PDA

View Full Version : Snail Mail

Loony BoB
07-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Before some people get their hopes through the roof, no, this isn't a thread where I'm asking for people to write to, sorry. I'm going to attempt to start writing letters to one person I wrote to religiously as a kid, and a new person as well. I'm not sure I can write to more people than that. D=

Do you write to people still? Do you still love it when you get letters? Do you ever get them at all? Do you miss the days when you didn't have the internet and thus could avoid replying IMMEDIATELY at every turn, and could instead take time with pen and paper?

Discuss snail mail, and if you do still write to specific people regularly, discuss how you go about it. Do you talk to that person outside of letters? How does that affect the flow of the letters?

etc. etc. etc.

Chris
07-07-2013, 10:03 PM
I wrote Christmas letters/cards to people here but still haven't received all of them. :cry:

Agent Proto
07-07-2013, 10:07 PM
When I was with my ex, we would used to write each other letters via snail mail. It felt more personal to read something that was written rather than typed up on the computer. :3

Pike
07-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Getting mail these days sucks because it's 90% bills and 10% ads.

For a while, though, waaay, back in the day I was in a long distance relationship with a guy and almost all of our communication was through snail mail. I haven't seen the guy in years but I've still got all those letters somewhere.

Leeza
07-07-2013, 10:43 PM
The only snail mail I get/receive are Christmas/birthday cards. I do miss receiving letters, but to tell you the truth I sure do not miss writing them because I don't really like writing. I've been typing for so long that my writing is very illegible. So illegible that I could be a doctor because that seems to be a prerequisite for them. :) :cat:

Chemical
07-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Even if I rarely get something in return (I last received a mixed punk cd) I love to send snail mail. It helps to feel closer to home and when I do get stuff it can go on my wall. I have a collection of pics, cards, posters, letters and stamps.

Formalhaut
07-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Like what Pike said: 90% of mail is bad news, or junk. Often both.

I'd like to send written friendly letters, but the price of stamps and envelopes and whatnot is slightly a drag.

Shauna
07-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Let's write letters to each other!

Jinx
07-07-2013, 11:59 PM
I WANT FRIENDS TO WRITE :(

Raistlin
07-08-2013, 01:28 AM
I write letters for professional or work-related reasons, but that's about it. Most of the non-spam mail I get is just bills or work-related stuff. I generally don't send or receive personal letters, except for birthdays or Christmas of course.

Calliope
07-08-2013, 01:48 AM
I do not regularly receive any mail, although we're moving house in a week and it would be nice to start writing again. I will often send thank you cards or postcards in the mail, and for a while had a little club going with some local friends where we would all make our own postcards and send them to each other.

Two of my favourite authors recently published a book of letters (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/books/review/here-and-now-by-paul-auster-and-j-m-coetzee.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0) to each other spanning a number of years. I love the idea of corresponding with someone so regularly, sending thoughts winging through the post.

noxious.sunshine
07-08-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm too lazy for all that ish.

Pumpkin
07-08-2013, 03:44 AM
I used to have a penpal from China. I liked her.

noxious.sunshine
07-08-2013, 05:20 AM
We did penpals in like 3rd grade to a class in like Maryland or something.

*snort* the last Snail Mail I got was from my ex in Phoenix after he got locked up & we kinda "got back together" (read: I got a job and was stupid enough to money in his commissary.).

My best friend and I both had fax machines at one point when we were in like 6th or 7th grade.. We'd fax each other all day long. It was quite amusing.

Rebellious Eagle
07-08-2013, 05:43 PM
I used to write letters to Matt since we're long distance but we don't do that much anymore since we talk through other means a lot. But it is always nice to get a heartfelt written letter :D

Formalhaut
07-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I feel like a lovely, handwritten letter has alot more emotional weight than an electronic message for sure.

Sephex
07-08-2013, 05:48 PM
I get confused because there is no auto correct feature on paper, so I draw red squiggly lines under words I think are spelled wrong.

Psychotic
07-08-2013, 06:12 PM
I write letters all the time for work!

Dear Mr Bank, please let this person who owes you £10,000 pay you £1 per month. Thanks!

Shauna
07-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Dear Mr Bank, please let this person who owes you £10,000 pay you £1 per month. Thanks!

No. :nonono:

Psychotic
07-08-2013, 06:36 PM

No. :nonono:I would estimate that less than 1% of the responses I get say that. Your lot are utter bastards though.

Loony BoB
07-08-2013, 06:37 PM
You handwrite those things, Psy?

Shauna
07-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Your lot are utter bastards though.

We have hospitals and schools to run, man!

Psychotic
07-08-2013, 06:41 PM
You handwrite those things, Psy?Absolutely. I think it's my penmanship that seals the deal and it's why I have such a high success rate.
We have hospitals and schools to run, man!:greenie: