PDA

View Full Version : New Job

Laddy
06-30-2013, 09:29 AM
I have a job as a server at Applebee's in a (very small) town in rural Tennessee situated right in front of a Wal-Mart.

It sucks. Here are the things I've learned:

Apparently, I have an accent. And I talk funny.
Soccer is gay; don't show it on our the TV.
There is absolutely nothing people won't put ranch dressing on.
Pepsi is apparently terrible. Some will refuse to drink any Pepsi products.
Also, Applebee's is "fine dining".
You don't need teeth to eat.
Apparently, I look, act, speak, and carry myself much like a prince.
We can't add shots of pure alcohol to your drink because Obama.

This job sucks. Is there any jobs you had that were terrible?

Pike
06-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Kmart. Terrible management who have no idea what they want, they try to shove internet stuff on their customers even though all of their customers are 80 years old, their point-of-sale computers are wrecks and crash several times a day, none of their ways of doing anything make any sense, and I really hope they go out of business soon.

Honorable mention to Sears which is owned by the same company as Kmart is and so is nearly as bad. Somehow their computers were more stable despite being as old as I am.

Shorty
06-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Sears Corp is awful.

I worked at Wendy's when I was a kid and that sucked. Other than that, I was a receptionist for a good many years and that sucked as well.

Dat Matt
06-30-2013, 11:15 AM
I currently work in small office dealing with Accounts for a multi-national mechanics in the UK. The work is fairly easy, but in massive quantities. This is made more difficult by the fact that the program I use to run it is 24 years old, which is older than me, and does not work most the time. I'm either on top of my work so much I can't do anything more, so so far behind on all of my ledgers than I don't know what to do to keep up.

I've always quite fancied the idea of living in a small town with very little commerce. Not in the likes of a super market or a restaurant, but something with low maintenance like a drug store or a video games shop. I seem to like the idea that having nothing to do all day but relax, occasionally deal with a customer and get paid the same as if I was working a high maintenance Job would be the best.

Aulayna
06-30-2013, 11:30 AM
My job actually isn't that bad apart from arsehole customers and the fact that I hate being numbers driven which, as a department, seems to come at the expense of people doing their jobs properly just to hit numbers.

It has it's good days and bad days - I'm just bored of it more than anything else as I've been doing it for 5 years now.

Chris
06-30-2013, 12:30 PM
I would not survive in rural Tennessee.

Pumpkin
06-30-2013, 01:19 PM
My job sucks because I spend hours cleaning and cooking and I don't get paid to contribute to the finances :(.

escobert
06-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Kmart. Terrible management who have no idea what they want, they try to shove internet stuff on their customers even though all of their customers are 80 years old, their point-of-sale computers are wrecks and crash several times a day, none of their ways of doing anything make any sense, and I really hope they go out of business soon.

Honorable mention to Sears which is owned by the same company as Kmart is and so is nearly as bad. Somehow their computers were more stable despite being as old as I am.

I once saw something that said like Target and walmart spend I can't remember but say $3 of upgrades per square foot where as kmart spend like .75 cents.

Pike
06-30-2013, 03:58 PM

I once saw something that said like Target and walmart spend I can't remember but say $3 of upgrades per square foot where as kmart spend like .75 cents.

I'm not surprised.

Target is the best place I've ever worked, by the way.

Denmark
06-30-2013, 04:43 PM
My current job, ugh. I do software development at a small startup company.

- we don't have a development process
- I don't really care for the product we make
- I haven't been given one good, solid project spec yet
- I keep getting thrown projects that I can do about half to completion and then my requests for more information so that I can continue the project are ignored because the person who can give me more info works offsite and won't even acknowledge that I've sent an email
- I'm working through this weekend fixing something that I didn't break, given almost no information on what to fix
- a bunch of other little more personal things that shouldn't bother me from a professional standpoint but they do because my boss keeps bringing them up
- rant rant rant rant rant

It sucks, though, because I looked for a job for over a year and this was the first offer I got. I'm scared to give it up too soon (I've only been working here about 3 months). I've made my grievances known but that hasn't changed anything. We have a big project coming up starting tomorrow, supposedly with a development process involved. It should be something NEW not just fixing other people's broken stuff. I definitely won't leave before that's done just because I'm a good person.

