PDA

View Full Version : Steak

Pumpkin
07-04-2013, 03:25 AM
I like my steak rare and with a decent amount of pepper.

If it doesn't bleed when I poke it, it isn't done right.

Discuss steak :monster:

Goldenboko
07-04-2013, 03:26 AM
STEAK.

Slothy
07-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Blue rare for me whenever possible. I'll cook to medium if I'm eating some shit I got cheap at the grocery store that's been sitting in the fridge a few days just because I don't trust it, but if I buy something pricier I'm going to cook right away or go to a steak house, it's got to be blue rare. Anything more is unacceptable.

Goldenboko
07-04-2013, 03:45 AM
STEAK.

Formalhaut
07-04-2013, 04:05 AM
I've always had mine medium, but I've never tried medium-rare, and I'd love to try it. I just don't want to order it in a restaurant and end up disliking it, therefore wasting my money! *Sigh*.

Obligatory chart.

http://www.cookperfectsteaks.com/cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg

Pumpkin
07-04-2013, 04:07 AM
Look at that well done and medium-well :stare:.

*shakes head*

Formalhaut
07-04-2013, 04:10 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't even go near Blue Rare, it looks goddamn raw. I don't want my meat to be "gel-like". Be like eating some bloody meat flavoured gelatin.

I'd probably be willing to 'sample' rare, to see if I'd like it, but definitely I'd love to try medium rare. I feel like I'm not part of the club yet because the lowest I've gone done to is medium. :(

Pumpkin
07-04-2013, 04:11 AM
It's okay Formy.

One day....

The Man
07-04-2013, 05:30 AM
Rare and medium rare are great. Anything cooked more than medium rare is a waste of a good steak.

NorthernChaosGod
07-04-2013, 06:14 AM
I was going to post that chart. :(

Rare is God tier and medium-rare is acceptable.

Pheesh
07-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Rare. It has to be Rare.

Shorty
07-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Medium rare-medium.

Raistlin
07-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Anything beyond medium rare is not worth the designation of "steak." At that point it starts changing from mouth watering deliciousness to "eh, it's ok."

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Depends on the cut of meat really, though I am usually a medium-rare kind of guy. I also love beef tartare. SO FUCKING GOOD. But expensive since eating raw beef safety requires expensive (read: tenderloin) cuts.

noxious.sunshine
07-04-2013, 08:48 AM
lol Pittsburg Rare. or "Blue Rare" as y'all have dubbed it. But it has to be completely black & burnt on the outside or I'm not happy. I had to bribe one of our cooks at LongHorn to do it for me 'cuz they all hate doing it. I tried ordering a steak that way at Logan's and the server blatantly told me they couldn't do it. I called her on her BS 'cuz I know that's not true. and told her they -can- do it that way, they're just being lazy assholes..

The Rancher's Sirloin at LH though is to die for... Bacon wrapped with an egg over-easy on top. I'm not a huge sirloin fan, but this one is great. So is their Porterhouse for 2 - a 40 oz Porterhouse with their table-side steak sauce.. Yummmmm and each person gets 2 sides. I try to avoid using steak sauce, but LongHorn's house steak sauce is really good. Especially when you mix in the Sriracha they give you...

Chris
07-04-2013, 11:54 AM
To be completely honest, I cannot sit down and eat a piece of steak. I just seems pointless as the steak itself (without seasoning) is completely bland. If I eat a steak, it needs spices, seasoning, and sometimes, even melted cheese on top.

Jinx
07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Rare. Medium-rare is just barely acceptable. Barely. Anything over it is a waste.

Vivi, let me come to Canada. We'll bro it up and eat blue rare steaks, as I've yet to try one!

Slothy
07-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Sounds good to me. Most of the time when I eat out though, I have to ask for blue rare to get rare. Most cook's are panzies that are so afraid of making you sick they overcook everything.

Jinx
07-04-2013, 06:51 PM
That's true. Except one place in KC I know of. He always cooks under, so you have to order a bit more cooked. Meaning, if you wanted rare, you'd ordered medium rare, etc.

I WANT BLUE RARE

30 SECONDS ON EACH SIDE PLS

Shorty
07-04-2013, 06:54 PM
I can't do that shit. It makes me squeamish.

