PDA

View Full Version : Fair Play

Karifean
07-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Do you value "fair play" or not? In Online or Offline Games?

I personally do in both. I can't stand beating down human opponents in online multiplayer games with tools that are simply overpowered. It's pretty much why I stopped playing Call of Duty, because only about 2% of players take any kind of interest in fair play. And a fair game is just that much more fun to me - when even if you lose, you can just say "good game" and admit that you lost fair and square.

But I also like fair play in offline games. If you don't know what I mean by that, Cat Nip Abuse from FFX-2 is a perfect example. Rather recently, I just decided that I don't like doing it and it was a lot more enjoyable for me that way.

I try to encourage fair play in both without coming off as a preaching elitist. How do you do that, anyway?

Your thoughts on the matter?

Slothy
07-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Personally, I'm a big believer that if it's in the game, it's fair, and complaining about things one doesn't like is silly. Now that doesn't necessarily mean the things which are in the game aren't broken or anything, just that complaining that people use things the developers put in their is somewhat silly. If they make the game unenjoyable then you're just playing the wrong game and its time to move on or wait for an update.

Bolivar
07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Only if its really unfair; I'll never pick odd-job in Goldeneye. I've had the opposite experience in CoD as you, though, where I enjoy using all the different play options the game has to offer (that's also how toy level up fastest). I couldn't care less if the community gravitates to the UMP45 or FAMAS, I'll troll them with an RPD or Mac-10 all day, everyday.

There is a related aspect in sportsmanship that I'm really not proud of. In Dota, the way you get ahead and secure a win is by singling out and beating down players who are already having a rough time. It's not chivalrous, and in a game like Dota you know the other team is harassing that player to no end over it. But in high skill competitive games that really is just how it works.

Formalhaut
07-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Oh I abused the smurf out of Cat Nip in the latter stages of the Via Infinito. Holy christ that thing was a lifesaver.

Chris
07-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Don't ever play any video game with me. I will cheat, lie, coerce, conspire, and do anything to be better than everybody else.

CimminyCricket
07-04-2013, 01:15 AM
I stopped playing call of duty online for the most part because of quick scoping. Auto targeting like that to me takes out the fun of the game since it is so ridiculously over powered.

DownDiagonalLeftA
07-04-2013, 03:19 AM
Pretty much any online game 44444

Karifean
07-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Oh I used all the guns in CoD as well. Still annoying to get a launched grenade land next to you, killing you instantly. The FMG-9s were the worst, though.

Personally, I'm a big believer that if it's in the game, it's fair, and complaining about things one doesn't like is silly. Now that doesn't necessarily mean the things which are in the game aren't broken or anything, just that complaining that people use things the developers put in their is somewhat silly. If they make the game unenjoyable then you're just playing the wrong game and its time to move on or wait for an update.

The problem I have with this is that a lot of time, if those broken things weren't in the game, you'd be looking at a really fun, awesome game. It seems like such a waste to disregard the entire game because of that one thing that ruins it, especially if by simply not using it, the game is superb.

Aulayna
07-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Considering when I did 5v5 League of Legends with some friends and took full advantage of the fact that I knew my lane opponent never warded... yeah I don't play fair xD

Shorty
07-04-2013, 07:35 PM
If you are blatantly breaking the rules of the game, then that's fucked.

If it's the equivalent to stealing a base to get to home and you're the one who thought of it first, then props to you!