Sephex
06-30-2013, 06:08 PM
I worked at an Ice Arena for extra cash awhile back. Though the last couple pf years I only worked on Saturdays, I still did not receive a raise even though the minimum wage was raised to where my pay level was at. When I pointed this out, I was told that the Park District was struggling, so I let it go. Again, it was only an extra cash job.

I later found out that they hired a bunch of teens for three to four dollars ahead of me. At that time I found a job much better than my current full time job, so I quit the other job, but left the ice arena with very little warning. They called and complained at me when I was supposed to open, so I basically said something snooty and never looked back.

Hollycat
06-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Double Daves. I only worked there for a week, but the guy cursed at me for doing exactly what he told me to do.

I was let go because it took me 20 minutes to fill all 8 machines with ice. What the hell was I supposed to do, carry 10 buckets at a time? Teleport it?

Jowy
06-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Serve from the left, clear from the right! I love waiting tables...just not at Applebee's. :aimsun:

kotora
06-30-2013, 08:44 PM
The worst was being a mailman. Long-ass days, little to no material support from the company (bike broken? sux2bu if you don't have a scooter license), and had to walk when it snowed heavily. I quit after they called me and wanted me to do an extra neighbourhood for the same pay. Then I realized how stupid the whole thing was.

Never went back to unskilled labor since then, and I plan to keep it that way. :monster:

noxious.sunshine
06-30-2013, 10:02 PM
I effing loathe Crapplebees. I've eaten there like 3x at 2 different locations (in Nashville & TK) & the service was awful each time.

I also worked at Wal Mart. I felt a piece of my soul dying everytime I went in there. I was also preggo and bored all the time, so I'd switch the caps on the spray paint over in paint and randomly page my manager to call me just to bug him. I also called Electronics from Paint and asked them to turn the tvs up so I could hear "Surfs Up" from my area. Ha.

I hate serving though. Sadly, I must get my liquor license renewed like now cuz mine's expired. Since I'm stuck doing it. Bleh.

escobert
07-01-2013, 02:14 AM
I also worked at Wal Mart. I felt a piece of my soul dying everytime I went in there. I was also preggo and bored all the time, so I'd switch the caps on the spray paint over in paint and randomly page my manager to call me just to bug him. I also called Electronics from Paint and asked them to turn the tvs up so I could hear "Surfs Up" from my area. Ha.

I would kill you at work. Literally. Dead.

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 02:43 AM
I was actually 2 of my mgrs favorite person ever. Nah. I've calmed down a lot since then. I was like 22. Working like 65 hrs a week between 2 jobs. My coworkers thought it was funny anyway..

escobert
07-01-2013, 02:49 AM
I worked in inventory management at home depot for awhile so changing spay can tops would drive me nuts sending my count and ordering off :p

Denmark
07-01-2013, 03:00 AM
spay can

Bob Barker would approve

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Lmao that's understandable. Fuhhh. I need to find a job. I Rly just dgaf anymore abt these crap jobs, so I have little to no desire to do well, though I'm really good at serving. Gag.

I'm about to put a profile on one of those sugar daddy sites and just be a lush the rest of my life. Haha.

Unbreakable Will
07-01-2013, 05:34 AM
Lmao that's understandable. Fuhhh. I need to find a job. I Rly just dgaf anymore abt these crap jobs, so I have little to no desire to do well, though I'm really good at serving. Gag.

I'm about to put a profile on one of those sugar daddy sites and just be a lush the rest of my life. Haha.
I have copious amounts of booze. ;)

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 05:45 AM
I think you just made an offer I can't refuse..... It's a match made in heaven.