Psychotic
07-04-2013, 06:57 PM
i will eat any kind of steak

blue rare, charred to kingdom come, I give no fucks, it is god damn steak

STEAK

GOD DAMNIT

STEAK

Jinx
07-04-2013, 06:59 PM
If it's too done, I just rehydrate it with Worcestershire sauce.

Shorty
07-04-2013, 07:00 PM
groooooooooooooooooooss

Chris
07-04-2013, 07:20 PM
For once I agree with Sarah. Steak is gross.

Shorty
07-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Well, no, worcestershire sauce is gross. Don't put words in my mouth!

The Man
07-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Steak is gross.how could someone be so wrong

this is almost as bad as that time towns said soup was a drink

Jinx
07-04-2013, 07:25 PM
I love it. So much. I especially love it on steak and baked potatoes.

When I was a kid, my grandparents would overcook my meat. Think cremated leather. That, unsurprisingly is one of the main factors I love my meat so rare these days. The first time I went from well done to medium, I think I had an orgasm. I've only gone rarer since. Anyways. It was so dry, I had to have something to give it enough moisture to even be able to swallow it. My grandparents were cheap bastards, though, and wouldn't let me use A-1 steak sauce because it was too good and too expensive for a mere child who should be seen and not heard. They'd tell me that Worcestershire sauce was steak sauce, and I believed them. So that's what I always ate on my steak, and the stuff is so runny it'd wind up in my baked potato too.

To this day, I love Worcestershire sauce on my steak, but I rarely eat it on there because the steak I eat is usually seasoned and cooked to perfection, so it doesn't need it.

Shorty
07-04-2013, 07:26 PM
but cremated leather would be ashes

I'd rather put ketchup on steak.

Chris
07-04-2013, 07:28 PM
this is almost as bad as that time towns said soup was a drink
Bob and I were the only ones who actually had facts to bag up our arguments with. The rest of you were making up things because of your ignorance. :roll2

Also, soup is both a drink and food.

The Man
07-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Oh, I forgot, you were wrong about soup too. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're also wrong about steak.

Plenty of us presented plenty of arguments for why soup is a food and not a drink. It's not my fault you ignored them.

Jinx
07-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Ketchup on steak is an abomination unto God.

Formalhaut
07-04-2013, 08:31 PM

Who the hell uttered such profanity?

Jinx
07-04-2013, 08:32 PM

Who the hell uttered such profanity?

That would be Shorty. :mad2:

Shorty
:jess:

noxious.sunshine
That it is.

It always annoys me when people order a well done steak and then complains that it's too dry. Ugh. Stupid people.

NeoCracker
07-06-2013, 07:25 PM
You know, I was completely on Shorty's side up until she put Ketchup on her steak.

Psychotic
07-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Steak is gross.so would anyone object if i banned this guy

Shorty
07-06-2013, 07:43 PM
FINALLY

Formalhaut
07-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Unless you are vegetarian, vegan or are somehow allergic to steak, it is inconceivable that you can't like steak.

Raistlin
07-06-2013, 08:00 PM
This thread yet again makes me wonder how Chris manages to experience any joy out of life. Though we should probably take pity on him, as he obviously has some sort of congenital deformity of his taste buds and/or brain that prevents him from enjoying all that is good and pure.

Psychotic
07-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Look, you can look upon the gross mutant freak as a charity case if you want, I just want it to get back down into the sewers where it belongs.

Chris
07-06-2013, 08:32 PM
You're absolutely right, Psy. Steak is a mutant freak invention and should be thrown back into the sewers so that the disgusting fireflies can feast upon it.

Formalhaut
07-06-2013, 08:33 PM
You're absolutely right, Psy. Steak is a mutant freak invention and should be thrown back into the sewers.

BAN THIS HERETIC

Psychotic
07-06-2013, 09:00 PM
You're absolutely right, Psy. Steak is a mutant freak invention and should be thrown back into the sewers so that the disgusting fireflies can feast upon it.ahahahahah fireflies

what the fuck xD

I can't even hate you. Raistlin is right, I do pity you. Fireflies haha what.

Rocket Edge
07-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Well done. I love the texture of a well done steak with pepper sauce. The rarer it is the more it feels watery to me and less of a 'steak' taste.

