PDA

View Full Version : How long does it usually take for the PS3 to stop being shit?

Quindiana Jones
07-04-2013, 05:40 AM
Evening all. Just got a PS3! Woohoo! My first one! I can finally play all the exclusive titles like Uncharted!

*plays Uncharted*

Well, that was on the mediocre side of good. Ah well, at least I can go and download some of the classics and play them instead.

*The store is currently under maintenance. And has been for over 24 hours.*

Oh wow, that's useful. I'm starting to regret buying a console from a small indie developer. I should have bought one from a massive international company that would know what they're doing. :monster:

So yeah, my question is in the title. How long does it typically take for Sony to not be shit? I appreciate that China isn't the best country to start an online adventure, but those slow download speeds (500kb/s, woop!) mean nothing if I can't evening access anything to download. Anyone know what's going on? Is there some secret part of the internet where shit like this is explained or justified? I tried searching Sony's side of things to figure out how long it's gonna be down, but hah! That was wishful thinking.

If I hadn't bought this from a mate, I'd probably ask for a refund. xD

NorthernChaosGod
07-04-2013, 06:13 AM
It never stops. This is your punishment for betraying your 360 brethren.

Del Murder
07-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Uncharted 2 is a lot better. It is almost like AC2 compared to AC1. You can't judge us based on the first Uncharted game alone.

Ever played the God of War series? Also play Last of Us. And Journey.

Quindiana Jones
07-04-2013, 07:27 AM
I'd love to play Journey. I absolutely cannot wait for it.

Shame I can't sodding get to it. :colbert:

I also will be getting Okami HD as soon as humanly possible. And Ico/SotC. Oh god, I can't wait.

My problem with Uncharted was not the story; I just found the gameplay entirely boring. I've got the second one waiting around, which I know is considered the best of the series, so I'll give it a look in. The series interests me, but I find it very taxing to play. :( Gonna give Last of Us a go before heading back to...

Uncharted territory :monster:

Ranting aside, I am genuinely curious how often I'm gonna have to put up with all the updates and PSN downtime. Is it common for the Store to be inaccessible for an entire day? Is anybody else having trouble getting to it right now? It went offline after the recent update (bear in mind this is a second-hand PS3, but was rarely actually used, so I imagine I've got a fair amount of updates to get through). Anyone know if other people have had this issue, or if there's a workaround? I tried searching about, but I must not be getting the right keywords, because all I get are bloody news articles about updates, haha.

Pete for President
07-04-2013, 09:45 AM
GET JOURNEY. NOW.

Or as soon as PSN store is back.

Edit: YES QUIN YES. Be sure to get Dark Souls 2 on PS3 when it's out! Summon & PvP time like proper sunbro's.

Del Murder
07-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I've never had an issue getting to PSN other than when it was hacked. Might be something specific to your location.

The updates are annoying, but doesn't 360 also have updates?

Mirage
07-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Psn store is rarely down for me. Try using a proxy so that your ps3 thinks it is in America or something.

Chris
07-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I've had a lot of issues with my PS3 freezing. It destroys the happiness of gaming. :stare:

Quindiana Jones
07-04-2013, 01:55 PM
GET JOURNEY. NOW.

Edit: YES QUIN YES. Be sure to get Dark Souls 2 on PS3 when it's out! Summon & PvP time like proper sunbro's.

YOU KNOW I AM IN CHINA, RIGHT? xD

Got it working. Deleted it and reinstalled it. Now getting thoroughly shafted by region settings. "What?" says Sony. "You can move country without losing your identity and native language? NONSENSE." So I can't buy anything from the Store.

YET.

Also, in the coming week, I'll be doing some magic to hopefully get my download speed to maybe 1MB/m. Currently it's at around 2kp/s, which means that 6GB install for Okami will take days. xD

Only another fortnight of jumping through hoops and I might be able to finally play games! :up:

I Don't Need A Name
07-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Uncharted is an overrated pile of trout. Vastly mediocre in every way; it's like the stupid child of Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones that never quite learned the answer to 2+2.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are wonderful games, alongside Valkyria Chronicles

Mirage
07-04-2013, 03:24 PM
I've had a lot of issues with my PS3 freezing. It destroys the happiness of gaming. :stare:

Maybe you should get one that is working correctly.

Hollycat
07-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Here's a handy list of MUST play exclusives:
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
God of War 3 (debatable)
Ratchet Tools of Destruction
Ratchet A crack in time
Infamous 2
journey (debatable)
The Last of Us

If you didn't play the jak, sly, or ratchet series you can get them cheap on PSN, but Im not sure they count.
Same thing with KH1.5 when it comes out in september

Like you said, there are tons of good classics to download as well.
Just don't buy Noby Noby Boy. Don't ever.

