PDA

View Full Version : Bought FFVII recently on the PC? Make it look sort of like a HD Remaster

Aulayna
07-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Thanks to the world of fan modding you can prettify FFVII if you want! It looks pretty slick all the things considered. :)

How To Make Final Fantasy VII Look Like An HD Remaster (http://kotaku.com/how-to-make-final-fantasy-vii-look-like-an-hd-remaster-715805917?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow)

Mirage
07-10-2013, 12:15 PM
but the backgrounds still look like tit

Chris
07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
It looks pretty great to me. :D

Raistlin
07-15-2013, 12:23 AM
That's pretty cool, but it would be a bit weird for me, at least at first. There's something nostalgic about the original graphics.

Carl the Llama
07-16-2013, 12:57 AM
I have known about this for a while and have modded the game significantly, I wonder if we could do an Eyes on Plays Modded VII?

comma
07-16-2013, 05:52 AM
I thought about modding but decided not to. I figured I'd go with the original character designs, the way the game was meant to be played. Playing the "remastered" version and not seeing the models turned into jagged blurs is good enough for me.

Carl the Llama
07-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Dude you really are missing out big time, I have started playing the Lost Wing mod version of the game and its a lot more challenging. Enemies are tougher, the whole feel of it is awesome and the music... I just cant get over how epic the music sounds, its just amazing.

The Lost Wing mod has the following additions:

-Hundreds of enemy modifications.
-Extensive Weapons Modifications. Use of previously unused damage formulas. Weapons for Young Cloud and Sephiroth
-Armor and Accessories Modifications.
-Magic/Summons have been extensively modified. Fat-Chocobo replaces Titan and Each of Odin's attacks are on their own materia. No more KOR, but try out Zantetsuken
-A few new items for inducing Limit Breaks and Transformed status and power-ups
-New materia! Not only new materia for new spells, but many independant and support materia have been modified.
-Toggle 2x and 4x cut between multiple (random) enemies, and single enemy.
-New character portraits
-If you have a gameshark hacking program you can use control Sephiroth and Young Cloud with Limit Breaks and they level up! (I can provide the codes at a later time)
-A buncha other stuff that is more subtle and difficult to list

On the whole it is just about everything you I could hope for in a remastered edition of FFVII oh and in case I haven't nerdgasemed about the music enough, ITS smurfING AMAZING! :D

comma
07-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Well, that sounds interesting. I could give it a shot. Are all the NPCs and polygonal objects upgraded with new models, too?

Jinx
07-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Wait, does the new PC version actually look upgraded?

Mirage
07-17-2013, 12:25 AM
No, you need to mod it yourself.

comma
07-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Wait, does the new PC version actually look upgraded?Yes, it does. They made some additions to the character texture maps (mainly mouths) and greatly increased the rendering resolution of the polygon models, so they all look crisp when the game runs at 1080p. It's a huge improvement over the PSX version, even though nothing was technically remodeled.

They recently announced that they're doing the same thing for FFVIII, which I will probably also buy. There are screenshot previews available in every article about it. Compare it to the original; there's a big difference in the characters.

New PC remaster:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2013/05/130517ff8.jpg

Original:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/lebatte/viii-original_zps17c97ba3.jpg

Mirage
07-17-2013, 02:08 AM
First screen looks just like FF8 looked in the first PC version. Just sayin.

Carl the Llama
07-17-2013, 03:04 AM
So I am going to do a complete run through with pictures and everything, I will list the options I am using and what you can do to recreate these effects in a separate thread (which I will make tomorrow).

Side note: I was intending to use the Lost Wing mod but its incredibly buggy apparently and nigh unplayable, such game breaking side effects include:

Not being able to heal Aerith or restore her MP through any means during battle.*
Cloud deals 0 damage to certain enemies.*
Barrett deals 0 damage to certain enemies.*
Jenova allegedly has 80k HP at the end of disk 1 (apparently this is doable but it takes a loooong time)
The fight against Rude Reno and Elena in Sector 8, Rude can wipe out your entire party 1 hit style
Apparently the enemies on disk 3 all do 5k hits each turn when average levels have your HP at 6k by that time.

There are no doubt others, and these side effects (aside from the sector 8 fight and the mega hard enemies) might not be in all installs of Lost Wing, but do you really want to get to <Boss name> and find out a member of your party does 0 damage to them? props to you if you do. I was told that the mod was originally intended to be used on the ePSXe version of the game and thats why it has so many bugs when translated to the PC version.

I might also after I tried this I decided to try the Hardcore mod and half way through the first bombing mission I encountered an enemy that 1 hit my party so I decided there and then to give that one a miss. So, the version I will be playing will have the graphical mods but I am fed up with encountering bugs and 1 hit enemies so I will be playing the game on the original battle mechanics setting.

*I have personally encountered these glitches.

EDIT: here is a few screenies of the game from various my playthroughs (Lost Wing/Hardcore/Normal)

http://puu.sh/3EJ8n

http://puu.sh/3EcAL

http://puu.sh/3EJUK.jpg

comma
07-17-2013, 03:20 AM
First screen looks just like FF8 looked in the first PC version. Just sayin.Okay, guy, everybody knows FFVIII PC was notorious for having worse graphics than the PSX version. Final Fantasy VIII - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/01/29/final-fantasy-viii-2)

Jeesh, just because you were wrong about the graphical improvements of the new FFVII...