Araciel
07-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Medium rare with season salt or montreal steak spice

never use bbq sauce or you're wasting it

also if you get a shitty cut, you are allowed to glaze with teriyaki sawss

noxious.sunshine
07-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Montreal steak seasoning is good. I typically avoid seasoning though - especially if it's something like rib eye or porterhouse. If I buy my own steaks, they've gotta be super thick and left out to reach room temperature so that it doesn't turn "grey".

I had teriyaki steak. Not a fan. It's like putting BBQ on salmon. Gag me.

Shorty
07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
You're absolutely right, Psy. Steak is a mutant freak invention and should be thrown back into the sewers so that the disgusting fireflies can feast upon it.ahahahahah fireflies

what the smurf xD

I can't even hate you. Raistlin is right, I do pity you. Fireflies haha what.

If you didn't catch it, it is a slight upon myself and the other good fans of the well-known cult series Firefly. :colbert:

Ban him. :doublecolbert:

Shiny
07-15-2013, 12:58 PM
I usually get medium rare now if I am getting a burger or ordering from a restaurant, but I ultimately prefer charred, burnt up overly well done steak. The texture to me is also better as it's crispy as opposed to juicy. I smurfing love the burnt taste with the meat.

Formalhaut
07-15-2013, 09:04 PM
I've always had mine medium, but I've never tried medium-rare, and I'd love to try it. I just don't want to order it in a restaurant and end up disliking it, therefore wasting my money! *Sigh*.

Obligatory chart.

http://www.cookperfectsteaks.com/cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg

To be honest, I wouldn't even go near Blue Rare, it looks goddamn raw. I don't want my meat to be "gel-like". Be like eating some bloody meat flavoured gelatin.

I'd probably be willing to 'sample' rare, to see if I'd like it, but definitely I'd love to try medium rare. I feel like I'm not part of the club yet because the lowest I've gone done to is medium. :(

It's okay Formy.

One day....

On Saturday, I had a medium-rare steak for the very first time.

And I loved it. I have now grown up in the steak world.

Pumpkin
07-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Good job :jess:

Next step rare?

Formalhaut
07-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Good job :jess:

Next step rare?

I hope so. I wouldn't dare try blue, but rare is probably my limit. I'll have to try it though to be sure.

Pumpkin
07-15-2013, 09:09 PM
I had actually never tried anything other than rare steak until I was about 17. When I was little, my moms boyfriend insisted I only eat rare, to the point that we went to a barbecue when I was 6ish and they gave me a well done steak and he literally smacked it out of my had before I could take a bite, gave it back to them, and cooked me a rare steak. I finally tried a meduim and a well done when I was 17ish and it was awful.

escobert
07-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Medium well plz thx. I like my meat dead when I eat it :p

snacks
07-15-2013, 09:22 PM
i eat steak carefully :3

medium rare thx

Jinx
07-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Rare. Anything over rare is too cooked.

Pheesh
07-16-2013, 09:47 PM
I ordered a rare steak at a restaurant the other day and what they brought out was most definitely blue, not rare.

....ate that fucker anyway.

Jinx
07-16-2013, 11:45 PM
I ordered a rare steak at a restaurant the other day and what they brought out was most definitely blue, not rare.

....ate that smurfer anyway.

Was it amazing?

Shorty
07-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Gross.

Slothy
07-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Gross. Perfect.

Shorty
07-17-2013, 12:01 AM
I didn't say perfect, though.

Slothy
07-17-2013, 12:02 AM
I know. I had to censor your post to avoid offending the audience.

Shorty
07-17-2013, 12:03 AM
I know. I had to censor your post to avoid offending the audience weirdos.

Pheesh
07-17-2013, 03:54 AM

Was it amazing?

Not as good as a Rare steak, better than a medium steak. It had a really awesome garlic butter on it though, so that was pretty bad ass.

Sarah, just leave.

Shorty
07-17-2013, 04:03 AM
Make me.

Jinx
07-17-2013, 04:30 AM

Was it amazing?

Not as good as a Rare steak, better than a medium steak. It had a really awesome garlic butter on it though, so that was pretty bad ass.

Sarah, just leave.

Huh! Was in gel-like in texture as the chart says?

I'd like to try blue rare eventually, although I think rare is perfect.