Haaa

Shlup
07-01-2013, 05:48 AM
Applebees in rural Tennessee... I almost want to go there just to people watch.

My worst job was at Target. I told them I wouldn't work past 11:00 since I had morning classes, so they scheduled me until 10:30... and then just expect me to stay until 1:00 or so in the morning. On my first day I mentioned going home soon, and the other people just laughed. Being asked to stay late once in a while is one thing, but just being expected to stay an extra three hours or more every single night is bull. I left my resignation on the desk and walked out after a week.

KinderCare was pretty rough sometimes too. I liked the job, but the management was garbage, and I don't approve of the way that company operates overall. During the summer we were short handed so most days I worked 11+ hours with only one break for lunch.

Unbreakable Will
07-01-2013, 05:51 AM
I think you just made an offer I can't refuse..... It's a match made in heaven.

Haaa
:smug:

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Awesome. lulz.. The resident Drunk Couple. xD may the drinking... Continue!

Unbreakable Will
07-01-2013, 06:07 AM
It shall, and let it be known;

"There shall be a river of alcohol, and bitch beer that groweth forth from the Alcohol Tree in my garden. For whosoever believeth in beer, shall have an everlasting buzz."
- from the book of Shutthehellupanddrink 1:1

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 06:13 AM
"And on the first day, God created beer and liquor, and it was good."

1.) Thou shalt not waste alcohol.
(It's alcohol abuse in the worst form)

2.) Thou shalt not pass out amongst your friends
(Lest you become the butt of every joke and subsequently be effed with in various ways to be documented with photos and posted on places like.. Here. And Facebook).

Unbreakable Will
07-01-2013, 06:20 AM
"And Jesus said,
'Sup homie, my blood is wine. So let's open an artery and get shitfaced.'"

Shorty
07-01-2013, 06:20 AM
This isn't the drunk thread, asses.

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 06:23 AM
You're right, Shorty, and thank you for pointing us in the direction of the appropriate thread to take our shenanigans to.

Technically speaking though... Drinking -is- my current occupation, so it's totally related to the thread.

Shorty
07-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Technically speaking, my current occupation is a Final Fantasy forum moderator who has nothing better to do at 10:30pm than troll insubordinate members about thread derailment. :shobon:

Pike
07-01-2013, 10:14 AM
My worst job was at Target. I told them I wouldn't work past 11:00 since I had morning classes, so they scheduled me until 10:30... and then just expect me to stay until 1:00 or so in the morning. On my first day I mentioned going home soon, and the other people just laughed. Being asked to stay late once in a while is one thing, but just being expected to stay an extra three hours or more every single night is bull. I left my resignation on the desk and walked out after a week.

To be fair this has happens in every retail place I've ever worked. Now I never close anymore :)

Shoeberto
07-01-2013, 01:33 PM
My current job, ugh. I do software development at a small startup company.

- we don't have a development process
- I don't really care for the product we make
- I haven't been given one good, solid project spec yet
- I keep getting thrown projects that I can do about half to completion and then my requests for more information so that I can continue the project are ignored because the person who can give me more info works offsite and won't even acknowledge that I've sent an email
- I'm working through this weekend fixing something that I didn't break, given almost no information on what to fix
- a bunch of other little more personal things that shouldn't bother me from a professional standpoint but they do because my boss keeps bringing them up
- rant rant rant rant rant

It sucks, though, because I looked for a job for over a year and this was the first offer I got. I'm scared to give it up too soon (I've only been working here about 3 months). I've made my grievances known but that hasn't changed anything. We have a big project coming up starting tomorrow, supposedly with a development process involved. It should be something NEW not just fixing other people's broken stuff. I definitely won't leave before that's done just because I'm a good person.
I feel for you. Even having a half-assed process is better than a no-assed process. I'm not sure it's possible to be successful with a team larger than 2 people without something to herd all of the cats. Best of luck.

