PDA

View Full Version : Taking up a new hobby

Night Fury
07-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Since it's only a week before I leave to Australia, I was thinking of different things I could do out there to make settling in a bit easier.

I'd like to take up painting - I did an art class in school and I loved it and I love art, but it has sadly taken a backseat in my life while I pursued other options.

Learn to play an instrument - I'd love to learn guitar, and I know Phil plays it so I think him teaching me would be fun! :)

Blogging - I'm starting up a new blog to document my travels and what I'm doing so my friends over in the UK can keep up with me if they so desire. This will include a YouTube channel, and I hope by doing this I might get better at Photography. My Dad is an amazing photographer and I'd love to be as good as him.

Join a Gym Class - I'm thinking something like Aerobics, just something light and fun that I'd only have to do like once or twice a week. I love dance, and I was a Cheerleader and in a dance group for a while so it would be good to increase my fitness levels again and maybe get back into dancing properly. I'd actually LOVE to take a Pole Dance class but I don't think I'm fit enough yet.

What hobbies would you like to pick up in the next few months?

Quindiana Jones
07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Pro-tip: ain't nobody fit enough for pole dancing until they start doing it. srsly. That trout works you in the most unusual ways, so you may as well just jump straight in. :up:

Also, send vids.

Not really a hobby, but now I have a nifty little leccy moped, I'm gonna be doing a bit more travelling around my city to see more of it. I feel a bit closed off, so it should help me shake the Samey-Sameys.

Started exercising again a couple of months back, so obviously I intend to keep that up. Looking and feeling better than I have in a long while, so woohoo.

Night Fury
07-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Pro-tip: ain't nobody fit enough for pole dancing until they start doing it. srsly. That trout works you in the most unusual ways, so you may as well just jump straight in. :up:

Also, send vids.

I have heard this! I may give it a go... Maybe, too shy I think but I should try it right? YOLO and all that :ahem:

And no. :colbert:

Shauna
07-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I wish I had a hobby that wasn't the internet or video games. xD I feel like I am severely stunting myself.

Pumpkin
07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I'd like to pick up a hobby. A lot of classes and stuff cost money. For now I write and play video games.

Also slowly trying to learn Spanish.

Quindiana Jones
07-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Also, send vids.

I have heard this! I may give it a go... Maybe, too shy I think but I should try it right? YOLO and all that :ahem:

And no. :colbert:

Pro-tip: everybody's shy about pole dancing because either a) it's really hard and maybe they won't look to good in short shorts and tank tops, and/or b) only strippers pole dance, right? Don't worry about b, because it's dumb, and don't worry about a, because yeah, it's probably true but man up. You can't expect to be good at something when you start doing it, or else what's the point in doing it?! :D

My friend does pole dancing and it killed her for the first month. She apparently looked a reet pleb, as she couldn't hold on very long, and even when she could, she couldn't do it very well. xD

Jinx
07-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I've taken up boating as a new hobby lately.

You should do the same. We'll be boat people together, Tara.

Aulayna
07-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Once I've finished unpacking and got all the stress of moving sorted out I'm considering getting back into drawing again. Also generally cooking more healthier food and getting back into the routine of going the gym. Was doing so well until I hurt my back and then fell of the bandwagon big time.

Loony BoB
07-10-2013, 03:00 PM
I want to write again. Same I'm only good at it when I'm writing about things that I don't give a damn about. I want to write something that expresses myself but I have a huge difficulty with doing that for some reason.

Beyond that, if anything I seem to be backing away from hobbies lately instead of looking for them. I have too much on my plate in recent weeks and I need more time to do nothing, not more time to do something. :p

Pheesh
07-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Quin.... thank you. Thank you so much.

Learning an instrument is awesome but I know that if I was teaching you guitar then you'd eventually get frustrated (cause everybody does, no exceptions), and then you'd yell and hit me because you know I'll end up forgiving you :(

Shorty
07-10-2013, 06:06 PM
So funny that you mention painting! I hope to acquire a canvas and some nice paints and brushes later this month. I've been writing about doing it in my livejournal a little bit and just need to go shopping for them!

I semi-picked up the guitar a little while ago but haven't been following through very well.

Formalhaut
07-10-2013, 06:17 PM
The whole pole dancing thing I think is an amazing idea as well Quin. I think it's too easily stereotyped as "raunchy, slutty and promiscuous" but in actuality it's a great exercise. I'm not saying that from experience obviously but I think you should definitely look into it at the very least.

