Merchant of Death is also great!

dandy da oak
06-30-2013, 12:30 PM
oooh, Ender's Game is something I have been meaning/wanting to read for ages. I love Sci-Fi!

Shauna
07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Got this on my Kindle today, and am getting through! Not much to comment on for the first two Chapters though. xD

Shorty
07-08-2013, 12:25 AM
I read somewhere once that if you didn't read this book when you were a young person, it wouldn't have the same impression on you as if you read it when you were an adult. That's actually probably true for a good deal many books, though.

I've read this book over and over for the past fourteen years or so and I know it like the back of my hand, but I don't really know what to say in observance of these first couple of chapters. I've never had to explain why I love it, really. I love the way they're written, I love the way there are all of these unexplained words and situations (saving the world, the monitor, Third, buggers) yet the familiar instance of a small, young child sitting in a doctor's office, which is something we've surely all experienced. Questions about the monitor and the buggers start to get their answers and we're introduced to Peter. The contention he feels at home with his brother, who is the most dangerous person he's ever known and Valentine, who he loves dearly and has always been there for him to stand between Peter and Ender. It's all very real and human to me, even in this time that seems so different from ours, and I have to remind myself that these are children and not adults playing these parts.

I've always found myself relating strongly to Valentine (and her alias, which was my original screenname upon joining these forums back in 2001 and has continued to be an alias of mine that I use online). Beside Ender, she is undoubtedly my favorite character. And as much as I'd like to hate Peter, his character is pure unfiltered genius, so I can't.

By the way, if anyone needs a copy of this to read, I have a .txt version I can send to you if you don't care enough to go out and purchase or rent a copy yourself~ It's not quite the same because it's missing some formatting and such (is Italics really such a big deal, though?) and isn't perhaps completely ideal, but I suppose it's the same thing as reading on a kindle or something. Or there's a PDF version here (http://ia601505.us.archive.org/6/items/ost-english-endersgame/EndersGame.pdf) that appears to be pretty accurate (but I believe is also missing some formatting).

krissy
07-08-2013, 03:39 AM
im not gonna read it with yo uguys this month as im making my little bro read my copy so that the movie doesnt ruin the story for him

its one of my faves

i read it as an adult

LunarWeaver
07-10-2013, 06:11 PM
I do need to read more. Or at least take a break from A Song of Ice and Fire for a while. But I can't bring myself to read Ender's Game. I know I'm troutting on the parade by bringing politics into a book club, but giving Orson Scott Card money so he can fuel his homophobic nonsense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card#Homosexuality) isn't something I can do. Do me a solid and steal his book and pirate the upcoming movie adaption. Ya know, since you all owe me for the big load of nothing I've done for you and the world at large.

Shorty
07-10-2013, 06:17 PM
It's true that Orson Scott Card is a homophobic asshole, but if you can separate who the author is from his novel, you'll be better off for it. As far as I can tell, there are no underlying homophobic tones in this book.

And if you don't want to give him money for it, use the PDF version I linked to above.

Shauna
07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Just reached Chapter 11. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I feel like I'm just getting to the point that stuff is gonna happen, there's mainly been a lot of build up so far. Here's to the payoff! :excited:

Shorty
07-12-2013, 12:46 AM
The copy I am reading is a revised and altered version because Orson Scott Card got a case of George Lucasitis and I can see every little word and change that has been made and it is driving me nuts. :argh:

Goldenboko
07-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Ender's Game is a great book, however I've read it too many times to be included in this :lol:

Shauna
07-12-2013, 06:24 PM
read it too many times

This is a nonsense statement. ;D

Raistlin
07-15-2013, 04:55 AM
I do need to read more. Or at least take a break from A Song of Ice and Fire for a while. But I can't bring myself to read Ender's Game. I know I'm troutting on the parade by bringing politics into a book club, but giving Orson Scott Card money so he can fuel his homophobic nonsense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card#Homosexuality) isn't something I can do. Do me a solid and steal his book and pirate the upcoming movie adaption. Ya know, since you all owe me for the big load of nothing I've done for you and the world at large.

I don't blame you, as that's exactly why I won't be seeing the movie in theaters. I don't demand artists and authors to whom I give money to be impeccable people, but, at a minimum, I require them to not actively advocate for baseless prejudice and discrimination against other people. I already have an old copy of Ender's Game, though I haven't read it since I found out what a horrific asshole Orson Scott Card is. Just another reason it'll be interesting to see whether and how my opinion has changed.

