PDA

View Full Version : Aldi Sucks (Or... Are You A Brand Whore?)

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 05:29 AM
So aside from having Butterball Turkies and the bread I bought was decent along with the premade chicken salad and cheese...

I made my dads spaghetti with their ground beef and their tomato sauce.

Uh. Uh. It was nasty. I nearly died when I ate it myself.

My dad is picky when it comes to stuff like that. He only uses Hunt's brand tomato sauce & paste in his sauce and they've never been in an Aldi.

This chicken noodle soup is so far a major gag fest, too.

But anywho.. Do you insist on buying a specific brand when it comes to certain things? Do you -have- to have that $4 loaf of Sarah Lee bread, or is Great Value just as ok?

I'm usually not that picky when it comes to brands, but so far, nearly everything I've bought from Aldi has been Bleh to the max.

I guess you get what you pay for, though... -_-;;;

DMKA
07-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Yeah, their tomato sauce is terrible, as are all their canned soups. :p

Aldi is wonderful in terms of prices...if you're a family on a tight budget and quantity is the bigger concern over quality, Aldi is a dream come true.

Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't recommend most of their stuff if you can afford to spend a little bit more money for a much better product.

That is, aside of their cookies (their imitation pinwheels are to die for!)

Jowy
07-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Whatever I don't buy from Trader Joe's, I get from my roommate's produce stand. Avoid processed food!

Psychotic
07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Haha, you have Aldi over there? Cool. They're actually not so bad over here anymore.

Shorty
07-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I am not particularly a brand whore, no.

NeoCracker
07-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Only for a couple things.

Peanut Butter is Skippy.

Canned Ravioli is Chef Boyardee (No, I don't remember how it's spelled. :p)

Past that? Don't care. :p

(Okay, I won't go for that off brand Mountain Dew Either)

Pike
07-07-2013, 10:14 AM
The only particular brand I'm loyal to has to do with toothpaste, not food. Aquafresh for life yo.

Jinx
07-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I've had mostly good experience with Aldi, except for their produce.

The one thing that I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go name brand with is Tostito's Cheese Dip. Other off-brand jarred cheese dips still taste good, but it's not quite the same. The flavor is very different.

Chris
07-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I love Aldi. I always shop in (at?) Aldi. They have a lot of great things that can't be found anywhere else.

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Tide laundry detergent & Downy softener. I will go a bit cheaper and use Suavitel 'cuz it smells so darn good. And Fabuloso for mop stuff ha.

Aldi's produce actually wasn't bad when I went this past time. Usually it's already moldy and flies all over it when I peruse the small section of it they have. I picked up a thing of cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and mushrooms.

My daughter got picky about hot dogs for whatever reason. She only likes the kind my mom buys. I have no idea why. And I have no idea what kind they are other than they've got a green label. Probably something expensive. They're total brand whores. Mom has to buy Sarah Lee bread, Pillsbury whatever, Chef Boyardee (yes, that was spelled right, but his name -is- actually spelled BoyardI - he changed it to the EE to make it easier for people to pronounce on his product labels), Campbell's Soup, Tide, Folger's Coffee etc.

I will not drink off-brand sodas. Except for pineapple soda. I used to love that junk. I don't really drink soda anyway, though.

JIF is the only peanut butter that's actually good. mmmhhhhhmmm lol

Jinx
07-07-2013, 01:39 PM
A lot of this stuff is in your head, seriously.

I worked with a guy once who worked in a factory packaging food and shipping it out. Doritos, Walmart brand, and Aldi's brand? Same food, they just put it into different bags. Apparently they do this with quite a few food items.

Chris
07-07-2013, 01:40 PM
noxious.sunshine you are being painfully obnoxious :nonono:

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 02:08 PM
o.O; What'd I do now?

Chris
07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
*Bullies noxious.sunshine* :D

Aldi have the most amazing canned chicken soup. It's got these huge pasta lumps in them, and giant pieces of chicken pieces.

Pike
07-07-2013, 05:45 PM
man you guys we don't have Aldi here

But Safeway is god-tier

Shauna
07-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Haha, you have Aldi over there? Cool. They're actually not so bad over here anymore.

Yeah, it's alright. But Lidl man. Lidl is the greatest.

Raistlin
07-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't even have an Aldi around me.

I have next to zero brand loyalty. I won't buy off-brand Cokes, and there's the odd things that I tend to buy of a certain brand (like Jiff peanut butter), but otherwise I don't care and will frequently go with whatever's on sale.

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Lulz yeah... You also gotta add extra chicken boullion to give it any flavor ;p.

Safeway! I used to love Safeway! Around here the nice store is Publix. I'm fascinated with Publix. I think Harris Teeter is up there too, but that's a downtown-y area

Chris
07-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Lidl and Aldi are practically identical. Rearrange the letters, and they even spell the same. :roll2

Pike
07-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Lidl and Aldi are practically identical. Rearrange the letters, and they even spell the same.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9a0u6GWz21r115hxo4_250.gif

Shorty
07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
man you guys we don't have Aldi here

But Safeway is god-tier

I was going to say, what the hell is this aldi stuff

Safeway is king!

so I guess I am a brand whore

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
No. Yall have Food City. Lol I can dig FC .

.... That would be the equivalent of Food Lion here though.

Idk if there's anything cheaper than that

Shorty
07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Food City is the worst. Dane Cook's description of Walgreens makes me think of Food City.

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Food City = official grocery store of most of the Mexicans in phoenix. Haha

Shorty
07-07-2013, 08:23 PM
You are not wrong and that is unfortunate.

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 08:25 PM
XD. Oh wait. We also would shop at that farmers market type place wherever the hell it is on the west side. I guess it's in Glendale. I can't remember.

Shorty
07-07-2013, 08:26 PM
"Farmer's market" is not a brand name!

noxious.sunshine
07-07-2013, 08:31 PM
They have brand names there, though ;p
Idk wth it's called. It's a big giant grocery store place.. I'm finna Google it. Lol. ....

Phoenix Ranch Market

XD hella Mexican. What what?

Jowy
07-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Going into Safeway puts me in an uncontrollable violent rage if I'm in there for more than five minutes. The Safeway's I've been to outside of Washington have been pretty rad though.

Pike
07-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Come to our Safeway, Eric

We just got a new one last year and it's bitchin'

Jowy
07-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Anecdotal proof:

Safeway - University District - Seattle, WA (http://www.yelp.com/biz/safeway-seattle-6)

Safeway - University District - Seattle, WA (http://www.yelp.com/biz/safeway-seattle-3)

Safeway - Queen Anne - Seattle, WA (http://www.yelp.com/biz/safeway-seattle-7)

Shaibana
07-09-2013, 09:50 PM
my sister is a 'brand whore'.. i am not
she will only eat bread from the 'expensive' baker.
she will only drink Coca cola, and she always picks the more expensive stuff becaus she refuses to eat any house-brand.

p.s i actually prefer the supermarkt's bread, it tastes better

Denmark
07-09-2013, 10:39 PM
times when it doesn't matter: milk, eggs, fruits, vegetables, etc. it all comes from the same places and just gets branded or packaged differently. basic products.

times when it does matter: booze, sodas, other things made with specific recipes and ingredients. the recipes make a difference.

noxious.sunshine
07-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Booze. Definitely. I am a brand whore with booze.

Milk. I will only drink Mayfield brand. But they don't -have- Mayfield brand up here, thus, I don't drink milk. I'm not a huge milk drinker anyway.