In terms of hobbies in the next few months, I hope university opens me up to more. I'd love to use the university gym (with discounts, YES) because the cost of memberships really puts me off. I'd like to go to the gym, but it's really money and time. I do have an exercise bike at home though, and I have begun using that, so that's something.

I'd like to read more! I used to be really into reading but education took my focus away from that (unless I had to read a book for English Literature) so I'd love to read more. What else then for hobbies? Um... don't really have many come to think of it.

Night Fury
07-10-2013, 06:27 PM
The whole pole dancing thing I think is an amazing idea as well Quin. I think it's too easily stereotyped as "raunchy, slutty and promiscuous" but in actuality it's a great exercise. I'm not saying that from experience obviously but I think you should definitely look into it at the very least.

In terms of hobbies in the next few months, I hope university opens me up to more. I'd love to use the university gym (with discounts, YES) because the cost of memberships really puts me off. I'd like to go to the gym, but it's really money and time. I do have an exercise bike at home though, and I have begun using that, so that's something.

I'd like to read more! I used to be really into reading but education took my focus away from that (unless I had to read a book for English Literature) so I'd love to read more. What else then for hobbies? Um... don't really have many come to think of it.

I just bought a Kindle and I have loooooads of books downloaded that I can't wait to read!

Shiny
07-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Biking, snowboarding, and longboarding. I am not very good at the last one. I also would like to get back in to yoga as a hobby. I tried hot yoga recently and it was refreshing, but I dislike the smell of body ordor so will not be continuing with that.

Formalhaut
07-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I just bought a Kindle and I have loooooads of books downloaded that I can't wait to read!

Aww that's cool. I have a friend with a kindle. He downloaded the entire works of Shakespeare on it. Interesting. I'm not sure if I'm that into reading to purchase one. If I came into free money, then sure, but the Kindle isn't a must-buy purchase for me just now. :)

Biking

I want to get a bike. I'd love to go cycling around in the countryside and other nice scenic hotspots around Dorset. That would be awesome.

Jiro
07-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Let's see...

Spear-chuckin'
Boomerangin'
Surfin'
Chuggin' goon
Hikin'
Racin' yer commodore
Swearin'
Playin' sport
Fishin' in yer tinny
Pokies :bou::bou::bou::bou:
vloggin'

There are lots of things to do, it's more about seeing what is around you and what can fit in with everything else. I definitely recommend those pole dancing lessons, a friend of mine does it and she says it's fantastic exercise and I've always gotta act in brother Noodle Boy's best interest ;) Learning an instrument, or playing in a social sporting league is great too; you can find all sorts of random sports if you look.

Also, practising your photography in combination with exploring This Great CountryTM is definitely encouraged. Not only will you get to see great sights, you will be able to capture them and share 'em with the poor sods who don't live here.

Pheesh
07-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Don't worry Dak, I'll have her chuggin' goon. That not a hobby, it's a way of life, :bou::bou::bou::bou:!

noxious.sunshine
07-11-2013, 05:00 AM
I can help you with Spanish some, Shi, if you want. I'm not fluent, but I know enough to get by. More like... Intermediate.

I want to get back into working out like I did before. It's hard though cuz my back hurts so much all the time.. even when I sleep. Swimming laps is about all I can do that doesnt put too much pressure, but it's a lot embarrassing for me considering I was on a competitive swim team for 10 years.

I used to take private painting classes, and I loved it. I also took piano. But both when I was little. I'd like to get back into piano though. I have all of my lesson books lol. I love singing, but I don't think I'm so great at it. I'd like to get better.

Aside from all that, though.... Hmm. Idk. Growing a veggie garden would be great if we lived in a house.

Flaming Ice
07-11-2013, 05:18 AM
Painting

Fitness

Crafts (some sewing and different things to make plushies and various items)

Fitness Center (I'm going to one just need a bank draft for bi-weekly payments)

An instrument- need to find a store, Don't know why but I really want a harp (but they're very expensive)

Writing (though I keep getting burnt out for ideas...I have a few but need to elevate them, Besides I like fantasy but want to do some weapon research, etc to make it seem more realistic and I like cliches like elves :greenie:).

Dog shows look interesting too (in a way) but don't think my dog would have a chance anymore (he used to be a show dog before I even had him)