Shauna
07-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Well, I got this finished the other day.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I totally called that he was actually fighting the buggers in the end. :}

Scotty_ffgamer
07-22-2013, 10:21 PM
The copy I am reading is a revised and altered version because Orson Scott Card got a case of George Lucasitis and I can see every little word and change that has been made and it is driving me nuts. :argh:

Is there a lot altered in the revised version? I think that's the only one I've ever read so I'd be interested in looking at the original version if it's better. Unfortunately, my older edition I had was given to a friend so I no longer have access to it.

Shorty
07-22-2013, 10:23 PM
It's just little words and written/added phrases. Nothing major. I'm just a stickler is all!

Rantz
07-22-2013, 10:55 PM
I've read Ender's Game, so we'll see if I feel like/am able to finish it in time. In any case, I'd love to get in on this moving on since I've been terribly lazy with reading forever.

Shauna
07-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Well, July is almost up. We should probably look into getting the next book chosen! :3

Jinx
07-23-2013, 12:12 AM
I like the suggestion of Gone Girl.

krissy
07-23-2013, 05:07 AM
SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD

AND THEN XENOCIDE

Shorty
07-23-2013, 05:09 AM
krissy I will read Speaker For the Dead with you

Shauna
07-23-2013, 06:24 PM
I will certainly be looking into the rest of the Ender Trilogy, but let us expand into something outside the realms of this particular book series for the next few picks. :} I hope to get at least 3 books in before the book club inevitably dies.

fire_of_avalon
07-30-2013, 02:43 AM
I would still do Gone Girl! I couldn't find a copy of Ender's Game in enough time to play in July. I suck. But I will read pretty much anything and the sooner it's picked the better off I'll be to go find it!

The Man
07-30-2013, 04:37 AM
I have an ARC of Gone Girl somewhere. I'll participate if I can find it.

Shorty
08-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Cloud Atlas discussion here. Let's make this a big long continual log of our book club (if we can get more than 2-3 people to participate at a time).

And I am going to post my thoughts about Cloud Atlas as I please. It shouldn't matter that I'm already reading it. What matters is that I'm still reading it and it doesn't look like anyone else has even cracked it open and it's already the 7th.

Shauna
08-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Sweet. I'll get my hands on a copy. :3

Jinx
08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
I will too. Sorry, I've been incredibly busy the last week.

fire_of_avalon
08-10-2013, 02:18 AM
I'm gonna get this book tomorrow, I think! Have any of you read David Mitchell before? I've read I think two books by him. Or at least one. I read Ghostwritten and it was really good!

yukina
08-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Gone Girl is going on my to-read list.....next to 20 other books. Fight! :D

Shorty
08-12-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm gonna get this book tomorrow, I think! Have any of you read David Mitchell before? I've read I think two books by him. Or at least one. I read Ghostwritten and it was really good!

I've never read David Mitchell before, but he is fascinatingly intriguing.

This book frustrates the hell out of me, kindof! I just love Mr. Ewing's excerpt and how it's written. I love how words are "misspelled" according to today's standards and I love the manner in which he speaks and narrates. It's a bit confusing at times, though, and on more than one occasion I've had to look up definitions of words in order to fully understand what he's trying to say.

And what the hell is up with ending the South Pacific/Mr. Ewing story mid-sentence? Not cool, David Mitchell. :colbert: Having said that, though, I've moved onto the Letters from Zedelghem story involving Robert Frobisher writing letters to a "Sixsmith." Remembering this film, this was my favorite story next to Neo Seoul.

Kindle says I'm only 9% in. :stare:

Miriel
08-13-2013, 07:31 PM
I was frustrated with the book too in the beginning. I really didn't start to get an inkling of the genius of the book and the author until Luisa Ray's section and then I fell in love with the book during The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish.

Del Murder and I watched the movie last night and I thought it was terrible. Just fucking wrong. I hope the re-make it one day and do a better job of it.

Shorty
08-13-2013, 07:33 PM
I didn't think the movie was great, but it did make me want to read the book. I'm not fond of either Tom Hanks or Halle Berry and both Luisa Ray's story and The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish were my least favorites in the movie.

Miriel
08-13-2013, 08:10 PM
They did the WORST job with Luisa Ray's story. Like, omg. How could they do it so badly?!

But the Cavendish one was one of the few times the movie struck the right tone, the same tone as the book. Part of what's so brilliant about Cloud Atlas is the author's ability to swing completely and authentically from one style of writing to another. I read someone describing the Luisa Ray section as something like an airport thriller/mystery book. And that is exactly how it came across and why it delighted me so much. It was almost cliche on purpose. And then you go from that to Cavendish's story which is written in such a perfectly British way. I mean, so perfect. Then the Sonmi parts were just exactly dystopian too. Really, the book just amps things up and up and gets better as it goes.

I wasn't fond of the 6th and central story though. That one bored me the most and it's mostly cause I found the style to be almost insufferable.

