PDA

View Full Version : Will this game have RP servers?

Pike
06-29-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't actually roleplay (outside of my mind, anyway) but stupid names bother me so I only play on RP servers in MMOs. (RP servers still have people with stupid names but usually not to the same extent.)

So will this game have any?

Ouch!
06-29-2013, 05:50 PM
There are not plans for designated RP servers so far as I am aware.

Pike
06-29-2013, 07:28 PM
:( Oh well, was worth an ask.

Jinx
06-29-2013, 11:25 PM
I'd like to RP in this game, because I think it'd be much easier to keep up with the lore, as opposed to WoW.

Pike
06-29-2013, 11:36 PM
After immersing myself in TES lore for a while any other video game lore is kindergarten.

Jinx
06-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah, but, at least for me, picking up a game with a wide past lore is hard. If you aren't part of it from the beginning, it can be difficult to grasp.

Mirage
06-30-2013, 02:18 AM
There is an unofficial roleplaying server. I forgot which one the community or whatever decided on, but I know a girl who is going there so I can ask her about it tomorrow.

-edit-
Or I can just search my skype logs. It's Balmung.

Rostum
06-30-2013, 03:41 AM
Eww, RP servers...

Citizen Bleys
06-30-2013, 06:24 AM
If you think that RP in MMOs is a good idea, play Star Trek Online and learn the error of your ways.

Regional servers may make it possible to do in FFXIV, but it never would have worked in FFXI due to language differences. You can't really roleplay through auto-trans. The Japanese don't understand what's so funny about {meat} {rod}.

Miriel
06-30-2013, 07:41 AM
The RPers in FFXI always used to cracked me up. Don't know how anyone can sustain a "role" like that for any significant length of time.

Aside from those who role played as being female when they were in fact male.

Pike
06-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Eww, RP servers...

The only good kind of servers :love:

If you think that RP in MMOs is a good idea, play Star Trek Online and learn the error of your ways.

I can see this bothering me just because I know a lot about Star Trek and I'd get twitchy about seeing anything misused.

Aside from those who role played as being female when they were in fact male.

I pretty much only play male characters ;)

Loony BoB
06-30-2013, 10:41 AM
When you say you don't like stupid names, what do you mean? Because I don't know if you've seen the name Ouch! intends on using but for me, that is a stupid name. And that's the kind of names you can expect on an RP server in this game, because all the naming conventions are bloody weird.

Also, and this is important for you, Pike: Lore (http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/491)

Finally, the fact that you're considering names to be more important than playing with the rest of us EoFFErs makes me reconsider how awesome you are. >=(

Pike
06-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Ouch!'s name is lore friendly and thus a good name.

I like knowing that people put thought into their character like that. It reminds me that I'm not alone in doing mental roleplaying :)

Loony BoB
06-30-2013, 10:49 AM
You think my name of Loony Bob is a stupid name for my character, then. :( Psh to you! Maybe you BELONG on a different server!

*runs away crying*

Elpizo
06-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Which actually raises the question: how DO people decide what to name their character?

I remember picking my 1.x character's name from "the Silmarillion", due to all names I came up with myself having been taken (a common problem when naming characters). I actually liked that name a lot, so I think I'm gonna reuse it for ARR if I can.

Madame Adequate
06-30-2013, 02:24 PM
I used to care about lore names, but then I saw Beyonce Targaryen, so I now only care about names that are perfect in every respect.

Mirage
07-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Which actually raises the question: how DO people decide what to name their character?

I remember picking my 1.x character's name from "the Silmarillion", due to all names I came up with myself having been taken (a common problem when naming characters). I actually liked that name a lot, so I think I'm gonna reuse it for ARR if I can.

I sometimes look up actual names from (to us) exotic areas of the world. My current character name in FFXI is actually a slightly modified persian name. I also sometimes use name generators for inspiration, and look for things that sound kind of nice, and then change a letter here and there.

I almost never use names that are taken directly from popular media/culture.

Carl the Llama
07-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't actually roleplay (outside of my mind, anyway) but stupid names bother me so I only play on RP servers in MMOs. (RP servers still have people with stupid names but usually not to the same extent.)

I don't see why this is an issue when you should clearly be on Sargatanas. :colbert:

I Don't Need A Name
07-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Yeah, but, at least for me, picking up a game with a wide past lore is hard. If you aren't part of it from the beginning, it can be difficult to grasp.