Mirage
07-04-2013, 03:57 PM
If it's debatable, does it really belong on a "must play" list? :p

In either case, try Valkyria Chronicles. It's pretty fun. So is Tales of Graces F.

I Don't Need A Name
07-04-2013, 04:15 PM
And Heavy Rain is pretty good too

NeoCracker
07-04-2013, 06:12 PM
PS3 stops beiing shit when you stop being shit. :colbert:

Chris
07-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Maybe you should get one that is working correctly.
I bought mine new and had it replaced when it kept freezing, and even that one froze sometimes. A lot of my friends have had the same issue with their PS3.

Mirage
07-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I've never had a problem like that with mine. Replace it again!

I Don't Need A Name
07-04-2013, 08:22 PM
No, I've never heard of those problems either. You must have a pretty crap collection of PS3s in your area xD

Pete for President
07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
GET JOURNEY. NOW.

I'm have faith you have overcome all challenges of getting (online) gaming to work by the time DkS2 comes out in March 2014 :greenie:

Here's a handy list of MUST play exclusives:
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
God of War 3 (debatable)
Ratchet Tools of Destruction
Ratchet A crack in time
Infamous 2
journey (debatable)
The Last of Us

This list is debatable. How is Journey debatable? And Uncharted, meh. If you want a mental challenge, it is probably not for you. The game pretty much plays itself, so much of it is scripted and so many hints are dropped.

Also, get Where Is My Heart? It's a €5,00 pixelart game that turns your gaming habits upside down. Magical music too.

Formalhaut
07-04-2013, 10:35 PM
And Heavy Rain is pretty good too

I concur with this. While it wasn't as "open ended" as I thought, the narrative in it is just so strong. I loved it.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-04-2013, 10:39 PM
And the music is so good! Speaking of good music, I would like to throw up Nier as a fantastic game for the PS3.

Quindiana Jones
07-05-2013, 04:20 AM
GET JOURNEY. NOW.

I'm have faith you have overcome all challenges of getting (online) gaming to work by the time DkS2 comes out in March 2014 :greenie:

Well, by March next year I should be in Toronto, so yes, I'm sure I will have it fixed by then! :jess:

Vyk
07-05-2013, 03:03 PM
I've had it say "maintenance" for a day before. And I live in the states. Also you'll frequently have an issue where it can't connect to a Netflix server for a week or so. Also they don't update their patches or updates for games. So its not like you get an old game and have to get the latest patch. The patches and updates stack on top of each other. So if they've updated a game 9 times. You have to download 9 updates. I did this with Uncharted 2. Each one was 90 - 200 mb. Which isn't always easy to download, and no matter your connection speed it's still kind of a pain. And when Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires released as a PSN exclusive that was over 7 gigs, we had a fun time downloading that. Considering it stalled out once, and threw an error after it was 90% complete. And PSN is apparently incapable of pausing a download to resume later when it hits a problem, and we had to start the download all over.

Fortunately I don't judge the system on its network capabilities. It has good games, good graphics, and it doesn't keep monkeying with its features and user-interface like some consoles on the market. So its easy to get comfortable with and easy to look past its short-comings, as long as you don't need a whole lot off of its network. So I'd suggest trying to get retail games until you get better internet. They do sell Journey as part of a package deal on disk :P

Mirage
07-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Everything's easy to download and patch when you've got fiber optics B-)

Flaming Ice
07-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Disgaea games..

Mirage
07-07-2013, 07:22 PM
While I have all the console Disgaea games, they are certainly niché, and not really "must haves". If you're a fan of SRPGs, they are pretty good purchases though.

Hollycat
07-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Disgaea games..

I actually have to disagree. Strategy games are very Niche, and D3 and 4 don't look that great on an HD TV

You can play all of them except 4 on the VITA, and the version of 3 that is on the VITA is actually far superior to the vanilla version of 3, and is even better than 3 with all the DLC.

If you are huge strategy fan, yeah, play it on PS3, but otherwise, even among sony consoles, the PS3 isn't the best for Strategy games, and odds are if you really like them, you already have a psp or VITA.

Mirage
07-07-2013, 09:00 PM
It's pretty unfair to liken D4's graphics with those of D3. D3 uses the same sprite resolution as the PS2 games did, just with higher res 3D. D4 actually has a greatly increased sprite resolution, and doesn't look any worse on a HDTV than D2's sprites did back in the PS2 age on SDTVs.