Shorty
08-13-2013, 09:41 PM
But the Cavendish one was one of the few times the movie struck the right tone, the same tone as the book. Part of what's so brilliant about Cloud Atlas is the author's ability to swing completely and authentically from one style of writing to another.

I've found myself thinking this same thing in regard to switching from the South Pacific story and the Letters from Zedelghem story. The way Mitchell is able to change voice so fluidly is amazing. It immediately takes you into the next storyline.

Shauna
08-21-2013, 06:13 PM
lol I have read about 10 pages of this. It has been a stressful month and I have not been much into reading. I will do my best but I don't forsee me being able to join in with any further discussion. :3

Shorty
08-26-2013, 10:07 PM
trout just got interesting with Robert finding a copy of Adam Ewing's journal! Thank god, an explanation as to why Adam's story was cut off mid-sentence. edit: more connections! Sixmith to Luis Ray's story. I am loving this.

Still only 12% in, jesus christ. No way I'm going to finish this by the time the month is over, but I'm going to keep going.

Do we need to start deciding on books for next month since this one was a dud?

Miriel
08-26-2013, 11:42 PM
It's always a dud. :greenie:

Shorty
08-29-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm not terribly far into Luisa Rey's storyline, but I'm not loving it so far. :/ Although I think I may be a bit biased because I cannot stand Halle Barry and I couldn't stand these scenes in the movie, but she's all I have in my head for Luisa Rey. I'm trying to separate the two of them, but it's difficult.

Are we deciding a pick for September?

Shauna
08-29-2013, 09:38 PM
I am taking a step back from this stuff until my life clears up a bit. :3 Cannot focus on books atm.

Shouldn't be more than another week or so, but uh, Sam was taking the lead for this when we spoke last (not that I offered much fight xD) so I suppose we should prod her about it. xD

Araciel
08-30-2013, 01:52 AM
Can I like.. ACTUALLY join?

Jinx
08-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Can I like.. ACTUALLY join?

no gtfo of here son

Calliope
08-30-2013, 03:03 AM
My guess would be if you want more people to join, start with something that's lighter in language and isn't 500 pages long, then hit the members with the more gruelling stuff as you gather speed.

I was scared to read this thread because I thought it would be full of spoilers, but somewhat disappointingly it seems like no-one read the book.

Araciel
08-30-2013, 03:05 AM
In that case, Count of Monte Cristo

EDIT - yeah Calliope it seems people just tell each other books to read that they may have not otherwise.

The Man
08-30-2013, 04:23 AM
I never even got around to picking it up. I've been too preoccupied with other things. I do still want to read it, though.

Miriel
08-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Well... I've already read it but I vote Gone Girl for September because the paperbook version comes out next week!

And it's really a fast read. It was also a super super popular book club selection last year, so if all the old Grandma's out there can read this (I mean really, even Del Murder's Grandma read it!) than so can EoFF!

Calliope
08-30-2013, 09:41 AM
I just laughed at this line: Apart from her precious Nefertiti, her hobbies are pouting and looking martyred.

I'm enjoying Letters from Zedelghem more than the previous chapter.

The Man
08-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Well... I've already read it but I vote Gone Girl for September because the paperbook version comes out next week!I've had a paperback version of it since before the hardcover came out :smug:

Shorty
08-30-2013, 05:26 PM
I can go for Gone Girl!

I am just loving how the stories for Cloud Atlast all tie together. Only a quarter of the way through, still, but things are looking good. My dad kindof spoiled the underlying theme for me when he was telling me to read this last year, and I'm seeing pieces of that theme shine through the writing now.

I think I will continue to read Cloud Atlas into September (and comment on it here). I'll pick up Gone Girl after I'm finished.

Shorty
09-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Updated the title for September to Gone Girl.

fire_of_avalon
09-04-2013, 03:20 AM
OK I AM GOING TO TRY SO HARD TO READ THIS.

noxious.sunshine
09-04-2013, 05:39 PM
I read Gone Girl back in like January or so. It's pretty good. Amy is my new hero and I'm wondering that me reading this book wasn't a bad idea because it's given me -so- many more ideas for revenge.

Johns53ton
09-05-2013, 07:18 AM
I sidle away and read a book myself.http://reouge.blogded.com/1.jpghttp://reouge.blogded.com/2.jpghttp://reouge.blogded.com/3.jpghttp://reouge.blogded.com/4.jpghttp://reouge.blogded.com/5.jpg

Jinx
09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Got my copy from the library today. :excited:

Shorty
09-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Off-topic rant about e-books, because I just looked up Gone Girl to buy it.