I'll have things to say in about two weeks when I start my new job, I'm sure. I can say this, though: Don't. Work. Corporate. Ever.

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah. Wal Mart was the same. When my school job started back up in the fall, I talked to my manager to get my hours changed from 5 - 10 to 4 -9 'cuz being up 'till 11/11:30 was killing me. So he did. But I worked in domestics and in spite of my antics, I still made sure my department was totally zoned before I left. Welllll then there's like a gap from 9 p.m. to like 1 a.m. between when I left and night shift actually got around to taking all the pallets out and stocking so my area would get trashed during those 4 or so hrs 'cuz I wasn't there. These 2 other managers harrassed the ish out of me over it even though I told them that I'm not even -there- when that stuff happens and they're not my managers, so they need to back off and I'm preggo, etc whatever. They tried to give me a "final" write up and I just took my name tag off, slung it, and hit the stupid beesh in the face with it & walked out. I was livid over the situation. I was like 7 months along, though, so it was kinda time for me to be on my way out the door anyway.

Cuchulainn
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm going to America next week and I've told the girl i'm staying with that I want to spend a day in walmart with a camera.

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 03:00 PM
hahaha.. WalMart is only funny in the South though. I think.

The K Mart in my 'hood though was super ghetto. It wasn't old people - it was all tweakers and pill heads shopping there. Shame. I remember as a kid, KMart actually being really nice. It's gone downhill.

Pike
07-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Wal-Mart is truly a special place. I really hate casting a wide judgment net on a group of people but good lord the difference between your average Wal-Mart shopper and your average, say, Target shopper is just unbelievable. It never fails to surprise me on the rare occasions that I talk myself into stepping foot inside Wal-Mart.

Jinx
07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I just got a new job :D

Shoeberto
07-01-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm going to America next week and I've told the girl i'm staying with that I want to spend a day in walmart with a camera.
Make sure to find the most ghetto and/or rural one possible. You'll get a lot more interesting encounters there compared to ones in urban areas.

I mean, they're interesting everywhere, but you really need to slum it if you wanna get the most bang for your buck.

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Ooooo I love Target. I'm obsessed with Target. I can't shop there otherwise I'll go broke very quickly. It's hard to control myself.

Shiny
07-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Working for a Film Producer who was utterly insane. He would throw chairs at his assistant and have a lot of other really random temper tantrums. He asked for his assistant to get him a sandwhich, but he was busy and sick that day, so I just got it for him. And then he threw it out saying that it wasn't the same type of teriyaki that he saw yesterday. Then he needed a disclosure agreement printed, so I had to go out of my way to get that for him and run through the rain even, and he ended up leaving. So I had to get in a taxi and go to the production office that his assistant said he was at only to find that they had left there too. THEN to his apartment suite where he was lying in bed like a bloated whale and didn't even need to the letter. Seriously one of the worse people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. His wife was also batshit insane and an entitled, talentless brat. Part of the reason why I am on the fence about moving to L.A. is because there is way too many people like them there.

Shorty
07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Do you work for Woody Allen?

Ouch!
07-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Barnes and Noble was a pretty soul-sucking experience for a person who loves books as much as I do.

noxious.sunshine
07-02-2013, 04:30 PM
But if you've ever been a server or are one, it can at times, be extremely funny.

Story time!

This one time, I was at work @ Logan's Roadhouse & they had these sirloin & (insert other meat here) combos. These construction workers come in and get seated in my section... 1 of the dudes looked like he was jacked up on steroids. He orders the 6 oz sirloin & grilled chicken combo. There's an option to get an 8 oz instead, so..

Me: Would you like to get the 6 oz or go ahead and get the 8 oz?
Dude: What's the difference?
Me: (Without missing a beat, and in my cheerful chipper preppy cheerleader voice, like he's a retard) The 8 oz. is bigger than the 6 oz.

