PDA

View Full Version : Which console controller did you prefer?

Aulayna
07-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Question is in the title!

This isn't just limited to this generation - so if you preferred the rectangularness of the NES controller or the smooth curves of the 360 controller... just say!

For me it was the N64, that was pretty much the perfect controller for me. Even with the weight rumble pak plugged in.

Pike
07-01-2013, 10:21 AM
N64 was kind of a weird controller but I liked it anyway.

The Xbox 360 controller is good too.

Denmark
07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
SNES is hands-down GOAT

Jinx
07-01-2013, 12:07 PM
When I was a kid, I thought the N64 controller looked like a penis.

Yeah, I don't know either.

Formalhaut
07-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Call me basic, but I was fine with the PS2/PS3 controller.

Two analog sticks. Directional buttons. 4 Face buttons. 4 Shoulder buttons. Start and Select button. That's all I need and it served me fine!

NeoCracker
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
While the PS3 is my favorite this gen, Gamecube had it all.

Slothy
07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
The PS3 controller is basically perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Bolivar
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Never had too much of a preference, never used a controller I didn't like. The only criticism I would have against one is that I wish Nintendo had a second stick on the N64 controller, since four camera buttons was forward-looking as to where games were headed, but not quite far enough ahead.

I'm partial to having analog sticks horizontally aligned, it feels more intuitive for shooters and, of course, katamari ^_^

Flying Mullet
07-01-2013, 03:59 PM
SNES is hands-down GOAT
What he said! Although I have no idea what "GOAT" means but as long as it means something along the lines of "stellar" then I'm hip to that. :aimsun:

DK
07-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I believe the hip slang our boy Denmark is using stands for "Greatest of All Time" dear chadmonkey.

Personally my favourite is the gamecube just because for mine it's by far the most comfortable controller I ever used.

This generation it depends on the game, 360 by far the best pad for FPS games and strangely for Fifa, however is utterly and completely gash for fighting games. PS pad is the king for fighters as far as pads go, not so much for FPS, but that's just personal preference to where I like things for certain games. I hate having the left stick down low for shooters, but find the 360 pad way too big to play fighters comfortably, and the D-pad on the 360 is the worst d-pad in the history of consoles.

Flying Mullet
07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I believe the hip slang our boy Denmark is using stands for "Greatest of All Time" dear chadmonkey.
Excellent. That makes more sense than Generalized Occupational Aptitude Test.

Raistlin
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
PS3. The PS2 controller was already near-perfect, and for once Sony didn't change what wasn't broken.

Though I will say that the N64 controller was oddly comfortable for some games.

Madame Adequate
07-01-2013, 05:20 PM
The original XBox controller before they shrank it was the best controller ever. It was actually a decent size for my hands and I didn't have to contort myself like I did for the GameCube or anything. I truly expected better of you Dan. I don't understand how anyone can think that's a good controller, aside from feeling cheap and plasticky it's the only controller I've ever used that causes physical pain within about half an hour.

360 controller is very good too.

But I hope all you tiny-handed freaks responsible for terrible too-small controllers suffer from paper cuts on your little fingers :nonono:

Nicolas
07-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Like lovely DK said. Pretty much that.

Slothy
07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
The original XBox controller before they shrank it was the best controller ever. It was actually a decent size for my hands and I didn't have to contort myself like I did for the GameCube or anything. I truly expected better of you Dan. I don't understand how anyone can think that's a good controller, aside from feeling cheap and plasticky it's the only controller I've ever used that causes physical pain within about half an hour.

360 controller is very good too.

But I hope all you tiny-handed freaks responsible for terrible too-small controllers suffer from paper cuts on your little fingers :nonono:

I'm 6'2" with rather monstrous hands and I couldn't hold that thing comfortably. You're actually only the second person I've met who said that thing was comfortable. And the other person actually once had his thumb start bleeding while playing Tony Hawk because those face buttons are an abomination.

Denmark
07-01-2013, 05:46 PM

sam that's not what a penis looks like

that's what a trident looks like

oh yeah for 3d games I'd say gamecube controller all the way. highly responsive and very comfortable.

Flying Mullet
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM

sam that's not what a penis looks like

that's what a trident looks like
Does this mean you were banned from chat for posting pictures of N64 controllers?

Pumpkin
07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
PS3 controller.

NeoCracker
07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
I just wish the PS3 controller weighed like, 25% more. :p

Skyblade
07-01-2013, 06:17 PM

And now we know why the Rumble Pack was so popular.

For me, the Game Cube had probably the best controller I've ever seen. Comfortable, excellent layout, good responsiveness.

Yar
07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
PS3. It's simplicity is a plus.

It's basically a PS2 controller, but wireless! Too bad they're so damn expensive.

Mercen-X
07-01-2013, 07:11 PM
"PlayStation..!"

Mahad
07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
xbox 360. It handles pretty well. I liked the N64 controller too, but something about that third handle with the d-pad just didn't tick with me.

CimminyCricket
07-01-2013, 08:05 PM
I still love the Playstation controller. I had a PSX controller with the analog sticks, so when the PS2 came out I was still comfortable. The old XBOX controllers were too big and my little hands couldn't hold it very well, so I really didn't like them. The XBOX 360's controller is much better and I like it too, but the PS controllers will always hold my heart and love.

Bierhumpen_Kukki
07-01-2013, 08:52 PM
im also voting for the playstation controller. ill never forget having the ps controller in hand and move lara croft around. it was simply awesome! :D

Mirage
07-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Gamecube did it pretty well. The only thing it was kind of bad at was fighting games, because of the unusual face buttons. However, if you're serious about fighting games, arcade stick or gtfo.