I have to say that I'm kindof pissed how much books on Kindle and Nook cost. I was kindof against the whole e-book thing when it first started, but I thought that atleast the prices of digital copies would go down due to the fact that they aren't being mass-produced and therefore require no materials. It's fine for a creator to be paid for their work, but the fact that digital copies that I find are really only a dollar or two shy of the actual paperback price makes me much more inclined to just buy a physical copy instead. Sometimes I've found that digital copies of books are even more than physical copies and that is just plain absurd to me. I thought the whole reason being for books priced they way they are is based on a) marketability and b) cost and materials.

I suppose this problem would be entirely void if I were to just go to the library, but it's a problem still, nonetheless.

Miriel
09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Creative works are priced the way they are because of the creative work, not because of the cost to physically reproduce the work.

I sell 5x7 prints for $20. The paper/ink itself only costs me about a dollar. People aren't paying me $20 for the paper, they're paying me $20 for the image.

I do think ebooks should be priced lower than physical books because personally, I think there is a big advantage to having the physical book. The physicality of it is worth something. But I'm not sure how much less it should be priced at because the work is still the same work. The consumption of the work is pretty much going to be the same, whether you read it on your Kindle or in a book. Maybe it should be like... 75% the cost of the physical book? You can also borrow ebooks through libraries too so that's another cost effective option.

Jinx
09-05-2013, 07:35 PM
You should definitely get a library card. Even if you're only purchasing one $15 book a month, you'll be saving $15!

noxious.sunshine
09-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Off-topic rant about e-books, because I just looked up Gone Girl to buy it.

I have to say that I'm kindof pissed how much books on Kindle and Nook cost. I was kindof against the whole e-book thing when it first started, but I thought that atleast the prices of digital copies would go down due to the fact that they aren't being mass-produced and therefore require no materials. It's fine for a creator to be paid for their work, but the fact that digital copies that I find are really only a dollar or two shy of the actual paperback price makes me much more inclined to just buy a physical copy instead. Sometimes I've found that digital copies of books are even more than physical copies and that is just plain absurd to me. I thought the whole reason being for books priced they way they are is based on a) marketability and b) cost and materials.

I suppose this problem would be entirely void if I were to just go to the library, but it's a problem still, nonetheless.

tuebl.ca

works with google books, moon+ reader, and whatever.

Gone Girl was on there last I checked.

The Man
09-06-2013, 04:36 AM
When I re-bought the first three volumes of the Song of Ice and Fire series (I misplaced my copies) I specifically compared the e-book prices with the mass-market paperbacks. They were exactly the same price, so I went with the mass-market versions, not because I have a particular affinity for physical books but because, as an employee of a certain large bookstore chain, I get a discount on physical books that I don't get on e-books. If publishers really wanted to save money on printing costs they'd price their e-books more reasonably.

That said, they recently reissued the Harry Potter series in new trade paperback editions that are absolutely fucking gorgeous and I'm having a hard time resisting the temptation to pay the $75 or whatever I'd have to pay to get the boxed set.

Jinx
09-06-2013, 10:04 PM
So far I'm really enjoying this. I'm a bit surprised, as it's not really a book I'd choose for myself; I'm not a fan of mystery/crime novels, although there's a lot more at play here than that. I think it's really interesting that I don't know who to identify/side with. Whenever it's a Nick chapter, I'm sympathetic to Nick. When it's an Amy chapter, I'm sympathetic to Amy.

I really loved this line, btw: "...he informs me that Missoura is a magical place, the most beautiful in the world, no state more glorious." I mean, I hate that she used Missoura, because it reinforces that stereotype that it's okay to call Missouri that, but that line made me incredibly homesick. I found myself smiling and nodding and not even meaning to. I think that's part of the reason I love this book: so much of what's in it is familiar to me.

Also, I saw she wrote another book set in Missouri (and Kansas), so I looked her up. Gillian Flynn was born in Chicago, but grew up in Kansas City, MO. That really touches my heart a lot.

Shorty
09-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I read that as "Missoula" first and thought "who the hell thinks that about Missoula"

Jinx
09-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Wow. Just finished. What a mindfuck. Amy and Nick totally deserve one another. I was really upset that he didn't kill her when he was choking her. I really wanted to see the psycho bitch dead.

noxious.sunshine
09-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Like I said... Amy is a genius. Hahaha

Jinx
09-26-2013, 12:15 AM
She's a hardcore :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

noxious.sunshine
09-26-2013, 03:12 AM
..... Dancing robot?

That's all I got out of that. Sorry.

Del Murder
11-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Is this still a thing?

Shorty
11-26-2013, 02:32 AM
I'm pretty much knee-deep in a backlog of books, so I probably won't participate for a while if it continues.