PDA

View Full Version : Depressing Movies

noxious.sunshine
07-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Since there's a feel good movie thread, it's only natural for this one to come about.

So... Which one are sad to you?

Mine:

My Dog Skip (with Frankie Muniz - reminds me so much of my dog and me and our relationship)

Spirited Away - I watch it, and then I hear the theme song at the end, and I can't help getting teary-eyed, wishing so much that I could go back to being little again. And wishing that my daughter could stay small forever.

Dancer in the Dark (with Bjork & Catherine Deneuve) - Major warning for those who haven't seen it, be prepared. It's not just depressing, but disturbing as well. My sister watched it with me and said she had nightmares and trouble sleeping for a week. ... And had to increase her antidepressant dosage for a bit. You may not find it to be that bad, but for her and me, it was. I've been a fan of Bjork's for a long time and her acting in this movie was amazing - not to mention her singing & the songs.

Secondhand Lions - Just 'cuz

Pan's Labyrinth - It's such a beautiful movie, but I have a meltdown everytime I watch it.

Pumpkin
07-02-2013, 05:14 AM
The Fox and The Hound
White Oleander

Scotty_ffgamer
07-02-2013, 05:27 AM
An American Tail.

Shorty
07-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Pan's Labyrinth does come to mind. I wouldn't say Spirited Away is a depressing movie, though.

A Streetcar Named Desire
Chinatown
Mulholland Drive
Requiem for a Dream
Revolutionary Road (even though it wasn't very good)
The Machinist
The Road

charliepanayi
07-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Grave of the Fireflies
Requiem for a Dream
The End of Evangelion
Seven

noxious.sunshine
07-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Spirited Away has a happy ending, but look up the translation of the theme song on Anime Lyrics.com. That's what gets me. And that song is why Miyazaki Hayao made the movie. That song is why it makes me sad.

Oh lord. An American Tail kills me. As well as The Rescuers. I can't even get through the beginning of The Rescuers without getting teary... And especially when Penny is talking to the cat.. My my.

EDIT:

Land Before Time also. yep. Add that to the list.

Parker
07-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Kes

Shoeberto
07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Requiem for a Dream is so bleak that I can hardly bring myself to watch it anymore.

charliepanayi
07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
I would say that Requiem for a Dream becomes so depressing in its climax that it almost becomes funny.

Shorty
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
ahaha what xD Do elaborate!

noxious.sunshine
07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I haven't seen this movie. I've heard it kinda effs with your head if you're stoned.

Shorty
07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Everything effs with your head if when you're stoned. It is a really fucked up movie, though.

Shoeberto
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
ahaha what xD Do elaborate!
I guess if you look at it in a way where you're wanting to make fun of just how absurdly awful the situations are that each of the characters are in, it could be comical.

But honestly, the way it's edited, particularly with the music, I think it'd be hard to laugh at it. It's smurfing unrelenting. (Think of it like a haunted house attraction, where a guy in a rubber mask comes at you with a neutered chainsaw revving up. You know it's a goofy mask and the chainsaw doesn't work and the whole thing is fun and games. It doesn't make it any less terrifying as it's happening.)

I haven't seen this movie. I've heard it kinda effs with your head if you're stoned.
Maybe? I never watched it like that and but overall I think it's pretty straightforward. Though if you're doing something hard, it might make you rethink your life choices.

Pike
07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Toy Story 3 isn't depressing but god damn if I don't cry at the ending every single time

Chris
07-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Depressing movies (as in being awfully bad):

- Planet of the Apes (2000)
- Starship Troopers
- Serenity
- Dumbo
- The Long Kiss Goodnight
- Aristocats
- Eat, Pray, Love
- Any other Julia Roberts movie

Pike
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Depressing movies (as in being awfully bad):

- Serenity
- Dumbo
- Aristocats

:|

Calliope
07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
The Bridge - Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwl-Pa_QT0M&feature=youtu.be)

Official Control Trailer [Anton Corbijn] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2_B_cWK_M)

We Need To Talk About Kevin (http://youtu.be/ZLRgAe2jLaw)

Rocket Edge
07-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I'll second Seven. Saw made me feel both depressed and angry - really not my type of film.

Sephex
07-02-2013, 07:37 PM
It was my birthday a few years ago. If fell on a Friday which usually means I head over to edczxcvbnm's house and get drunk with other random friends showing up.

He told me that The Road is a great film, and that we should watch it. While we are excessively drinking.

I loved the film. Having said that, after it was over, I politely excused myself to the bathroom holding a straight face. The very instant that door closed I got weak in the knees and started to cry all the alcohol I ingested that night out in about five minutes.

Hollycat
07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Stone Fox. Only movie to ever make me actually cry.

Shiny
07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Adding to that list, Finding Neverland, Castaway, The Pianist, The Green Mile, The Perfect Storm, Up (even the ending is depressing because the little boy will lose a good friend, the old dude soon), Charlotte's Web, The Purple Rose of Cairo.

A lot of movies are depressing really.

Flaming Ice
07-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Fox and the Hound.

As a kid I always cried when she let the fox go :cry:

noxious.sunshine
07-03-2013, 09:00 PM
I cried @ Fox & the Hound. My mom went to see Bambi in theaters and bawled her eyes out... Her mother never took her to see another Disney film again.

Homeward Bound. I have a meltdown everytime Shadow finally comes out of the woods cuz it makes me think of my dog Bozo and how close we were. He had the same "wise old man" demeanor as Shadow but probably weighed twice as much and would occasionally get into something... Like peanut butter.

Neiryu
07-05-2013, 05:47 AM
He told me that The Road is a great film, and that we should watch it. While we are excessively drinking.

When I saw The Road it was at a theater we have never been to, it was during a freezing cold blizzard, and the thermostat was broken so the air conditioning was on the entire movie. So in short, the closest person we knew was over an hour away, outside was snow everywhere, and while we watched the movie and them freeze we felt their angst. It was a simulation almost of a baron lonely land.

Any who, a few movies I will nominate;

Ikiru, Children of Men, Grave of the Fireflies, Requiem For A Dream, and a few anime series but that does not qualify.

Lonely Paper Star
07-05-2013, 06:09 AM
Suicide Room
A Better Life
The Land Before Time
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Grave of the Fireflies
Fox and the Hound
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (the live-action version... but I guess the anime one is depressing, as well)
5 Centimeters Per Second

MJN SEIFER
07-07-2013, 05:03 PM
People are going to have to help me here, because I have never really understood the term "Depressing Movie". Does it mean a movie that is just completly depressing and never really gets better for the character (and if it does, it's just a brief grasp of happiness, and then things go bad again, and the movie ulitmately ends on a depressing note) or is it just movies that happen to have depressing scenes, but ultimatly end for the better.

What I mean is, a lot of the enteries here fall under the latter catagory (and I do not fall under the catagory of "depressing" for me.) Movies such as All Dogs Go To Heavan, Watership Down, Bambi, and The Land Before Time (to name but a few) have depressing moments in them, but ultimately end for the better, with a happy ending. So I do not see those as depressing movies, just movies with a depressing scene.

charliepanayi
07-07-2013, 06:33 PM
People are using their discretion, both meanings have been used here.

Shaibana
07-07-2013, 09:11 PM
i have lost some tears at:

the lion king - that reaction when Simba trie's to wake up his dead father.. it just hits me!

- The Boy in the striped pyjama's.. it did build up some tension from when they start searching him till they find out he is dead!

- I Am Legend, it was so sad when the dog died. she was his only friend in the world and he had to kill her himself. after that he was totaly defeated and that hits me. im glad my sis didnt see my eyes at the cinema at that scene :P