Better get researching all of the 1.x based goings on if you wanna be up and ready for ARR then :monster:

Jinx
07-03-2013, 12:24 AM

Better get researching all of the 1.x based goings on if you wanna be up and ready for ARR then :monster:

Does it really matter in the end? I'm still gonna end up being the fairy queen chosen one kitty girl.

Pike
07-03-2013, 10:38 AM

I don't see why this is an issue when you should clearly be on Sargatanas. :colbert:

More like you guys should clearly be on an RP server! ;)

Loony BoB
07-03-2013, 11:35 AM
For what it's worth, no matter where you go you will come across people with 'stupid' names. Seriously. Lore-relevant names are everywhere, too. The RP server could be filled with RP'ers named Big Wang, Kitty Galore, Mmmmm Inger and Cccccc cccccccc because that's just what happens. Balmung was the official RP server but in all honesty some of the people I saw asking about the RP server elsewhere had very silly names. So long asthey aren't like Ccccccc ccccccc (ie, bots) I rarely care about names.

Good people > Good names.

Pike
07-03-2013, 11:39 AM
For what it's worth, no matter where you go you will come across people with 'stupid' names.

I'm well aware of this. I ran into many stupid names on the RP servers I ran into in WoW. However the prevalence of them as compared to on a non-RP server is much lower.

You guys have to realize that my main enjoyment of an MMO comes from getting into my character and roleplaying and immersion and stuff like that. I can't tell how many times I tried rolling a character on a normal WoW server to play with friends and then quitting within hours because I just couldn't do it. There was no sense that people were putting any thought into their characters and it just killed all enjoyment for me. I simply couldn't do it.

Go ahead and make fun of me, I'm just telling you how I operate in this kind of game. xD

Loony BoB
07-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Awww, and I was wanting to party up with you. :( Gutting. Oh well, I hope you find enjoyment on whatever Balmung became!

Pike
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Well if there's no official RP server then there's no point and I'll just have to learn to deal with it :monster:

Del Murder
07-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Stupid is subjective. To me, Ouch's name with all his y's is much dumber than something like, say, Seymour Butz, which is awesome.

Pike
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Well, non-lore, then.

Del Murder
07-03-2013, 01:22 PM
But the Butz family has been a cornerstone of the Gridania plumbing guild for generations!

Loony BoB
07-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Well, non-lore, then.
Frediswitha was a commonly seen NPC name in the old game. I hated it so much because it's a fucking incomplete sentence, not a name. :stare:

Jinx
07-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Well, non-lore, then.
Frediswitha was a commonly seen NPC name in the old game. I hated it so much because it's a smurfing incomplete sentence, not a name. :stare:

Frediswitha Name Meaning - English Girl Frediswitha (http://www.babynology.com/meaning-frediswitha-f20.html)

Loony BoB
07-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I could name my kid Jimmyisliftinga and give it some vague definition they can read bout a hundred years down the line, but that would only mean I too would deserve a slap for coming up with an incomplete sentence as a name for my kid.

theundeadhero
07-03-2013, 09:28 PM
But he would have a last name too. Jimmyisliftinga Towns. Sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but apparently Jimmy is lifting a towns. Maybe name him Jimmyisliftingafew?

Luv Truck is a perfectly fitting name on an RP server for a giant female tank lady :(

I Don't Need A Name
07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Now Jimmyisliftinga Skirt would be a much more suitable name

theundeadhero
07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
My last name makes this whole thing go wrong.
Jimmyisliftinga Johnston :whimper:

List of things never to name my children.

Mirage
07-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I have a feeling that sexual innuendoish nicknames wouldn't be too rare in a world populated mostly by thieves, seamen, pirates, gamblers and drunkards.

Also, fred is still the norwegian word for peace. The name Frediswitha is still retarded. WHAT IS SHE WITH? TELL ME, OR I WON'T CRAFT THIS TIT FOR YOU.

Btw pike, I am sure I could stay in character, if you want me to :p

Jinx
07-04-2013, 09:48 PM
I have a feeling that sexual innuendoish nicknames wouldn't be too rare in a world populated mostly by thieves, seamen, pirates, gamblers and drunkards.

Also, fred is still the norwegian word for peace. The name Frediswitha is still retarded. WHAT IS SHE WITH? TELL ME, OR I WON'T CRAFT THIS TIT FOR YOU.
:p
Btw pike, I am sure I could stay in character, if you want me to

seamen

Mirage
07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I was sitting here for a good 5 minutes trying to decide if I should use that word or not.