They all looked at me like I'd lost my mind & I just blank stared for a few seconds before realizing he meant the -price- difference.

Me: OH. You meant the -price-.. $5.

Dude gets up to go to the bathroom after declining and finishes ordering and I'm trying my hardest to not die laughing at myself while taking the other guys' orders, but I couldn't help snickering.. I finally had to ask them to give me a minute and walk away so I could laugh and get it outta my system. I barely made it to the line and giggled like a retard for about 5 minutes. My bff was like "This better be good 'cuz my wife done pissed me off", so I get the story out, barely, and everybody was like "Dude.. You're an asshole." My bff had to walk away he was laughing so hard at me. Yeah, I was baked that morning. And I was surprised that they still left me a decent tip. Just thinking about that still makes me giggle.

Shorty
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
I am combining this with the New Jobs thread because it is about jobs that suck.

noxious.sunshine
07-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Oh! Ok! lol that's fine.

So don't monopolize me!

hahaha

Shiny
07-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Do you work for Woody Allen?
Nope! Is he horrible?

Shorty
07-03-2013, 06:53 AM
I was just thinking about a Seinfeld episode in which he was awful or something. The description of your director reminded me of him.

Shiny
07-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Oh, the guy I was talking about is a producer. He is too talentless to direct.

Shorty
07-03-2013, 06:56 AM
my bad xD

ThornQueen
07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
I work at GameStop...therefore the majority of my job is awful.
But, I love most of my coworkers. So it makes it not suck quite as bad.

LocoColt04
07-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Well thanks TQ, I try. ;)

Congrats on the new job, Laddy. Stay in one piece.

Also, congrats TB but shame on you for not telling us what it is.

I used to work at a United Artists theater... in a shit neighborhood. Now that was fun. LITERALLY EVERY MADEA MOVIE SMELLED LIKE FRIED CHICKEN. It's an observation. And I remember half of them smelling distinctly like marijuana as well. Imagine that. Marijuana-flavored deep-fried KFC. Now imagine going home and your nostrils smell like marijuana-flavored deep-fried KFC. And the roof of your mouth tastes like marijuana-flavored deep-fried KFC. And you have to wash your shoes, because you stepped in marijuana-flavored deep-fried KFC.

~*~Celes~*~
07-04-2013, 04:34 AM
I work for a family-owned store chain similar to wal-mart, but more local (we're located in illinois, kentucky, michigan, ohio, and soon to be in wisconsin), and it's not a bad job but the managers and the customers leave A LOT to be desired as is the usual way of retail food service.

noxious.sunshine
07-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Where do you work?

Araciel
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Worked at a factory once bending heating elements. On ten hour night shifts.

I didn't kill myself so that's a plus.

Shlup
07-06-2013, 05:14 AM

To be fair this has happens in every retail place I've ever worked. Now I never close anymore :)

Not Disneyland. We get shit done, son. And we have quite an enjoyable time most nights.

Jessweeee♪
07-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Haha I work for Wal-Mart. The experience definitely differs from store to store. I've been a front end cashier, service desk associate, and over-the-counter pharmacy sales associate. I'm trying to be a pharmacy tech now. I've got the position but there's some mess transferring me over because of technical issues with job codes and whatnots. So far my favorite thing to do is the service desk. A lot of people don't like it because it's where you get the worst treatment from customers but it's also where you get the best stories to tell. People get so mad when you tell them you can't refund things you don't sell without a receipt. Also it's really fun watching people squirm when you've caught on to a scam and you hint at it very strongly. I would totally stay at that position for life if it paid a liveable wage. The only thing I don't like about it besides the pay is the erratic hours. Usually at my store they're pretty good about not doing this but Saturday I've got a shift from 5:30PM to 11PM as a cashier, and then Sunday I'm opening the service desk at 7AM. I was training to be a customer service manager but the pharmacy manager asked for me specifically to be a tech and that pays more so I jumped on it. I feel kinda like I sold my soul.