PDA

View Full Version : Doing The Household Chores

Formalhaut
07-10-2013, 02:52 AM
It seems like lately all I hear is how much housework everyone is doing. Granted, I do talk to Shion pretty much everyday, which makes this pretty much an inevitability, but other people too do housework pretty much everyday and sometimes it's their job (See thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/eyes-each-other/151118-should-home-makers-get-paid.html))

http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/fan/sir6/cleankirby.PNG
Kirby here, doing yet another day of household chores

All this cleaning talk has inspired me to create a thread all about cleaning and other misc. household chores.

I clean everyday. I don't especially have to, my mum doesn't expect me to at all actually, but I feel obliged to chip in. I always do the washing up at least once a day (sometimes twice if it's a heavy load) and that also entails wiping down the counters with the spray and whatnot. At least once a week I'll hoover the floors as well and dust some of the rooms. It's not ground breaking, nor is it 'alot', in real terms, but I like to chip in. Actually, I find cleaning somewhat therapeutic. Slip in some music, and I can quite enjoy it.

Now, I don't do the laundry, and I can only imagine how annoying that can be. I should probably learn actually, if I'm going to university this year. Always helps to know these things.

But what about you guys? How much cleaning do you do? Are you the only one in the house who cleans? Do you 'enjoy' it? Do you loath it? Do you have a schedule or rota or any sort of system in place (I do the washing up this week, you do it the next or your a dead man) and finally, what sort of tips do you have to make the process easier?

Many of our members pain themselves to do the most tedious of chores. How can we make the process go that bit easier?

Sephex
07-10-2013, 02:57 AM
I'll do minor cleaning like sweeping the floor (I have wood floors) and general organization every other day. For more major stuff I'll wait a week or two. I am not that great of housekeeper, but I been doing a lot better with more space ever since I moved into a condo.

As for how I motivate myself? The second I come home from work, I will just do it. Why? Because I've been working for hours already, so I still have that kind of mentality.

noxious.sunshine
07-10-2013, 03:19 AM
I'm constantly cleaning. Especially the kitchen and bedroom. I can get kinda messy when I cook, but I can't stand for the kitchen to be gross. It drives me nuts. Jay is messy in general. He comes home, slings his crap everywhere , leaves dirty dishes wherever.. My 5 yr old is neater than he is. So yeah. It's a constant never ending process. Heh.

Jinx
07-10-2013, 03:24 AM
I clean sometimes. I cleaned Denmark's bathroom for him recently.

AND IT BETTER STILL BE CLEAN WHEN I GET THERE THIS WEEKEND OR SO HELP ME GOD :mad2:

Sephex
07-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Denmark you should poop on your floor it will be funny

Formalhaut
07-10-2013, 03:27 AM
Denmark you should poop on your floor it will be funny

Don't just stop there! Smear it all over the walls as well. And just let the pee fly everywhere too. You know, just let it all hang out. I'm sure Sam will clean it for you. :p

Jinx
07-10-2013, 03:27 AM
God damn it, Justin.

You too, Jordan. You're getting a spanking.

Denmark
07-10-2013, 03:28 AM
I clean sometimes. I cleaned Denmark's bathroom for him recently.

AND IT BETTER STILL BE CLEAN WHEN I GET THERE THIS WEEKEND OR SO HELP ME GOD :mad2:

the bathroom is clean! YOU BETTER ACTUALLY BE COMING THIS WEEKEND

i'm pretty bad at keeping my apartment clean tbh. i need to wash my dishes.

Sephex
07-10-2013, 03:29 AM
Then

LEAVE THE TOILET SEAT UP.

Pumpkin
07-10-2013, 03:43 AM
That kirby is adorable :jess:

My cleaning schedule (daily tasks in italics):
Sunday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, do laundry, clean the toaster oven, coffee maker, and microwave.
Monday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, clean the bathroom toilet, sink, mirror, and shower, mop, reorganize the shelves and drawers if needed.
Tuesday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, dust, clean the washer and dryer.
Wednesday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, laundry: work clothes, towels, bed sheets and blankets, wash windows.
Thursday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, clean the bathroom toilet, sink and mirror, wash and/or dust cupboards, drawers and shelves.
Friday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, mop, clean burners, clean oven, furniture (under cushions, etc).
Saturday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, dust, and clean, organize, sort fridge.

Formalhaut
07-10-2013, 03:51 AM
That kirby is adorable :jess:

My cleaning schedule (daily tasks in italics):
Sunday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, do laundry, clean the toaster oven, coffee maker, and microwave.
Monday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, clean the bathroom toilet, sink, mirror, and shower, mop, reorganize the shelves and drawers if needed.
Tuesday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, dust, clean the washer and dryer.
Wednesday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, laundry: work clothes, towels, bed sheets and blankets, wash windows.
Thursday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, clean the bathroom toilet, sink and mirror, wash and/or dust cupboards, drawers and shelves.
Friday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, mop, clean burners, clean oven, furniture (under cushions, etc).
Saturday:
Dishes, wipe the counter, wipe the stove, wipe the table, sweep, pick up anything laying around and put it away, dust, and clean, organize, sort fridge.