Pike
07-01-2013, 09:38 PM
My big problem with the Gamecube and PS[insert number here] controllers was that they felt really flimsy and thin... to me anyway. Like they were about to snap off in my hands at any moment. And I have really tiny hands.

They weren't bad controllers; they're okay, but I prefer the solidity of Xbox 360's overall.

Rocket Edge
07-01-2013, 09:47 PM
You could argue that you can easily get acustomed to any controller but I always found the PS controllers really comfortable from the get go. Couldn't even have a game of FIFA with the xBox controllers they seemed so foreign.

Shauna
07-01-2013, 10:07 PM
I love the PS2 controller because I spent (spend?) so much time using them. The PS3 is alright, but they've done some weird stuff with the R2/L2 buttons which don't sit right with me.

The 360 controller is also pretty nice, I like that quite a bit.

dandy da oak
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
My hands are too big to find the Gamecube controller comfortable. Playstation controllers are okay, but the Xbox 360 is the most comfortable for me!

escobert
07-02-2013, 12:48 AM
PS3. The PS2 controller was already near-perfect, and for once Sony didn't change what wasn't broken.

Though I will say that the N64 controller was oddly comfortable for some games.

This.

I did like the N64 for say Golden eye or mario kart but a lot of other games no. and they broke easily.

Sony had the best controller without a doubt in my mind. The controller I have for my PC is a logitech that looks just like a PS2 controller just a little fatter.

NorthernChaosGod
07-02-2013, 02:14 AM
The 360 controller is pretty much perfect, the D-pad kind of sucks though. Other than that, the Dreamcast controller was hella comfortable.

Del Murder
07-02-2013, 04:44 AM
While the PS3 is my favorite this gen, Gamecube had it all.
Yeah, my hand has conformed to the PS2/3 controller over the years but Gamecube fit me like a glove.

Pumpkin
07-02-2013, 04:48 AM
The original Nintendo controller. rite? rite?

Pike
07-02-2013, 10:17 AM
GameCube was actually one of my least favorite controllers. It felt like it had too many weird doodads and buttons in odd places.

Polnareff
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Playstation controller. While Microsoft and Nintendo made really unwieldy controllers, Sony kept it traditional.

Besides that controller, I am shocked and dismayed that no one mentioned the Sega Saturn controller. Or even the Genesis 6-button controller. A pox on all of you. :colbert:

Pumpkin
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM
GameCube was actually one of my least favorite controllers. It felt like it had too many weird doodads and buttons in odd places.

Tasura
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
I love the PS2 controller because I spent (spend?) so much time using them. The PS3 is alright, but they've done some weird stuff with the R2/L2 buttons which don't sit right with me.

The 360 controller is also pretty nice, I like that quite a bit.

Yep. Except I've grown accustomed to the R2/L2 buttons now.

Slothy
07-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Besides that controller, I am shocked and dismayed that no one mentioned the Sega Saturn controller. Or even the Genesis 6-button controller. A pox on all of you. :colbert:

It was a great controller that pretty much set the standard for 2D game controllers, and fighting game controllers especially, but it sadly got left behind by the fact that 3D kind of took over. It just wasn't good for 3D games at all. Too much of a one trick pony I'm afraid, and not nearly as comfortable to hold as stuff like the Dual Shock to me.

But still, there's a reason those sweet Street Fighter 4 fight pads Mad Catz released were basically just the Saturn controller.

Psychotic
07-02-2013, 06:12 PM
360 in every aspect other than the aforementioned d-pad abomination.

Hollycat
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm giving my vote to the Vita with Nyko support. two analog sticks, triggers, two touch screens, tilt, classic playstation controls, voice commands, light sensitivity. It's aready a good feel, but if you add the nyko power grip, it becomes like a PS2 controller with screens.

Console controllers... I'm going to go with Dualshock.

Skyblade
07-02-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm giving my vote to the Vita with Nyko support. two analog sticks, triggers, two touch screens, tilt, classic playstation controls, voice commands, light sensitivity. It's aready a good feel, but if you add the nyko power grip, it becomes like a PS2 controller with screens.

Yeah, but the whole "two touch screen" thing really didn't work out.

"Hey, I know, let's add another touch screen. And since people already complain about lack of precise input, let's put it on the back of the device so they can't even see where they're touching."

Bolivar
07-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Yeah the touchpad thing came out of nowhere, I'm glad they're adding it to the DS4 though. All the initial impressions indicate that might actually be quite an amazing controller 8)

Hollycat
07-02-2013, 11:59 PM

Yeah, but the whole "two touch screen" thing really didn't work out.

"Hey, I know, let's add another touch screen. And since people already complain about lack of precise input, let's put it on the back of the device so they can't even see where they're touching."

The front is actually really precise, better than an iphone in my opinions. The back is basically just used for extra buttons though...

ThornQueen
07-03-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm also going to have to go with the dualshock controllers. Most people find the 360 to be the most comfortable, but while I like the triggers and bumpers a bit better it is just too big and clunky in my hands.

I grew up on the dualshocks and so to me, it is just what comes to mind when someone says, "controller" so I will always be partial to it.

Quindiana Jones
07-04-2013, 05:47 AM
I like slightly hefty controllers that I don't feel I could break with my bare hands, so I always preferred the 360 to the PS3. Especially with those horrible skinflaps they put on the PS3 one. Jesus Christ, they're awful. PS2 is also a good controller, but less comfortable for massive sessions.

Araciel
07-05-2013, 08:03 AM
OG xbox...the big one

cause I got these 'hooks.