PDA

View Full Version : UK Netflix is terrible.

Pike
07-10-2013, 12:28 AM
So I've been watching stuff on Netflix and Hux decided to get it too so we could sync up and watch stuff together while on Skype, but as it turns out Netflix hates money and only has like 10% of their stuff available for UK viewers. :colbert: So now the only thing we can watch together is Blackadder. :doublecolbert: (Not complaining about that last part, but)

NorthernChaosGod
07-10-2013, 02:14 AM
What's the topic of discussion? :p

Madame Adequate
07-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Why UK NetFlix is terrible, experiences with NetFlix and similar services, and ways which may exist to cir-sum-vrent the region locking.

NorthernChaosGod
07-10-2013, 02:24 AM
I love NetFlix because I'm in the US. :D

Have you tried proxies? Maybe seven of them?

Sephex
07-10-2013, 02:51 AM
I've been watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I suppose if it is on the UK version you could find it under "Pauperize Naughty."

Jinx
07-10-2013, 03:26 AM
All I've ever experience is US Netflix. I'd say it's okay.

Netflix has been on my shit list since they took Avatar: The Last Airbender and South Park off.

Shoden
07-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Its a simple case of using an addon or two and *boom* you can access the US Netflix anytime. I'd go on but its probably a bit, er, to mention on here specifically.

Shorty
07-10-2013, 04:19 AM
I'd be wary of trying to sync Netflix together anyway. Rantz and I have done it in the past and every twenty minutes "STOP PAUSE NETFLIX IS LOADING"

Also, I want to boycott Netflix because they are removing Home Movies after the 14th or some unbelieveable trout. :colbert:

edit: holy shit they have roger rabbit all is forgiven

Laddy
07-10-2013, 04:21 AM
How to watch US Netflix from a UK Netflix Account - The Easy Way - (http://whats-on-netflix.com/other/watch-us-netflix-on-uk-netflix-account-easy/)

Freya
07-10-2013, 05:24 AM
haha yeah I was about to link hola for them haha nice job laddy

Aulayna
07-10-2013, 08:56 AM
If you think UK Netflix is bad, you ain't seen nothing son. Irish Netflix has about 5% of what UK Netflix has.

Pike
07-10-2013, 10:32 AM
How to watch US Netflix from a UK Netflix Account - The Easy Way - (http://whats-on-netflix.com/other/watch-us-netflix-on-uk-netflix-account-easy/)

Laddy delivers.

I spent forever searching for this kind of stuff yesterday and didn't stumble upon this website, so kudos my friend :cheers:

If you think UK Netflix is bad, you ain't seen nothing son. Irish Netflix has about 5% of what UK Netflix has.

On the plus side you guys probably have Father Ted.

Mirage
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I like how he made that long video and then the site said it was "tricky"

It could be summed up by "change your console's DNS settings to 123.456.789.012" or whatever the IP was.

Cloudane
07-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Media Hint is the plugin I use for much the same thing. What I wasn't aware of earlier, is that you can use your UK account still (it sees you as "travelling") so you don't have to muck around trying to get a US postal address etc.

Far as I've been able to tell, it's legal as the regionalisation agreement is between Netflix and the content providers or something like that. And that Netflix quietly don't really mind. Just a teeny bit shady. But US Netflix is soooo much better!

I think the biggest laugh I had recently with it was when the US one had newer seasons of Doctor Who (you know, that show by the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation) than the UK one.

Oh and in general, region locking / only releasing in certain countries is a really stupid idea in the internet age anyway. I actually can't support my favourite show even I wanted to, they literally don't want my money.

Psychotic
07-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Yes it is and yes Hola is an absolute godsend.

Inferno
07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I attended some cloud computing conferences a few weeks ago, and a Netlfix developer talked about the infrastructures. Anyway he mentionned that the bandwidth they generate in North America is HUGE

Netflix accounts for one-third of all North American bandwidth | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/netflix-accounts-for-one-third-of-all-north-american-bandwidth-1110904)

A new report from Sandvine revealed some startling numbers about the way people use the internet between the hours of 9 p.m. and 12 a.m. on any given night.

According to Sandvine's latest research, some 65 percent of all web traffic during those peak hours is devoted to streaming services.

Even more impressive is the fact that Netflix accounts for 33 percent of all streaming traffic during that same time frame in North America.

Jiro
07-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Well I guess I use these crazy tricks if I want Netflix in Australia, but I don't feel comfortable giving money to dickbitches who don't offer their product in my country. Illegal acquisition for me.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-11-2013, 12:24 AM
I can say that all we use for T.V. here is basically Netflix. I can't remember the last time I used the cable box.

Also, they removed Star Gate months ago. ;___________;