This shows pretty well how big the difference between D1-2-3 sprites and D4 sprites is. I don't really think a word less strong than "dramatic" is appropriate.

Opening that image in a basic image editor and turning on a pixel grid when zooming in will let you easily see that the resolution is exactly three times higher in D4.

Polnareff
07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
PS3 being trout? You must just be unlucky.

Shoeberto
07-08-2013, 05:52 PM
God of War 3 (debatable)
This game has some of the most impressive setpiece battles I've played in a game, but god the violence and gore is just too much. You literally rip a guy's head off in a QTE. I felt... dirty after I beat it, and I really doubt I'll ever go back to the series.

Uncharted gets so much better after the first game. I started another playthrough of 2 this past weekend and was blown away (again) by the intro. The third game has even better set pieces.

PSN has scheduled maintenance with some frequency, but it's seldom any longer than a day at a time every few months.

I don't have much else to add, I guess, but MGS4 is a great game, and they're releasing another collection with MG1+2, MGS as a PSN download voucher, MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker in remastered HD, and MGS4. Those games are absolutely worth it.

Quindiana Jones
07-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Never really been on for set-piece gameplay, even less so now than ever. Might be why I didn't enjoy it much, though I still intend to give the others a try.

More tragedy, unfortunately: can't put money on my wallet, so can't buy games from the Store. :(

I Don't Need A Name
07-09-2013, 01:49 PM
You can buy PSN Credit cards (as in PSN Cards that give you credit. Not a PSN Mastercard) in stores which puts credit onto your PSN Wallet.

Quindiana Jones
07-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Stores? China? AHAHAHAAA.

Nah, they don't work.

Psychotic
07-10-2013, 08:29 PM
look you god damn ponce

come home

either literally to england or metaphorically to the 360

you and me, minecraft, terraria, the works

forever and ever

there'd be steve too and we'd do things to him

Do you not remember that time we played doubles on Reach? And you danced about to lure in some idiot checking his radar and then I popped out behind the corner with the shotty? That was good, Arthur, lord knows it was good. Why did you have to go and change?

Mirage
07-10-2013, 10:18 PM
You can buy PSN cash cards from the internet. It's pretty easy.

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2013, 02:38 AM
Internet? China? Ahahahaa.

The previous owner tried buying the PSN cards, but apparently they didn't work. And Paul, the only 360s in China are for dirty dirty pirates, so no online capabilities! :(

I Don't Need A Name
07-11-2013, 02:47 AM
On the plus side (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a497383/china-ending-video-game-console-ban.html)

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2013, 02:49 AM
"Boomed" is a fucking understatement for the black market here.

Psychotic
07-11-2013, 03:04 PM
LEAVE CHINA YOU FOOL

COME HOME

COME LIVE WITH ME

WE WERE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER

Pike
07-12-2013, 10:28 AM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/398/444/1b8.jpg

Hollycat
07-12-2013, 02:52 PM

.... Really Pike? Are you trying to start a console war?

Pike
07-12-2013, 05:09 PM

.... Really Pike? Are you trying to start a console war?

It's not a console war. It's a proven fact (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ps3-has-no-games).

Pumpkin
07-12-2013, 05:13 PM
If it has no games, why do I have PS3 games?

Pike
07-12-2013, 05:15 PM
:colbert: You guys are missing the joke!

Mirage
07-12-2013, 09:10 PM
If it's a joke, why isn't it funny? :confused:

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2013, 10:02 AM
All of you leave Pike alone. Assholes.

Pike
07-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Fine, I'll stop.

JL3n0hkeHbM

Shauna
07-13-2013, 10:52 AM
dis thread, 10/10

Jinx
07-13-2013, 01:37 PM
All of you leave Pike alone. Assholes.

Madame Adequate
07-13-2013, 05:38 PM
New thread topic. Which will happen first:

1) PS3 will get games
2) PS3 fanboys will stop defending their terrible console and getting buttmad at memes because they are true
3) The stars will all go out

Bolivar
07-13-2013, 07:46 PM
4) Grown adults stop whining about devices they don't own on the internet.

Del Murder
07-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Probably number 1. Definitely not 4.

escobert
07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
How about everyone just stops buying stupid consoles that are crap and just go to PC gaming :p

I've had two PS3s and ended up selling both within six months. I can't justify having it for just netflix and a blue ray when my radio serves the same purpose of background noise while I'm PC gaming.

Del Murder
07-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Bert, you would have had a lot more credibility if you didn't just tell us you bought two of the same system.

escobert
07-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Well I got one about a year and a half ago. for dirt cheap. ended up selling it for more than I paid. Then the second I got about 6 months ago. Sold it a few weeks ago for what I paid.