Mirage
07-17-2013, 04:21 AM
I was wrong about the graphical improvements of FFVII? When?

I said the backgrounds still looked bad, and as apparent from one of those screenshots, I am right :p.

Jinx
07-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Wow, Carl. That's actually fairly impressive, when you consider what the PSX version looked like.

comma
07-17-2013, 05:25 AM

NoMirage, this is what I was talking about. But anyway...

Mirage
07-17-2013, 08:30 AM
The 3d res has never been very problematic to increase, even before the recent rerelease. You could increase the res on the original game too, it just didn't make much of an impact to me, because the lack of detail in backgrounds always overshadowed it, at least for me. In fact, the difference in resolution between 2d and 3d makes things look worse to me. Ff8 on pc has the same problem.

I always had the pre-rendered backgrounds in mind when I talked about improvements, sorry if I didn't make that clearer.

Carl the Llama
07-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Wait, does the new PC version actually look upgraded?Yes, it does. They made some additions to the character texture maps (mainly mouths) and greatly increased the rendering resolution of the polygon models, so they all look crisp when the game runs at 1080p. It's a huge improvement over the PSX version, even though nothing was technically remodeled.

They recently announced that they're doing the same thing for FFVIII, which I will probably also buy. There are screenshot previews available in every article about it. Compare it to the original; there's a big difference in the characters.

New PC remaster:
*snip*

Original:
*snip*

That is Final Fantasy VIII, nothing to do with the modified version of Final Fantasy VII, which is the subject of this thread.

First screen looks just like FF8 looked in the first PC version. Just sayin.Okay, guy, everybody knows FFVIII PC was notorious for having worse graphics than the PSX version. Final Fantasy VIII - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/01/29/final-fantasy-viii-2)

Jeesh, just because you were wrong about the graphical improvements of the new FFVII...

I was wrong about the graphical improvements of FFVII? When?

NoMirage, this is what I was talking about. But anyway...

You completely took his quote out of context, I believe what Sam was asking was whether the newly released edition on steam would automatically look like the pictures in my post/the link Aulayna posted in the original post, which means he was dead on when he said this:

No, you need to mod it yourself.

Which is where you to the no he wrote out of context.

comma
07-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Someone asked if the new version looked better, and he said no, you need to mod it. Wrong. End of story. Doesn't matter what his opinion of the upgrade is; it was upgraded, and that's what the person wanted to know.

I used screenshots of FFVIII because I had just made them earlier and they showed the same exact type of improvement as you can see in the FFVII re-release.

Sorry for trying to accurately inform the person who asked the question.

Carl the Llama
07-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Someone asked if the new version looked better, and he said no, you need to mod it. Wrong. End of story. Doesn't matter what his opinion of the upgrade is; it was upgraded, and that's what the person wanted to know.

I used screenshots of FFVIII because I had just made them earlier and they showed the same exact type of improvement as you can see in the FFVII re-release.

Sorry for trying to accurately inform the person who asked the question.

Dude, you ARE wrong, Sam was asking if it looked the way it did IN THE ORIGINAL POST, which HAS been heavily modified, nothing to do with the minor changes from 1998 PC version to 2012 Steam version.

Accurately informing someone that the pics provided in the link from the original post is exactly what Mirage did. Followed up by posts of the modified game that I to provided always way accurately informing her that the steam version require modification to resemble them.

Had you been accurately informing her, you would have said the following: "The Steam version has had some minor upgrades, as details here <insert info>, but to have the game look the way it does in the original post, you need to modify the game.

You were not the one to "accurately inform the person who asked the question." End of subject.

Jinx
07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I wanted to know if the pictures Carl is posting is what the 2012 version looks like. Apparently not without mods.

FFS, guys. It's something silly to argue over. xD

comma
07-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Well, that's not what Tifa asked. "Does the new PC version look upgraded?" is not the same as "Are the above pictures how the game looks by default?" I answered the actual question, while the other guy answered a question that wasn't asked. My bad.

If he was right, I don't know why he was being picky in post #12 about what I posted. It seemed like he was mad that I contradicted him. If that's not the case, I apologize. But really, no need to stomp all over my FFVIII pics. Like I explained in my first post, they're relevant because that's exactly what they did to FFVII.

Jinx
07-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Well, that's not what Tifa asked. "Does the new PC version look upgraded?" is not the same as "Are the above pictures how the game looks by default?" I answered the actual question, while the other guy answered a question that wasn't asked. My bad.

If he was right, I don't know why he was being picky in post #12 about what I posted. It seemed like he was mad that I contradicted him.

...I actually asked both questions.

EDIT: Or rather, that's what I meant.

comma
07-22-2013, 12:16 AM
EDIT: Or rather, that's what I meant.Well, I'm glad you got the answer you were looking for. I wouldn't have gone so far out of my way to explain exactly how they upgraded the 2012 version if I knew what you meant to ask.

Carl the Llama
07-22-2013, 02:08 AM

It's implied because of the thread it is posted in: about how you can give the game a completely different feel through mods.

If he was right, I don't know why he was being picky in post #12 about what I posted. It seemed like he was mad that I contradicted him. If that's not the case, I apologize. But really, no need to stomp all over my FFVIII pics. Like I explained in my first post, they're relevant because that's exactly what they did to FFVII.

Tbh I don't really think what he said was him being picky, as he said, he was mealy pointing out the first picture you linked looked a lot like the original FFVIII PC Version.

The second picture was (without a doubt) the original PSX version of the game.