Pumpkin
07-17-2013, 04:37 AM
I've had blue rare when the restaurant sends me overcooked steak and someone else complains for me and sends it back, the they give me blue rare instead of rare (which is still better). I do prefer rare though.

Pheesh
07-17-2013, 06:34 AM

Was it amazing?

Sarah, just leave.

Blue rare is like rare but chewier and not as flavourful in my opinion. I guess it's kinda gel like, but if you're taking time to notice that then you're not eating the steak fast enough ;)

Formalhaut
07-18-2013, 02:42 AM

Was it amazing?

Sarah, just leave.

The next time I eat steak, I'm definitely ordering the rare. I must try it! I've gone on to medium rare. Now I must attain the rank of a perfect steak eater! :jess:

Raistlin
07-18-2013, 03:22 AM
At a lot of chain restaurants, at least around here, I need to order rare just to get medium rare. So depending on where you go, the "rare" might not really be rare. I still don't order blue rare just on the off-chance that they actually give it to me, but I've come to order rare more frequently despite preferring what is probably closer to medium rare.

Jinx
07-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Don't jump to rare just yet, Formy. But definitely don't fuck up and go back.

Shlup
07-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Why not jump to rare? What kind of awful person ever orders a steak anything but rare? People who order steaks cooked more than rare don't understand how meat works.

Chemical
07-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Aside from the obvious necessity of it being cooked rare, I am also very picky about the cut of the steak. I don't really care for t-bone or most super cheap gritty cuts... I like a good porter or even better eye fillet. Served with hot English mustard.

Jinx
07-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Why not jump to rare? What kind of awful person ever orders a steak anything but rare? People who order steaks cooked more than rare don't understand how meat works.

He just might not be ready for it.

Pike
07-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Pretty good but overrated.

I usually go with medium rare.

noxious.sunshine
07-19-2013, 01:43 PM
I like Black & Blue. It needs to be tried and had by all.

Burnt to a crisp on the outside, rare on the inside. MMMMMM.

NorthernChaosGod
07-19-2013, 11:21 PM

That sounds terrible.

Jinx
07-20-2013, 12:25 AM

That sounds terrible.

Seconded.

Shlup
07-20-2013, 02:20 AM

He just might not be ready for it.

What's not to be ready for? People can be "not ready" for good food cooked correctly?

Jinx
07-20-2013, 02:48 AM
If his palette hasn't adjusted to the rarer meat!

Formalhaut
07-20-2013, 02:50 AM
ITT: Two girls fighting over me: more specifically, my taste buds.

Jinx
07-20-2013, 02:51 AM
We're just trying to save your soul before you turn into Chris.

Shlup
07-20-2013, 05:21 AM
If your palette has to adjust to food being cooked correctly then you are living life wrong.

Raistlin
07-20-2013, 05:33 AM
I have to agree with Shlup; I'm not sure what's to be "ready" for about eating a rare steak. Would it be too much of a shock to his system? Would his senses be so overwhelmed by finally tasting a proper steak after being deprived for his entire lifetime that he could go into cardiac arrest?

If you want to try a rare steak, just eat a rare steak. :p

Shorty
07-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Formy, if you ever think you're ready to try poached eggs, you aren't. Go with scrambled first and see how you like it before skipping ahead.

noxious.sunshine
07-20-2013, 06:26 AM
omg. You guys are -nuts-. First no ranch on pizza and now this? *dies*

NeoCracker
07-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Ranch is fucking atrocious on anything.

Shlup
07-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Ranch is delicious on pizza, yes, but some of us don't want to die in our 30s.

Flaming Ice
07-21-2013, 02:28 AM

Medium rare is fine but other than that the texture is pretty disgusting......but seeing a well done steak is enough to make you cry for the poor cow.:cry:

Slothy
07-21-2013, 03:13 AM

Yeah, eating that crust all the time will kill you.

Flaming Ice
07-21-2013, 03:54 AM

Yeah, eating that crust all the time will kill you.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web03/2012/4/6/17/enhanced-buzz-12835-1333746716-14.jpg

But if you use a paper towel and dab the top of it you take away some evil grease .:)

And the crust is tasty.

Geez...haven't had pizza for a few months now though.

Slothy
07-21-2013, 04:07 AM
The grease is he least of peoples worries. At least if the cheese is real.