DK
07-15-2013, 01:57 PM
"I have 3, PS3's" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1jB4hVJRg)

Quindiana Jones
07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Last of Us is pretty sweet.

escobert
07-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Yes that does look like it'd be fun. I hope hope hope it comes to PC at some point.

Vyk
07-16-2013, 04:09 PM
I can pretty much guarantee it won't, sadly. Except in cases where like 10 years from now we may be able to emulate PS3 on PC, or if the developers get so huge and rich they have enough spare time to completely rebuild the game for PC architecture. Because right now, its designed specifically around PS3's architecture, which is too different from PC. That's what made it so hard for Bethesda to get Skyrim stuff up and running. Yet it was a cinch for 360 to run things since its designed very much like a PC. Naughty Dog has said companies have offered handsome sums of money to buy/license their engines from Uncharted and Last of Us, but even if they were tempted, they couldn't do it because its so badly coded and complicated, they'd also have to sell the companies people to teach them how to run it lol

Slothy
07-16-2013, 04:19 PM
There is a much simpler explanation for why The Last of Us won't come out on PC: Sony owns Naughty Dog.

Bolivar
07-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Sony releases a lot of pc exclusives like planetside 2 and everquest but outside soe it all stays on console.

Quindiana Jones
07-18-2013, 01:37 PM
New favourite thing about the console: the fact that you can't just play your games; you have to suffer through all sorts of red tape to be able to play. I'm gonna play Skyrim on my Xbox whilst the PS3 chugs through an arbitrary 8GB install.

Mirage
07-18-2013, 03:03 PM
What's arbitrary about it? Are you sure you don't mean obligatory? In either case, this isn't a system issue, it is a developer issue. Each developer makes the decision on whether or not mandatory installs should be in their games. If you're gonna be mad, be mad at whichever retard developer made the game you're trying to play.

Seriously though, just give the console away to someone else if it's so smurfing terrible.

You live somewhere that's almost completely isolated from the rest of the internet, and are complaining about issues that almost no one else experience. It's time to consider the possibility that the problem exists between the controller and the couch.

Quindiana Jones
07-18-2013, 03:23 PM
You are in a thread about nagging about the PS3.

On a related note, Okami HD. Happy days. <3

Mirage
07-18-2013, 03:41 PM
It's perfectly in line with the rest of the "value" in this thread :p

Quindiana Jones
07-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Wow, you posted that just as I edited it to make it less nobby. xD

Vyk
07-18-2013, 05:54 PM
My girlfriend and I take turns bitching about the PS3 as well, but it doesn't make it any less loved. There have been some stupid decisions made regarding that console that makes it less user-friendly than it could/otter have been. And even still, once you get over the bullcrap, it still ends up being a better investment than a 360. Though for processor-intensive games, I like to have them installed on my 360 anyway, so the PS3 requiring you to install certain games doesn't tend to bother me. Its library of games are better. Its internet capabilities are apparently better (my 360 keeps losing the damn signal, and they're within a couple feet of each other). Its hardware is apparently more durable (everyone I know has either had to replace their 360, send it in, or replace something inside on their own; including me). And once you get used to it, that's it. (The 360 dashboard keeps changing like every 6 months. And now they're putting advertisements all over it)

Edit: Why in the fudge did "could / otter" get replaced with / otter when there's no space? lol..

Edit2: .... I see. We are not allowed to say S H O U L D. Interesting

Quindiana Jones
07-19-2013, 02:32 AM
The benefit of a PS3 - that being able to play Okami HD - far outweigh the negatives - those being shitey interface, annoying... everything, flappy paddle controller. But my god, Okami HD.

Is.... Is so pretty. :love:

Bolivar
07-19-2013, 03:50 AM
To be fair to Quin, a lot of people have complained about the installs and updates and Sony apparently agrees, with the PS4's big push to allow you to play a game while it's installing/updating or even downloading off of the store. I think it might've taken Uncharted 3 an hour and a half or so to fully update and install when I started playing it a few weeks ago.

I would say the installs are worth it, though, as there's tons of games which used it for shorter load times and higher res textures, some directly in comparison to their 360 counterparts. A lot of the PS3's exclusives prided themselves on pushing the boundaries and this was done in no small part to the installs.

In any case, Xbox fans complaining about the PS3, even after they inevitably purchase one, was sooo 2009.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-19-2013, 06:36 PM
I just set my PS3 to automatically update at night when I am not using it. *shrugs*