PDA

View Full Version : [LR] Why is Hope a child again? (New Trailer)

Karifean
07-04-2013, 07:32 PM
My first reaction to seeing this:

LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII -- "The Divine Task" Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt5Zz3augD4)

Thoughts?

Edit: Hmm, so apparently Fang is the boss of a bandit gang called the Monoculous which Lightning joins probably shortly after starting the game. Now I'm pretty sure Vanille is in this and probably plays a major role.

Jinx
07-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Time travel.

Mirage
07-04-2013, 08:07 PM
BUT HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Jinx
07-04-2013, 08:13 PM
I dunno, there was time travel in FFXIII-2, right?

Mirage
07-04-2013, 08:36 PM
yeah and it was terrible

i was kind of being unserious

Formalhaut
07-04-2013, 10:52 PM
It's creepy as well, because in that trailer he appears to have a deeper, adult Hope voice.

Of course, might just be me.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-04-2013, 11:08 PM
I feel like he has a deeper voice as well. And it also seems like he has the personality of adult Hope.

Del Murder
07-05-2013, 08:33 AM
It's called SE doesn't give a smurf and is throwing anything they want in the game whether it makes sense or not.

I've been torn with this game. The gameplay footage looks better and better every time I see it, but it's set in the goddamn FFXIII universe and you just know the plot isn't going to make a lick of sense.

DanielCLFFF13
07-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Maybe it because in the end of Final Fantasy XIII-2, after Noel, Serah and Mog defeated Caius the power of Chaos released to their world. It (power of Chaos) made Hope child again. So yeah, the power of Chaos made Hope child again.
But this is my opinion :)

Del Murder
07-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Maybe it was the power of Love.

Flaming Ice
07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Maybe it was the power of Love.

ENDING:

Hope standing over Lightning, she's is holding a baby.

Probably going to be 10 different hopes from different time lines, all vying for lightning's heart.

DMKA
07-05-2013, 07:11 PM
"Time paradox/it's Hope in a different time/it's just a facade of Hope via a program or a spirit or something else arcane/time travel makes crazy stuff happen that can't be rationalized so we won't bother/etc."

It still makes more sense than the final boss of FFIX did. :p

Del Murder
07-06-2013, 05:35 AM
Yeah but that's the final boss. Those never make sense.

DMKA
07-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Yeah but that's the final boss. Those never make sense.

FFIX is the only FF final boss that made zero sense to me. :p

Del Murder
07-06-2013, 05:43 AM
You were fine with Zeromus and Cloud of Darkness?

noxious.sunshine
07-06-2013, 09:43 AM
I hate Hope. He's such a pansy.

And yeah, wtf is this ish with Fang?

Good lord. I feel like I'm gonna have a Sheldon Cooper moment when things are all out of whack for him.

maybee
07-07-2013, 04:47 AM
It's called SE doesn't give a smurf and is throwing anything they want in the game whether it makes sense or not.

I've been torn with this game. The gameplay footage looks better and better every time I see it, but it's set in the goddamn FFXIII universe and you just know the plot isn't going to make a lick of sense.

^ This pretty much basically.

Square is just doing whatever they want basically and then try and back it up with a lame reason why. Basically the whole FF13 storyline already.

krissy
07-08-2013, 05:04 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/305d8486a0675564be902bd33087b9b4/tumblr_mp9kvhiAjc1s8ebe7o1_500.jpg

noxious.sunshine
07-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Fang with a bottle of liquor? Right on man. Right on.

TrollHunter
07-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I just want a story with a bunch of different parallel universe Sazhs all talking about how they're too old for this trout.

LunarWeaver
07-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Maybe they are still trying to redeem him in the eyes of fans. He hardly seemed popular. I wouldn't be surprised if Square made child Hope and teen Hope meet each other and become the main characters for the second half of the game at this point.

Formalhaut
07-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Maybe they are still trying to redeem him in the eyes of fans. He hardly seemed popular. I wouldn't be surprised if Square made child Hope and teen Hope meet each other and become the main characters for the second half of the game at this point.

Yeah but for me Hope redeemed himself in XIII-2. He looked hot in that academy uniform, and actually made sense and helped the team. I loved Hope in XIII-2.

Why did they have to change the formula?!

krissy
07-10-2013, 10:50 PM
ff13 is about changing the formula
every game changes the overarching story system (linear, time travel, countdown)
it's a very high level metaphor of the path final fantasy games have taken in general, with each trying to be different from the last in some way

Formalhaut
07-11-2013, 12:10 AM
That's fine in terms of the 'style' of gameplay. When it comes to characters, Hope in FFXIII-2 was great. I'm not sure how they'll play him in LR but if they wanted people to like him more, reverting him to his child form is definitely a bold move.

I might be completely wrong, but I do feel uneasy about that change.

Elpizo
07-12-2013, 09:50 PM
You were fine with Zeromus and Cloud of Darkness?

Zeromus was the physical form of Zemus' hate, and Cloud of Darkness is the physical form of the Void that appears when there is an imbalance between the Light Crystals and the Dark Crystals to return both worlds to Void. Both are explained in the game, so I don't really understand how they don't make sense.

Necron is kind of unique as a main series Final Boss in that he isn't explicitly explained within the game itself, but there are enough plausible theories to explain his presence. Given how the Iifa Tree went nuts and died after Necron was defeated, I always thought he was the spiritual form of the Iifa Tree that sorted the souls of Terra with the souls of Gaia, just like Soulcage was the physical form of the Iifa Tree. Garland did hint that there was more to the Iifa Tree than just the Soulcage, after all.

And before we bring him up: NeoExDeath was most likely another physical incarnation of the Void that appeared when Exdeath lost control over the void. It would explain its appearance (made of the countless beings the Void has absorbed throughout its existence) and its goal of reducing everything (including itself) to nothing.

And I think that's all as far as potentially confusing Final Bosses go, at least for the main series.

If you really want a final boss that just came right the buck out of nowhere, play FFTA2. That'll have you scratching your head, I guarantee it.

maybee
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Why did they have to change the formula?!

To troll the FF13 Hope haters fans meanwhile those who didn't mind young Hope are sitting here with popcorn.

Raistlin
07-15-2013, 12:46 AM

Pretty much. The gameplay does look fun and some of the concepts interesting, but I have very little faith in the FFXIII series writers to tell a well-crafted and coherent story.