What even?! I feel sorry for you. Heck I'd volunteer chipping in if I lived anywhere near you.

And very clever Sephex. Very very clever.

Calliope
07-10-2013, 04:02 AM
Between posting things here this evening I've cleaned the bathroom (shower, bathtub, sink, mirror, toilet). About to do the floor. Eoff helps me procrastinate and break up many kinds of chores.

Pumpkin
07-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Meh, it's not so bad. Wednesday's are kind of annoying though because the comforter for our bed needs to be hand washed. Also window washing is unpleasant because last summer there were lizards all over the kitchen windows and I've only seen one this year but it still scares me. The rest is okay.

fire_of_avalon
07-10-2013, 04:11 AM
I feel like a total slob compared to Ashton, but I don't think I'm really that bad compared to everybody else.

Do you ever go over to your friend's house and you're really close so they don't feel the need to tidy up for you so you see all their weird bathroom stuff or what have you?

Shorty
07-10-2013, 04:11 AM
I put off cleaning as long as possible because I hate it. I only have my room or my laundry to do and those things tend to get done as late as possible on Sunday evening and during the week I'll usually help my mom out with dishes/vacuuming and dusting.

Do you ever go over to your friend's house and you're really close so they don't feel the need to tidy up for you so you see all their weird bathroom stuff or what have you?

Yep!

Agent Proto
07-10-2013, 04:15 AM
I don't like doing chores. However, considering I live with my mother, she usually makes me do some chores around the house from time to time. Usually vacuuming, putting away the dishes, cleaning my room, sweeping the porch, and other mundane tasks.

Calliope
07-10-2013, 04:20 AM

When I was a kid, I used to do many chores without asking and would hate being interrupted or discovered doing them, because I like the idea of everything suddenly being magically clean. When I was a bachelorette, I would keep things tidy and do a house-wide cleaning each Saturday. Now I'm married and it's a game of "chicken" as to who has to do the dishes. We don't even have that many dishes, we just both hate doing them. Everything else gets done fine, although I insist on being the only one to do things like clean out the fridge.

Anyway, YES FOA! However, I don't care HOW close a friend you are, you better smurfing give me notice because if you're coming over, my house has to look immaculate, and I have to have cooked/baked something, because I have to be THE BEST HOST, okay? Of course, most people who come over are just dropping me off/picking me up, so it's usually a mess but they insist of seeing me to the door anyway :stare: :onoes:

However, we move house this weekend and then EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE :beer:

Pike
07-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I clean like twice a year.

Okay, I do laundry every three weeks when I run out of fresh underwear I guess.

Formalhaut
07-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Haha. My best friend doesn't even come close to bothering. His room is positively messy - clothes strewn around, books on the floor...

I'd be personally horrified if my room was like that and people saw it in that way.

Aulayna
07-10-2013, 10:52 AM
I just clean as I go really. If I cook something I wash up what I've used once I'm done with it and likewise wash the dish/knife/fork once I'm done. Wipe up any stains etc. Every couple of weeks I'll mop/hoover and do one big clean/re-organise once a month or so.

Mirage
07-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I hardly ever do household chores anymore. I just clean and tidy a bit on the weekends.

Cloudane
07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
My parents don't ever tidy anything ever. The house is a total and complete tip, like those horrifying documentaries on TV (but without the rotting stuff, they're at least wise enough not to leave foodstuff lying around)

To an extent I've inherited their lack of energy (come home from work, and I just don't have the energy to do chores) but I do manage stuff at weekends and so have my room as my little oasis of tidiness.

I completely loathe ironing. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Mirage
07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Ironing is like the best chore. It's so easy to watch tv while doing it!

Formalhaut
07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
My parents don't ever tidy anything ever. The house is a total and complete tip, like those horrifying documentaries on TV (but without the rotting stuff, they're at least wise enough not to leave foodstuff lying around)

:stare: That would horrify me. How do you live in that!

Cloudane
07-10-2013, 10:35 PM
You kind of get used to it after 31 years, like tuning out a bad smell or noise :p

fire_of_avalon
07-11-2013, 05:26 AM
OH MAN do you guys know that show that is a BBC show that comes on here too with the fancy lady with perfect hair and she wears these latex cleaning gloves in a variety of colors but they always have feathers or beats on them?

Anyway in that show they clean up people's houses and it's DISGUSTING AND AMAZING

Flaming Ice
07-11-2013, 05:30 AM
Usually clean the toilet once a week and do dishes, my mom usually does my laundry before I can.

I clean more around the house than my room :) But I have tons of stuff for when I move out..

Shauna
07-11-2013, 02:13 PM
OH MAN do you guys know that show that is a BBC show that comes on here too with the fancy lady with perfect hair and she wears these latex cleaning gloves in a variety of colors but they always have feathers or beats on them?

Anyway in that show they clean up people's houses and it's DISGUSTING AND AMAZING

How Clean Is Your House, or something? It's awful. But also morbidly enjoyable.

Flaming Ice
07-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Tenant's are worse anyways.....black toilet, black bath tub, food stuck on the bedroom floor....

Yuck.....unless they wanted mice for pets.....